Start by marking “King Tut's Private Eye” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
King Tut's Private Eye

Lee Levin

King Tut's Private Eye

A jaded archaeologist makes a stunning find on the final dig of his mediocre career. He unearths a box, carefully secured with the seal of Eye, grand vizier of Tutankhamen. Upon breaking the seal, the archaeologist realizes that he holds a sensation in his hands - the world's first murder mystery. Eye had served as the grand vizier to Akhenaton until the death of the mad, ...more
Published June 1st 1996 by St. Martin's Press

To ask other readers questions about King Tut's Private Eye, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about King Tut's Private Eye

Karen GoatKeeper
Oct 15, 2014 Karen GoatKeeper rated it liked it
Shelves: read2014
This was truly imaginative. King Tut's [Yes, that Pharaoh] grand vizier Eye is given the task of solving the murder of the Pharaoh's father's murder eight years before.
Was Akhenaten murdered? No one said so at the time. There were a number of people who wanted him dead including Vizier Eye.
Eye has no choice but to try to solve this murder, if it was a murder.
Levin does try to put humor in his book. I'm not good at his brand of humor so I missed most of it.
He was or is a history professor and th
David
Jan 01, 2009 David rated it it was amazing
The premise is that the author is translating a scroll that has just been found on a dig. The Main character is the Eye, co-regent of Egypt, grandfather of king Tut. He is assigned to find the murder of Tut’s father. That pharaoh was the Eye’s son-in-law. At this point the murder, if it was a murder was eight years old. It is also told he must solve the crime in 7 days and he can’t use torture!
The Eye is vain, sexist, shrewd and ruthless. But he is so open about all these faults he somehow becom
Marfita
Jun 21, 2011 Marfita rated it it was ok
Meh, what can I say? There were a few groaners in there, but the author does a nice job of describing a time period in a light, bantering style. Ha ha, very funny - the Vizier Ay/Aya/Eye (Private Eye, get it?) is commanded by young King Tutankhamun to discover the murderer of his father, the monotheist Akhenaten. He has less than seven days (and six suspects) to find the culprit or he dies. Or perhaps he just loses his precious "family jewels"? Oh, and he's not allowed to use torture.
Instead, E
Sarah Sammis
May 24, 2011 Sarah Sammis rated it it was amazing
I went through a phase where I read every fiction and nonfiction about Tutankhamen I could find. Recent technology though has figured out how he probably died and it's nothing as dramatic as in this book. Doesn't matter. The book was still a ripping good yarn.
Kacie
Jul 01, 2011 Kacie rated it liked it
Technically I shouldn't have this book. I borrowed it from the library back when I was about 15... I still have it (sheepish grin)
Tess
Jun 15, 2014 Tess rated it really liked it
I loved this quirky book. Made me howl in places.
Jerrie
Nov 03, 2012 Jerrie added it
sort of good, but also a little hard to get thru
Mike
Feb 27, 2008 Mike marked it as to-read
Shelves: mystery
found at the library, looked interesting.
Gisselle Terrero
Gisselle Terrero rated it it was amazing
Jul 16, 2016
Ross Vincent
Ross Vincent marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2016
Sunie Levin
Sunie Levin rated it it was amazing
Nov 16, 2015
Tiffany Flores
Tiffany Flores marked it as to-read
Oct 13, 2015
Claudia H
Claudia H marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2015
Lady Nefertankh
Lady Nefertankh marked it as to-read
Nov 27, 2014
Emily
Emily rated it really liked it
Sep 30, 2014
David Butler
David Butler rated it really liked it
Jul 21, 2014
Manasi
Manasi marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2012
Brittanni F
Brittanni F is currently reading it
Jun 29, 2011
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2011
Nicole
Nicole marked it as to-read
May 24, 2011
Pat
Pat added it
May 15, 2011
Colleen
Colleen rated it really liked it
Apr 17, 2011
Bbsteph
Bbsteph marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2011
Mark
Mark added it
Aug 20, 2010
Chrissy
Chrissy rated it it was ok
Jun 06, 2008