Start by marking “Acorna's People (Acorna #3)” as Want to Read:

3.66  ·  Rating Details  ·  3,933 Ratings  ·  35 Reviews
Filled with adventure and wonder, Acorna's Peoplecontinues the enthralling saga of Acorna, the beautiful, brave, and kindhearted creature known as the Unicorn Girl.

"Welcome Home, Linyaari Child!"

With the help of her "uncles" and the thousands of humans who love and admire her, Acorna has found her true people, the peaceful, telepathic Linyaari. But Acorna still has much to
Published July 3rd 2000 by HarperTorch (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Acorna's People, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Acorna's People

The Lightning Thief by Rick RiordanThe Last Olympian by Rick RiordanThe Sea of Monsters by Rick RiordanThe Battle of the Labyrinth by Rick RiordanThe Titan's Curse by Rick Riordan
Best Books About Mythology
213th out of 706 books — 1,539 voters
The White Dragon by Anne McCaffreyDragonsong by Anne McCaffreyDragonsinger by Anne McCaffreyDragonflight by Anne McCaffreyDragonquest by Anne McCaffrey
Best Anne McCaffrey books
69th out of 77 books — 29 voters

More lists with this book...

Kay Iscah
Feb 03, 2014 Kay Iscah rated it did not like it
Can anyone convince me to continue with this series? I'm ready to give up on it.

I can understand when you bring a new author into a multi-novel franchise, it can be difficult to keep all the details of the world straight. But there were only two previous Acorna novels, only two, and really no excuse for all the factual inconsistencies.

It was weirder because it seemed like 10-20% of this book was recap, trying to summarize material from the previous book, often where it was least needed.

The truly
Claire Smith
May 21, 2014 Claire Smith rated it liked it
Oh my god, talk about everything going wrong! I wasn't expecting to be kept on the edge of my seat by one of these novels (they're good but not brilliant), but I was really starting to worry about the ending. Things got very bleak, but realistically so, given the kind of world and people McCaffrey has created here, and the story was stronger than the previous novel.

My kindle copy is very rough in places, which made the scene changes more than a little abrupt, but that didn't detract from the co
Bellezza
Acorna has found her people and is back with them, but its not what she expected. Even though she is no longer an outsider due to her horn and differently shaped hands and feet, due to growing up with humans, she doesn 19t fit in and even offends some. Her attempts to make amends fall flat since some even mistrust her. Then a crisis occurs and Acorna 19s offers to help are rebuffed.

Jerry
Dec 08, 2014 Jerry rated it liked it
Yet another great installment in the series. Some great new characters, especially RK the cat, are introduced.
Gerold Whittaker
Dec 28, 2011 Gerold Whittaker rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Book #3 in the Acorna Series. In this book, Acorna is with her people at last, though extremely unhappy. Being disregarded or ignored by most of her people, she longs - and is denied the opportunity - to assist in the search for the legendary resting place of the lost Linyaari ancestors. The ships sent out on this search mysteriously disappear and when a rogue spacetrader turns up on their world, Acorna takes the opportunity to go with him when he leaves....

The Linyaari are supposedly a non-viol
Apr 10, 2013 Laura rated it really liked it
In this instalment of the Acorna series, Acorna attempts to adjust to the xenophobic society of the Linyaari. Somewhere else in the universe, a spacetrader named Becker inadvertantly reveals the location of a sacred Linyaari burial ground to a woman bent on getting revenge on Acorna. Ultimately, they must stop a man who seeks to exploit the healing powers of the Linyaari for financial and political gain.

This book, although fast-paced and a delight to read, did not hold together the same way as t
Susan
Apr 16, 2013 Susan rated it liked it
Acorna’s People is number 3 in a series featuring the Unicorn Girl, a humanoid alien with a magical horn on her forehead. For this episode, the great science fiction writer Anne McCaffrey has collaborated with Elizabeth Ann Scarborough to create another fine read. Orphaned Acorna has recently met others of her people, the Linyaari, and has just arrived on the planet they now call home, their original one having been destroyed by a murderous insect race. Having been brought up by humans, she is s ...more
Tatiana
Jun 02, 2016 Tatiana rated it it was ok
Yet another adventure of an increasing band of misfits, justicars, mythical creatures and anyone else in between.
This series is the first that I've read of Anne McCaffrey and it is far from impressive, as a matter of fact it is more fairytale material than anything else. Not a bad reading in itself, however definitely not something you would ponder or think of in a several weeks.

Maybe it's just me, but I feel a book is truly worth my time when I start questioning things in reality based on obse
Lady♥Belleza★✰
Acorna has found her people and is back with them, but its not what she expected. Even though she is no longer an outsider due to her horn and differently shaped hands and feet, due to growing up with humans, she doesn’t fit in and even offends some. Her attempts to make amends fall flat since some even mistrust her. Then a crisis occurs and Acorna’s offers to help are rebuffed.

Once again Acorna and her friend save the world. It might seem that these would get repetitive with the expected crisis
Deb Wilson
19 days later and I finally finish this. I'm honestly having a hard time understanding all the hype about the author's work. I have so far enjoyed the Acorna stories much more than the few Pern books I've read but as you can see, I'm never in any rush to see what happens next. Acorna's sorry continues in this third installment but while I don't regret reading it, I just can't say it was great.
Aurora
Mar 12, 2014 Aurora rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good

A good continuation of a well thought out series. I thoroughly enjoyed the story and can't wait to the next one.
John
Mar 01, 2015 John rated it really liked it
Shelves: scifi-fantasy
2001 grade B-

Audiobook

Series book A3

Rebecca
Jul 29, 2014 Rebecca rated it it was amazing
Exciting book. Full of action and adventure. Recommended to Acorna fans.
♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
Finally we get to meet the Linyaari. I've wondered about these people. It's not the reunion I had hoped. Acorna is not integrating as we hoped. She's been raised outside of this race so obviously she doesn't know the customs. All is not what it seems either. I think this story is over only to find out that there are ancestors who are suspiciously like unicorns of the Earth world myths. Hmm...where is Ms. McCaffrey going with this?
Kerri
Dec 20, 2008 Kerri rated it liked it
Like all the rest of the Acorna books, this one can best be described as diverting fun with more race and character development. We meet Jonas Becker and Aari, who will become central figures in the remainder of the series, and learn more about the world, history and culture of Acorna's people, the Linyaari. Don't read it as a stand-alone, but if you're continuing on with the series this is a must-read.
Marnie
Apr 14, 2012 Marnie rated it did not like it
It got to be jarringly obvious that two different authors were contributing different sections to this story. The main character, Acorna, was either intuitive and intelligent, or flighty and simple-minded. The unexpected changes in personality were confusing and drew my attention to the writing, pulling me out of the story. I stopped reading this series a little ways into this book.
Amy
Nov 22, 2011 Amy rated it really liked it
I took some time to really get into this book, and i'm sure that it didn't help that I was constantly busy with school. However, one night when I had a bit of free time to myself, I had a chance to really soak in the characters and the situations detailed in the story. I found it fascinating and I very much enjoyed the book once I had time to really read it.
K.l.
Mar 14, 2012 K.l. rated it it was ok
Can't say I'm a great fan of the Acorna books, and in this one, where she finally gets to live with her people, well, I found myself a touch disappointed, she doesn't seem to have grown much as a character over the last few books and I found the writing style a little more disjointed than what I've come to expect from McCaffrey
Justin
Sep 19, 2008 Justin rated it it was ok
Didn't finish this one. McCaffrey's style of stunted sentences and plot that just doesn't move couldn't hold me for a second book. Although I was able to somewhat get into the last one, this time I just felt "I don't care about these characters or what's happening."
Jackie Krasuski
Jul 24, 2011 Jackie Krasuski rated it it was amazing
The heroic story of Acorna touched my heart. Her saga is a fantastic sci-fi journey in another galaxy, but the writing of the places and times makes them seem so real and even comfortable. Fantastic read for any sci-fi fan.
Andi
Jun 08, 2013 Andi rated it liked it
I think I would have enjoyed it more if I had read the book in order! I didn't realize it was part of a series when I picked out the Book On Tape for a road trip - but it was certainly fascinating.
Sharon
Jan 10, 2010 Sharon rated it liked it
I was somewhat disappointed when McCaffrey came out with several books in this series. This first installment contained some interesting elements, but the whole thing became extremely drawn out.
Elaine
Sep 26, 2010 Elaine rated it it was ok
way overcooked - too much time with the nefarious evildoers, over the top description, and 'foreshadowing' of the 'if only they'd known' type - I did a lot of skimming. What a shame.
Elisa Kay
Dec 17, 2012 Elisa Kay rated it liked it
I read this book quite quickly and enjoyed the adventures that Acorna and the other Linyaari faced. You could feel the emotions of the characters.
Theresa
Jan 24, 2015 Theresa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: review
McCaffrey, Anne
the story of the struggles of acorna's people finding understanding of self
Bradley
Apr 07, 2007 Bradley rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Sci Fi Fans
I read all things Anne Macffrey, this book goes good in this series. From what I remember of it, it was a good one. =)
Alysha DeShaé
Jan 04, 2013 Alysha DeShaé rated it really liked it
While never really consistent, the story in the Acorns books keep me reading and loving them!
Stephanie Bolen
May 13, 2015 Stephanie Bolen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Acorna finds her home but all is not great there is still an epic battle to fight.
Felicia Maffia
Feb 04, 2010 Felicia Maffia rated it liked it
Second time reading but was desperate for something light. Not her best work, but sweet.
Mollie *scoutrmom*
May 17, 2010 Mollie *scoutrmom* rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2010, fantasy
The first couple of hundred pages were slow, then it got much better.
  • The Ship Errant (Brainship, #6)
  • The Ship Avenged
  • Anne McCaffrey's Unicorn Girl: The Illustrated Adventures
  • Dragonholder: The Life and Dreams (So Far) of Anne McCaffrey
  • The People of Pern
  • Chaos Mode (Mode, #3)
  • Blue Beetle, Vol. 5: Boundaries
  • Command Performance
  • Five-Twelfths of Heaven (Roads of Heaven, #1)
  • Animal Crackers: A Gene Luen Yang Collection
  • Anne McCaffrey's Dragonflight #2
  • Blade Dancer
  • Owlsight (Owl Mage Trilogy, #2)
  • The Hidden Dragon: The Stargods #1
Anne McCaffrey was born on April 1st, 1926, in Cambridge, Massachusetts, at 1:30 p.m., in the hour of the Sheep, year of the Fire Tiger, sun sign Aries with Taurus rising and Leo mid-heaven (which seems to suggest an early interest in the stars).

Her parents were George Herbert McCaffrey, BA, MA PhD (Harvard), Colonel USA Army (retired), and Anne Dorothy McElroy McCaffrey, estate agent. She had two
More about Anne McCaffrey...

Acorna (10 books)
  • Acorna: The Unicorn Girl (Acorna #1)
  • Acorna's Quest (Acorna #2)
  • Acorna's World (Acorna #4)
  • Acorna's Search (Acorna #5)
  • Acorna's Rebels (Acorna #6)
  • Acorna's Triumph (Acorna #7)
  • First Warning: Acorna's Children (Acorna, #8)
  • Second Wave: Acorna's Children (Acorna, #9)
  • Third Watch: Acorna's Children (Acorna, #10)

“seed of a syphilitic she-camel,” 0 likes