Start by marking “Costa Rica (Lonely Planet Country Guides)” as Want to Read:
Costa Rica (Lonely Planet Country Guides)

Costa Rica (Lonely Planet Country Guide)

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  125 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Discover Costa Rica
Gaze at Volcan Arenal as it spews fiery lava into the twilight sky
Savor a cup o' joe straight from the source among the vast coffee fields of the Valle de Orosi
Stretch out in a beachside open-air yoga studio in Montezuma
Roll up your sleeves and help the sea turtles of Parismina
In This Guide
Three authors, 150 days, over 500 Imperial beers consumed
Inspi...more
Published October 1st 2008 by Lonely Planet (first published July 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Costa Rica, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Costa Rica

helpful, but really pretentious
molly
I don't usually review these types of things, but I thought this was worthwhile to mention. I actually wasn't that impressed with the quality of this guide compared to other LP books I've used for Europe. There wasn't a ton of guidance on how to get off the beaten guided tours trail and do some hiking and other adventuring on your own. I found Tripadvisor and most of all speaking to locals the most helpful while I was there, but without being able to speak Spanish I think I would have been frust...more
Ian Drew Forsyth
lonely planets are gearing more towards families and higher end tourists but still keep the cheaper options there, at least in a backpacker sense of cheap
It got me to some good places, Montezuma, Puerto Viejo, Domnical
but sometimes the best places you get to find is by asking other travelers, locals
and theres something strange about ending up doing the exact same thing as other backpackers you meet
not that its bad, to each their own experience
Gussy
I didn't really get to finish it because I had to return it to the library but it was a good overview of Costa Rica for the budget traveler. I wish that I had more time to follow up on some of the suggestions in the book but I have not yet purchased my ticket so some of the stuff will come later. I would recommend it if you are thinking about traveling to Costa Rica.
Kim Lanza
Lonely Planet is my go-to guide book and had been for 20 years. I felt like I was reading the abridged version. It was more like a highlights of Costa Rica book. Maps were particularly hard to read in the e-reader format. I found Frommer's to be more helpful for this trip.
Jessica
Not the best LP book. Compared to the one I used for Thailand in 2002, it really was lacking information. Costa Rica is a very popular destination for the LP travel set, so I guess I just expected more. I'll have to send some notes to them for the next edition!
Elis
Pretty good, some of the reviews are out of date but that's to be expected for a guidebook. We had about a 70% success rate which is good, culture/health/language sections are fantastic & it's a good source of ideas.
Olive
Jan 29, 2010 Olive rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all travelers
Recommended to Olive by: my mother
best guide book that i found on costa rica, it provides a lot of helpful budget options (but also includes mid-range and luxury options), helpful tips, all around good guide...
Cherie
Great, of course, but the only problem is everyone went to the same places….so you kept running into the same LP type travelers (which isn't a terrible thing, but…)
Karl Beck
Jun 13, 2008 Karl Beck rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone going to Costa Rica
One of the better choices, for indie travelling in Costa Rica. I was able to have a killer time and see a lot off the beaten path with this book.
Megan
Jul 22, 2008 Megan rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: budget-type travelers
Shelves: own
Like all Lonely Planet books, this one has great information and specifics to get you around the country. Thanks, LP!
Michael Economy
pretty standard travel book, not particularly "good" but not particularly lacking.
Bekah
I'm adding my travel books to this list in case people want to borrow them.
Tina
Feb 20, 2008 Tina is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
trying to schedule a trip, but i trust lonely planet =)
Walter
Nov 30, 2009 Walter added it
Same lonely planet quality I've come to expect and rely on.
tanya
Haven't gone yet.. but hope to real soon.
Violeta
Off I go! January 2013 i just cant wait for you!
Mark
Lived off this book; excellent guide!
Brooke
I can't wait to get there!!
E
solid as always!
Andrew
Andrew marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Egypt Tokyo Kenya (Lonely Planet Country Guides) Botswana and Namibia (Lonely Planet Multi Country Guides) Discover Costa Rica (Full Color Country Travel Guide)