Start by marking “My Heart Lies South: The Story of My Mexican Marriage” as Want to Read:
My Heart Lies South: The Story of My Mexican Marriage

My Heart Lies South: The Story of My Mexican Marriage

4.08  ·  Rating Details  ·  146 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
What happens when a thoroughly twentieth-century American lady journalist becomes a Mexican senora in nineteen-thirties provincial Monterrey? She finds herself sometimes hilariously coping with servants, daily food allowances, bargaining, and dramatic Latin emotions. It is like stepping back a hundred years. In this vivid autobiography, Newberry Award-winning author Elizab ...more
Published February 16th 2007 by Bethlehem Books (first published December 31st 1972)

To ask other readers questions about My Heart Lies South, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Heart Lies South

Carol
Mar 10, 2014 Carol rated it liked it
(3.5 stars) This is the story of a mixed marriage: an American woman who married into a traditional Mexican family in the 1930's.

The first half of the book left me under-impressed. The cross-cultural differences seemed clichéd and shopworn. Nothing surprised me.

Then I came to the chapter on Tia Rosa, the spinster aunt. Tia Rosa's life followed a custom I found highly unusual: the last daughter to marry *never marries* in order to take care of her mother. When the mother passes, she becomes a so
Abbey
May 05, 2012 Abbey rated it it was amazing
Elizabeth Borton de Trevino’s book, My Heart Lies South, is an Autobiography about Trevino’s Mexican marriage. In her book, Trevino relates to her readers the trials and tribulations of her newfound life in Mexico. During this new life, Trevino runs into various troubles resulting from the large differences between life in Mexico and life in the US. One of Trevino’s troubles is her experience with the Mexican postal service. On one occasion Trevino tries to pick up a package from her friend in ...more
Debbie
Jan 22, 2009 Debbie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romantic-fiction
This is the "adult" version of the paperback book. It has a few slightly more "risque" parts, but I placed it under "juvenile" fiction because it is very mild by today's standards. One of the scenes included in this version which isn't in the "young reader's" paperback version, is the story of how her mother-in-law tried to help her son and daughter-in-law's marriage by making her daughter think he was having an affair with another woman, which would incite jealousy in the woman and repentance i ...more
Dawn Roberts
Jul 16, 2012 Dawn Roberts rated it it was amazing
After we finished and loved I, Juan de Pareja, we started on the autobiography of its author. This book is hilarious and reminds me constantly of a dear friend who also married her Mexican love. Elizabeth Borton de Trevino, however, remained in her adopted Mexico for the rest of her life. The vivid picture she paints of life in Monterrey in the mid-20th century allows you to share the love she developed for the country and its people.
Jenevieve
Feb 22, 2013 Jenevieve rated it it was amazing
The story of an American woman's marriage to a Mexican and her assimilation into Mexican culture and appreciation for it's heritage. Elizabeth was a reporter and one day her boss said "You know how you always wanted to go to Mexico? See how far you can get on this and write a story when you get as far as you can." In her travels, she met Luis who almost immediately started courting her, unbeknownst to her at that time. In a scandalously short time (less than a year), they were married and she wa ...more
Sonya
Apr 12, 2015 Sonya rated it really liked it
A delightful book exploring culture from an outsider who marries into a Mexican town (she doesn't just marry her husband, she gains a community). She desires to acclimate into their life even with its bumps that she candidly shares with laughter, and tears. The entire family enjoyed learning about another era with its life in a small town in Mexico.
Kim
Apr 15, 2016 Kim rated it liked it
Shelves: biographical
I read this book because I had enjoyed her Newberry winner I, Juan de Pareja many years ago, and wanted to read another book by her. This was the only one I found, and it was an interesting read.
A stronger ending would have been more in keeping with the tone set right from the start of the book.
Who knew that Monterrey Mexico was populated with 'Jewish' Catholics. Jews from Spain who had been forced to convert our die during the Inquisition. These are the Jews of 15th C.Spain who were wise busin
April
May 15, 2015 April rated it really liked it
An engaging true story of the culture and family life in Mexico as experienced by a transplanted American that will touch your heart.
Suzanne
Mar 05, 2014 Suzanne rated it it was amazing
Excellent memoir, filled with cultural detail and so well written that I never wanted it to end. A must read that made me laugh out loud, pause to think, and long for a society that so highly values family.
AmyNikita
Aug 20, 2015 AmyNikita rated it liked it
Shelves: read-for-school
Very interesting and entertaining, though some parts were a bit boring. But it was also very funny, and very informative about Mexican culture; dwelling on the good things about it and not on the bad. I learnt a lot :)
Libby
Jul 10, 2010 Libby rated it really liked it
I just finished a version of this book that is not the "young people's edition." Originally published in 1953, the author narrates events from the '30s. Gentle, easy read, an enjoyable story about life in northern Mexico a long time ago. The author, a native Californian, marries a Mexican man and goes to live with him and his family in Monterrey.
Cat *living for the One who breaths life into me*
Very interesting culrurally speaking and as far as writing it wasn't a masterpiece but it was not crappy. I enjoyed it a great deal. Laughing and crying at parts. Though it was for school I think it was better than some of the or school books that I have read. Overrall I give it a 3 out of 5.
Signe
Mar 05, 2010 Signe rated it really liked it
This is a great book for peeking into Mexican culture. It would be a great book for older kids studying different cultures. It is a perspective you can only have if you are able to live in it the way Eleezabet did. It was a very pleasant read as well. A good summer read.
Amy Lawrence
Apr 29, 2016 Amy Lawrence rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Heartwarming, so vivid and fascinating biography of Mexican life

I recommend this book. I found this on the sonlight.com booklist. Heartwarming, vivid, enchanting biography of an American woman's move to Mexico and her life thereafter.
Colleen
Feb 28, 2008 Colleen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: young-adult
This is a book that is often put on young adult shelves, but I (very much an adult) really enjoyed the story of a young women journalist that falls in love and marries a Mexican. It is a great love story and tells us so much about Mexican culture.

Shelli
Mar 23, 2013 Shelli rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-of-2013
Loved this window into early 20th century Mexican life! I had tears when I read about the reverence Mexican families have for the elderly/infirmed. This just may be my favorite read of 2013.
Carmen
Mar 31, 2008 Carmen rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Carmen by: Mary Catherine McCoy
Such an enjoyable story. The author has a great sense of humor and of course it is interesting reading about some of the crazy Mexican customs that she had to endure.
Janet
Jul 18, 2012 Janet rated it it was amazing
I read the original edition, not the young people's edition which this is apparently. I have not read this edition. The original remains one of my favorite books.
rebecca
Jul 23, 2008 rebecca rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was such a fun book to read! Having lived in Mexico for a short time myself, I felt like I was re-living some of those experiences through hers.
Olivia
Feb 04, 2014 Olivia rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed reading about Elizabeth Tervino's marriage to a Mexican man and the happy life they lived together.
Ariel Paiement
Apr 27, 2013 Ariel Paiement rated it it was amazing
Shelves: history, biographies
Moving and warm. It has many funny parts and it teaches a bit about Mexico through the experiences of the author.
Karen
Mar 29, 2010 Karen marked it as did-not-finish
Shelves: kids-together
My boys and I just could not follow the book. Did not like how it was written so gave up on reading it.
Shannon
May 13, 2012 Shannon rated it it was amazing
Again a big thanks to Leslie for this awesome book. What a great look into the Mexican culture!
Debbie
Jan 22, 2009 Debbie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: juvenile-fiction
Funny, heartwarming. A book I often think about even though I read it years ago.
Vieve
Jul 13, 2008 Vieve rated it it was amazing
What an enjoyable read. Very interesting to learn of old Mexican culture.
Leslie
Jun 18, 2013 Leslie rated it really liked it
Shelves: goose, petunia
This is one of my all time favorite books! I've read this about 15 times!
Skye
Mar 01, 2012 Skye rated it liked it
Shelves: homeschool
Fun read! Interesting about Mexican culture.
Clare D' Lune
Aug 29, 2008 Clare D' Lune rated it really liked it
I must say, she had some pretty funny stories....
Elizabeth
Elizabeth rated it it was amazing
May 01, 2016
Stormsiren99
Stormsiren99 rated it liked it
May 01, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Around the World ...: Sandy ~ Rogue Traveler 2 9 Mar 02, 2013 03:28PM
  • Bonanza Girl
  • Guests
  • World War II: The Rest Of The Story And How It Affects You Today, 1930 To September 11, 2001
  • Moonshiner's Son
  • They Loved to Laugh
  • Bound for Oregon
  • Stink Alley
  • The Boys' War: Confederate and Union Soldiers Talk About the Civil War
  • Keeping Score
  • The Slopes of War
  • The Great Little Madison
  • Cameron Townsend: Good News in Every Language (Christian Heroes: Then & Now)
  • Sacajawea
  • An Age of Extremes 1880-1917 (A History of US #8)
  • The Winged Watchman (Living History Library)
  • The Landing of the Pilgrims
Elizabeth Borton de Treviño was the highly acclaimed author of many books for young people. Born in California, it was her move to Mexico in the 1930s that inspired many of her books, including El Güero: A True Adventure Story and Leona: A Love Story. She won the Newbery Medal in 1966 for I, Juan de Pareja.

Elizabeth was born in Bakersfield, California, the daughter of attorney Fred Ellsworth Borto
More about Elizabeth Borton de Treviño...