Start by marking “Reaching for the Moon” as Want to Read:
Reaching for the Moon

Reaching for the Moon

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  76 ratings  ·  20 reviews
I walked on the moon. This is my journey. But it didn't begin when I stepped on board Apollo 11 on July 1, 1969. It began the day I was born.

Becoming an astronaut took more than education, discipline, and physical strength. It took years of determination and believing that any goal is possible—from riding a bike alone across the George Washington Bridge at age ten to makin
Published May 20th 2008 by HarperCollins (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Reaching for the Moon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Reaching for the Moon

Laurie
Citation: Buzz Aldrin Reaching for the Moon, by Buzz Aldrin. (Harper Collins, 2005). 40p. Biography.

Summary: This narrative biography gives the reader a clear understanding of one of the first moon explorers.

Critique: (a.) The plot is successful in outlining events that led up to Buzz Aldrin’s steps on the moon. Aldrin chronicles his life and the choices he made that impacted his career.

(b.) The book provides the reader with a clear outline of Aldrin’s life. Important facts are presented in a l
Courtney
Genre: Autobiography
Summary: This autobiography is based on Buzz Aldrin’s life and his dream of becoming an astronaut. Evan as a small child, he knew wanted to be in space, starting by joining the air force and eventually becoming one of the first astronauts to the moon.

Critique:
a. The area for critique is the style
b. The style of this autobiography is very much like a story. Instead of just facts or a simple timeline, Aldrin briefly talks about all stages of his life from a child up to his big
Teresa Gartland
Reaching for the Moon is an autobiography of the Astronaut Buzz Aldrin; it is also a picture book. This autobiography is great for elementary students because it is laid out like a story so it would be easy for younger students to understand and become engaged in. Aldrin talks about his life, how he always wanted to become an astronaut and what it was like to go to the moon. He is very descriptive in his writing and gives the readers a look at what it was like to go to the moon and the illustrat ...more
Jan Rue
Written by Buzz Aldrin (2005) & illustrated by Wendell Minor. Great biography picture book about astronauts, reaching the moon, and Apollo 11. Since it is about his life, Buzz tells it in first person and readers get a different feel as the story unfolds. He explains how he became interested in the moon and traveling to it. He gives the account of actually being on the moon with Neil Armstrong. It is an amazing story and one I remember watching on the TV in 3rd grade at school. There are a l ...more
Allison Webster
This book belongs in the genre of biography/autobiography.

This book details Buzz Aldrin's journey to the moon. This story tells not only of Aldrin's space career, but also his childhood.

The area for critique is for plot. The plot of this autobiography reads like a story. This aspect makes the book more approachable for younger readers. Unlike the dry facts of other biographies/autobiographies, this book engages reader with both content and plot.

This book can be integrated into the curriculum
Jim
terrific autobiography, i learned a lot.

as a kid aldrin collected rocks, as an adult he did the same.
"Buzz" is explained, luck his sister didn't call him stinky.
one of the apollo 1 astronauts, ed white, was the friend that suggested aldrin apply to nasa.
aldrin is a genius - doctorate from MIT in aeronautics.

and Wendell Minor's art. there is a beautiful illo of the plane aldrin's father took him up in as a two year old. and the illustrations from the moon suggest minor was an apollo stowaway.
Sarah George
1) Genre: Biography
2) This inspirational book written by Buzz Aldrin teaches the reader about his life. The beautiful paintings along with the words tell the interesting story of this influential American's life.
3) a. Paintings
b. The illustrator, Wendell Minor, created beautiful pieces of artwork within this book.
c. For example: One of the pages in the book shows Buzz on top of the space craft in space.
4) Content Connection: This would be a good opener for a lesson on Buzz Aldrin's life and/or
Mrs. Wynn
I LOVE the art of Wendell Minor, and kids love space stories, so this one's a hit. I pair it with Moonshot: the Flight of Apollo 11 by Brian Floca, also beautifully illustrated.

I find both titles mentioned above appropriate for grades 2-5. Everyone will learn something. The thing most kids are amazed by is the fact that all those Apollo astronaut footprints will still be on the moon generations--if not millions of years--from now...provided nothing else lands or steps on them. No atmosphere, no
Amy
My niece, nephew, and I loved this book. Buzz Aldrin really did a fantastic job of telling this story and of making me feel what Americans must have felt when we first landed on the moon. The kids were riveted by the story, and I loved that they were listening to the lessons Buzz was teaching about working hard, following your dreams, serving your country, and exploration. It's just an awesome book, and the pictures are fantastic as well.
Mary Bennett
Buzz Aldrin Reaching for the Moon is a wonderfully written biography. Children will be memorized by the illustrations alone. The book is easy for young students to read and understand Aldrin's remarkable life. This book can be used in classrooms to teach students about Aldrin and space travel. I would recommend this book for any elementary classroom. Students will enjoy the book because it is visually appealing and simple to read.
H Wells Lucas
Outstanding from cover to cover, I love spaceflight and have since I was young. In fourth grade we were asked
to do a report on a famous American, I still remember searching for information about my subject, Neil
Armstrong, it was 1978. This book Is not only informational, but the paintings featured are exquisite. One of
my favorite books in my collection, the appendix features an easy-to-understand aviation timeline.
Matthew
Who would have thought that Buzz Aldrin could write so well? The entire story was superbly done, not the boring tome that so many famous individuals choose to write about their lives. I was thoroughly impressed with the entire tale. It was a great read, well written and illustrated. Of course, anytime you get a Wendall Minor book, you know you're getting top-of-the-line illustrations.
Julie
This autobiography has very good sequence to it. It is written in order and makes it easy for children to understand. Although it is historical and informational, I believe many children would enjoy this book. I like the idea of "reaching for the moon". Each child has his or her own moon and should be pushed toward achieving their goals as much as possible.
Ralf Urbach
Great read for youngsters on dreams and aspirations on becoming a space man. Loved how this gave us an inside look at Buzz Aldrins childhood and all of the things he did as a youngster. Good illustrations to go along with an easy read.
Hillvan
Engaging illustrations, that draw you into the story. The book is an autobiography. Mr. Aldrin shares his thoughts and dreams and beliefs, intermixed with the facts and process his life took. A very interesting story.
Stephanie
A great message in a children's book...dream big and don't let obstacles hold you back. An autobiographical story of Buzz Aldrin and his journey from childhood to the moon.
Theresa
written from his point of view, very easy to read in child language.
Mckinley
About his journey to the moon.
Valerie Stephenson
Valerie Stephenson marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2014
Greg
Greg marked it as to-read
Dec 23, 2014
Sharpcurve
Sharpcurve marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2014
Harut Simonyan
Harut Simonyan is currently reading it
Nov 05, 2014
Sean Downey
Sean Downey marked it as to-read
Oct 31, 2014
Brian
Brian added it
Oct 13, 2014
Lorna Black
Lorna Black marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2014
  • Spiders
  • Starry Messenger: Galileo Galilei
  • One Beetle Too Many: The Extraordinary Adventures of Charles Darwin
  • A Drop Of Water: A Book of Science and Wonder
  • Abe Lincoln Crosses a Creek: A Tall, Thin Tale (Introducing His Forgotten Frontier Friend)
  • Electrical Wizard: How Nikola Tesla Lit Up the World
  • Summer Birds: The Butterflies of Maria Merian
  • Team Moon: How 400,000 People Landed Apollo 11 on the Moon
  • Thank You, Sarah: The Woman Who Saved Thanksgiving
  • If You Decide To Go To The Moon
Buzz Aldrin (born Edwin Eugene Aldrin, Jr., January 20, 1930) is an engineer and former American astronaut, and the second person to walk on the Moon. He was the lunar module pilot on Apollo 11, the first manned lunar landing in history. He set foot on the Moon at 03:15:16 (UTC) on July 21, 1969, following mission commander Neil Armstrong. He is also a retired colonel in the United States Air Forc ...more
More about Buzz Aldrin...
Magnificent Desolation: The Long Journey Home from the Moon Encounter with Tiber Mission to Mars: My Vision for Space Exploration Men from Earth The Return