Start by marking “Look for Me by Moonlight” as Want to Read:
Look for Me by Moonlight

Look for Me by Moonlight

3.75  ·  Rating Details ·  2,914 Ratings  ·  288 Reviews
When sixteen-year-old Cynda goes to stay with her father and his second wife, Susan, at their remote bed-and-breakfast inn in Maine, everything starts off well despite legends about ghosts and a murder at the inn. But Cynda feels like a visitor in Dad's new life, an outsider. Then intense, handsome stranger Vincent Morthanos arrives at the inn and seems to return Cynda's i ...more
Published September 8th 2008 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published April 24th 1995)

Katya
Oct 07, 2009 Katya rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
To all the whiners complaining that this book wasn't anything like Twilight - get over it! It was written ten years before Twilight, and long before vampires became teenage heartthrobs. Throughout history, vampires have been evil and dangerous - even Angel, who began to turn the tide for vampires from scary monster to romantic hero, could be dangerous. Romances between teenage girls and ancient vampires don't end well. Period.

I first read this book in middle school, shortly after it was first pu
Heather *live on coffee & flowers*
"You know what I want, too. You're willing to give it to me, aren't you? Night after night, you'll invite me to take it."

I first read this in middle school, after I'd read The Vampire Diaries and was obsessively searching for any movie or book that had anything to do with hot vampires. I'm pleased to have enjoyed it just as much now as I did all those years ago.

The characters aren't exactly likeable, but I didn't really need to like Cynda and Todd to understand and sympathize with them. It's t
Brie
I gave this book the rating my goofy middle school self would've given it had that weird child had access to the internet as it is today.

This is a very dated book and everything is very predictable and the characters are flat and one-dimensional. But I remember having fond memories of loving this book, and don't want to penalize it for the fact that my standards have risen and Vincent is no longer a tall dark and dangerous dreamboat of horror.

Cynda was always whiny and annoying though. I wish I
Aviva
Apr 11, 2011 Aviva rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I remember being obsessed with this book in middle school. Ob. Sessed. I also remember it having enough romance and passion and awesome twist-at-the-end-edness for me to reread it a bunch of times. So when I found a cheap copy in a used book store, I bought and read it in a day.

See, I wanted to enjoy this. I mean, it brought back such fond memories, right? And I remember Mary Downing Hahn as being a great author, so I wanted to enjoy the hell out of this book. Unfortunately it was just...utterly
Kat
May 08, 2009 Kat rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love Mary Downing Hahn. She is an incredible author. Look for Me by Moonlight is inspired by a poem called The Highwayman. In the poem an inn-keepers daughter is in love with a highwayman. An employee at the inn is jealous so he alerts the authorities that the highwayman is frequently at the inn. They come and tie up the daughter, but she manages to shoot herself and warn the highwayman that the soldiers are there. He comes back the next day and is killed himself. This poem is frequently broug ...more
Dora
Jul 17, 2010 Dora rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cynda is sixteen, and for her, the world is unfair. Like so many other teenage heroines of supernatural tales, she's frustrated by the boredom and isolation that comes when she moves in with her estranged father and his wife who run a remote inn, even an inn that's supposedly haunted. As such, her curiosity is piqued when a mysterious young man named Victor shows up at the inn one night and decides to stay awhile. Her five-year-old half-brother Todd hates him immediately, but Victor quickly wins ...more
Susan
Sep 08, 2009 Susan rated it it was ok
Recommended to Susan by: Becky of "Becky's Book Reviews"
Look For Me By Moonlight was not exactly what I expected. I thought I was getting into a YA paranormal romance type of novel, but there was really no romance to speak of. By the time Vincent began planting kisses on Cynda's naïve teenage lips and neck, it is perfectly obvious to the reader that he is bad news.

Vincent himself is an incredibly well-written "bad guy," complete with an atmosphere of danger and cruelty. Our heroine however, was weak, weak, WEAK! I kept waiting for Cynda to see Vince
skein
Jul 28, 2009 skein rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ghost-stories
I usually dislike the 'aha!' ending, where everything is thrown on its ear and the author crows about about how clever they are and how the stupid little reader was just so easily taken in (hello, Sarah Waters!)
This isn't quite like that. This 'aha!' took a silly, mediocre story and turned it into ... something else entirely. (I hesitate to say "thrilling psychological horror" but that's kind of what it is.)

My biggest - my only - problem was the narrator. Supposedly sixteen years old, she talks
Duchessbookworm
Still think about it over 4 years later. Creepy but captivating
Leigh Collazo
Dec 19, 2011 Leigh Collazo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2011

More reviews at http://readerpants.blogspot.com.

READALIKES: "The Highwayman" (poem by Alfred Noyes); The Old Willis Place and many others by Mary Downing Hahn; anything by Lois Duncan (my personal favorite is Ransom)

RATING BREAKDOWN:

Overall: 4/5
Creativity: 4/5
Characters: 4/5
Engrossing: 4/5
Writing: 4/5
Appeal to teens: 5/5
Appropriate length to tell the story: 5/5

CONTENT:
Language: none

Sexuality: mild; large age gaps in the relationships; some kissing and staring at breasts through shirt

Vio
Joanne♥~Bookworm Extraordinaire
This book was ok. It wasn't the greatest vampire story out there.

The story is about Cynda, who goes to Maine to stay with her father, stepmother and stepbrother in their inn while her mother and her mother's boyfriend go to Italy. During this time a stranger, Vincent, comes to the inn to stay for awhile. It turns out that Vincent is a vampire and has come to feed on Cynda.

This was a slow moving book. At times it was very boring. Cynda was a whiny little thing that annoyed me. She was always whi
Taylor Capaniro
Apr 01, 2014 Taylor Capaniro rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The genre was a mystery,and romance,and fiction.The audience is the reader themselves, I like the fact that Cynda became stronger at the end of the book she just needed to prove to everyone what Vincent was and what he does to the family and a good friend and Cynda as well with all the suffering he put her through.

In my opinion I thought the book was amazing I do wish it had something surprising at the end just thought it would end a little bit different then it did and I recommend people read i
Nia Zanders
Oct 02, 2013 Nia Zanders rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a good bookI like it because Ilove fantasy fiction with a little bit of romance and vampires.It was about a girl name Cynthia aka Cynda. She is staying with her dad and step mother,Susan, and her step brother Todd. During her vist Cynda stays in Underhill Inn which her father owns.While at the Inn Cynda hears word of guost in the Inn. Not just any guost, guost of girls killed near by or in the Inn.Then a man named Vincent comes to stay in the Inn.Cynda is instintly attracted the Vincent ...more
Chio Duran
Sep 13, 2012 Chio Duran rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book. Even though the plot was a little bit predictable and the characters were not developed in depth, the story was refreshing and entertaining.

Cynda is your average teenage girl who has problems with her parents and has to deal with family issues and loneliness. She is desperate for someone to listen to what she has to say. Then comes Vincent. I have to say that Vincent was the character that I liked the most. After all those romance books that have come out in the last few year
Naomi
May 04, 2009 Naomi rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Kate Yancey
Feb 07, 2009 Kate Yancey added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Vampire fans everywhere
Recommended to Kate by: myself
I read this book and could not put it down. I always knew us girls would be sucked into the dark, hansome, and mysterious figures that come upon us. I'm one of those people who have dreams based on what they see, hear, smell, taste, feel, and remember. I had a dream that took me to every scene in this book. It was a true adventure. If only this book could be real ;).
Alice Yates
May 27, 2012 Alice Yates rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites
This book was very, very good, but REALLY creepy. It's a very very old take on vampires--nothing like the new Twilight obsession--it is about how vampires are supposed to be. In this, the vampire isn't a sparkly teenage boy--this vampire is a REAL vampire. He's very persuasive and extremely evil.

A great, quick read!
Sakura Koneko
Aug 12, 2007 Sakura Koneko rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who likes vampires
I read this book after finding it in a school library.

Originally I found it very interesting and exciting, until I got near the end and it just started feeling like the telling of a young girl caught up with an older man who is abusive in a sense... it seemed to me more like the fact he was a vampire was added in to take notice away from a more nonfiction storyline that the book could tell.
Tiffni
Aug 25, 2012 Tiffni rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I remember reading this over and over again in 5th grade. I was obsessed about it. I just recently picked it back up again about a year ago and fell in love with it all over again. It's an awesome read!
Rachel
Apr 24, 2008 Rachel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A highly sensual story; after all, it is about teen crushes and vampires. The protagonist's broken home makes her perfect prey for a seemingly benevolent stranger. Ultimately, she must use her wits to save herself and her younger brother.
Jul 16, 2012 Laura rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the first vampire book I ever read. I was probably only ten or eleven when I read it. This book was the first of many vampire-related novels and films to come. It's a beautiful, simple, and sometimes spine-tingling read.
Divisha Daswani
Oct 26, 2015 Divisha Daswani rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The mysterious and suspenseful book Look For Me By Moonlight, was written by the very talented Mary Downing Hahn. The author of the book is very well known for writing suspenseful stories. This book in specific is a mixture of fantasy, mystery, and suspense. The story and point of view is based on a sixteen year old girl named Cynda. Her parents are divorced, and has not seen her dad for many years now. Her mother, and stepfather are going to Italy for six months, and both decided that it would ...more
Reanne
Jul 11, 2016 Reanne rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Crossposted from Reanne Reads.

This is a vampire book that was published about ten years before Twilight, so it’s mostly interesting as a glimpse of what vampire fiction used to be. I was actually about the right target age when this came out, but I’d never heard of it until recently, when I happened to pick it up at a library sale.

It’s a short book, less than 200 pages, which makes it a pretty quick read. The characters are few and not very well developed, but they serve for the story they’re th
Xitlalie Tafolla
Bonnie
Nov 21, 2015 Bonnie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Susan
Sep 03, 2016 Susan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book engaged my attention during a school day, so it's intriguing. There is plenty of teenage angst. Cynda is a sixteen year old, who moves from DC, where she lived with her mother, to outer Siberia - uh, Northern Maine, where her father has remarried and now lives with his second wife and a little brother for Cynda. Cynda's dad and step-mom own a bed & breakfast, and her dad is a novel writer.

The teenage angst is actually at a pretty low level until an unexpected guest arrives. It's th
Angelika Valencia Montoya
I loved the book. It was very unique and different. I loved how the author started out the story as a normal teenager in love with a normal guest. She made the guest as if he was in love with her to. Put it as if the ghost of the dead girl was just haunting Cynda. Then came out with the part where the Man was just using her and pretended to love her. I loved how the author started out with him as if he was just an abuser but then out of nowhere he bit her. Plus how he said he wanted just her but ...more
Claudia
I love Mary Hahn for many reasons, not the least of which, is she is the author who has made my Grand a pleasure reader. Her books are the ones Ashley will carry with her and sneak out of her backpack.

THis one is darker than some of the others, with a really bad-guy antagonist...Vincent seems so romantic, so perfect. Cynda is the product of a divorce and is being shipped to her father's home...an old country inn along the Maine coast. Her stepbrother Todd is a demanding kid, her father ignores h
Demi Purdy
Hey, look! A story about vampires that isn't Twilight! This book centers around Cynda, who has gone to Maine to stay temporarily with her father, stepmother, and younger stepbrother, Tom, called Tommy, at their inn. While there, Cynda learns about a murder that occurred at the inn. Then, they get a strange visitor named Vincent Morthanos, Cynda takes an interest in and he seems to return the feelings. However, little does Cynda know at first that Vincent is actually a vampire. So now Cynda has t ...more
Tiffany Blews
Apr 07, 2012 Tiffany Blews rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was one of the first books to actually scare me. I remember reading it before bed and then just laying there in the dark after, jumping at every noise.
  • Companions of the Night
  • Out of the Dark
  • The Blooding
  • High School Bites: The Lucy Chronicles
  • Dare to Be Scared: Thirteen Stories to Chill and Thrill
  • The Darkangel (Darkangel Trilogy, #1)
  • Armageddon Summer
  • The Night My Sister Went Missing
  • Verland: The Transformation
  • Transcendent: Tales of the Paranormal
  • Demon in My View (Den of Shadows, #2)
  • The Ghost Next Door
  • Goodnight Kiss (Fear Street Superchiller, # 3)
I grew up in a small shingled house down at the end of Guilford Road in College Park, Maryland. Our block was loaded with kids my age. We spent hours outdoors playing "Kick the Can" and "Mother, May I" as well as cowboy and outlaw games that usually ended in quarrels about who shot whom. In the summer, we went on day long expeditions into forbidden territory -- the woods on the other side of the t ...more
More about Mary Downing Hahn...