Start by marking “The Five Temptations of a CEO: A Leadership Fable” as Want to Read:
The Five Temptations of a CEO: A Leadership Fable

The Five Temptations of a CEO: A Leadership Fable

4.09  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,192 Ratings  ·  89 Reviews
Lencioni delivers a provocative message. CEOs mainly have themselves to blame when things go wrong. If you're a CEO (or a manager for that matter), do you have the courage to face it? Doing so could change your future -- for the better.
Published September 28th 1998 by Jossey-Bass (first published 1965)

Fmcg by Greg ThainStore Wars by Greg ThainWho Moved My Cheese? by Spencer JohnsonPublish on Amazon Kindle with Kindle Direct Publishing by Kindle Direct PublishingThe Truth about Ikea by Johan Stenebo
FMCG Books
30th out of 56 books — 4 voters
Leadership and Self-Deception by The Arbinger InstituteLeadership Wisdom from the Monk Who Sold His Ferrari by Robin S. SharmaServant Leadership by Robert K. GreenleafLeadership on the Line by Ronald A. HeifetzThe Five Dysfunctions of a Team by Patrick Lencioni
Leadership is a Character
10th out of 45 books — 7 voters

More lists with this book...

Farnoosh Brock
Apr 13, 2013 Farnoosh Brock rated it it was amazing
Shelves: business-spirit
What is it like to be a CEO of a company? I have wondered about this question for as long as I have dreamt to be in the position of a Chief Executive someday, somehow, somewhere. But since reading this book years ago, I gave all that up to go start my own company ....

Now, about this book: Having thoroughly enjoyed Lencioni's fable in “Five Dysfunctions of a Team”, I delved into this fable with the same anticipation.

Lencioni writes well – short and sweet – I finished this one on the treadmill! T
Федор Кривов
Feb 28, 2016 Федор Кривов rated it really liked it
5 искушений руководителя, способных привести компанию к краху. Книга в стиле Ленсиони, бизнес-фикшн. Мое любимое искушение - 2: нравиться подчиненным вместо требования ответственности. ...more
K.D. Absolutely
Don't be misled by the title. Even if you are just a manager, supervisor, team lead or even a parent, that makes you a leader and you can learn a thing or two about your role in your team.

The book is told via a fable. It tells the story of Andrew a first-time CEO who on the eve of this first presentation to the board found himself sharing a coach with Charlie in a midnight train on his way back home from his office. During their conversation they were joined by 3 more people who attested to the
Mark
Aug 14, 2011 Mark rated it really liked it
Love everything Lencioni writes. Here is a quick summary in case you don't want to read a whole book lol
Temptation #1 – Status over Results
Unsuccessful CEO's focus on preserving their status within the organization, instead of on delivering performance and results. Watching a leader protect his turf at the expense of company performance is not uncommon, and is often evident following a promotion.
Temptation #2 – Popularity over Accountability
Unsuccessful CEO's do not hold "direct reports" accoun
John Kowalczyk
A quick read with some down-to-earth common sense suggestions, but I thought it would have been better delivered as "an essay" rather than "a book". Although I could be wrong (I don't know too many CEOs), I'll make the assumption that most people reading this book will already have a level of personal/reading experience that begs for something more substantial. Within a couple minutes of opening the book and reading the list of the five temptations in the "Tribute" section, I felt I've heard/rea ...more
Christine Galvin-Combet
Short, simple, to the point. Good reminders for anyone to keep in mind; not necessarily limited to a particular context.
Raluca Bacinschi
Feb 04, 2016 Raluca Bacinschi rated it really liked it
O carte foarte bine structurata, la obiect, care reuseste sa reduca esenta unui CEO la cinci reguli de aur, care se succed logic si, corelate armonios, pun bazele liderului de succes:
1. Alegeti increderea in angajati in locul invulnerabilitatii in fata lor
2. Alegeti conflictul constructiv(discutiile in contradictoriu) in locul armoniei generale
3. Alegeti claritatea in momentul in care luati o decizie in locul certitudinii(nu asteptati prea multe informatii pentru a lua o decizie - apare stagnare
Wellington Marion
Muito bom o Livro, adorei, aprendi varias coisas, Recomendo a leitura.
Quinton
Aug 29, 2013 Quinton rated it really liked it
Pat Lencioni's books are always somewhat simplified, but always seem to be a good read. I found a few temptations that I fall into listed below, and so this was a great reminder. It's worth the read (it won't take long!).

Temptation #1: Status over Results
James
Jul 15, 2011 James rated it it was ok
I saw Patrick Lencioni speak once and he was interesting and engaging. The fact that I give him a low rating here is not because I don't think he has something significant to say or that his presentation isn't good. Great on both counts. However this book is not addressed to someone in my context (looking toward Pastoral ministry) and to my mind demonstrates some of the problems of the Pastor as CEO model loved by some churches (At least one reviewer on Goodreads recommends this book for all chu ...more
Andrew K.
Jul 05, 2011 Andrew K. rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fable, leadership
I know, I know. The Five Temptations of a CEO *sounds* like Dali took “The Temptation of St. Anthony” and gave Tony a suit, a Rolex, and the corner office.

But it is way better than that. The author, Patrick Lencioni, loves to write business fables in which the protagonists are committing some cardinal sin of organizational dysfunction. Along comes some wise man (or men or a woman) who, through Socratic dialogue, helps the wayward protagonists see the error of their ways. I am not ashamed of thi
Ryan Daley
May 16, 2014 Ryan Daley rated it liked it
This is a good read for CEOs - short and easy to fit in for the busy. Good principle and accurate - it would be nice to have a little more meat - but probably enough for the extremely disciplined to get started with. Principles are great - I don't care for the fable or story - but that is more of a personal taste than anything.
Anil Kumar Gade
Nov 06, 2015 Anil Kumar Gade rated it liked it
Shelves: books-in-hand
Good Book. teaches you hidden aspects of management principles which the management schools generally omit.

Repetitive stuff. if you are person interested in Bullet points than paragraphs, you can directly skip to part 3 of the book. otherwise it is a good read to finish the book in one sitting.
Katie
Aug 26, 2014 Katie rated it really liked it
I'm not a CEO, nor do I aspire to be, but I thought this book had some great concepts for leaders in general to consider. Written in parable fashion this book is easy to read, and Lencioni's summaries at the end of his books always help to provide some practical steps to implement.
John Bechtold
I enjoy all of Patrick Lencioni's books. This provided a good lesson in a story once again. Although the story he used in this early book is probably the most implausible story of his books - it still was a good, enjoyable and educational read.
Glenn Burnside
Mar 17, 2016 Glenn Burnside rated it liked it
This is Lencioni's first book, and thematically nearly identical to his "5 dysfunctions" book - which I believe took these core concepts and crystallized them in the most "right" possible format. THIS book is basically a rough draft for THAT book.
Chris Grimm
Dec 24, 2014 Chris Grimm rated it it was amazing
Patrick Lencioni is brilliant. His message is clear and powerful. His books are a must read for anyone in leadership. But you must be willing to admit you could be doing things wrong. If you have a desire to be better, his books will teach you how.
Travis Ogden
Nov 17, 2015 Travis Ogden rated it it was amazing
In typical form, Patrick Lencioni uses a fable to teach the reader. I found it both fun and worthwhile. I would recommend this book for anyone looking to improve in a leadership position, NOT just C-level executives.
Kim
Aug 11, 2016 Kim rated it liked it
Pretty easy read as far as length of book and writing style. However, somewhat difficult to digest due to focus of content, especially if you are currently in a leadership position.
Seth
Jul 03, 2016 Seth rated it really liked it
Like much of Lencioni's work, this is an enjoyable fable that presents solid principles. Definitely useful for any leader, not just a CEO.
Eryc
Aug 08, 2014 Eryc rated it liked it
This is the most superficial and unsatisfying of Lencioni's books. However, it's still very insightful and recommended for any leader.
Rick Yvanovich
5 temptations that surely every CEO must stumble on. They all sound so simple but they are all challenging in their own way.
Will Simpson
Jan 22, 2016 Will Simpson rated it really liked it
Shelves: leadership
Short and direct - like most of his books, this one is solid - you do not have to be a CEO to get something from this one...
Andrew Canavan
Aug 13, 2016 Andrew Canavan rated it liked it
Pretty helpful: a quick, engaging, and practical look at the true role of (and pitfalls face by) an executive.
Dustan Woodhouse
Jul 01, 2016 Dustan Woodhouse rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reference
Earmarked for an annual re-read.

An hour of your life (at 1.5X on audible) well spent.

Worth reading even if your company is a one person show.
Thai
May 15, 2016 Thai rated it really liked it
It's a nice and very easy to read book! I like the way the author turned theories into a story like a real one in life.
It's short and easy digest, I strongly recommended it for leaders to read.
Denise
Dec 10, 2014 Denise rated it really liked it
Good reminder for leaders. We ALL submit to one or more of these temptations from time to time.
Jitariu Catalin
Dec 12, 2015 Jitariu Catalin rated it it was amazing
A great short book to remind every leader it's role in the organization.
Quang Nhật
Nov 02, 2013 Quang Nhật rated it it was ok
Shelves: business-related
Một cuốn sách gọn giải trí cho cuối tuần.

Có vài phần diễn tiến tình huống, đấu tranh tâm lý đọc vào thấy ngồ ngộ, nhưng thôi không đánh giá nặng vì không phải phần tập trung của tác giả. Lencioni chỉ muốn diễn giải năm điều của ông một cách rõ ràng hơn, để người đọc có thể hiểu phần nào rõ hơn ý tưởng ông đưa ra.

Tên sách tuy hoành tráng, nhưng nội dung thì khá đơn giản, có phần gần gũi ngay cả với người có cuộc sống bình thường (như mình). Vì có lẽ, xét trên một khía cạnh nào đó, một người bình
Trulee
Feb 12, 2015 Trulee rated it liked it
Shelves: self-help
Cute, it had some good points and was a quick read.
  • Axiom: Powerful Leadership Proverbs
  • The One Thing You Need to Know: ... About Great Managing, Great Leading, and Sustained Individual Success
  • You Don't Need a Title to Be a Leader: How Anyone, Anywhere, Can Make a Positive Difference
  • The 17 Indisputable Laws of Teamwork: Embrace Them and Empower Your Team
  • The Dream Manager
  • Managing for Results
  • Good to Great and the Social Sectors: A Monograph to Accompany Good to Great
  • The Oz Principle: Getting Results through Individual and Organizational Accountability
  • Lincoln on Leadership: Executive Strategies for Tough Times
  • The Contrarian's Guide to Leadership
  • Likeable Business: Why Today's Consumers Demand More and How Leaders Can Deliver
  • Next Generation Leader: 5 Essentials for Those Who Will Shape the Future
  • The One-Life Solution: Reclaim Your Personal Life While Achieving Greater Professional Success
  • Strengths Based Leadership: Great Leaders, Teams, and Why People Follow
  • A Sense of Urgency
  • The Myth of Multitasking: How "Doing It All" Gets Nothing Done
  • High Five!: The Magic of Working Together
  • Traction
Patrick Lencioni is a New York Times best-selling author, speaker, consultant and founder and president of The Table Group, a firm dedicated to helping organizations become healthy. Lencioni’s ideas around leadership, teamwork and employee engagement have impacted organizations around the globe. His books have sold nearly three million copies worldwide.

When Lencioni is not writing, he consults to
More about Patrick Lencioni...