Start by marking “Digital SLR Cameras & Photography for Dummies” as Want to Read:
Digital SLR Cameras & Photography for Dummies

Digital SLR Cameras & Photography for Dummies

3.52  ·  Rating Details  ·  243 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
Busch walks readers through the hardware, software and techniques necessary for taking good quality photographs with a digital SLR and using Photoshop to manipulate the images. He shows how to compare cameras, how to utilize creative exposure, and how to enhance and improve images.
Published September 1st 2007 by For Dummies (first published August 2nd 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Digital SLR Cameras & Photography for Dummies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Digital SLR Cameras & Photography for Dummies

Trevor
Sep 28, 2014 Trevor rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The eldest daughter is going to turn 21 soon and over the last while she has become increasingly interested in photography. She bought a Holga camera while away – sort of a plastic toy thing that leaks light but uses serious photographic film – all very artistic if absurdly expensive at the same time, while also being a little strange too, given the cost to quality ratio issues.

Anyway, having to tape up a camera so as to cut out some of the light getting in through the case seems to have made he
Joanna
Jul 01, 2015 Joanna rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Inhalt:

Eine digitale Spiegelreflexkamera kann um einiges mehr als die typische Handkamera für den Urlaub. Doch was genau kann die DSLR eigentlich und wie kann man ihre Fähigkeiten nutzen, um gute und schöne Bilder herzustellen?

Meine Meinung:

Dieses Buch habe ich vor einigen Jahren gewonnen und da ich endlich etwas Zeit habe, mich mit der Kamera zu beschäftigen, habe ich im Voraus dieses Buch gelesen. Denn nur durch Rumdrücken erfährt man längst nicht alles über eine digitale Spiegelflex.
Leider mu
Rob
Jun 04, 2008 Rob rated it liked it
Recommends it for: dSLR dummies
Shelves: own, photography, 2008
If you are a "serious amateur" photographer that is "upgrading" from a point-and-shoot to a DSLR then this book would be a great starter. An even better approach would be to keep it on your shelf next to Shooting Digital and have them act as companion pieces for each other.

Having read Shooting Digital last year, I would say that I find these books about equally useful and about equally executed but with different goals in mind. Whereas Shooting Digital is more technique driven, Digital SLR Cam
Vinit
Oct 14, 2015 Vinit rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hobbies
The book presents nice overview of various functionalities that modern day digital cameras provide. It is more like a reference book for newbies who need to check what settings result in what change in the photograph.

It also compares few other accessories which goes with photography and camera like lenses, tools for editing, SD cards etc.

Great book for people who want to start photography as a hobby.

For more advanced learning, I would suggest to go for some advanced book.
Scott Kennedy
May 28, 2016 Scott Kennedy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
I'm new to DSLRs and photography in general and I found this a very helpful introduction.
Muthu Arumugam
Really had a head start. Author covered several things about Camera as well as photography. I recommend a quick read and photograph to make learning faster and better.
Jocheung
May 03, 2016 Jocheung rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good introduction to DSLR photography for beginners.
Tanya
May 31, 2013 Tanya rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a must read if you are just learning about digital SLR cameras and photography...i have some knowledge about photography and started my passion and love affair when i was 12 years young...very easy to understand and explains each step simply and just enough information to be able to retain in the grey matter at once...a must read...i borrowed this book from the libraby to see it i want to buy it...it is now on my Santa list along side my new digital SLR camera...yes...i have been a ...more
Malvin
Jul 26, 2011 Malvin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A comprehensive introduction for absolute beginners, covering shooting techniques, gears, accessories and image editing. Naturally not suited for advanced level photographers, it should provide a few pointers to even intermediate levels, offering some interesting techniques including infrared, pinhole, time-lapse, very low/high speed and baroque photography. Dedicating a chapter to top online resources, it thoughtfully caters for amateurs by using the final chapter to introduce various advanced ...more
Victoria
As an amateur photographer trying to improve my skills, this was a good overview of techniques I can utilize to improve my photos. It was a good refresher on topics I've already learned plus a few new ones. I've been working towards using the manual settings on my DSLR and may use this book as a reference guide.
Brooke
I think I was hoping for something that was a little more in depth on photography rather than an overview of various DSLRs, storage media, and basic concepts (such as composition). However, this did get me interested in learning more and delving deeper.
Erin
Feb 09, 2011 Erin rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not what I was hoping for. This book spent a lot of time telling me why I was glad I have the camera that I do but not a whole lot of time talking about how to use it. It did, however, have a useful tutorial on photoshop.
Andy
Mar 08, 2012 Andy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great DSLR basics book for beginners - explains with clarity the settings and the mechanics behind them so someone new to DSLRs can understand and take better photos.
Yousef
Oct 08, 2010 Yousef rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great Book about Photography in General, and "Easy to understand" Reference to deal with Digital SLR
Ye
Aug 30, 2010 Ye rated it it was amazing
bought my first dslr, read this and now i can take pro shots
Kim
Jan 23, 2008 Kim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just got a new Olympus E-410...and trying to figure out all the neat features!
Linette
Nov 25, 2009 Linette rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone looking to purchase their first dSLR
Chapters 3 and 7 were the most useful. Good read, but I skipped around.
Rasha Yousif
It's very boring like reading a text book I skipped most parts!
Patience
Nov 23, 2014 Patience rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: textbook
I feel like I'm reading a textbook, but I'm learning
Jen
I need to figure out how to use my new camera!
Jen
Aug 11, 2011 Jen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great tips. Very helpful!
Jo
Raphael Chang
Aug 20, 2008 Raphael Chang rated it it was amazing
Perfect!
Shekhar Mittal
Shekhar Mittal rated it liked it
Jul 27, 2016
Sue Underwood
Sue Underwood marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2016
Connor
Connor marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2016
Marcus Baumgart
Marcus Baumgart is currently reading it
Jul 16, 2016
  • Classical Music for Dummies
  • Sewing for Dummies
  • Crocheting For Dummies

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »