Start by marking “Love Matters: Remarkable Love Stories That Touch the Heart and Nourish the Soul” as Want to Read:
Love Matters: Remarkable Love Stories That Touch the Heart and Nourish the Soul

Love Matters: Remarkable Love Stories That Touch the Heart and Nourish the Soul

3.57  ·  Rating Details  ·  65 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
Delilah opens her heart to explain why love is, truly, what matters most...Delilah dominates nighttime radio with her mesmerizing voice and unique offering of popular music, superb storytelling and sympathetic listening. The self-proclaimed "Queen of Sappy Love Songs" describes her show as "a safety zone where listeners take off their armor, slip into a comfortable cardiga ...more
Published October 1st 2008 by Harlequin Books (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Love Matters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Love Matters

Talia
Oct 12, 2008 Talia rated it it was ok
This is a collection of love stories of varying nature: love lost, love found, family, etc., with a inspirational tone to it.
Nothing overwhelmingly special, and I got tired of Delilah talking about herself in between each chapter. The "inspirational" nature is also not overbearing, and some of the stories are pretty sweet, but the bits by Delilah just kinda killed it for me.
Wendy
Nov 02, 2008 Wendy rated it it was ok
A lot of the stories Delilah shared were just not that special and a lot of the same themes seemed to repeat themselves- people seperated because of military, babies out of wedlock, someone with cancer, and so on. By the end I was speed reading and I knew exactly how each story would end. Where's the element of surprise?

Given her own personal history with three husbands, how can she really give advice on love? Sure she's adopted 7 kids and has 3 of her own, but she kind of has that essence of t
Riana
Feb 25, 2011 Riana rated it it was amazing
Shelves: inspirational
i did not grow up in the united states, so i have no decade old memories of delilah and her radio show.

nevertheless (or maybe, therefore) i really enjoyed this book.

i like how the stories tell about life. it often is unfair. pain is, in the long run, inevitable. you never know what is around the corner. things like this - nothing that we would not have been aware of before, but gentle reminders to hold on, or let go, and especially to never give up hope.

i am not religious - most definitely no
Day
Apr 20, 2009 Day rated it did not like it
So I gave this book to my Mom for the holidays 2008. She LOVED it. She gave it back to me and said I should read it. We both kinda joke about Delilah's radio show...how sappy it is but how it still can be very engaging, and amusing.

Anyhow...I should probably preface this with full disclosure about my religious perspective. I am completely secular, and religion does not play an active role in my life, belief system, choices, etc. If forced to think about religion, I'd categorize myself as agnost
dirt
Feb 08, 2011 dirt rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Cheese Balls
Delilah writes in the section about True Love that only seven percent of surveyed people said they were happy in their marriage of 10+ years. She went on and on about how about how happy it makes her to hear from people who have been married for decades and still happy in love. So you would expect a slew of letters from people who had been together for years. You would be sadly mistaken. These are letters are about couples who have been together for maybe a year and probably met over the interwe ...more
Jen
Feb 03, 2016 Jen rated it liked it
This book was a cheesy read, which I knew it would be. But, one unexpected thing that I really liked was the introduction before each chapter written by Delilah. Those sections told more about her personal experiences than I've ever heard her talk about on the air and they showed a real depth to her. She seems to have a genuine understanding of how complicated the heart can be. Reading those sections made me feel really connected to her somehow!
Donna
May 24, 2014 Donna rated it it was amazing
Another good book from Delilah, Stories that were told by listeners that really touched your heart, The last book I read she only had 6 children, now she has 10, 7 which were adopted. This lady must have a heart full of love and compassion to listen to all the sad stories and love all the children in the same way. Kudo's to her for what she does...................
Chris Webber
Aug 21, 2016 Chris Webber rated it it was ok
Just say no to cheesy, platitude-filled stories of love. I picked up this book to read to try and restore my faith in love. Now I want to dump it in the trash. Need more substance ands complexity than this.
kimberly Berish Rollyson
I love reading her books

I love reading her books and they are about peoples lives how they call in and tell her their story and she plays a song for them.
Tiffany
Sep 09, 2014 Tiffany rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favortie
Ever since I was a little girl (about 5) I listened to Delilah every single night. It was canceled on my local radio station 3 years ago and I miss her every night. I found her book at a store and bought it thinking of all of those childhood memories connected to her. She got me through some really rough times. She truely is an inspiration to everyone and I loved her book. The first story made me cry it was about a little girl who's only Christmas wish was to see Santa. I never wanted to put it ...more
Krisnow18
Jul 09, 2012 Krisnow18 rated it really liked it
I normally don't read books like this. I picked it up knowing it was something I could read while waiting at the doctor's or before rehearsals - short stories always work well for that type of thing. I didn't do that, however. I read it in one sitting, very fast read. We have probably all heard Delilah on the radio. This is a collection of letters, calls, or e-mails from readers, with a preface for each grouping by Delilah. I don't think I am a sappy person but I have to say that I cried over so ...more
Julie
Jul 15, 2015 Julie rated it it was ok
Sweet, but I'm a sucker for love stories.
Trinka
Apr 04, 2011 Trinka rated it it was ok
One of the worst books I have read. I did not like the fact that almost all the stories involved divorce. You can have a happy marriage without getting divorced first. Really disturbed me. Wanted to stop reading but was hopeful that it would get better. I was very disappointed when I got to the end and it was the same old same old.
Dec 21, 2008 Laura rated it really liked it
This book didn't even make it to my currently reading section. That is because this is such an amazing book. It is a bunch of love stories. Some sad, some happy. I was able to knock this book out in 1 day. Very easy read. If you listen to Delilah on the radio in the evenings, then you will LOVE this book!!!
Traci
Jun 24, 2009 Traci rated it liked it
Okay so I didn't actually finish it but I got the jist of it. Chicken Soup for the Soul meets radio talk show host. I kept trying to read it at work but just felt silly trying not to cry in the lunch room. I still find it weird that people open up so much to her on national radio.
Deidra
Dec 09, 2008 Deidra rated it liked it
Amazing what I'll pick up from the new non-fiction section at the library. A sappy, cheesy, quick read.

I really liked some parts of it (like the stories of forty-year marriages), but hated others (like the "I divorced my husband to be with my true love, high school sweetheart").
Holly
Feb 17, 2009 Holly added it
This was just a book a put in the bathroom to read a quick story of two when I could. I always love listening to the Delilah stories on the radio and the book was just as enjoyable, but not meant to be read all at once...more enjoyable one story at a time.
Jenny
Sep 25, 2013 Jenny rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book a lot. It was a mix of happy and sad stories from Delilah's listeners. I found it encouraging that there were so many of the love lost and found variety. :) I recommend it to everyone!
Sharon
Jul 29, 2011 Sharon added it
This was a sweet little book, very sweet and sappy, but the author states that she is the queen of sappy love songs, so one can't really expect anything diffrent.
Heather R. Smith
Sep 18, 2011 Heather R. Smith rated it it was ok
If you enjoy the Delilah radio show, you might like this book. It's story after a story from the radio show, minus the music of course.
Cindy Kester
Feb 08, 2013 Cindy Kester rated it really liked it
I never heard Deliah's radio show but I enjoyed reading the stories. YOu need a Kleenex for some of them.
Barbara
Jan 04, 2009 Barbara rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned-books-read
Truly inspiring! It's amazing how many people open up to Delilah. Also love her radio show.
Tanti
Feb 07, 2009 Tanti rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Don't mind Delilah. Just read the stories. They're good.
Krista
Dec 31, 2008 Krista rated it liked it
This book has changed my life! Thanks Delilah!
Anna
Feb 08, 2016 Anna added it
I enjoyed this book.
Jamie
Jan 12, 2009 Jamie rated it did not like it
Ugh, way too mushy for me.
Shaylain
Shaylain marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2016
Tasha
Tasha added it
Jun 06, 2016
Sully Library
Sully Library marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
I began writing as a hobby when I was a teenager. I enjoyed sharing my expressive creativity with my friends and family never intending to see any of my works on the pages of anything more than a notebook much less published in a 'real' book. In the summer of 2011 upon discovering a huge pile of (old) manuscripts, my husband (Danny) insisted I do something with them, thus a few months later my fir ...more
More about Delilah...