Start by marking “Southern Fatality (A Jersey Barnes Mystery #1)” as Want to Read:
Southern Fatality (A Jersey Barnes Mystery #1)

Southern Fatality (Jersey Barnes Mystery #1)

Immerse yourself in the magical port city atmosphere of Wilmington, North Carolina and visit The Block-- a historic building situated on the Cape Fear River that serves as a grill and pub downstairs and cozy living quarters upstairs. But don't get too comfortable, because when the sexy and hard-hitting security specialist Jersey Barnes stumbles into a scheme that will stea ...more
Published July 29th 2008 by Minotaur Books (first published September 18th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Southern Fatality, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Southern Fatality

Karen
Mar 25, 2008 Karen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Don't believe the people who say it is Stephanie Plum but in the south. Jersey has the ability to actually do the work, not bumble around like Stephanie. She is very competent in spying, fighting, tailing, all those good PI skills. She seems to be less honest with herself about her personal life than Stephanie. There are still moments of humor. People who have been to Wilmington and/or live there will no doubt get a kick out of reading about places they know. I agree with the review that said we ...more
Amy
A fun read! Set in the historic district of Wilmington, NC, author, Ocean has been called the Janet Evanovich of the South. I love her main character, Jersey Barnes, a retired government "something" (not exactly an agent, but real close). She's come home after "retiring" from the biz, but gets tied up in an investigation for an old girlfriend of her current boyfriend.

With assistance from her best friend, Ox; her father, Spud; town detective, Dirk and her father's poker buddies, their investigat
Kelly
Jan 23, 2008 Kelly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jersey Barnes is a government "spy" and the book starts on the day of her retirement. Things don't go exactly as planned, and she is persuaded to take a job for a friend of her boyfriend to find out if her husband is cheating. One thing leads to another, and before Jersey knows it she is in the middle of a kidnapping. I was quite surprised by the ending. I can't wait to read more about Jersey and her adventures in retirement.
A.
Feb 12, 2008 A. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of Janet Evanovich or Laura Lippman
Super enjoyable -- good plot, interesting ensemble cast around the protagonist, and while I could have done without the repeated descriptions of Jersey's boobs, I really enjoyed it a lot. Think Janet Evanovich set in the South.

I'm bummed the CHPL doesn't have Ocean's other novels; I may finally have to shell out for an out-of-county borrower's card at the Durham Public Library.
Heidi
Feb 18, 2009 Heidi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. The heroine is spunky and full of it with a government paid for boob job and a kick ass attitude. We allknow how i love that. Mystery, a goofy father, and a coupla hot doods complete the story line... fun and I'm sure to read more of her books in the future
Courtney
Nov 20, 2008 Courtney rated it really liked it
A little more fun than Sue Grafton but not as crazy as Janet Evanovich. I thought it was a fun read and am eager to read her next adventure with Jersey Barnes.
Julie McGinty
Feb 28, 2010 Julie McGinty rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Anyone who likes the Janet Evanovich series will enjoy these - very fun!
Jeannie Whitehurst
Fun Read

Liked the way the story line kept you wondering who was really involved. As the plot became clearer, the action became more exciting. The finish was unexpected.
Nicole
4.5 Stars

Jersey Barnes is a strong and independent woman. She is ready to begin an early and relaxing retirement, after working several years as a private security specialist. Unfortunately, her dream is postponed when her boyfriend, Bill, asks her to help his friend. Jersey takes on this supposedly simple task of surveillance for a few days, yet she is quickly thrust back into a world of kidnapping and an internet virus capable of stealing hundreds of millions dollars. Thankfully she has some r
Amanda Atkins
Dec 18, 2012 Amanda Atkins rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shirley Worley
Jun 29, 2013 Shirley Worley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jersey Barnes thinks she has retired from a career as a security specialist only to find herself knee-deep doing surveillance on a possible cheating spouse as a favor for her boyfriend's college friend. That job quickly blossoms into a full out kidnapping and cyber-hacking crime, dubbed Social Insecurity, that would steal millions from hard-working Americans nationwide. The plot includes a variety of characters: Ox, her best friend and business partner; Spud, her aging ex-cop dad; Cracker, her f ...more
Kelly
May 14, 2016 Kelly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Southern Fatality is a fast paced book that will hook you from the first page. Jersey Barnes, a newly retired private security specialist, is looking forward to spending some time relaxing on her boat with her boyfriend to start her retirement off right. Things do go exactly as planned when her boyfriend "convinces" her to look into a problem for a friend of his. What should be a fairly easy favor gets Jersey caught up in the middle of a kidnapping, and some other hair raising situations. The en ...more
Melissa Myers
Jan 26, 2016 Melissa Myers rated it did not like it
Shelves: mystery
My problem with this book was she wrote it like a TV show script and it was so obvious from the time the mystery was introduced. The beginning was so promising but then she bungled it. I had no choice but to skip to the last chapter the writing made my eyes roll so much I could've had a seizure and guess what? I was right about everything including the very obvious romance angle. If the writing was better I might've been able to stick with it but oh my goodness it was awful!
Kathryn
Jul 26, 2008 Kathryn rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A review for this book said it was the South's answer to Evanovich's Plum series. Not by a long shot. The main character, Jersey Barnes, is a retired marine who is always armed and knows how to kick butt. She solves her cases through intelligence and insight, not dumb luck. Mind you, I am a big fan of the Stephanie Plum books and am always looking for similar reads.
Sandy Brown
Oct 19, 2016 Sandy Brown rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I did not care for this book. It was not one I want to read more of the same thing.

Wasn't able to get my attention. No really Interesting subjects in the stories told. I liked other books by the a author but not the mysteries.
Megan Peterson
Nov 05, 2013 Megan Peterson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
Jersey Barnes reminded me of Stephanie Plum but this chick actually knew what she was doing. I love any books about bad ass women and this one didn't disappoint. I did not expect some of the plot twists and Spud was amazing. Definitely worth five stars.
Julia
Nov 18, 2007 Julia rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I couldn't really get into this mystery, which is touted as being a Southern Janet Evanovich. The parallels to the world of Plum were actually kind of distracting from the story itself.
Trina
Jul 19, 2009 Trina rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was the first book by this author that I had read. I found T. Lynn Ocean to be a good writer who is entertaining. I will definitely read more books by her.
Susan R-G
Jan 01, 2016 Susan R-G rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book-love Jersey Barnes

Spent my the new year reading. This is exactly third jersey barns book I have read, can't wait to get to the next one.
Patty
Mar 19, 2010 Patty rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I could not get into this one though the female ex-special agent character should have been appealing.
Ann
The first of the Jersey Barnes series. This is a wild ride and makes you look forward to future titles.
Michelle Pereira
Michelle Pereira rated it really liked it
Jan 24, 2012
Kathy
Kathy rated it did not like it
Oct 07, 2013
Stephanie Uhlmann
Stephanie Uhlmann rated it it was amazing
Aug 11, 2015
Kellie
Kellie rated it really liked it
Oct 22, 2008
Patricia K. Fleming
Patricia K. Fleming rated it it was amazing
Oct 31, 2016
Pam
Pam rated it really liked it
Aug 21, 2016
Lorena
Lorena rated it it was ok
Aug 19, 2013
Renee Clay-Handley
Renee Clay-Handley rated it liked it
Aug 19, 2013
Emily Holley
Emily Holley rated it liked it
Jul 14, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Folly
  • Resurrection Road (Bay Tanner, #5)
  • If I Ever Get Back to Georgia, I'm Gonna Nail My Feet to the Ground
  • Southern Living
  • Killer Fudge (A Callahan Garrity Short Story)
  • Whispers of Goodbye
  • Scoop
  • Llama Llama Jingle Bells
  • Paula Deen Celebrates!: Best Dishes and Best Wishes for the Best Times of Your Life
  • Waterline
  • Off the Eaten Path: Favorite Southern Dives and 150 Recipes that Made Them Famous (Southern Living)
  • The Book of Marie
  • Summer in Mossy Creek (Mossy Creek, #3)
  • Mortal Sins (Daman Rourke #1)
  • Bride for a Night
  • Auntie Claus and the Key to Christmas
T. Lynn Ocean was first published in the 'North Myrtle Beach Times' (a small town weekly) but only after getting on one knee to beg the editor and offering to write for free. That was in 1995 and T. Lynn wrote the 'Humor Me' column for a year.

She went on to write freelance for various magazines and newspapers but her passion has always been fiction. Her first book, 'Fool Me Once', was published b
More about T. Lynn Ocean...

Jersey Barnes Mystery (3 books)
  • Southern Poison (A Jersey Barnes Mystery #2)
  • Southern Peril (A Jersey Barnes Mystery #3)