Start by marking “Stork Naked (Xanth #30)” as Want to Read:
Stork Naked (Xanth #30)

Stork Naked (Xanth #30)

3.87  ·  Rating Details ·  1,767 Ratings  ·  38 Reviews
Surprise Golem has just lost her brand-new baby. The Stork assigned to deliver her eagerly awaited Bundle of Joy has inexplicably refused to surrender it, flying off instead through a hole in the fabric of reality.

Now, to track down her offspring, Surprise must lead an ill-assorted assemblage of confederates on a desperate quest through dozens of different Xanths. But sini
Published October 2nd 2007 by Tor Fantasy (first published October 31st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Stork Naked, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stork Naked

Cary Spratt
Feb 24, 2013 Cary Spratt rated it liked it
Shelves: owned
Yet another Xanth novel. I enjoyed this one, for the most part. A good quest with interesting stakes. However, I do have one nitpick: WHY didn't Surprise just use her talent to abate the love-elixir effects?? Every time it was brought up (*again* and *again*) I had to roll my eyes. Before they try to cross the water, she mentions making a spell to nullify the effects once they have crossed. She doesn't, because they thought they weren't affected, but once they realize they actually *were* affect ...more
Shawne
Nov 15, 2008 Shawne rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Xanth fans
Shelves: fiction
At this point in Piers Anthony's epic Xanth series, you're either already a fan (and a completist), or you're not. Light, fuss-free reading packed full of puns and occasionally inventive twists, the series is stil far from what it used to be - Stork Naked is proof of that. There are some fun moments as Surprise Golem goes on a doomed quest to find her child, with every character along for the ride getting their turn in the sun (Woe Betide, the child aspect of Demoness Metria, is fun and demonstr ...more
Nathan Johnson
Jan 31, 2013 Nathan Johnson rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Honestly one of the worst Xanth novels I came across.

My biggest problem with this book is that one of the main conflicts in this book already had a solution before it even became a conflict.
I am referring to the love between Surprise Golem and Che Centaur.
Early in the book the two come across a body of water that is actually filled with love elixir. They decide to wade through, determining that if they DO fall in love, Surprise will just abolish it with her talent.

At first it appears as if the e
Kristeen
May 05, 2009 Kristeen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Xanth books are sort of like candy corn to me. I recall really liking it, and I do sort of like it, but then it gets to be too much.
Don LaFountaine
Jan 19, 2017 Don LaFountaine rated it liked it
This was the 30th installment in the Xanth Series. It focuses mainly on Surprise, Che Centaur, and the Pet Peeve.

The book starts off with Surprise awaiting a delivery. She and her husband Umlaut signaled the stork and she was waiting for her baby. However, when the stork arrived, he would not deliver her baby because they had her as 13 years old in their records. Surprise forgot to correct her delivery date so Stork Works had her being too young. On top of that, the stork that was delivering the
Leeanna
Dec 29, 2009 Leeanna rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Xanth #30: Stork Naked, by Piers Anthony

Surprise Golem gets the shock of her life when her baby is delivered, but the stork flies off with the baby because of a technicality. She immediately decides to see the Good Magician, to find out how to get her baby back. He tries to dissuade her from her quest, but Surprise is a good girl with morals, and already loves her baby, so she sets off on a mission to attempt to rescue the infant.

But what Surprise doesn't know is that she is part of a Demon bet
Micha Meinderts
Mar 30, 2009 Micha Meinderts rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: no one
Shelves: abandoned
I learned that using (an abundance of) puns in a book is fine, until you make your characters realize they're puns.

I simply cannot finish this book. Every time a pun is used AND EXPLAINED I cringe. It really feels like the author expects his readers to have an IQ of 70 as he explains everything. I feel insulted on every page. An example that was the last straw:

"I met an imp named Otence once," Pyra remarked. "His/her talent was to make males lose that sort of interest. I'm uncertain of the imp's
Barbi Faye (The Book Fae)
Jan 26, 2013 Barbi Faye (The Book Fae) rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fantasy
Recommended to Barbi Faye (The Book Fae) by: genre
So, in Piers Anthony's magical land of Xanth, wee babes of all kinds are delivered by the storks...! And as we have all seen in Tom & Jerry cartoons, just how horribly awry that can go...!
In this instance, said stork has sailed off course and has been sucked into a hole, in the fabric of reality. What is Surprise Golem, the expectant mother who has just lost her new baby, going to do? No surprise here; off adventuring to search for the wee bundle.
Set on a certain quest to track down and retr
Zack
Jul 14, 2013 Zack rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Where previous Xanth books were clever, often with interesting solutions to silly problems and just enough clever wordplay to set Xanth apart from other fantasy settings, Stork Naked is simply tedious. The plot feels contrived, and many chapters, even whole subplots, are simply engines to deliver as many puns as possible. The wordplay that was once such a definitive part of the series has been twisted, until you get the impression Anthony had a list of puns he hadn't used yet, and threw together ...more
Patricia
Sep 08, 2013 Patricia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Xanth is always really good. But this was not one of the greats. Lots of holes. Surprise can do any talent she can think of once, but often doesn't think of anything. She has a plan to avoid a certain situation they find themselves in, but then never does implement the plan, to their constant inconvenience. Then it just kind of ended, like "okay, I'm bored with writing this book, "They All Live Happily Ever After The End." But a nice way to try to mix SciFi ideas with Fantasy. And a great new tw ...more
Mia Darien
Feb 13, 2012 Mia Darien rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There's really no rating a single Xanth book, because while they each are different, they are also the same but right now, I'm loving the sameness because I know what to expect and can be happy and relaxed and just lose myself in this world for a while.

"Stork Naked" is no different. It was fun and naughty and crazy, with some bigger themes wrapped up in the zaniness. It was the perfect I'm-sick-and-can't-leave-the-couch book. I read this one in one day and will be starting the next one this morn
Theresa
Feb 25, 2015 Theresa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The book centers on Surprise Golem. She is refused her baby from the stork because of the Storkworks first mishap in delivering her. They have her listed as five years younger than she is. Of course, the big D demons are behind this in some devious way. I'm not going to spoil it for anyone who hasn't read by giving away anymore than I have. I love all of the Xanth series. Even with seeing some contempt for these books by critics. If there are people who haven't read these books, I think you shou ...more
L.
Oct 20, 2013 L. rated it really liked it
Piers Anthony takes us into another adventure in the punny world of Xanth. As usual, a visit to the Good Magician leads the main characters on the quest for an answer. This time, it is not just Xanth main that Surprise and her fellow travellers visit. This time they must access alternate realities in order to complete their quest. But, as usual there is a bit of a twist. Forces are working against the group, trying to make them fail. Some new characters and new worlds create a different venture ...more
Kirsti
Jun 06, 2012 Kirsti rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Surprise Golem is always a great character to have along on an adventure, but this one is her very own. When her baby gets taken back by a mistaken stork, Che and Surprise along with a select few companions must go in search, across all kinds of different realities. What they learn shocks them into new realizations about their current relationships and may mean Xanth will never be the same again.

You know the rating, five stars!
Kaylynn Johnsen
Surprise, surprise, and that has nothing to do with the main character's name. The email I sent in 2001 was made a part in this book, and he named a baby after me to solve a plot line. Wild. My kids think I'm famous.
Theresa
Jul 24, 2011 Theresa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: review
using puns and suggestive wording Anthony brings another story about innocence and its loss on xanth.
the traditional xanth with the adult conspiracy and all... this story explores the great conspiracy and why the world needs it
a great story of personal triumph
Alan
Oct 13, 2010 Alan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not to bad, as usual with the Xanth series it is full of puns, and sometimes while reading you have to stop (at least I do anyway) and think to actually get the pun. But all in all a good read if you like Piers Anthony and the Xanth series.
Wade
May 12, 2012 Wade rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I submitted an idea for a character and Piers used it in this book. He credits all idea submissions. Very cool! What other author would do this?
Kyra Dunst
Aug 16, 2013 Kyra Dunst rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Xanth series is one of my favorites. The Stork Works is an amazing place, and when Surprise's baby is taken from her, she has to journey there to get the baby back.
Erika
It was an okay jaunt through Xanth. The "six realities" thing was a bit awkward, but I liked the Punderground and Always Always moon and the other little adventures. A bit of pun overkill though.
Cathy Holford
A pretty good read, but alternate realities that differ from the way we know Xanth is not as good as an adventure in Xanth itself. Still, full of good, clean puns!
Michelle
Jun 16, 2009 Michelle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fun puns, as always!

Natalie
May 28, 2014 Natalie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Back on form with this one, I really enjoyed this tale of poor, sweet Surprise, who just wants to recover her baby, and has no idea of the real story, and the role of the Demons in her mission!
Ticklish Owl
What can I say, I have a thing for puns.
Amelia the Strange
Maybe I will try it again and change my mind. But at the time...I hated it. Terrible, Mr. Anthony. You let me down, hard. But since you have a billion books, I will forgive you.
Andrew Eberle
Solid outing, love the Peeve! The adventure was surprisingly fresh in this one too, gaining steam in his old age?
George Deoso
Funny, interesting, sometimes sexy, and, as with any Piers Anthony book I've read, bland in writing.
Debra Meyer
Jul 31, 2014 Debra Meyer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
it was different but it was a good read not so much groaning but perhaps I'm getting used to it or something
Aaron
Oct 04, 2007 Aaron rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Xanth fans
I will finish reading this book probably by Oct. 7.
It is a pretty good one. The more books made, the more puns-per-book. but stil fun. and I like the talentssss.

Lin Clark
Sep 19, 2016 Lin Clark rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Interesting Book. Drug on a bit but had a happy ending or did it
  • Return to Centaur (Xanth Graphic Novel, Vol 1)
  • Encyclopedia of Xanth (A Crossroads Adventure in the World of Piers Anthony's Xanth)
  • Myth-Chief (Myth Adventures, #18)
  • Emperor of Ansalon (Dragonlance: Villains, #3)
  • Vampires Don't Sparkle!
  • Rx for Chaos
  • Hung Out
  • Tales of Uncle Trapspringer (Dragonlance: Adventures in Krynn)
  • Mastered 2: Ten Tales of Sensual Surrender
  • The Changes: A Trilogy
  • The Warmasters
  • The Dragon and The Djinn (Dragon Knight, #6)
  • Hammer and Axe (Dragonlance: Dwarven Nations, #2)
  • Witches' Brew (Magic Kingdom of Landover, #5)
  • Celebromancy (Ree Reyes, #2)
  • Mastering the Mistress (Brides of the Kindred, #14.5)

Piers is a self-proclaimed environm
More about Piers Anthony...

Xanth (1 - 10 of 41 books)
  • A Spell for Chameleon (Xanth #1)
  • The Source of Magic (Xanth, #2)
  • Castle Roogna (Xanth, #3)
  • Centaur Aisle (Xanth, #4)
  • Ogre, Ogre (Xanth #5)
  • Night Mare (Xanth, #6)
  • Dragon on a Pedestal (Xanth, #7)
  • Crewel Lye (Xanth #8)
  • Golem in the Gears (Xanth, #9)
  • Vale of the Vole (Xanth #10)