Start by marking “Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (Harry Potter #3)” as Want to Read:
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (Harry Potter #3)

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (Harry Potter #3)

4.48 of 5 stars 4.48  ·  rating details  ·  1,432,414 ratings  ·  22,246 reviews
For twelve long years, the dread fortress of Azkaban held an infamous prisoner named Sirius Black. Convicted of killing thirteen people with a single curse, he was said to be the heir apparent to the Dark Lord, Voldemort.

Now he has escaped, leaving only two clues as to where he might be headed: Harry Potter's defeat of You-Know-Who was Black's downfall as well; and the Az
Published September 8th 1999 by Arthur A. Levine Books (first published July 8th 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, please sign up.

Cmarks14
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
De Wet Time travelling is always tricky to handle. For me it was perhaps the weakest spot in the book, but in an otherwise cracking read like this I'm happy…moreTime travelling is always tricky to handle. For me it was perhaps the weakest spot in the book, but in an otherwise cracking read like this I'm happy to just let things go without over analyzing them. Not much point spoiling my enjoyment of a book by trying to do science and logic on fictional magic.(less)
Vampire Academy by Richelle MeadHex Hall by Rachel HawkinsHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingFrostbite by Richelle MeadShadow Kiss by Richelle Mead
Private School Paranormals
15th out of 112 books — 286 voters
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by J.K. Rowling
best fantasy books in the last 15 years
2nd out of 166 books — 55 voters

More lists with this book...

Chris
Since pretty much everyone I know has read these books, I figure reviewing them is pretty pointless. But with the new book coming out in a couple of weeks, I have to go through them beginning to end. To make the reviews more entertaining, I will be doing them in a variety of unexpected formats. For this review, I will be writing as Crookshanks fan fiction.

Crookshanks swished his tail back and forth as he crept up the stairs to the boys' bedrooms. He knew the rat wasn't what it was pretending to
Wil Wheaton
I'm beginning to wonder if there will ever be a Defence Against The Dark Arts teacher who is just a teacher.
Saniya
Of-course, this book was EPIC! =D
Its Harry Potter now. It has to be epic! *Rolling eyes but smiling widely* xD

Raeleen Lemay
Re-Read in December 2014 for Harry Christmas to You

OH MAN. THIS BOOK IS SO MY FAVORITE.

The phone conversation at the beginning between Ron and Uncle Vernon was PRICELESS. I wish so much that that scene had been in the movie.

I was so into reading this book that I failed to take notes, so I don't have many specifics to add except that I love how Crookshanks was basically Sirius's secret agent spy cat friend and I LOVE THAT.

Also, this book demonstrated some very REAL aspects of school. For example,
Brad
I know that many of you out there haven't gotten around to reading Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban. Much like Umberto Eco's Foucault's Pendulum, Germaine Greer's The Female Eunuch and Lucifer's worldwide bestseller The Holy Bible, you own a copy, it gathers dust, but its never been read. You've been thinking about it, though. You see it there on the shelf and you wonder, "Is this book for me?"

The following checklist will tell you all you need to know about Harry Potter and the Prisoner
pinkgal
It was September 1998; the third Harry Potter book had just been released. Pottermania? What's that? It was still unknown except to a vast population of younglings who'd read it... and I fell in love. Oh, how I fell in love. I fell in love with the poor, starved-for-affection, later known to be a twit Harry. I fell in love with the pretentious know-it-all Hermione. I fell in love with the awkward, grew-up-in-his-brother's-shadows Ron... and most of all? I fell in love with the snarky, unplatable ...more
9 3/4
Harry Potter changed my life. If I hadn’t read Harry Potter when I did I would not be the same person today. What I am today, in a part is due to Harry. I cannot really say enough to make you understand how much Harry Potter means to me.
Navessa

Still five stars. Love this so much. Can't review. Couldn't even take notes. Watched the movie immediately after finishing. Need next book. Wish I lived in this world. Damn you, Rowling.

(view spoiler)
Juliana Zapata
Este es hasta ahora mí favorito de la saga, pase por todos los sentimientos posibles, la final de quidditch lo máximo, Harry me mató de amor, Ron me hizo reír en cada diálogo y Hermione mi favorita de todos los tiempos.

Como siempre, termino de leer estos libros con el corazón lleno de amor y de magia

Reseña Completa: http://bastvilard.blogspot.com/2015/0...
Etnik
description

I don't understand why they use time travel in this one,and not in the other books.That would have made things a lot easier.

Mohammed Arabey
عندما قرأت هذا الجزء...كنت متخوفا من ان اجد احداث مشابهه للجزئين السابقين..ولكني كنت مخطئا

كلب اسود غريب يظهر لهاري وحده يسبب له الفزع, انه نذير الشؤم

يبدأ هاري عامه الدراسي باغرب الاحداث..منها مقابله مع وزير السحر الذي يقدم استثناء خاص لهاري غير متوقع
description

مجرم وقاتل هارب من ازبكان..له ماض سئ مع عائله هاري بوتر..ينجح في التسلل للمدرسه مما يسبب فزعا كبيرا

لم يستطع احد الامساك به بالرغم من حراسة المدرسه بحراس افظع من المجرمين نفسهم..يبثون الرعب في التلاميذ..بالاخص هاري

مدرس الدفاع ضد السحر الاسود بالرغم م
Maxwell
Reread November 2014

The third film is my favorite of the series because it's a bit darker than the previous too, and the story gets creepier and moodier with the unfolding of Sirius Black's tale. However, I don't think the third book is my favorite to read. I do love the whole Time-Turner/Inception situation that goes on near the end. And the introduction of Lupin and Black are such great additions to the series (and Buckbeak, but what ever happens to him?).

I'm really enjoying these rereads, an
Laz
Jan 21, 2015 Laz rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: magic world lovers
“I solemnly swear that I am up to no good.”

Wasn't this epic. Didn't this stun you into silence after reading it.

These are rhetorical. So, don't bother answering because I already know what you'll say. You'll agree with me that this is by far the best Harry Potter novel, and I'll add that I just couldn't put it down, nor did I want to.

This was great, this was stunning, this was grand. I loved it so much. This was a tad bit scary too, considering the previous two novels. I think Harry is growing
Micheline (Lunar Rainbows Reviews)
Harry Potter & the Prisoner of Azkaban has always been, in my opinion, one of the best books of the series. Even as far as the movies go, I feel that POA is by far the best book to film adaptation out of all 8 movies. Yes Harry Potter and Ron and Hermione are still fairly young in the third book, but I find they have matured quite a bit this time around. They're officially in their teens, and they've already had their fair share of adventures. This time around however, Harry has more to worr ...more
Kate ❣
Actual Rating: 4.5 stars
This book was a lot better than the movie!
Really enjoyed it, and can't wait to finally be able to read Goblet of Fire, its gonna be goooood!!!
There's nothing really more to say because, well, its Harry Potter, and everything's been said 5 billion times over, haha
kristin
Now that I have three of these under my belt, it's time to take a break.

It's not that there's anything wrong with them. On the contrary, they're holding my interest too well.

See, I've got this homework stuff that I'm supposed to be doing instead of reading. But school is so boring all of a sudden, and home life is a bit strained, too, and it's so nice to escape. . .

No, I'm not a tween. I'm nearly thirty years old. But the same general issues still apply to me. This series has come to me at the
Liz*

Trust me when I tell you I'm in love with this series. I just can't believe it's been years since I read this and still feels the same. Just like the first time, it was all there. Excitement, surprise, sadness and Sirius. One of my favorite characters of the series.

JK Rowling is a genius. Plot twist and another twist at the end, just in case you were asking for more.

Steve
Now this is where Rowling strikes gold! I thought AZKABAN was not only easily the best of first three, but one of the best books I've read in a long time. The storyline is easily the strongest of the first three installments, and for once Voldemort is not the main villain driving the plot, but a renegade supporter who murdered 13 people with a single curse.

What makes Azkaban so interesting is learning about the relationships between James Potter, Remus Lupin, Sirius Black, Peter Pettigrew, and S
Greg
My Harry Potter Apology

A couple of summers ago I tried to read Harry Potter. I expected to be unimpressed, and I was was. The first two novels in the series are unspectacular. After reading more children's literature recently I've realized that they are fairly standard fair for the kiddie fantasy genre, but that still left me wondering why everyone cared so much about this little nerdling. If I hadn't engrossed myself in books for kids this summer I probably wouldn't have ever gotten decided to
Franco  Santos
Imposible no ponerle cinco estrellas a esta genialidad.

PD: Leer a los dementores me dio escalofríos. Qué horror.
Shelby *wants some flying monkeys*
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

I loved the first 2 books in this series but this one just swept me completely away! I love the storyline that Ms. Rowling has gifted us with. I watched the movies of some of the books years ago and I liked them but these books!

I want to run outside and scream READ THESE BOOKS! But then I think I'm one of the last people in the universe that hasn't. So I'll be sorta quiet.
P.S. Read these books!

Sue (YAHollywood)
I cried tears. THEORY DISPROVEN: I'm not heartless.

Like I always say I gravitate towards books that highlight familial aspect and lonely characters.

What always struck me about Harry Potter is that he grew up in a toxic and abusive environment. He was an orphan. And he had no one. but then he met Ron, Hermione and the Weasleys, who showed him that blood ties isn't the only means of family. Love, bond and loyalty do. And that's the most beautiful thing about this whole series.
Jason Koivu
Shit got real!

For me, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban was when the series got interesting. It certainly got darker and more mature. Torture, loss, a foreboding sense of dread and death itself descended upon this happy little world of magic where school exams and difficult professors were the worst things to worry about. It also introduced a reason for Harry to want to live: his godfather, a connection to his parents. Up until then there was little joy in Harry's life. Sure there was the
Maureen
Reread in December 2014 for #HarryXmasToYou

Such a great book! I love how much these characters develop as the books go on, and Remus and Sirius are some of my favorite characters. I feel like this is one I confuse with the movie a lot because I LOVE the PoA movie, so it was interesting to see some of the changes! Though it's a pretty faithful adaptation. Overall, just so great. I LOVE HARRY POTTER OMG.

also ROWLING WHEN ARE WE GONNA GET SOME MAURADER SHORT STORIES EH???
Rabindranauth
Harry just can't seem to catch a break, can he? Even when he's not wrapped in some scheme involving Voldemort, he ends up going through his most intense emotional trial to date.

Harry's off to start his third year of Hogwarts, after blowing up his aunt, going on the lam and finding out Sirius Black, a convicted mass murderer and major supporter of Voldemort, is after him. Fearing for his safety, the Ministry of Magic stations the Dementors of Azkaban, soul sucking monstrosities with a curiously e
Henry
Since everyone is probably already familiar with the Harry Potter series and with this book in particular, I'm not going to write any sort of summary. I am just going to say that of the three I have read so far, this is by far the best.
I felt that this book had the best and well thought out story line of the series so far. But keep in mind, I have only gotten through book three. Rowling also left no stones unturned by revealing the secrets behind all of the wizardry items and people introduced
Sanaa
[5 Stars] Re-Read December 2014
I'm a little late with updating my Goodreads for this one, but I reread this for #HarryXmasToYou and I loved it! This one is neck in neck with the 4th for my favorite of the entire series!
Wart *Rainbows, beauty, and death* Hill
I was going to try to write a review and articulate why this is my favorite of the Harry Potter series, but I don't think I can...
Slytherin: Who is your favorite character in Harry Potter and why? 1 1 10 hours, 28 min ago
Mistakes made by J.K. Rowling 283 1826 May 19, 2015 01:51AM
Malfoy 4 46 May 19, 2015 01:47AM
2015 Reading Chal...: Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by J.K. Rowling 5 7 May 18, 2015 10:28AM
This Book or That Book (Same Rules as this name or that name) 34 69 May 08, 2015 10:11AM
Harry Potter 7Boo...: Question #1 5 8 May 03, 2015 09:52PM
Harry Potter 7Boo...: Question #4 4 6 May 03, 2015 09:50PM
  • Page (Protector of the Small, #2)
  • The Children of Noisy Village
  • Soul Eater (Chronicles of Ancient Darkness, #3)
  • The Subtle Knife (His Dark Materials, #2)
  • The Shamer's Signet (The Shamer Chronicles, #2)
  • The Chronicles of Chrestomanci, Vol. 3 (Chrestomanci #5-6)
  • Inside the Illusion (Everworld, #9)
  • The Lost Colony (Artemis Fowl, #5)
  • Rebel Angels (Gemma Doyle, #2)
  • Charlie Bone and the Hidden King (The Children of the Red King, #5)
  • Dragon's Breath (Tales of the Frog Princess, #2)
  • Eldest (The Inheritance Cycle, #2)
  • The Dark is Rising Sequence (The Dark is Rising, #1-5)
  • The Bellmaker (Redwall, #7)
  • Moominsummer Madness (The Moomins, #5)
  • Wintersmith (Discworld, #35; Tiffany Aching, #3)