Start by marking “The Witness of the Stars” as Want to Read:
The Witness of the Stars

The Witness of the Stars

In a work of profound interest to students of Christianity and astrology alike, E.W. Bullinger uses astronomy, celestial charts, and quotations from the Bible to make his case for the existence of God's Word within the movements and configurations of the stars themselves. Beginning with proof in Psalm 19 that "the Creator both numbered as well as named the stars of heaven, ...more
Published March 15th 2007 by Cosimo Classics (first published November 30th 1892)

To ask other readers questions about The Witness of the Stars, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Witness of the Stars

Helen
This book was originally published in 1893. I am fortunate to have the Kregel publications edition with colour plates and a pull out constellation map in the back and it's a family book that I treasure.

Reading it gives you chills; Bullinger has written a sort of dissertation outlining a complex, well researched idea that all the constellations have at their core, meanings and interpretations, a primeval prophecy of Jesus, his redeeming power and ultimate victory over death. It's incredibly grip
Dave Jones
Jan 06, 2012 Dave Jones rated it liked it
Shelves: spiritual, bible
This was a .99 Kindle purchase. In this case, I got less than I paid for. Not that the content itself wasn't worthy -- it was. However, there were two unforgivable shortcomings: 1) The book was not indexed 2) Much more serious: there were no star chart illustrations that apparently were part of the original edition. The absence of the star charts really dissipated the value of this book. Come on publishers: charge a little more and make this a worthy read. There were also some typos that confirm ...more
Yolanda
Feb 04, 2012 Yolanda rated it it was amazing
This book is amazing !if you are a student of the Word you will glean riches from this read.....
If you don't care for astronomy...you will after you read this. I found an old hardback edition that was sent to me from London. It is one of the most treasured in my collection.
Rochelle Brown
Oct 06, 2013 Rochelle Brown rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bible-study
Wonderful book! It explains why we have only certain constellations handed down through history and how they allowed the sharing of the Gospel before Pagans perverted their meanings. Look up! God has written the Good News in the stars as well!
Todd Coburn
Nov 16, 2016 Todd Coburn rated it it was amazing
In this book, published in 1895, Bullinger demonstrates that the constellations, and specifically the signs of the Zodiac, are actually a perversion the the 12 signs called the Mazzaroth by God in the book of Job.

He suggests that the signs were basically intended as a set of three heavenly books, each with four chapters, to present the 12 pointed message of God's redemption plan for mankind.

He then walks the reader thru each sign, orchestrating historic & Biblical evidence to present the mea
Carrie Lindsey
Mar 22, 2010 Carrie Lindsey rated it it was ok
This is an old book written over 100 years ago. Based on the information that the author had at the time he did a fairly remarkable job gathering and using the sources that were at his disposal. It was an intriguing concept that he was trying to prove....that the constellations of the zodiac held forth the message of the Redeemer as told in the Bible. He takes the names, meanings, and chronology of the zodiac and random Bible verses to try and prove his point. Because I believe that God is the c ...more
Jacky
Jul 03, 2007 Jacky rated it liked it
Shelves: christian
Interesting astronomical look at how the Zodiac and the total of 48 constellation points to JESUS CHRIST than some weak Greek mythology. To paraphrase Aristotle, these Zodiacs, the imagery only slightly different over the worldwide cultures, were weak representations of a once objective truth proclaimed by the stars.

Bullinger, being an ultra-dispensationalist, allowed his theology to somewhat hinder an objective view of the Witness of the Stars. His reasoning fluctuates - and indeed it is much
C A Fox
Dec 12, 2015 C A Fox rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Perversion of the zodiac

This is an old and interesting book covering the signs of the zodiac, something which I have in the past steered away from because of its pagan roots. Or are they? The author has done considerable research which leads us to believe that the true meaning written in the stars has been lost and corrupted into the astrology charts we have today. Beginning with Virgo (the virgin) and ending with Leo (the lion of Judah) we can see the whole story laid out before us of Christ's
Cary Sawatsky
This very old book (written in the 1800s is as valid today as the day it was written. Much information about the original meanings of the constellations including the detailed names and meanings of many stars in each constellation. This subject should be studied by Christians everywhere.
Hans Bronkhorst Bronkhorst
Fantastic book by E.W. Bullinger, one of the foremost Bible scholars of all times explaining how the stars declare the Glory of God - Christ Jesus. A must-read for anyone interested in Biblical Studies.
Linda
Nov 04, 2015 Linda rated it liked it
The idea put forth in this book is very intriguing, and has merit. The writing is professorial but understandable and I did enjoy learning this view of astrology and the ancient history of the constellations.
Yiska Gallagher
Apr 04, 2013 Yiska Gallagher rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love this book because it dismisses the New Age idea of "astrology" and instead glorifies the Creator of stars! You can "see" the gospel told through the 12 major constellations in our night sky. The heavens truly do declare the glory of God!
Lisa
Jan 11, 2011 Lisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an exciting book to read, full of facts and ancient history. It was very uplifting to my faith, knowing that the LORD made the stars, and that he made them for a specific purpose. WOW GOD!
Micah
Micah rated it it was amazing
Feb 01, 2017
Helena
Helena rated it really liked it
Feb 19, 2008
Beth Fuellbier
Beth Fuellbier rated it really liked it
Jul 30, 2015
Quatesha Cobbin
Quatesha Cobbin rated it did not like it
Sep 27, 2014
Frank Dupree
Frank Dupree rated it liked it
Jan 02, 2017
Simona
Simona rated it it was amazing
Jul 12, 2012
Carol Titel
Carol Titel rated it it was amazing
Apr 06, 2013
Osiris Oliphant
Osiris Oliphant rated it it was amazing
Mar 15, 2015
Steven Montgomery
Steven Montgomery rated it really liked it
Mar 29, 2009
David Gaddy
David Gaddy rated it it was amazing
Jul 22, 2015
Mitch Lyman
Mitch Lyman rated it it was amazing
Mar 16, 2013
Justin Swanstrom
Justin Swanstrom rated it liked it
Oct 10, 2013
Teresa Goudy
Teresa Goudy rated it it was amazing
Nov 14, 2012
Cynthia Tingler
Cynthia Tingler rated it it was amazing
Dec 27, 2015
Andre
Andre rated it really liked it
Jun 18, 2011
Luke Cannone
Luke Cannone rated it really liked it
Oct 25, 2012
John Rees
John Rees rated it it was amazing
Sep 04, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • After The Flood: the early Post-Flood History of Europe
  • Number in Scripture: Its Supernatural Design and Spiritual Significance
  • The Collected Works of C.S. Lewis
  • Tantric Orgasm for Women
  • Learn The Bible In 24 Hours
  • Conceptions of God in Ancient Egypt
  • Mark: The Gospel of Passion (Biblical Imagination)
  • Second Language Acquisition: An Introductory Course
  • The Dawkins Letters: Challenging Atheist Myths
  • The Genesis Record: A Scientific and Devotional Commentary on the Book of Beginnings
  • Who Moved the Stone?
  • The Parables: Jewish Tradition and Christian Interpretation
  • Bones of Contention: A Creationist Assessment of the Human Fossils
  • Darkness Is My Only Companion: A Christian Response to Mental Illness
  • Forbidden Gates: How Genetics, Robotics, Artificial Intelligence, Synthetic Biology, Nanotechnology, and Human Enhancement Herald The Dawn Of TechnoDimensional Spiritual Warfare
  • The Historical Figure of Jesus
  • The Anger Workbook
  • How to be Your Own Selfish Pig: And Other Ways You've Been Brainwashed

“Astronomy, mixed with astrology, occupied a large number of tablets in the Babylonian libraries,” 0 likes
“Another important statement” 0 likes