Start by marking “Evanly Bodies (Constable Evans, #10)” as Want to Read:
Evanly Bodies (Constable Evans, #10)

Evanly Bodies (Constable Evans #10)

Detective Constable Evan Evans and his new bride, Bronwen, are settling into married life in their little cottage above the village of Llanfair when they meet the daughter of one of the village’s newest families, a sixteen-year-old Pakistani girl named Jamila.

Bronwen and Jamila are becoming good friends when Jamila finds out from her parents that they have arranged a marri
Published August 8th 2006 by Minotaur Books

To ask other readers questions about Evanly Bodies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Evanly Bodies

Cfabrication
Jul 26, 2016 Cfabrication rated it it was ok
Ed
Mar 18, 2016 Ed rated it really liked it
#10 in the Constable Evans series. Unfortunately, this 2006 series entry appears to be the final appearance of the Welsh Constable. Too bad because this is the first book in which he is married. He has also been assigned to a special police task force and he has yet to face a winter in his new home on a hill. There must be something to hang a plot on.

Evan Evans series - Detective Constable Evan Evans and his new bride, Bronwen, are settling into married life in their little cottage above the vil
Leslie
Apr 19, 2014 Leslie rated it really liked it
As a huge, long-time fan of this series, I held onto this last book for many years before reading it. As always, it was a wonderful read. I was happy to catch up with Evan Evans and his new wife Bronfen (having followed their romance for so many books), but was somewhat dismayed by the relative absence of the villagers. Because Evan is assigned to a new team of investigators that's looking into a series of murders, he spends a great deal of time away from Llanfair and his quirky neighbors are ba ...more
Mark Baker
Mar 19, 2014 Mark Baker rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery, 2006
Evan is assigned to the murder of a professor through an open window. Meanwhile an Arab family moves into Llanfair, and they have problems of their own. The final book in the series features great twists and the usual charming characters.

While I love the author's two current series, I keep hoping she will find time to revisit Evan and company.

Read my full review at Carstairs Considers.
Kathy Davie
Aug 25, 2016 Kathy Davie rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
Tenth in the Constable Evans mystery series based in Wales and revolving around a Welsh policeman.

My Take
A clash of cultures, a seemingly unrelated series of murders, a brief glimpse into the strife at the Evanses just as Evans is promoted to a new and irritating unit at work and Bronwen is struggling to adapt to a much larger school and student population with the closure of the village school, and, lastly, the tragic perspective too many still have on spousal abuse.

It's adjustments for both as
Carol
Jul 14, 2007 Carol rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Mystery lovers
"Evanly Bodies" is the latest installment in Rhys Brown's Inspector Evan Evans series, set in Wales. It's a rather cozy police procedural and as is typical when you read a book from a series out of sequence, it seems as if the characters need more flushing out and there are allusions to previious books and Evan's heroic actions that are not explained.
Newly married Evan and his wife move to a village cottage and become involved with a Muslim family who's bought the village grocery. The usual prej
LJ
EVANLY BODIES (Police Procedural-Wales-Cont) – G
Bowen, Rhys – 10th in series
St. Martin’s Minotaur, 2006- Hardcover
*** DC Evan Evans is newley married to Brownen, a teacher. Brownen has befriended the daughter, Jamila, of a Muslim family recently moved to the village of Llanfair. Jamila’s brother has become quite militant in his views and has influenced the family to send Jamila back to Pakistan and into an arranged marriage. Jamila has expressed fear of her brother to Brownen and has now disappe
LG (A Library Girl's Familiar Diversions)
I loved Evan Can Wait, so I figured I'd try another Constable Evans book. These two books, by the way, were the only Constable Evans books I could get hold of at the library right away, but it doesn't appear to matter much which book in the series you start with. Like Beaton's Hamish Macbeth books, all you end up missing out on is a little character history. In Evan Can Wait, Evan was stressing out about his girlfriend and whether she might want to go back to her ex-husband. He hoped to marry he ...more
Ceejay
Sep 04, 2016 Ceejay rated it it was amazing
I'm sorry to say that this is the last mystery with Constable Evan Evans. But, Constable Evans goes out with a bang! This is a fantastic story with a brilliant ending! It's an ending that Agatha Cristie would love. Can Evan Evans tie together a runaway British/Pakistani teen and three murders? This novel is Rhys Evans at her best. All mystery lovers should read it, and enjoy what a great job Ms. Bowen has done.
Nancy H
Apr 04, 2015 Nancy H rated it really liked it
I really enjoy the 'Evan' series by Rhys Bowen. I love the setting in Wales, and the characters are just as great. This book deals with some interesting issues that appear in villages and towns everywhere, so even though it is set in Wales, there are universal themes and police problems. I am now caught up with this series, and can't wait until she writes another one.
Kate Donnelly
Dec 02, 2015 Kate Donnelly rated it it was ok
Evans becomes a part of a new special department. The man in charge is going to cause Evan problems. Three men have been murdered and have no connection with each other except they weapon used to kill them. Add a runaway Muslim girl and the possibility of terrorists. Evan saves the day,again.
Andrew
Jan 27, 2015 Andrew rated it it was amazing
A very good read. This has to be a record in terms of finishing a book. I am definitely going to keep an eye on this author and seek out some of her other books. It's a nice little story about a Welsh village. There's a wonderful atmosphere and it was a real pleasure to turn the pages, I never became bored. Excellent.
Gayle
Jan 25, 2009 Gayle rated it liked it
The Constable Evans series by Rhys Bowen features Evan Evans, a Welsh policeman who lives in the fictional town of Llanfair and solves a remarkable number of murders for such a small village. In Evanly Bodies, Evans, now married to Bronwen and settled in a shepherd's cottage, joins a newly-formed task force that takes on a series of similar murders, while Bronwen investigates the disappearance of a teenaged Pakistani girl.

Like M. C. Beaton, Rhys Bowen is going to remain on my B-list, but I will
Judy
Jan 15, 2012 Judy rated it really liked it
The more I read of the "Evan Evans" series, the more I enjoy them for their simplicity and goodness, even though they are murder mysteries. There are the usual characters of concerned wife, overbearing boss, and peripheral co-workers. And there are the clever biblical quotes by the opposing chapels. This mystery is made current in that it has addressed terrorism, Moslems, radicals, and the movement of people (in this case, a Pakastani family) into areas where everyone has had a similar backgroun ...more
Niece
May 30, 2015 Niece rated it it was amazing
Absolutely loved the Constable Evans Series. Set in a quaint village in Wales the story offers a light romance/mystery. Love the characters!
This is the last in her Constable Evans series...wish she would write more-miss the characters!!
Catherine
Nov 29, 2009 Catherine rated it it was ok
This series of detective stories is set in modern Wales and features a detective constable named Evan Evans. There are three murders with no apparent connection other than they were commited with the same gun. The author works in modern issues such as terrorism and domestic abuse, but the story seemed formulaic and flat. The detective is an underling of an arrogant, older detective who puts down all of his ideas and spends his time trying to put Evans in his place. That particular conflict gets ...more
Nan St.Michael
Feb 28, 2016 Nan St.Michael rated it it was amazing
Love the Evan Evans series. This book had some interesting twists and turns that kept me turning the pages.
Myrlene  Zimmerman
Jan 27, 2016 Myrlene Zimmerman rated it really liked it
Setting in Wales. Would read more of his mysteries.
Sharon Buxton
Feb 27, 2016 Sharon Buxton rated it really liked it
A. mystery, Wales, series, Constable Evans, #10
Janet
May 09, 2009 Janet rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
When I first finished this book, all I could think about was how Bowen played right into the post-9/11 unease. Although the date today may have something to do with my opinion. I was disappointed that after all her careful treatment of the stereotypes Muslims endure, she still made one of them a bomb-happy terrorist (sorry for the spoiler there). But after I thought about it, I forgave her that little bit of insensitivity. Especially when I considered the ending, when the villagers show up on th ...more
Mikkee
Apr 20, 2015 Mikkee rated it liked it
Rhys Bowen is always a fun read.
Georgia Lengyel
Oct 07, 2014 Georgia Lengyel rated it really liked it
So sorry this is the last book of the series.
Nancy
Aug 18, 2014 Nancy rated it it was amazing
So sorry to have finished this series. I really like Evan and Bronwen and will miss reading about what they are up to.
Reita
Jan 15, 2016 Reita rated it it was ok
Boring.
Angela
Jun 22, 2015 Angela rated it liked it
Light read. Like the Welsh setting.
Jeannie and Louis Rigod
Mar 19, 2011 Jeannie and Louis Rigod rated it really liked it
The main sleuth and his bride, find themselves involved within a modern hate crime. It brings the problems of today's world into the fair village of Llanfair and it's district.

I understand in order for a series to grow there must be growth within the characters and plots, I do. However, I was in 'love' with this series for the gentleness of DC Evans character and his inter-action within the village. Yes, there is darkness inside even the good, but I'm sorry DC Evans has to find it.
D. Eric
Dec 07, 2009 D. Eric rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
The final Evans mystery to date, DC Evans is assigned to a new murder investigation unit and must deal with a pompous DI while trying to solve a series of violent murders. At the same time, a Muslim family has moved to Llanfair and Bronwen befriends their teenage girl. When traditional Muslim values clash with modern UK ones, the girl disappears and the search is on. The two mysteries keep the reader entertained until the final wrap up to a thus far terrific series.
writer...
I've enjoyed this 2nd mystery with Constable Evans, now part of special investigative police team. Complex situations have Evan Evans experiencing internal quandaries during the investigations as well as afterward. Very believable, his authenticity endears him to me as reader and observer.

Read for summer reading challenges
#20booksofsummer
#bookishsideoflife
#travetheworldinbooks [Wales]
Crystal
Jun 08, 2009 Crystal rated it really liked it
Really good plot. Two mysteries. Solving the one leads DC Evans to solve the other. Cultural implications concerning immigrants and the rejection or acceptance of same. I truly hope this is not her last Evan Evans book. I saw her speak in 2007, and it seemed that there might not be any more, because the earlier ones are out of print, and mystery lovers like to start at the beginning. Her other series are marvelous -- Molly Murphy and Lady Georgiana.
George
Jul 23, 2007 George rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: British Mystery Readers
A North Wales Detective Constable Evan Evans mystery. This is a multiplot one dealing with three murders, Muslim extremists, and a Pakistani family whose daughter runs away and their Muslim extremist son. As usual, Evans is the middle of the plotlines, but this time his wife, Bronwen is also invloved in the Pakistani family story line.
  • Biggie and the Devil Diet (Biggie Weatherford, #6)
  • Aphrodite
  • Death On The Diagonal (Crossword Mysteries, #12)
  • A Brush with Death (A Penny Brannigan Mystery #2)
  • Dead Hunt (Diane Fallon Forensic Investigation #5)
  • Signal Red
  • The Devil's Closet
  • Reservations for Murder (A Lighthouse Inn Mystery, #2)
  • The Bone Fire (Gil Montoya Mystery #2)
  • 2 in the Hat
  • Desolate Angel
  • Dolled Up For Murder (Gretchen Birch, #1)
  • Private Sector (Sean Drummond, #4)
  • Stone Quarry (Lydia Chin & Bill Smith, #6)
  • The Frightened Man (Denton, #1)
  • Getting Old Is Tres Dangereux (Gladdy Gold, #6)
  • Death of a Scriptwriter (Hamish Macbeth, #14)
  • While Galileo Preys (Esme Stuart #1)
202867
"I'm a New York Times bestselling mystery author, winner of both Agatha and Anthony awards for my Molly Murphy mysteries, set in 1902 New York City.

I also write the Agatha-winning Royal Spyness series, about the British royal family in the 1930s. It's lighter, sexier, funnier, wicked satire. It was voted by readers as best mystery series one year.
I am also known for my Constable Evans books, set
More about Rhys Bowen...

Constable Evans (10 books)
  • Evans Above (Constable Evans, #1)
  • Evan Help Us (Constable Evans, #2)
  • Evanly Choirs  (Constable Evans, #3)
  • Evan and Elle  (Constable Evans, #4)
  • Evan Can Wait (Constable Evans, #5)
  • Evans to Betsy (Constable Evans, #6)
  • Evan Only Knows (Constable Evans, #7)
  • Evan's Gate (Constable Evans, #8)
  • Evan Blessed (Constable Evans, #9)