Start by marking “For Crying Out Loud! (World According to Clarkson, #3)” as Want to Read:
For Crying Out Loud! (World According to Clarkson, #3)

For Crying Out Loud! (The World According to Clarkson #3)

3.84  ·  Rating Details ·  1,839 Ratings  ·  96 Reviews
The publication of 'The World According to Clarkson' launched a publishing phenomenon. Combined sales of 'The World According to Clarkson' and its best-selling successor 'And Another Thing' have topped 2.5 million copies. Now they are joined by a third title that brings the Clarkson story up-to-date.
Published 2008 by Penguin (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about For Crying Out Loud!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about For Crying Out Loud!

Martyn Stanley
Jun 02, 2014 Martyn Stanley rated it really liked it
I toyed for a long time between giving this 3 or 4 stars. I think it's probably a 3.6 all in.

Clarkson is very perceptive and has an endearing dry wit to writing. His success is in that he is obviously very intelligent, but humorously portrays himself as somewhat stupid. There are numerous references to Top Gear in this book and his dialogue and comical reference points are reproduced in written form successfully. Even if you don't agree with his conclusions, some of which are serious and some ar
Whisper19
Dec 02, 2011 Whisper19 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"So what, then, with my wealth of experience of the animal kingdom would I recommend if you don’t want a dog any more? Well, not a cat, obviously – despicable animals, the four-legged equivalent of a footballer’s wife: pretty, well groomed and clean but, fundamentally, only after your money."

"And why is the shipping forecast so bland? Why instead of ‘stormy’ don’t they say the sea’s ‘a frothing maelstrom of terror and hopelessness’?"

"Only last week we heard that scientists in the South American
Rebecca
Feb 03, 2012 Rebecca rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, humour
If you don't like Jeremy Clarkson then do not read this book. You will not be pleasantly surprised, he hasn't changed. This book is Jeremy Clarkson getting angry about stuff. Stuff in this book includes schools, parties, the environment, music, dead seals, the monarchy, camping, James Bond, dead donkeys, television and the weather. Admittedly he doesn't always get angry, sometimes he just grumps. But if you've watched him on tv and thought he was an arse, don't buy this book and expect something ...more
Moxie Carroll
Mar 27, 2015 Moxie Carroll rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, humour
I am beginning to suspect that the persona Jeremy Clarkson presents through his writing is very much in line with the persona Stephen Colbert presents through his television show.

Is Clarkson conservative? Of course. Is he a bit of a douche sometimes? Many people would certainly agree with that. But the levels of bigotry and stereotypes he claims to agree with is just over the top enough to make me doubt his honesty. He wouldn't be as successful as he is if this wasn't a tongue-in-cheek assessme
Michelle Kramer
Apr 17, 2010 Michelle Kramer rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
Being bored at the airport, watching Top Gear and looking at some of Clarkson's past paper columns convinced me to pick up this book; and I definitely don't regret it. A compilation of newspaper columns from 2006 / 2007 (which I'll admit, made some things slightly out of context - but nothing beats hindsight in some circumstances), Clarkson really doesn't hold back. Covering topics ranging from political correctness to traditional family Christmasses, there truly is something for everyone. One ...more
Ryan Brinkworth
Aug 30, 2013 Ryan Brinkworth rated it liked it
I enjoyed this holiday-reading book, altho quite a bit of the content is now outdated, and I missed a lot of the many references to UK celebrities or politicians. Clarkson has an enjoyable writing style, bouncing between exaggeration, insight, and sarcasm. And he tells a tale with perfect lead up and description, making me laugh out loud all too often.
Steve
Jan 27, 2009 Steve rated it it was amazing
Typical Jeremy. There is always a large grain of truth in his sometimes outrageuos approch. He dares to say things many of us probably think and is wholly entertaining in the process. Keep them coming. Can't wait for Vol 4.
Elixabeth Ballantine
Good, but it's the book that sits in the loo for people to read. Not really something you'd sit and read cover to cover, more read little bits and put it down.
Megan Kelosiwang
Nov 29, 2016 Megan Kelosiwang rated it really liked it
I'm a longtime fan of Top gear so am used to Clarksons brand of humour. The feminist, pinko, lefty side of me bristles at his sexist, racists, pigheaded remarks, albeit calculated, but at the same time I think it's important to challenge the status quo. It's interesting to read topical pieces from 10 years ago and I love all the affectionate references to Botswana, my current home. I've watched 27 series of top gear so I'm pretty sure I'll read the other books as well.
Froof
Nov 24, 2016 Froof rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Strangely, this was more entertaining then his collection of articles on cars.
Liam Lane
Mar 14, 2012 Liam Lane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For Crying Out Loud: The World According to Clarkson vol. 3
Jeremy Clarkson

You'd think Jeremy Clarkson doesn't worry about being shot! That is all the people who he has insulted! The third installment of "The World According to Clarkson" is one of those books you want to read. Clarkson's personality, which I do say is hilarious, is expressed well (you can almost hear his voice when you read it). Working for the BBC as a presenter for one of its top show's, Top Gear, Clarkson also wrote for the S
Steve Mitchell
They say that as you age your outlook to life drifts further to the right, in which case I may be the exception that proves the rule. (Either that of Clarkson is just moving further to the right a heck of a lot quicker than me!) I am finding it increasingly difficult to reconcile the fact that occasionally Clarkson can be genuinely witty with the downside that he is actually a bit of a bigot. As the comedian Patrick Kielty said when he appeared on Top Gear, “He’s the only man that confuses his ...more
Mina_rrat
Mar 10, 2014 Mina_rrat rated it liked it
Recommended to Mina_rrat by: Sam
If you are a fan of Top Gear, then this book is a must – simply because Jeremy Clarkson has written it. It surely isn't a light read because at some parts it is quite tedious, but Jeremy makes those parts up with sayings like:

And we therefore know that eating a supermarket strawberry is a bit like making love to the most beautiful girl in the world and finding out she's got the bird flu.

He is as direct as ever, but not only in a funny way, he can be quite serious about other topics too. He talks
Mark A
Nov 13, 2014 Mark A rated it it was ok
I thought I should try a Clarkson as I quite like Top Gear and he's made me laugh once or twice in his Sunday Times column. This volume contains his weekly Murdoch shilling from 2006-2007. Most of the writing appears to have been dashed off in an ever so slightly longer period of time than it takes to actually read. Hence it's a ragbag of half-thought-through libertarian diatribes, most of which are surprisingly lacking in the kind of humour that would have made them palatable. We all know ...more
Aug 11, 2012 Sarah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ok
I seriously need to find the other volumes ...
Cause...Oh God I just enjoyed this one soooo much

It is a collection of articles that Jeremy Clarkson wrote in his column in the Sunday Times.
Which is Ranting about everything....sometimes I didn't have a clue what is he rambling on but What the Hell ..it was freaking Hilarious....

For me it wasn't a book that I would or could finish quickly ...
And Honestly....you just can't finish such books quickly...you need time to REALLY enjoy every page of it
Mark Farley
Jun 29, 2013 Mark Farley rated it it was amazing
There's something about Jeremy Clarkson that I can't quite put my finger on. Everything should suggest that I should hate him and not even want to pick up one of his books or watch one of his shows. But yet I do. His brand of tired misogyny and out of touch dad stupidity and his obsession with gas guzzling cars is everything that I hate. Yet I'm still drawn to him. Even some of his opinions I don't agree with. Yet I'm transfixed by his books, I laugh my balls off and sometimes even find myself ...more
Brian
Jun 03, 2012 Brian rated it it was amazing
Shelves: humor, reviewed
A collection of his weekly columns in the UK's 'Sunday times' newspaper dating between January 2006 and December 2007, Jeremy passes his own unique judegement on a wide variety of topics.

If you're not a fan of his irreverant 'take-no-prisoners, call-it-as-he-sees-it' attitude and writing style, then there are plenty of other books out there that might suit you better... on quilting perhaps? Or even flower-arranging...

However, if you too find yourself continually frustrated by the boneheaded deci
Mephi
Dec 17, 2013 Mephi rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-books
Sometimes I should read the description full and carefully. Because this is exactly as described a ‘collection of Jeremy’s Sunday Times columns’ and nothing more.
It’s kind of needless to read. The columns have a very wide range from bad to good, sometimes it seemed like he did not know what to write. Also it’s full of London/British insiders, celebrities I’ve never heard of. And the humour is missing, instead you read the complaints of an old man.

If you need a cynical, amusing view of Britain i
Nicole (PhotographsMakeMemories)
I didn't find this book as attention grabbing or funny as the others in the series, however, it's still a good book overall.

As normal, 7 years down the line, Clarkson's articles are still relevant to life today and you shall find yourself nodding in agreement along with him. This book is a little more 'risque' than the first two of the series, with Clarkson's opinions written a little more fearlessly than previously.

Despite not being the best of the series, I will not hesitate to continue read
Cameo
Oct 11, 2011 Cameo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I find Clarkson really funny. eventhough he's old and is grumpy most of the time, he's a big kid at the same time. I like the way he views the world and how easy many things could be solved if Clarkson was in charge. But I do realize the flaws in many of his suggestions, so maybe it's a good thing he doesn't have that much to say in the british goverment. But I laughed the whole way through this book, even when the topic was something utterly british that I didn't understand. Well done Mr. ...more
Gary Braham
Feb 04, 2013 Gary Braham rated it really liked it
More of the same from Clarkson. A bit grumpier than his first two "World According to Clarkson" His second volume was my favorite so far. This one seemed to be a bit more focused on small, individual situations, rather than broad, sweeping themes. So not being British, caused some of the stories to be a bit over my head, but still somewhat relatable to what is going on over on this side of the Atlantic.
Stonemagpie
Jul 13, 2009 Stonemagpie rated it really liked it
Shelves: humor
The third volume in the series. It's not really a book as such; it's a collection of articles that Clarkson has written for... The Times I think. They are all a couple of years old, which means that some of the content is rather out of date. When Clarkson talks about how well the country is doing economically for example.

Each section is a couple of pages long, and they cover a huge range of topics. I don’t always agree with everything he says, but he’s always very funny.
Kimberley
Feb 23, 2010 Kimberley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: so-funny
I love these books, they are well written and extremely funny (my husband banned me from reading this on the train as I embarressed him by laughing so much). The articles are short enough to read in full if you only have a short break to grab a quick read and are guaranteed to have you in stitches. Very true to life and that is what makes them funny, coupled with Clarksons writting style and attitude it can't not be a hit with many.
Jim
Dec 23, 2010 Jim rated it really liked it
I know I shouldn't, but I loved it. Clarkson is everyman's forty something, grumpy, dissatisfied, dismissive, discontent - but, at the end of it all, he's quite content too.
An antidote to the media set of metrosexuals who set so much of the tone of the BBC and the mainstream news, who else is going to inject common sense into a bloke's life? Keep writing Jeremy.
Kent
Oct 19, 2014 Kent rated it really liked it
Typical Clarkson, irreverent but spot on. Cuts through so much of the PC BS we have to live with today. Be good, be nice, get on with it, how hard can that be. I am sure that the pursed lip brigade would hate every word in this book, but if any have read it they are most certainly in need of help in recovering from unbridled indignation.g
Jen
Oct 14, 2010 Jen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction, humour
There are no shades of grey with Clarkson, you either love him or you hate him. The same really applies to his books. If you think Jeremy Clarkson is an unfunny, self-opinionated, narcissistic, overpaid oaf, then don't read this book. You'll hate it. If you're in the other camp... you'll love it. I gave it 5 stars - I think you can work out which camp I'm in...
Yas
Sep 07, 2014 Yas rated it did not like it
I fall into the love Jeremy Clarkson camp. I think he can be hilarious and absolutely love watching Top Gear. This book though, just wasn't my cup of tea. It was funny, at points but I mostly found the various articles quite hard to get through as aside from a few, I found most quite boring, despite the humourous bits so not for me.
Steve
Feb 21, 2013 Steve rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
I actually liked this a lot better than the previous two books. I found I could relate a lot more, probably because Jeremy actually spends some of space talking about Top Gear rather than just ranting about politicians and talking about towns in Britain that I don't know where are, and what they're supposed to be like.
Barbra
May 20, 2011 Barbra rated it liked it
Another funny book by Clarkson. I'm sure he is the original Grumpy Old Man.

Back Cover Blurb:
For anyone who's been driven to wonder just what is the matter with people these days, For Crying Out Loud! is the perfect riposte. Surprising, fearless and always laugh-out-loud funny, Clarkson's back. And he's got a point....
Okmanek
Jan 31, 2016 Okmanek rated it really liked it
To czego w sumie sięspodziewałem - fajne poczucie humoru i spojrzenie na wiele spraw, sprzeciw wobec poprawności politycznej. Dość mało o samochodach, za to są rozdziały o ekoterrorystach, martwej foce i równie martwym ośle. I jeszcze więcej o ekoterrorystach.

Czytałbym (więcej z tej serii jak i inne książki Clarksona).
  • Notes from the Hard Shoulder
  • Or Is That Just Me?
  • Advanced Banter: The QI Book of Quotations
  • Bearded Tit
  • Spoken From The Front: Real Voices From the Battlefields of Afghanistan
  • Where Have All the Bullets Gone?  (War Memoirs, #5)
  • Why Do I Say These Things?
  • Halfway To Hollywood: Diaries 1980 to 1988 (Palin Diaries, #2)
  • The Man in the White Suit: The Stig, Le Mans, the Fast Lane and Me
  • In the Valley of the Kings: Howard Carter and the Mystery of King Tutankhamun's Tomb
  • Jeff Corwin: a Wild Life: The Authorized Biography
  • Don't You Know Who I Am?
  • Hermit in Paris: Autobiographical Writings
  • This Is Not A Drill: Just Another Glorious Day In The Oilfield
  • Do Not Pass Go
  • Crisis and Command: A History of Executive Power from George Washington to George W. Bush
  • Operation Certain Death
Jeremy Charles Robert Clarkson (born April 11, 1960) is an English broadcaster and writer who specialises in motoring.

He writes weekly columns for The Sunday Times and The Sun, but is better known for his role on the BBC television programme Top Gear.

From a career as a local journalist in the north of England, he rose to public prominence as a presenter of the original format of Top Gear in 1988.
More about Jeremy Clarkson...

The World According to Clarkson (6 books)
  • The World According to Clarkson (World According to Clarkson, #1)
  • And Another Thing (World According To Clarkson, #2)
  • How Hard Can It Be? (World According to Clarkson, #4)
  • Is It Really Too Much To Ask? (World According to Clarkson, #5)
  • As I Was Saying . . .: The World According to Clarkson Volume 6

“Why is the forecast so bland? Why instead of 'stormy' don't they just say the sea's 'a frothing maelstrom of terror and hopelessness'?” 10 likes