Start by marking “The Face: A Natural History” as Want to Read:
The Face: A Natural History

The Face: A Natural History

3.59 of 5 stars 3.59  ·  rating details  ·  51 ratings  ·  7 reviews
This "natural history" of the face unravels the surprising mysteries of one of the most familiar sights in everyday life, exploring the face's anatomy, its singularity, its ability to communicate, and its beauty.
Published July 1st 2000 by Back Bay Books (first published October 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about The Face, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Face

Mark
This is a fascinating overview of research, history and philosophy about the human face. I found myself constantly on the borderline of awe with Daniel McNeill because of how well-read he was on this topic and for the way in which he could weave all this together.

After an initial chapter that provides a truly intriguing tour of all the features of the face (did you know we lose 23 minutes a day of visual information from blinking?), McNeill goes on to explore such topics as beauty, emotional exp
dejah_thoris
Overall a great book that wanders all over the face with anecdotes, history, science, literature, and other references to various parts of the face. Sounds strange when you read the summary but it's actually quite fun to read!

Disclaimer: As an overly well-read librarian, I was surprised to discover about 10-12 words I had to look up in order to understand a few sentences, most of which haven't been used since the 17th or 18th Century, like esculent. Not a giant problem but still surprising as m
I could not stop talking about my "face book" with my co-workers while I was reading this book. Everyone was very confused about why I always talking about my "face book" and why I shared so many strange facts about faces. It was awesome. I want to reread this book.
Jane
Jan 25, 2009 Jane added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Julie G.
Recommended to Jane by: random library pick
This is a book that skips around, but in a good way. He talks about the face and other aspects of communication like laughter. He intersperses quotes from literature and at times sounds poetic about emotions and language.
Alan
Apr 02, 2008 Alan marked it as to-read
will this book be shitty pseudo-science? Probably. Will I love it anyway? A thousand times yes.
Kyoungjin Lim
Face is not body part, but the universe.
Dennis
Must Read-1
Kept Attention-3
Meaningful-3
Shaless
Shaless marked it as to-read
May 04, 2015
Panaema
Panaema is currently reading it
Apr 21, 2015
Sadia Shahzadi
Sadia Shahzadi marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2015
Midie
Midie marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2015
Zack Lyon
Zack Lyon marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2015
Sarah added it
Mar 22, 2015
Stephanie McGarrah
Stephanie McGarrah marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2015
Jacque Staub
Jacque Staub marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2015
Liss
Liss marked it as to-read
Feb 13, 2015
Jordan
Jordan marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2015
Nataliya Semenovych
Nataliya Semenovych marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2015
Islam
Islam marked it as to-read
Dec 30, 2014
Julie
Julie marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2014
Thomas Matysik
Thomas Matysik marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2014
Hoai Nam
Hoai Nam marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2014
Ray De pencier
Ray De pencier marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2014
Eesha Waheed bukhari
Eesha Waheed bukhari marked it as to-read
Nov 05, 2014
Razieh Hn
Razieh Hn marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Fuzzy Logic: The Revolutionary Computer Technology That Is Changing Our World The Two Worlds of Style Delaney Mastering Graphics on the Macintosh The Theater of the Impossible Face