Start by marking “The Code of Love: An Astonishing True Tale of Secrets, Love, and War” as Want to Read:
The Code of Love: An Astonishing True Tale of Secrets, Love, and War

The Code of Love: An Astonishing True Tale of Secrets, Love, and War

For fifty years, Pamela Kirrage longed to unlock the secrets of her husband’s encrypted war diary. She was on the verge of giving up when she at last found a mathematician who became as obsessed with learning the secrets of the diary as she was. After months of painstaking investigation, he was finally able to crack the code, and in the process uncover the ending to an ext ...more
Published January 8th 2002 by Anchor (first published March 9th 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Code of Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Code of Love

Meg Marie
Oct 14, 2012 Meg Marie rated it liked it
One of the most romantic, and ultimately saddest books I've ever read. It's a short, quick read and in places I would have loved more. Parts of it seemed like it was only skimming a life story, but overall, I much enjoyed it.
Eustacia Tan
Aug 08, 2016 Eustacia Tan rated it really liked it
Shelves: nlb-ereads
My exams are finally finished, and I managed to finish reading this book as well! It's not a light read, but it's an interesting one.

The Code of Love basically has two stories: One of a mathematician trying to break a coded diary, and one of a couple during WWII. Obviously, the two stories are intertwined, and the diary is from Donald (one half of that couple), who wrote the diary as a Japanese POW. The diary was sent to the mathematician by his wife (other half) Pamela.

Let's just get this out
Ann
Feb 21, 2016 Ann rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoir
There are three threads of narrative in this book.

The first is the story of a dashing pilot and a gorgeous model who met and fell in love in 1939, right before WWII started. They just managed to get engaged before Donald was posted to Hong Kong, which was soon overrun by the Japanese. He ended up in a Japanese prison camp and it was years before he could be reunited with his faithful fiancee, Pamela.

The second thread is the story of the fall of Hong Kong and the life in the Japanese prison camps
Jan
Aug 19, 2015 Jan rated it really liked it
Having read countless bios of this type over the past 40 years I am still amazed with the history. I wish the youth of today had some inkling of this history before they enter the military. The lifelong effects of service radiates outward to their lives & those even remotely connected to them. This history might prepare them (or all of us) for the future.

What we recently call 'water boarding' is a very old technique. It's a wonder the 'rack' is not a form of warfare in the present.

I found pa
Lorraine L Wetzel
Lorraine L Wetzel is currently reading it
Aug 21, 2016
Audrey O'Driscoll
Audrey O'Driscoll rated it really liked it
Jun 25, 2016
SM Surber
SM Surber rated it liked it
Feb 29, 2016
Judy
Judy rated it liked it
Jan 28, 2016
Ann
Ann rated it it was amazing
Dec 13, 2015
Pradeep Bajracharya
Pradeep Bajracharya rated it really liked it
May 02, 2015
Kai
Kai marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2015
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2015
Dawn Fleishans
Dawn Fleishans marked it as to-read
Lis S.
Lis S. marked it as to-read
Alan Benson
Alan Benson marked it as to-read
Elizabeth
Elizabeth is currently reading it
Mar 04, 2015
Betsy
Betsy marked it as to-read
Bronwyn
Bronwyn marked it as to-read
Stacey Profitt
Stacey Profitt rated it really liked it
Feb 12, 2015
Karyn
Karyn rated it liked it
Feb 08, 2015
Christy Daniel
Christy Daniel marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2014
Cherie
Cherie marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2014
Dermot Conway
Dermot Conway marked it as to-read
Oct 10, 2014
Tam
Tam rated it it was ok
Nov 12, 2014
Simon
Simon rated it liked it
Sep 30, 2014
Joemar Papa
Joemar Papa rated it it was amazing
Sep 06, 2014
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2016