Start by marking “For Crying Out Loud! (World According to Clarkson, #3)” as Want to Read:
For Crying Out Loud! (World According to Clarkson, #3)

For Crying Out Loud! (The World According to Clarkson #3)

3.85  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,676 Ratings  ·  91 Reviews
The publication of 'The World According to Clarkson' launched a publishing phenomenon. Combined sales of 'The World According to Clarkson' and its best-selling successor 'And Another Thing' have topped 2.5 million copies. Now they are joined by a third title that brings the Clarkson story up-to-date.
Published 2008 by Penguin (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about For Crying Out Loud!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about For Crying Out Loud!

Martyn Stanley
Jun 02, 2014 Martyn Stanley rated it really liked it
I toyed for a long time between giving this 3 or 4 stars. I think it's probably a 3.6 all in.

Clarkson is very perceptive and has an endearing dry wit to writing. His success is in that he is obviously very intelligent, but humorously portrays himself as somewhat stupid. There are numerous references to Top Gear in this book and his dialogue and comical reference points are reproduced in written form successfully. Even if you don't agree with his conclusions, some of which are serious and some ar
Gail Kavanagh
Jan 08, 2013 Gail Kavanagh rated it it was amazing
I have to confess I absolutely love Top Gear. I love the TG Triad of Clarkson, May and Hammond, the cars, the jokes and the madcap adventures around the world. How does this sit with my rather Greenish and liberal stance on everything else? Very badly.

But I also love being entertained by witty, cheeky - yes, even bombastic - Englishmen(QI is another case in point)and yes, I love Jeremy Clarkson best of all. Even if most of it isn't irony, sarcasm or just plain self mocking British humour, I love
Whisper19
Dec 02, 2011 Whisper19 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"So what, then, with my wealth of experience of the animal kingdom would I recommend if you don’t want a dog any more? Well, not a cat, obviously – despicable animals, the four-legged equivalent of a footballer’s wife: pretty, well groomed and clean but, fundamentally, only after your money."

"And why is the shipping forecast so bland? Why instead of ‘stormy’ don’t they say the sea’s ‘a frothing maelstrom of terror and hopelessness’?"

"Only last week we heard that scientists in the South American
Rebecca
Feb 03, 2012 Rebecca rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, humour
If you don't like Jeremy Clarkson then do not read this book. You will not be pleasantly surprised, he hasn't changed. This book is Jeremy Clarkson getting angry about stuff. Stuff in this book includes schools, parties, the environment, music, dead seals, the monarchy, camping, James Bond, dead donkeys, television and the weather. Admittedly he doesn't always get angry, sometimes he just grumps. But if you've watched him on tv and thought he was an arse, don't buy this book and expect something ...more
Moxie Carroll
Mar 27, 2015 Moxie Carroll rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, humour
I am beginning to suspect that the persona Jeremy Clarkson presents through his writing is very much in line with the persona Stephen Colbert presents through his television show.

Is Clarkson conservative? Of course. Is he a bit of a douche sometimes? Many people would certainly agree with that. But the levels of bigotry and stereotypes he claims to agree with is just over the top enough to make me doubt his honesty. He wouldn't be as successful as he is if this wasn't a tongue-in-cheek assessme
Michelle Kramer
Apr 17, 2010 Michelle Kramer rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
Being bored at the airport, watching Top Gear and looking at some of Clarkson's past paper columns convinced me to pick up this book; and I definitely don't regret it. A compilation of newspaper columns from 2006 / 2007 (which I'll admit, made some things slightly out of context - but nothing beats hindsight in some circumstances), Clarkson really doesn't hold back. Covering topics ranging from political correctness to traditional family Christmasses, there truly is something for everyone. One t ...more
Mina_rrat
Mar 10, 2014 Mina_rrat rated it liked it
Recommended to Mina_rrat by: Sam
If you are a fan of Top Gear, then this book is a must – simply because Jeremy Clarkson has written it. It surely isn't a light read because at some parts it is quite tedious, but Jeremy makes those parts up with sayings like:

And we therefore know that eating a supermarket strawberry is a bit like making love to the most beautiful girl in the world and finding out she's got the bird flu.

He is as direct as ever, but not only in a funny way, he can be quite serious about other topics too. He talks
Ryan Brinkworth
Aug 30, 2013 Ryan Brinkworth rated it liked it
I enjoyed this holiday-reading book, altho quite a bit of the content is now outdated, and I missed a lot of the many references to UK celebrities or politicians. Clarkson has an enjoyable writing style, bouncing between exaggeration, insight, and sarcasm. And he tells a tale with perfect lead up and description, making me laugh out loud all too often.
Elixabeth Ballantine
Good, but it's the book that sits in the loo for people to read. Not really something you'd sit and read cover to cover, more read little bits and put it down.
Jane(Janelba)
This is one of the better Clarkson books with quite a few laughs in it.
Mark A
Nov 13, 2014 Mark A rated it it was ok
I thought I should try a Clarkson as I quite like Top Gear and he's made me laugh once or twice in his Sunday Times column. This volume contains his weekly Murdoch shilling from 2006-2007. Most of the writing appears to have been dashed off in an ever so slightly longer period of time than it takes to actually read. Hence it's a ragbag of half-thought-through libertarian diatribes, most of which are surprisingly lacking in the kind of humour that would have made them palatable. We all know Jerem ...more
Steve Mitchell
They say that as you age your outlook to life drifts further to the right, in which case I may be the exception that proves the rule. (Either that of Clarkson is just moving further to the right a heck of a lot quicker than me!) I am finding it increasingly difficult to reconcile the fact that occasionally Clarkson can be genuinely witty with the downside that he is actually a bit of a bigot. As the comedian Patrick Kielty said when he appeared on Top Gear, “He’s the only man that confuses his o ...more
Liam Lane
Mar 14, 2012 Liam Lane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For Crying Out Loud: The World According to Clarkson vol. 3
Jeremy Clarkson

You'd think Jeremy Clarkson doesn't worry about being shot! That is all the people who he has insulted! The third installment of "The World According to Clarkson" is one of those books you want to read. Clarkson's personality, which I do say is hilarious, is expressed well (you can almost hear his voice when you read it). Working for the BBC as a presenter for one of its top show's, Top Gear, Clarkson also wrote for the S
Nicole (PhotographsMakeMemories)
I didn't find this book as attention grabbing or funny as the others in the series, however, it's still a good book overall.

As normal, 7 years down the line, Clarkson's articles are still relevant to life today and you shall find yourself nodding in agreement along with him. This book is a little more 'risque' than the first two of the series, with Clarkson's opinions written a little more fearlessly than previously.

Despite not being the best of the series, I will not hesitate to continue read
Okmanek
Jan 31, 2016 Okmanek rated it really liked it
To czego w sumie sięspodziewałem - fajne poczucie humoru i spojrzenie na wiele spraw, sprzeciw wobec poprawności politycznej. Dość mało o samochodach, za to są rozdziały o ekoterrorystach, martwej foce i równie martwym ośle. I jeszcze więcej o ekoterrorystach.

Czytałbym (więcej z tej serii jak i inne książki Clarksona).
Moving
Dec 03, 2014 Moving rated it it was ok
There are a few more in these series and I don't remember how many I read. Needless to mention, he makes for a better TV presenter. Just about OK in print. To be fair to him, these, if I remember right, are compilations of his newspaper columns. In any case, way too dated to pick up now for a read. Old JC has also come in for a bit of flak since for his not always too entirely PC choice of phrase. But what would he be without his brand of rants, eh?
Opica
Jul 28, 2014 Opica rated it really liked it
Clarkson je objesten star nergač, ampak meni je smešen. Totalno politično nekorekten, ampak ti je jasno, da ima na nek način v marsičem prav. In kolumne so ravno prav dolge za nekajminutne pavze, da na hitro eno preberem med kuhanjem kave. Superzabavano branje.
Amol Nair
Dec 31, 2015 Amol Nair rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
A funny reflection of the guy himself - this book has a collection of his columns from a popular daily. You relate to some of them but you will laugh out loud to all of them. Watch top gear (till he was part of the team) if you want more of Mr. Clarkson.
Karlīna
May 18, 2014 Karlīna rated it really liked it
I never thought that I would laugh while reading about someone who is trying to bury the seal. I know that the book consists of articles from newspaper, but it is still fun to read and a good way to lift up your mood.
Brian
Jun 03, 2012 Brian rated it it was amazing
Shelves: humor, reviewed
A collection of his weekly columns in the UK's 'Sunday times' newspaper dating between January 2006 and December 2007, Jeremy passes his own unique judegement on a wide variety of topics.

If you're not a fan of his irreverant 'take-no-prisoners, call-it-as-he-sees-it' attitude and writing style, then there are plenty of other books out there that might suit you better... on quilting perhaps? Or even flower-arranging...

However, if you too find yourself continually frustrated by the boneheaded deci
Brian Yam
Aug 12, 2014 Brian Yam rated it really liked it
Very Funny. Always a fan of his. I haven't red and of his writing prior to this one but GOSH! He crack me right away. although not every chapter are funny but overall a thumbs up
Aug 11, 2012 Sarah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ok
I seriously need to find the other volumes ...
Cause...Oh God I just enjoyed this one soooo much

It is a collection of articles that Jeremy Clarkson wrote in his column in the Sunday Times.
Which is Ranting about everything....sometimes I didn't have a clue what is he rambling on but What the Hell ..it was freaking Hilarious....

For me it wasn't a book that I would or could finish quickly ...
And Honestly....you just can't finish such books quickly...you need time to REALLY enjoy every page of it
Lee Belbin
Nov 30, 2014 Lee Belbin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hilarious and totally over-the-top suite of column articles. A worry when I agree with him (e.g., religion, USA)
Mark Farley
Jun 29, 2013 Mark Farley rated it it was amazing
There's something about Jeremy Clarkson that I can't quite put my finger on. Everything should suggest that I should hate him and not even want to pick up one of his books or watch one of his shows. But yet I do. His brand of tired misogyny and out of touch dad stupidity and his obsession with gas guzzling cars is everything that I hate. Yet I'm still drawn to him. Even some of his opinions I don't agree with. Yet I'm transfixed by his books, I laugh my balls off and sometimes even find myself a ...more
Mephi
Dec 17, 2013 Mephi rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-books
Sometimes I should read the description full and carefully. Because this is exactly as described a ‘collection of Jeremy’s Sunday Times columns’ and nothing more.
It’s kind of needless to read. The columns have a very wide range from bad to good, sometimes it seemed like he did not know what to write. Also it’s full of London/British insiders, celebrities I’ve never heard of. And the humour is missing, instead you read the complaints of an old man.

If you need a cynical, amusing view of Britain i
Kent
Oct 19, 2014 Kent rated it really liked it
Typical Clarkson, irreverent but spot on. Cuts through so much of the PC BS we have to live with today. Be good, be nice, get on with it, how hard can that be. I am sure that the pursed lip brigade would hate every word in this book, but if any have read it they are most certainly in need of help in recovering from unbridled indignation.g
Adele
Jan 23, 2016 Adele is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Read up to p.240
Leodora Murphy
Oct 11, 2011 Leodora Murphy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I find Clarkson really funny. eventhough he's old and is grumpy most of the time, he's a big kid at the same time. I like the way he views the world and how easy many things could be solved if Clarkson was in charge. But I do realize the flaws in many of his suggestions, so maybe it's a good thing he doesn't have that much to say in the british goverment. But I laughed the whole way through this book, even when the topic was something utterly british that I didn't understand. Well done Mr. Clark ...more
Stonemagpie
Jul 13, 2009 Stonemagpie rated it really liked it
Shelves: humor
The third volume in the series. It's not really a book as such; it's a collection of articles that Clarkson has written for... The Times I think. They are all a couple of years old, which means that some of the content is rather out of date. When Clarkson talks about how well the country is doing economically for example.

Each section is a couple of pages long, and they cover a huge range of topics. I don’t always agree with everything he says, but he’s always very funny.
Kristina
Jan 24, 2016 Kristina rated it it was amazing
Shelves: top-gear
Like being taken behind the scenes on a private tour.
  • Notes from the Hard Shoulder
  • Or Is That Just Me?
  • Advanced Banter: The Qi Book of Quotations
  • Bearded Tit
  • Spoken From The Front: Real Voices From the Battlefields of Afghanistan
  • Where Have All the Bullets Gone?  (War Memoirs, #5)
  • Why Do I Say These Things?
  • Halfway To Hollywood: Diaries 1980 to 1988 (Palin Diaries, #2)
  • In the Valley of the Kings: Howard Carter and the Mystery of King Tutankhamun's Tomb
  • Billy Connolly's Route 66
  • The Man in the White Suit: The Stig, Le Mans, the Fast Lane and Me
  • Don't You Know Who I Am?
  • Crisis and Command: A History of Executive Power from George Washington to George W. Bush
  • Cybill Disobedience: How I Survived Beauty Pageants, Elvis, Sex, Bruce Willis, Lies, Marriage, Motherhood, Hollywood, and the Irrepressible Urge to Say What I Think
  • England (Lonely Planet Guide)
  • Jeff Corwin: a Wild Life: The Authorized Biography
  • Always Remember to Tip Your Ninja: And Other Maxims for the Clinically Absurd
Jeremy Charles Robert Clarkson (born April 11, 1960) is an English broadcaster and writer who specialises in motoring.

He writes weekly columns for The Sunday Times and The Sun, but is better known for his role on the BBC television programme Top Gear.

From a career as a local journalist in the north of England, he rose to public prominence as a presenter of the original format of Top Gear in 1988.
More about Jeremy Clarkson...

The World According to Clarkson (5 books)
  • The World According to Clarkson (World According to Clarkson, #1)
  • And Another Thing (World According To Clarkson, #2)
  • How Hard Can It Be? (World According to Clarkson, #4)
  • Is It Really Too Much To Ask? (World According to Clarkson, #5)

“Why is the forecast so bland? Why instead of 'stormy' don't they just say the sea's 'a frothing maelstrom of terror and hopelessness'?” 10 likes