Start by marking “My Heart Lies South: The Story of My Mexican Marriage” as Want to Read:
My Heart Lies South: The Story of My Mexican Marriage

My Heart Lies South: The Story of My Mexican Marriage

4.19 of 5 stars 4.19  ·  rating details  ·  105 ratings  ·  24 reviews
The author describes her life after she falls in love with and marries a Mexican man in the 1930s and moves from the United States to Mexico.
Published September 1st 2000 by Bethlehem Books (first published December 31st 1972)

To ask other readers questions about My Heart Lies South, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Heart Lies South

Debbie
This is the "adult" version of the paperback book. It has a few slightly more "risque" parts, but I placed it under "juvenile" fiction because it is very mild by today's standards. One of the scenes included in this version which isn't in the "young reader's" paperback version, is the story of how her mother-in-law tried to help her son and daughter-in-law's marriage by making her daughter think he was having an affair with another woman, which would incite jealousy in the woman and repentance i...more
Carol
(3.5 stars) This is the story of a mixed marriage: an American woman who married into a traditional Mexican family in the 1930's.

The first half of the book left me under-impressed. The cross-cultural differences seemed clichéd and shopworn. Nothing surprised me.

Then I came to the chapter on Tia Rosa, the spinster aunt. Tia Rosa's life followed a custom I found highly unusual: the last daughter to marry *never marries* in order to take care of her mother. When the mother passes, she becomes a so...more
Dawn Roberts
After we finished and loved I, Juan de Pareja, we started on the autobiography of its author. This book is hilarious and reminds me constantly of a dear friend who also married her Mexican love. Elizabeth Borton de Trevino, however, remained in her adopted Mexico for the rest of her life. The vivid picture she paints of life in Monterrey in the mid-20th century allows you to share the love she developed for the country and its people.
Abbey
Elizabeth Borton de Trevino’s book, My Heart Lies South, is an Autobiography about Trevino’s Mexican marriage. In her book, Trevino relates to her readers the trials and tribulations of her newfound life in Mexico. During this new life, Trevino runs into various troubles resulting from the large differences between life in Mexico and life in the US. One of Trevino’s troubles is her experience with the Mexican postal service. On one occasion Trevino tries to pick up a package from her friend in...more
Jenevieve
The story of an American woman's marriage to a Mexican and her assimilation into Mexican culture and appreciation for it's heritage. Elizabeth was a reporter and one day her boss said "You know how you always wanted to go to Mexico? See how far you can get on this and write a story when you get as far as you can." In her travels, she met Luis who almost immediately started courting her, unbeknownst to her at that time. In a scandalously short time (less than a year), they were married and she wa...more
Suzanne
Excellent memoir, filled with cultural detail and so well written that I never wanted it to end. A must read that made me laugh out loud, pause to think, and long for a society that so highly values family.
Libby
I just finished a version of this book that is not the "young people's edition." Originally published in 1953, the author narrates events from the '30s. Gentle, easy read, an enjoyable story about life in northern Mexico a long time ago. The author, a native Californian, marries a Mexican man and goes to live with him and his family in Monterrey.
Cat *living for the One who breaths life into me*
Very interesting culrurally speaking and as far as writing it wasn't a masterpiece but it was not crappy. I enjoyed it a great deal. Laughing and crying at parts. Though it was for school I think it was better than some of the or school books that I have read. Overrall I give it a 3 out of 5.
Signe
This is a great book for peeking into Mexican culture. It would be a great book for older kids studying different cultures. It is a perspective you can only have if you are able to live in it the way Eleezabet did. It was a very pleasant read as well. A good summer read.
Colleen
This is a book that is often put on young adult shelves, but I (very much an adult) really enjoyed the story of a young women journalist that falls in love and marries a Mexican. It is a great love story and tells us so much about Mexican culture.

Shelli
Loved this window into early 20th century Mexican life! I had tears when I read about the reverence Mexican families have for the elderly/infirmed. This just may be my favorite read of 2013.
Carmen
Mar 31, 2008 Carmen rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Carmen by: Mary Catherine McCoy
Such an enjoyable story. The author has a great sense of humor and of course it is interesting reading about some of the crazy Mexican customs that she had to endure.
Janet
I read the original edition, not the young people's edition which this is apparently. I have not read this edition. The original remains one of my favorite books.
Sandy
I love this book with my whole heart. I love the author, too, though I never met her. She welcomed me into her life through this book. I will always be grateful.
rebecca
This was such a fun book to read! Having lived in Mexico for a short time myself, I felt like I was re-living some of those experiences through hers.
Olivia
I really enjoyed reading about Elizabeth Tervino's marriage to a Mexican man and the happy life they lived together.
Ariel
Moving and warm. It has many funny parts and it teaches a bit about Mexico through the experiences of the author.
Karen
Mar 29, 2010 Karen marked it as did-not-finish
Shelves: kids-together
My boys and I just could not follow the book. Did not like how it was written so gave up on reading it.
Shannon
Again a big thanks to Leslie for this awesome book. What a great look into the Mexican culture!
Debbie
Funny, heartwarming. A book I often think about even though I read it years ago.
Vieve
What an enjoyable read. Very interesting to learn of old Mexican culture.
Leslie
This is one of my all time favorite books! I've read this about 15 times!
Skye
Fun read! Interesting about Mexican culture.
Clare D' Lune
I must say, she had some pretty funny stories....
Shannon
Shannon marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2014
Elizabeth  Crown
Elizabeth Crown marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Around the World ...: Sandy ~ Rogue Traveler 2 9 Mar 02, 2013 03:28PM
Elizabeth Borton de Treviño was the highly acclaimed author of many books for young people. Born in California, it was her move to Mexico in the 1930s that inspired many of her books, including El Güero: A True Adventure Story and Leona: A Love Story. She won the Newbery Medal in 1966 for I, Juan de Pareja.

Elizabeth was born in Bakersfield, California, the daughter of attorney Fred Ellsworth Borto...more
More about Elizabeth Borton de Treviño...
I, Juan de Pareja El Guero: A True Adventure Story Casilda of the Rising Moon: A Tale of Magic and of Faith, of Knights and a Saint in Medieval Spain Nacar, the White Deer: A Story of Old Mexico Where the Heart Is: at home in Mexico