Start by marking “The Simple Guide to Freshwater Aquariums” as Want to Read:
The Simple Guide to Freshwater Aquariums

The Simple Guide to Freshwater Aquariums

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  90 ratings  ·  12 reviews
The key to becoming a dedicated aquarium hobbyist is to succeed with your first aquarium. The Simple Guide to Freshwater Aquariums concentrates on providing you with a complete plan and all the information you need to choose and use the right-for-you aquarium equipment and the right-for-you fish and plants: it wants you to succeed. The information is presented in a complet ...more
Paperback, 2nd Edition, 254 pages
Published September 1st 2001 by TFH Publications Inc. (first published May 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Simple Guide to Freshwater Aquariums, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Simple Guide to Freshwater Aquariums

Amy
This is an okay book for the beginner, and it has a great deal of useful information. More experienced aquarium enthusiasts will find it lacking.
Anne
I really liked his emphasis on keeping things simple and his suggestions about which combinations of fish go together well.
Brian
As part of our master plan for rearranging our daughter's room, we went shopping the other day for aquarium stuff. The Petco worker was actually surprisingly helpful and didn't try to sell us junk we didn't need (we did some research before going in so that we wouldn't get pressured). On our way out, he suggested this book as a good beginner's guide to starting up an aquarium. We almost put it back, but decided that it could be worth it, if only for the pictures of fish that Ellie could look at ...more
Sue
I haven't seen this second edition, but the first edition was excellent! It's the best book if you're a beginner in the hobby--and not a bad one even if you've had some experience. It gives clear explanations for how to purchase, set up, cycle, stock, and maintain an aquarium. All the advice has been spot-on.

One of the things in particular that made this book stand out to me was in the stocking advice, something other books seemed to lack. It gives examples of recommending varieties of fish, and
Laurie
This book has a bunch of really interesting plans for stocking either a 29 or 55 gallon tank, which are the 2 sizes the author recommends for a beginner.

I am nearly done stocking a 29 gallon with stocking scheme #1: platies (I have sunset wagtails), danios (mine are zebra), lemon tetras, and soon some cory cats. The book briefly mentions fishless cycling. I found an article on aquariumadvice.com that was a big help:

Otherwise I pretty much followed the advi
Kathleen
You're just starting out with fish and aquaculture? Forget an 8 or 10 gallon tank and start with 50 gallons... which weighs a quarter of a ton when filled. Call a structural engineer to reinforce the joists in your floor. This is an introductory book?! I'm having a laugh as I make notes of the truly helpful tips.
*****************************************************
Update upon completion: Boruchowitz loves fish keeping and his enthusiasm shines through his writing. Although many (most?) amateur h
Landon Chapman
Invaluable Resource for Beginners

I have no doubt veteran aquarists will benefit from this book, but without a doubt, this is a must read for the beginner. The information is highly needed and the suggested stocking at the end is extremely helpful.
Aaron
Boruchowitz does an excellent job of guiding the novice through critical steps in setting up a successful aquarium, and does it in a clear, easy-to-read way. While it's clear his enthusiasm runs deep, and he knows more than he writes, I appreciated his commitment toward clarity and simplicity where possible, giving enough info for a person to get a start at keeping fish without going overboard and getting bogged in too much detail.
Stephanie
So much information. I'm hoping it will help me set up a pretty little aquarium.

My first attempt at cycling my aquarium failed. My fish got sick and died, but I'm blaming where I got my fish. They didn't live two weeks. My second attempt is going much better. It's been a month and not only are my 4 platies still alive, but I have babies and spontaneous snails.
Roni
Sep 14, 2011 Roni rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fish lovers
I'm setting up an aquarium for the first time and this book has more than enough information on how to be a successful aquarist!
Travis
This was kind of a cool book. It was laid out like a scrapbook, which was kind of fun.
Andrea
Andrea's review: yeeuup, Jake got a fish tank.
Ernie Bayo
Ernie Bayo marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2015
Jackie Garcia
Jackie Garcia marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2015
Alicia
Alicia marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2015
Angela Oliver-piquette
Angela Oliver-piquette is currently reading it
Mar 21, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Aquarium Care of Bettas (Animal Planet Pet Care Library) Aquarium Care of Goldfish (Animal Planet Pet Care Library) Sugar Gliders (Animal Planet Pet Care Library) Freshwater Aquarium Problem Solver (Animal Planet Pet Care Library) Freshwater Aquariums