Start by marking “A Will And A Way” as Want to Read:

A Will And A Way

3.70  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,467 Ratings  ·  138 Reviews
A New York Times Bestseller

Book 1 in the # 1 New York Times bestseller Engaging the Enemy series

It wasn't easy living with her infuriating co-beneficiary, Michael Donohue -- even to fulfill her uncle's last wishes -- but headstrong Pandora McVie found it still harder not falling in love with her nemesis.

Hardcover, Large Print, 288 pages
Published by Wheeler Publishing (first published 1986)

To ask other readers questions about A Will And A Way, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Will And A Way

Lauren
A Will and A Way
3.5 Stars

When her beloved uncle Jolley dies, Pandora is not only devastated but also furious as the eccentric old coot has left her his entire fortune with one condition … she must share it with Michael Donahue, a distant cousin by marriage who has always been her nemesis. Michael is none to happy to learn that he will have to spend six months in close quarters with the one woman who rubs him the wrong way … or is it that they rub each other the right way?

Michael and Pandora have
Andreia Silva
Pandora e Michael conhecem-se desde sempre uma vez que são primos afastados e foram os únicos a contactar com o tio abastado e dono de um património grande. Quando morre, deixa um testamento peculiar para a maioria da família (que não acha lá muita piada) e uma exigência aos dois: viverem 6 meses na casa que ambos tão bem conhecem.

Ora, como é óbvio, eles não acham muita graça a isso mas, como gostam muito da casa e não a querem perder para ninguém, entram no esquema. E pouco a pouco lá se vão to
Chrys
Feb 07, 2015 Chrys rated it really liked it
Very entertaining read! Michael and Pandora have never had anything in common besides loving their Uncle Jolly, an old millionaire who loves pranks and having a good laugh. So when Uncle Jolly dies and leaves them a fortune on the condition that they live together for six months, Michael and Pandora find themselves trapped together in a situation they could have never foreseen. But when bickering transforms into attraction, they start wondering whether Uncle Jolly had planned for them a future t ...more
Maria
Mar 01, 2012 Maria rated it it was ok
Shelves: in-2012
This is an interesting story about two people who 'hate' each other (but probably conveniently play off each other instead). They get stuck in the same huge mansion for six months to save said mansion from their power/wealth-hungry relatives. It's an interesting story, and I like Nora Roberts' style, but it wasn't the best book.

At the time though, it was a great way to get my mind off my 'harder' books, and it was available. I needed a romance at the time. It wasn't frothy like a lot of the thin
Gaysel
Feb 26, 2015 Gaysel rated it really liked it
The story was not spectacular but it certainly wasn't boring either. It kept me wanting to read more and I was also a little 'scared' at times for Pandora. A good read.
Romanticdryad
Jun 27, 2014 Romanticdryad rated it liked it
Shelves: nora-roberts
While they don't think much of each other Pandora McVie and her cousin-by-marriage Michael have long been the only reasonable companions to Pandora's eccentric and rich Uncle Jolley. Now that Uncle Jolley is dead, he wills his estate to the two of them so long as they manage to live together in the place for six months.

This is a mid range offering from Nora Roberts. There are no real suprises in the plot or the characters but the way the story played out was enjoyable and the main characters wer
Fanny Roswita Ria
Berawal dari surat wasiat Paman Joelley, sosok yang sangat dikagumi oleh hero dan heroine yang mengharuskan mereka untuk tinggal di rumah pamannya selama 6 bulan untuk yg menjadi syarat utama dalam mendapatkan wasiat mereka berdua dengan kalimat utamanya "berbagilah sama rata, berbagilah dengan adil"

Dari awal hero dan heroine ini sangat bertolak belakang, selalu penuh panah sindir menyindir akan masing2 profesi mereka sendiri kalo tdk ada paman Joelley yg jadi penengah maka pertengkaran kecil me
Sue
Mar 28, 2015 Sue rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance-suspense
3.5

Two strong, opinionated people are forced by a stipulation in a will to spend six months together, will they make it? Will they fall in love? I think it's obvious but then again this genre is not known for surprises but then again we do enjoy the journey.

This journey was quite good and the dialog was fun.
Komal Nadeem
Jul 04, 2014 Komal Nadeem rated it really liked it
The ones who spat at each other should be married - Norah Roberts, A Will and A Way

The moment Pandora encountered Micheal for the first time, I was hooked to this book. I read it years ago, but the fragrance of fresh and brutally honest love that I got from this novel is still with me. I do not like love stories because I read a lot them and somehow I did feel that Norah followed the theme of Judith McNaught in which protagonists hate each other at first but eventually fall in love. But perha
Ann
May 08, 2015 Ann rated it really liked it
Reading challenge #24 A book set during Christmas

A Will and a Way was a nice and enjoyable book. Pandora and Michael, distant relatives, lose their beloved uncle but inherit his manor and a lot of money if they manage to live together for six months.

They have known each other since they were little, for some reason they annoy each other. During the six months Pandora and Michael get to know each other in more intimate basis and of course realise they have loved one another for years.

Other rela
Jen
May 10, 2016 Jen rated it liked it
When Uncle Jolley leaves his vast fortune to Pandora and Michael, with the stipulation they live together in his house for six months, they know it's not going to be easy. Not only is the family furious that they don't get a piece of the pie, Pandora and Michael have been sniping at each other since they were kids. But, they didn't realize how much trouble the will would cause until they were stuck with each other. Passion ignites between these two easily, but when their lives are threatened by ...more
Bev Taylor
May 13, 2014 Bev Taylor rated it liked it
michael and pandora r in a room with a lawyer and their other relatives hearing the will of their favourite uncle

they r left the majority of his estate - much to the disgust of the others - with one proviso. they must live in his house together for 6 months, the only problem is that they r only polite to one another in the company of their uncle.

it is obvious from the first chapter how it is going to go and frankly i could not get thru it quick enough to move onto another book

2 questions - wh
Carla Ramos
Oct 14, 2014 Carla Ramos rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
3,5

Não gostei particularmente das personagens, pareceram-me sempre distantes, a parte do mistério acabou por ser a mais interessante :)
Sree Devi
Jan 04, 2016 Sree Devi rated it it was ok
The old cliched love-hate romance novel which hooks you nevertheless. I would go with a two for this because there was nothing new and the protagonists were gone from my mind the next day.
Well, after reading this I realized a very amusing thing. In almost every romance novel I read there is always a mother figure who prepares luscious dishes. She is the symbol of unconditional love and always tried to bring them closer. And you know what's the most endearing thing? She keeps the kitchen spick a
Joan
Nov 21, 2014 Joan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed Nora Roberts's A Will and a Way. Skillful plotting, thorough character-development, and a smooth writing style worked together to make a very engrossing read. Although the outcome of the plot was pretty obvious, and even the steps that led to it were fairly predictable, the journey from the premise of the novel to the conclusion was an enjoyable one. As a student of the writing process, I was encouraged to note that "show instead of tell" isn't always the way to a good novel. Roberts d ...more
Evelina
May 31, 2014 Evelina rated it liked it
I picked up A Will and a Way at a yard sale years and years ago, and it’s one of those books that I don’t regret buying used, but I would never have bought new.

I am not going to lie; this is not in any way a masterpiece. It’s also not as horrible as one would assume. I actually think it’s pretty okay.

Once the story gets going it’s fairly engaging. I have to admit that love stories where the characters initially dislike each other is a bit of a guilty pleasure of mine, even if this one isn’t as w
Kate Millin
Mar 02, 2016 Kate Millin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am really enjoying my period of reading light books with an interesting plot but good endings. This time it is about Pandora a bespoke jeweller and her second (ish) famous script writer cousin Michael who are left a bequest that means they have to live in the rambling house of their eccentric but much loved multi millionaire Uncle Jolly. Neither of them need the money but love the house and their uncle. The rest of the extended family are very angry a out their quirky bequests. Throw in 2 old ...more
Penny Linsenmayer
So, I was very underwhelmed by this book, the very first Nora Roberts book I've picked up. Skimming some of the other reviews, this is a re-release of a novel she wrote decades ago, early in her career. Good to know, because she violates quite a number of the customary writing prohibitions (including head-hopping from one paragraph to another, which was incredibly difficult to follow, and using a weird omniscient narrator POV at times).
Pat
Mar 10, 2014 Pat rated it liked it
3.5 stars...We have an estate worth millions, a disgruntled greedy bunch of leeches (aka family) contesting the unusual conditions of Jolley's will which expressly states that cousins Pandora and Michael must remain under the estate's roof for six months before they inherit it all and only one problem with the old man's scheme--Michael and Pandora can barely tolerate one another and someone seems bent on putting them in harm's way. Obvious from the beginning...yet Delightfully rendered!p
Barb in Maryland
Jan 04, 2013 Barb in Maryland rated it liked it
Shelves: romance
One of Nora's oldies--first published in 1986.

Easy going, pleasant read. A good romance, an interesting bit of mystery, likable main characters. Not a bad way to spend an hour or so.

fairly standard plot--eccentric (and very very rich)relative leaves bulk of his estate to our hero and heroine(distant cousins) provided they both live in the mansion for the next six months. Of course they can't stand each other at the outset. Of course the other relatives do their best to sabotage the arrangement.
Diana
Aug 17, 2014 Diana rated it it was ok
I wish I could give this 2.5 stars. Really wanted something fun and mindless since I've been doing quite a bit of heavy reading lately; this definitely was all of that. I couldn't quite give it three stars because the characters all seemed kind of ridiculous and a third grader could have anticipated the plot from the first twenty pages of the book, but hey..it did entertain me for a couple of days and was a nice light read.
Roxanne
Jul 04, 2016 Roxanne rated it it was ok
Shelves: audiobooks
Meh.
I am generally a Nora Roberts fan (she just makes her characters so real and relatable, and doing ordinary day to day things like details about their careers! Anyway. And normally her family relationships are amazing and I just feel the love and wish I had so many siblings etc - like with the Inn Boobsboro trilogy! Anyway.), but this is definitely not one of her better books.
Mary
Nov 13, 2014 Mary rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very early Nora that should never have been rereleased

This is a book originally published in 1986. If nothing else, it shows how far her style has evolved. I don't recommend reading this because the plot is so thin and the characters are cardboard cutouts. I LOVE Nora Roberts but this was just a waste of 99¢ and a couple of hours of my time.
Tania Martins
Gostei muito da dinâmica entre o casal embora tivesse achado toda a ideia do testamento meio louca, há sempre um familiar doido na família mas ainda assim gostei da Pandora e a profissão dela devia ser muito fixe e o Michael era aquele Noro fantástico que a autora já nos habituou...estava mesmo a ver-se aquele final e adorei o casal de empregados, o que eu me ri!
Margaret
May 23, 2015 Margaret rated it it was amazing
Perfect way to while away an airplane trip. Michael and Pandora are sparring cousins thrust together to meet the terms of their beloved Uncle Jolley's will. They must live together for 6 months, in order to inherit the house and fortune from Jolley, the uncle each adored. The rest of the family seems hell bent on preventing this at every turn...even resorting to attempts on their lives.
Maura
Oct 03, 2015 Maura rated it really liked it
Janice Spina
Oct 13, 2015 Janice Spina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I never get tired of reading books by the consummate creator of gripping and romantic mysteries, Nora Roberts. She has an innate ability to create characters that are intriguing and unforgettable and dialogue that draws the reader into the story.

I look forward to reading more from this talented and seasoned author.

Gramedia Pustaka Utama
Tinggal serumah hanya untuk memenuhi sebuah surat wasiat, rasanya mudah sekali. tetapi jika teman serumahmu adalah musuh bebuyutan, rasanya harus pikir-pikir lagi.
Tapi karena untuk mendapatkan warisan tersebut, keduanya harus tinggal bersama2, mau tidak mau harus di buat aturan main yang baik.
Itu yg di lakukan Pandora dan Michael, ketika mereka diwajibkan untuk tinggal bersama demi bisa mendapatkan warisan Paman Jolly yang antik.
Tetapi ternyata tidak semudah yang mereka harapkan, banyak pihak ya
Julie Wittekind
Nov 26, 2014 Julie Wittekind rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Family Foley!

A frustrating but exciting read with a very large inheritance at stake....an unexpected will of Uncle Foley and escalating mischief plus a possibility of a little romance makes this another enjoyable story from Nora Roberts.
Jody Stewart
Nov 30, 2014 Jody Stewart rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed the book very much.

I thought I'd figured the who did it in the first half of this book. I was wrong but the ending was great with an added surprise. A must read for all you Nora Roberts fans.
  • The Official Nora Roberts Companion
  • Ready for Romance
  • A Cold Creek Noel (Cowboys of Cold Creek, #11)
  • His Expectant Ex (The Landis Brothers, #2)
  • Alma Rebelde
  • Baby at His Convenience
  • The Unclaimed Baby (and Baby Makes Three: The Next Generation)
  • Played (Deception Series, #2)
  • Escape from Cabriz
  • Sheikh's Convenient Bride (O'Connells, #4)
  • As Gotas de um Beijo
  • Her Stolen Past
  • Breathless for the Bachelor (Texas Cattleman's Club: The Stolen Baby, #4)
  • A Dream Came True (The Best of Betty Neels)
  • He Could Be the One
  • In the Barrister’s Chambers (Regency Barrister, #1)
  • The Disobedient Bride
  • Knot Guilty (Crochet Mystery, #9)
Nora Roberts was born in Silver Spring, Maryland. She began writing when a blizzard in February 1979 kept her in her hilltop home with a three and six year old for nearly a week of canceled kindergarten and dwindling chocolate supplies.

During the now-famous blizzard, she pulled out a pencil and notebook and began to write a story for her own entertainment. From the first page, she knew it was wha
More about Nora Roberts...