Dance to the Piper (The O'Hurleys, #2)

Dance to the Piper (The O'Hurleys #2)

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  2,114 ratings  ·  63 reviews
Published October 1st 1994 by Mira (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Dance to the Piper, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dance to the Piper

Saly
I really enjoyed this book because it was about how opposites attract and the heroine Maddy had this energy inside her that attracted people to her, she was despite her success in Broadway so sweet and down to earth and perfectly balanced the hero who was a cynic. I loved her impulsiveness, how she invited the hero to dinner to her house, her eclectic taste in decorating, everything.

She is an enigma to the hero, who is a cynic and business-minded. It's his company that is financing her new play...more
Cris
Gostei da Maddy, ela é porreta!! E confesso que estava com medo de ler o livro, pois das 3 irmãs ela me pareceu a mais desinteressante.

Ledo engano... Ela pode até parecer meio bobinha, mas é só aparência. A mulher tem uma tenacidade de ferro!

Maddy é uma atriz de musicais, e esta ensaiando para uma nova peça, quando é assaltada e conhece Reed Valentine ao mesmo tempo. Ele vê aquela moça magrinha disputando uma mochila com um assaltante e corre em seu socorro, não que precisasse, mas sabe como é....more
Melodie
The second chapter of the O'Hurley triplets is Maddie's story. A true free spirit, she is really a chip of the old block. Her life path has led her to Broadway where she has thrived.
When she bumps into(literally)the financial backer of her current play she is bowled over.And Reed Valentine(gotta love that last name)is intrigued and smitten.
But of course,love has to take the bumpy road. And there are potholes aplenty.Opposites attract, but they aren't guaranteed a happy ending.
As in the Abby...more
Jacob Proffitt
This is the second of the O'Hurley series and first published over 20 years ago. And again, it serves to highlight Roberts' growth since that time. Unfortunately, it's also worse than its predecessor.

Maddy O'Hurley is the dancer of the family. Dance permeates her life, as does an innate optimism and willingness to see the best in people. And it's a good thing she does because Reed is a first-class jerk. The book tries to justify his jerkness by ascribing it to the “betrayal” of his mother when h...more
Isabella Kai
A story of an optimist and a cynic, a dreamer and a realist. A dance to the love tune of the life piper.

I love Maddy's energy. It's like she never gets tired and while I was reading her I feel like I'm being sucked into a mini-whirlwind and I can't stop myself from twirling. I love the dance theme. I love any story that has to do with dance and Maddy is the perfect dance character for me. She's driven, passionate, talented and most of all she's grounded. I love her warm nature and how she can br...more
Debbie
Maddy O'Hurley is a star even if she doesn't act like it. Her name is in lights, she draws crowds to all her performances, but she is always open to more. Reed Valentine just might be that more that she is looking for. He is a no nonsense business man who always has a plan and a contract to fulfil. What he doesn't realize is that the best contract may not be as easy as all that.

Book 2..... This is a fun and light hearted story, the personal interaction between Maddy and Reed are laugh out loud f...more
Titinha Scaeiro
4,5... Gostei tanto da Maddy, tão querida, tão leve... Foi bom saber como está a Abby!!! Adoei! :D
Marjorie
I wanted to like this book because the concept was sweet, but I'm finding that I have a hard time getting sucked in to Roberts' characters and their situations. I found Maddy to be cute and likable but slightly unrealistic. Reed was pretty flat as well. I'm starting to see a predictable trend with Roberts' characters -- they're all good hearted and extremely good looking, but they have one problem that keeps them from loving. Eventually they overcome that one issue, no matter how deep that issue...more
Judith
Dit boek gaat over een drieling, die bestaat uit drie zeer verschillende zussen en hun oudere broer. Hun ouders zijn artiesten en zijzelf zijn ook opgegroeid als artiesten. Een van de zussen heeft een slecht huwelijk achter de rug met een heel bekende autocoureur die zich heeft doodgereden. Een journalist komt bij haar voor informatie over een biografie van die coureur. drie keer raden wat er gebeurt. Een andere zus speelt op Boadway in een musical die wordt gefinanciert door een erg rijke en ke...more
Deborah Vespo
SPOILER ALERT!!!!

Unbelievable I know but here was a Trilogy, or it may be a quad - I'm not considering the brother in this, that I haven't read written by Nora Roberts. The O'Hurley's Trilogy. Loved this book! Maddy is such an endearing character by her zest for life, her determination, and her very comfortableness with who she is. She grew up with a family that traveled around a lot - they were entertainers in every sense of the word - singers, dancers, and actors. Maddy is one of a triplet of...more
Kathy
Duncan Mandel

EDITORIAL REVIEW:

Book 2 in *The O'Hurley Collection*

**A New York Times Bestseller**

Though her name was up in lights, Maddy O'Hurley cared nothing for the trappings of stardom. All that mattered was dancing. But Reed Valentine's only passions were wealth and power . . . until Maddy engaged the mesmerizing mogul in the daring dance of love.

Libbi
I loved this! The character of Maddy is so real and so true to the thousands of theatre artists in the industry. I felt Reed was a little to contrived, though I guess that fits with his character's story. I kept waiting for there to be some consequence of the backer of the production and the star hooking up, though perhaps that wasn't as big a deal at the time this book was written. I also loved the family scenes. The O'Hurleys are such a fun bunch! Overall, it was a very enjoyable read.
Maria
Not sure why I didn't get into this as much as the first in the series. I guess I had trouble relating to Maddie and Reed. There weren't many of those small moments as in the first book that made the characters come alive. The way Maddie ate was certainly one of them. On the other hand I love watching plays, in New York and everywhere else, but know next to nothing about what goes into the production of a play, so I truly enjoyed the backstage insights. I have grown used to Ms. Roberts' amazing...more
Sasha
Easy to read, enjoyable, don't have to engage brain and finished it in about 5 hours. Typical Nora Roberts. No complaints but nothing earth shattering either. :)
Kiki Miranti
definitely one of nora's best. i'm saying that because this book, i thought, was more different than her usual.
it still has the same pattern as her usual books, but instead of 1 conflict before the ending, she added 2! other than that, the most exciting thing about this book is that it was so unexpected. while i was reading, i couldn't think about what would happen because the characters are so predictable yet so unpredictable.
i don't know if other people thinks the same as i do, but i am certai...more
Juuli
Maddy, one of the O'Hurley triplets, is rehearsing for a new Broadway show. The same show is sponsored by a record company. Maddy meets the owner's son Reed and falls in love. Unfortunately Reed doesn't believe in love and has huge trust issues.

My mind was wandering while reading this. Maddy and Reed were both cute but somehow flat. I also felt that there wasn't enough interaction for them to fall in love. Sure, they dated but reader got only a few glimpses of that. I also hoped to read more abo...more
Yannica Hayles
i love this book
Dpic
Lovely fluff
Sapphire
Oct 02, 2012 Sapphire rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: no
Recommended to Sapphire by: no one
First let me say i love Maddie her bubbly nature happy, free spirited. she reminds me a great deal of a dear friend of mine. That being said i think a great deal more could have been done with this character while i enjoyed the explanation of ballet moves and dance routines the story sort of fell flat. HOWEVER i do like the back story added from the parents of the two main characters. I however do not care for Reed at all. I doubt i would read this book again
Fernanda
Continuação da historia da familia O'Hurley.
Maddy estrela da Broadway e Reed Valentine, são os protagonistas nesta historia de luta interior e do aceitar do amor descoberto e que reivindica que o aceitem.

Uma historia "fofinha" sem grandes pretensões, que se lê bem.
Não há grandes arroubos de pensamentos ou de diálogos intensos, tornando a leitura simples, porém agradável.
Elizabeth Nesbit-comer
I loved the dancing and the limitations on food that Maddie set for herself. I think she was a wonderful character but too much of this story was spent in their heads as they thought about the relationship which slowed the story considerable. I would have liked to hear more about her dancing and prep work and even more about his work and freetime activities.
Manda Collins
An interesting romance between a Broadway star and a record company executive. The Broadway bits hold up really well. The record company bits less so--or rather, it makes the book feel dated. Also is a bit sad considering what's happened to the record industry in the intervening years. The romance is strong, though and ultimately that's what help me interested.
Maggie
actually 3.5 *s. I liked this book, I like the O'Hurleys unfortunately I missed book 1. The narration of this book is very good and I liked listening to it on audio. I have book 3 on audio as well but I have to admit I want to skip to book 4 and find out about Trace-- but I won't. I don't think I will go back and read #1 though.
Maria
I think Reed was a bit thin as a character but Maddy was fantastic. I´m a dancer my self, having worked in small clubs and still practice almost daily so I can really connect with her. But the story never quite clicked for me. But a Nora Roberts book is never a waste of time! Goes perfect with my breakfast cereals.
Judy
This is another light, entertaining read by Nora Roberts and the second in the O'Hurley series. Romance blossoms for triplet Maddy O'Hurley and disciplined, remote Reed Valentine. Reed struggles to keep his love for Maddy in check while he deals with hurts from his past.
Heidi
This was pretty good, i expected pretty much what I got and i enjoyed it... there's a little bit of a lack of connection with the characters and the girl chases the guy a little to much for my taste... but meeh, what can you expect from this type of novel?
Teresa
Tendo em conta que é uma história de 1988, não deixa de ser interesante como ainda nos consegue conquistar. Gosta da força das mulheres da NR, uma mulher para ser forte não necessita esquecer a sua feminilidade e não tem que fingir que não ama.
Nicci
This was the third or forth time I've rad this book. The main character is fun, impulsive and stubborn all qualities I love in a main character. It's a short book though so the character development, and story line moves really fast.
Panichaya
Wow. I just love Nora Roberts, period.

Maddy is just so adorable. She's optimistic, honest, loyal, and darn...cute!!! Exactly what our dense, realistic, and insecure hero, Reed, needs.

I really recommend this heart-warming story.
  • Ryan's Place  (The Devaneys #1)
  • Husband by the Hour (Silhouette Special Edition, #1099)
  • A Woman's Touch
  • Unexpected (Silver Creek #1)
  • The Lost (includes In Death, #29.5)
  • Tempted
  • Hot for Him (Harlequin Blaze, #326)
  • Always (Sedikhan, #8)
  • Rock My World (The Wrong Bed) (Harlequin Blaze #215)
  • Make Your Move (Harlequin Blaze, #542)
  • Just For Kicks (Showgirls #2)
  • Turning Up the Heat (La Vie en Roses, #0.5)
aka
Jill March
J.D. Robb
Sarah Hardesty

Eleanor Marie Robertson was born on October 10, 1950 in Silver Spring, Maryland, USA. She was the youngest of five children, also the only girl, of a marriage with Irish ancestors. Her family were avid readers, so books were always important in her life. She attended a Catholic school and credits the nuns with instilling in her a sense of discipline. During her...more
More about Nora Roberts...