Start by marking “Blue Like Play Dough: The Shape of Motherhood in the Grip of God” as Want to Read:
Blue Like Play Dough: The Shape of Motherhood in the Grip of God

Blue Like Play Dough: The Shape of Motherhood in the Grip of God

4.26  ·  Rating Details  ·  94 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
In the everyday stretch and squeeze of motherhood, Tricia Goyer often feels smooshed by the demands of life. In Blue Like Play Dough, she shares her unlikely journey from rebellious, pregnant teen to busy wife and mom with big dreams of her own. As her story unfolds, Tricia realizes that God has more in store for her than she has ever imagined possible.

Sure, life is messy
Published July 21st 2009 by Multnomah (first published July 8th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Blue Like Play Dough, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blue Like Play Dough

Kelly
Jul 27, 2009 Kelly rated it really liked it

I was pleasantly surprised by Tricia's open and honest take on her life. To be honest, I have not known many imperfect Christians. I know myself, and I have had MANY of my own struggles, but to read a book by a well-known Christian author who is so open with the ups and downs of her life was something that I didn't expect. I almost laughed with glee over the fact that I had found a book that I could relate to. YAY Tricia! What a joy it was to read a book from a woman who understands the way I ha
Cindy
Sep 02, 2009 Cindy rated it really liked it
Blue Like Play Dough
The Shape of Motherhood in the grip of God
Tricia Goyer
2009
Multnomah
Non-fiction/Christian Living/Parenting

Tricia Goyer has brought us her story, her story of being an unwed mother, who later married, and raising her three children, her story of her fears and insecurities, and her story of how God ministered to her, through her and molded her just like play dough.

A busy homeschooling mom of three children, a writer, a volunteer at church and with a crisis pregnancy center Trici
Jennifer Defoy
I'm not a parent, and I've never read Tricia Goyer before, so I wasn't sure I was going to like this one. But I ended up really liking it.

The book jumps a bit, she'll make her point and then jump to a story that relates to what she's trying to say. I think it takes a very skilled writer to jump around like that, and to not loose the reader, and Tricia does it perfectly. The "jumps" are used as background and they were almost all quite humorous.

I liked her writing style, she doesn't use much de
Virginia
Sep 22, 2009 Virginia rated it really liked it
Everything about this book is compelling: the title, the cover, and especially the memoir-style wisdom contained in its pages. Tricia Goyer is an awesome writer of both fiction and nonfiction, and her latest book is one of her best. By using her own life as an example, she guides us through the process of letting ourselves be molded by God. I didn’t feel like I was reading a book – I felt like I was spending some time with a friend, one who has been through some Stuff and come out on the other s ...more
Amydeanne
Sep 11, 2009 Amydeanne rated it really liked it
I never thought I could meet God here. In my home. In my mess. In the midst of my ordinary suburban life. To me, God was someone you met at church or connected with at weekly Bible study. I knew deep down it was possible to have mountaintop moments, but I believe they came during week long spiritual retreats, hour long morning Quiet Times, and a once-a -year women’s conference.

That is the opening of Tricia Goyers new book called Blue like Play Dough.

She talks about trying to read Bibles while “D
Cafelilybookreviews
Apr 27, 2010 Cafelilybookreviews rated it it was amazing

As I began to read Tricia Goyer’s latest book, I found myself captivated by her story. Not being familiar with her work, I wasn’t sure what to expect but found Blue Like Play Dough hard to put down. I became absorbed in her writing from the very first page and started seeing glimpses of myself as she shared her personal experiences.

Growing up without a father, Tricia struggled with insecurities and “hang-ups”, struggling to be good enough and attain the acceptance of others. In her search for lo
Kaylea
Jun 02, 2010 Kaylea rated it really liked it
I’ll be honest. I’m not a mom. I don’t even play one on TV.

But I am a children’s pastor for a mainline denomination. In this role, I have the opportunity to impact the lives of numerous children (and youth) and their parents.

With that said, I initially picked up “Blue like Play Dough” thinking I should read it, because it might make a good resource for the moms within my circle of influence.

Not only did I find a book that includes spiritual insights and wisdom for moms, I found a book that spoke
Heather
Nov 12, 2012 Heather rated it it was amazing
Blue Like Play Dough by Tricia Goyer is a book about those important discoveries that occur in motherhood which shape us and mold us into something better. With a transparent and honesttone, Tricia pours out of her heart the lessons she’s learned along the way. With each growth experience she is adjusted and changed by the work God is doing within her to shape her into a form that pleases Him. We could all benefit from her example of surrender and learn to become putty in God’s hand.

Tricia does
Clockstein Lockstein
Aug 01, 2009 Clockstein Lockstein rated it it was amazing
Blue Like Play Dough by Tricia Goyer is a humorous down-to-earth look at the changes to a woman's soul brought about my motherhood. Goyer is one of my favorite authors for good reason; every book feels like a good chat with a close friend. She makes you laugh, cry, and warms your heart. In her journey from single teen mom, to writer/mom-to-three/wife/exchange student host/mission trip traveler/etc Goyer has allowed God to mold and stretch her through lessons taught by her children. It's an encou ...more
Beth Anne
May 08, 2012 Beth Anne rated it it was ok
Well, it's not too often that I don't finish a book, but this one I put down about 2/3 of the way through. I wanted to finish it but was talking to Martin last night and told him that sometimes I worry that there isn't enough time to read all the books on my list. Time to put this one down and read one I will love.

The author has an amazing personal story of redemption and life change. She has also written several fiction novels (I've read one and liked it). But this book was a little too unfocus
Lauren
Apr 28, 2014 Lauren rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. Ioved how she wrote from her daily life. I am not a Mom but I take care of children and I found this to be a great read.
Beth
Mar 30, 2014 Beth rated it it was amazing
very real book on parenting, on how God is shaping us like play dough to be the people (and parents) he wants us to be
Renee
Jul 07, 2009 Renee rated it liked it
I initially requested to read and review this book about 5 months ago so I had forgotten what it was about when it arrived. I think the subtitle says a lot - the shape of motherhood in the grip of God. Tricia Goyer writes about events in her life (not necessarily in order) through which she learned about faith, experienced God, was shaped by Him and better came to understand that she was a loved child of God who did not need to strive for perfection in 'things'. I think this book can be enjoyed ...more
Victoria
May 01, 2012 Victoria rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A woman recounts stories from her life as a mother and how through each moment, God was molding her to become a woman HE wanted her to be, rather than the one SHE wanted to be. It was really inspirational and filled with wonderfully fun stories or ones that were humbling for her to write about, I'm sure. I loved that she was willing to share how she had messed up or how God used things for His good.
Lyndi
Oct 02, 2009 Lyndi rated it really liked it
I was surprised that this book was a non-fiction. For some reason the description from our library was off. I am not a mom, and she talks a lot about being a mom, but she also has some really helpful ideas on just how to be a better person and a better Christian.
Clarice
May 08, 2010 Clarice rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2010
The kind of book you want to give to all your friends that are mothers, but you selfishly keep it for yourself. Okay, maybe I'll give it to someone, but only AFTER I go through and write down my favorite quotes.
Bonnie Way
Dec 24, 2012 Bonnie Way rated it it was amazing
Excellent book! A must-read for every mom. :) Check out my full review at http://www.thekoalabearwriter.com/200....
Stephgarvey
Nov 13, 2009 Stephgarvey rated it really liked it
God uses our children to grow and shape more than just our hips. Tricia was so transparent, it was wonderful to remember that God has a plan. :)
Gina Mcclain
Jul 31, 2009 Gina Mcclain rated it really liked it
Tricia's book makes you want to drop your defenses and laugh at yourself at the same time.
Karen
Aug 11, 2009 Karen rated it it was amazing
This book made me cry! Great for Christian mothers that feel overwhelmed some days.
Lisa Campbell
Nov 14, 2013 Lisa Campbell rated it it was amazing
Very helpful book for any Mom wanting to give her children the best of herself.
Joanne Sher
Nov 15, 2010 Joanne Sher rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Loving this so far. Can so relate!
Staci
Staci marked it as to-read
May 23, 2016
Jana
Jana marked it as to-read
May 12, 2016
Samuel
Samuel marked it as to-read
May 07, 2016
Stacy
Stacy marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2016
Apex157x
Apex157x marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2016
Kim
Kim rated it really liked it
Apr 10, 2016
  • Scars and Stilettos: The Transformation of an Exotic Dancer
  • Permission to Speak Freely: Essays and Art on Fear, Confession, and Grace
  • A Perfect Mess: Why You Don't Have to Worry About Being Good Enough for God
  • Lazarus Awakening: Finding Your Place in the Heart of God
  • The Wisdom of Tenderness: What Happens When God's Fierce Mercy Transforms Our Lives
  • The Male Factor: The Unwritten Rules, Misperceptions, and Secret Beliefs of Men in the Workplace
  • No More Perfect Kids: Love the Kids You Have, Not the Ones You Want
  • Crawling: A Father's First Year
  • Parenting Is Your Highest Calling: And Eight Other Myths That Trap Us in Worry and Guilt
  • Why I Stayed: The Choices I Made In My Darkest Hour
  • Ex-Muslim: How One Daring Prayer to Jesus Changed a Life Forever
  • The ABC's of Hand Lettering
  • What Women Don't Know (and Men Don't Tell You): The Unspoken Rules of Finding Lasting Love
  • The Desert Fathers
  • Life, In Spite of Me: Extraordinary Hope After a Fatal Choice
  • Sexy Girls: How Hot is Too Hot?
  • An Untroubled Heart: Finding a Faith That Is Stronger Than All My Fears
  • Whatever You Are, Be a Good One
Tricia Goyer is a busy mom of six, grandmother of two, and wife to John. Somewhere around the hustle and bustle of family life, she manages to find the time to write fictional tales delighting and entertaining readers and non-fiction titles offering encouragement and hope. A bestselling author, Tricia has published thirty-three books to date and has written more than 500 articles. She is a two tim ...more
More about Tricia Goyer...

“Some people my accuse me of doing too much. Sometimes I agree with them. But then there is a part of me that wants to follow God --- wholeheartedly, completely and full throttle, wherever He may lead. I don't want to look back fifty years from now and think, What if I had trusted God? Where would I be?” 3 likes