Stork Naked (Xanth, #30)

Stork Naked (Xanth #30)

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  1,340 ratings  ·  29 reviews
Surprise Golem has just lost her brand-new baby. The Stork assigned to deliver her eagerly awaited Bundle of Joy has inexplicably refused to surrender it, flying off instead through a hole in the fabric of reality.

Now, to track down her offspring, Surprise must lead an ill-assorted assemblage of confederates on a desperate quest through dozens of different Xanths. But si
Mass Market Paperback, 352 pages
Published October 2nd 2007 by Tor Fantasy (first published October 31st 2006)

Kristeen
Xanth books are sort of like candy corn to me. I recall really liking it, and I do sort of like it, but then it gets to be too much.
Leeanna
Xanth #30: Stork Naked, by Piers Anthony

Surprise Golem gets the shock of her life when her baby is delivered, but the stork flies off with the baby because of a technicality. She immediately decides to see the Good Magician, to find out how to get her baby back. He tries to dissuade her from her quest, but Surprise is a good girl with morals, and already loves her baby, so she sets off on a mission to attempt to rescue the infant.

But what Surprise doesn't know is that she is part of a Demon bet...more
Nathan Johnson
Honestly one of the worst Xanth novels I came across.

My biggest problem with this book is that one of the main conflicts in this book already had a solution before it even became a conflict.
I am referring to the love between Surprise Golem and Che Centaur.
Early in the book the two come across a body of water that is actually filled with love elixir. The decide to wade through, determining that if they DO fall in love, Surprise will just abolish it with her talent.

At first it appears as if the el...more
Cary Spratt
Yet another Xanth novel. I enjoyed this one, for the most part. A good quest with interesting stakes. However, I do have one nitpick: WHY didn't Surprise just use her talent to abate the love-elixir effects?? Every time it was brought up (*again* and *again*) I had to roll my eyes. Before they try to cross the water, she mentions making a spell to nullify the effects once they have crossed. She doesn't, because they thought they weren't affected, but once they realize they actually *were* affect...more
Shawne
Nov 15, 2008 Shawne rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Xanth fans
Shelves: fiction
At this point in Piers Anthony's epic Xanth series, you're either already a fan (and a completist), or you're not. Light, fuss-free reading packed full of puns and occasionally inventive twists, the series is stil far from what it used to be - Stork Naked is proof of that. There are some fun moments as Surprise Golem goes on a doomed quest to find her child, with every character along for the ride getting their turn in the sun (Woe Betide, the child aspect of Demoness Metria, is fun and demonstr...more
Micha Meinderts
Aug 05, 2009 Micha Meinderts rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: no one
Shelves: abandoned
I learned that using (an abundance of) puns in a book is fine, until you make your characters realize they're puns.

I simply cannot finish this book. Every time a pun is used AND EXPLAINED I cringe. It really feels like the author expects his readers to have an IQ of 70 as he explains everything. I feel insulted on every page. An example that was the last straw:

"I met an imp named Otence once," Pyra remarked. "His/her talent was to make males lose that sort of interest. I'm uncertain of the imp's
Zack
Where previous Xanth books were clever, often with interesting solutions to silly problems and just enough clever wordplay to set Xanth apart from other fantasy settings, Stork Naked is simply tedious. The plot feels contrived, and many chapters, even whole subplots, are simply engines to deliver as many puns as possible. The wordplay that was once such a definitive part of the series has been twisted, until you get the impression Anthony had a list of puns he hadn't used yet, and threw together...more
Patricia
Xanth is always really good. But this was not one of the greats. Lots of holes. Surprise can do any talent she can think of once, but often doesn't think of anything. She has a plan to avoid a certain situation they find themselves in, but then never does implement the plan, to their constant inconvenience. Then it just kind of ended, like "okay, I'm bored with writing this book, "They All Live Happily Ever After The End." But a nice way to try to mix SciFi ideas with Fantasy. And a great new tw...more
Mia Darien
There's really no rating a single Xanth book, because while they each are different, they are also the same but right now, I'm loving the sameness because I know what to expect and can be happy and relaxed and just lose myself in this world for a while.

"Stork Naked" is no different. It was fun and naughty and crazy, with some bigger themes wrapped up in the zaniness. It was the perfect I'm-sick-and-can't-leave-the-couch book. I read this one in one day and will be starting the next one this morn...more
Natalie
Back on form with this one, I really enjoyed this tale of poor, sweet Surprise, who just wants to recover her baby, and has no idea of the real story, and the role of the Demons in her mission!
L.
Piers Anthony takes us into another adventure in the punny world of Xanth. As usual, a visit to the Good Magician leads the main characters on the quest for an answer. This time, it is not just Xanth main that Surprise and her fellow travellers visit. This time they must access alternate realities in order to complete their quest. But, as usual there is a bit of a twist. Forces are working against the group, trying to make them fail. Some new characters and new worlds create a different venture...more
Kirsti
Surprise Golem is always a great character to have along on an adventure, but this one is her very own. When her baby gets taken back by a mistaken stork, Che and Surprise along with a select few companions must go in search, across all kinds of different realities. What they learn shocks them into new realizations about their current relationships and may mean Xanth will never be the same again.

You know the rating, five stars!
Theresa
using puns and suggestive wording Anthony brings another story about innocence and its loss on xanth.
the traditional xanth with the adult conspiracy and all... this story explores the great conspiracy and why the world needs it
a great story of personal triumph
Alan
Not to bad, as usual with the Xanth series it is full of puns, and sometimes while reading you have to stop (at least I do anyway) and think to actually get the pun. But all in all a good read if you like Piers Anthony and the Xanth series.
Kaylynn Johnsen
Surprise, surprise, and that has nothing to do with the main character's name. The email I sent in 2001 was made a part in this book, and he named a baby after me to solve a plot line. Wild. My kids think I'm famous.
Jenn
I still love Piers Anthony's Xanth series for its witticisms and humor. However, this particular book got a little slow-paced at times, which made certain chapters tedious. Overall, I enjoyed it.
Erika
It was an okay jaunt through Xanth. The "six realities" thing was a bit awkward, but I liked the Punderground and Always Always moon and the other little adventures. A bit of pun overkill though.
Amelia the Strange
Maybe I will try it again and change my mind. But at the time...I hated it. Terrible, Mr. Anthony. You let me down, hard. But since you have a billion books, I will forgive you.
Aaron
Oct 04, 2007 Aaron rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Xanth fans
I will finish reading this book probably by Oct. 7.
It is a pretty good one. The more books made, the more puns-per-book. but stil fun. and I like the talentssss.

Cathy Holford
A pretty good read, but alternate realities that differ from the way we know Xanth is not as good as an adventure in Xanth itself. Still, full of good, clean puns!
Kyra Dunst
The Xanth series is one of my favorites. The Stork Works is an amazing place, and when Surprise's baby is taken from her, she has to journey there to get the baby back.
Wade
I submitted an idea for a character and Piers used it in this book. He credits all idea submissions. Very cool! What other author would do this?
Andrew Eberle
Solid outing, love the Peeve! The adventure was surprisingly fresh in this one too, gaining steam in his old age?
Tonya
I normally enjoy Piers Anthony's fantasy books, but this one did not draw me in.
Ticklish Owl
What can I say, I have a thing for puns.
Michelle
Fun puns, as always!

Marfita
Miserable book. Lame.
Kya
The best I've read. So funny!
Lbd
Jan 13, 2008 Lbd rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fantasy
Shelves: fantasy
another cute Xanth adventure.
  • Myth-Fortunes (Myth Adventures, #19)
  • Callahan's Legacy (Mary's Place, #2) (Callahan's Series, #7)
  • The Dragon in Lyonesse
  • Tales of Uncle Trapspringer (Dragonlance: Adventures in Krynn)
  • Castle War! (Castle Perilous, #4)
  • Dark Wraith of Shannara (Shannara, #3.25)
  • Lord Toede (Dragonlance: Villains, #5)
  • Emperor of Ansalon (Dragonlance: Villains, #3)
  • And Less Than Kind (Doubled Edge, #4)
  • Heroes and Fools (Dragonlance Tales of the Fifth Age, #2)
  • Doctor Who: Summer Falls and Other Stories
  • The Warlock's Last Ride (Warlock Series, #12)

Piers is a self-proclaimed environm...more
More about Piers Anthony...
On a Pale Horse (Incarnations of Immortality, #1) A Spell for Chameleon (Xanth, #1) Castle Roogna (Xanth, #3) Bearing An Hourglass (Incarnations of Immortality, #2) The Source of Magic (Xanth, #2)