Start by marking “The Red Shoes” as Want to Read:
The Red Shoes

The Red Shoes

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  88 ratings  ·  29 reviews
A contemporary retelling of the Hans Christian Andersen classic beautifully illustrated by artist Sun Young Yoo.
Published November 1st 2008 by Ammo Books (first published 1969)

To ask other readers questions about The Red Shoes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Red Shoes

Romanaus Elangwe
Karen, the daughter of poor shoemaker dreamt about growing-up and making beautiful dancing shoes and clothes to go with them. Because her mother was too poor to buy shoes for her birthday, she had been secretly making a pair of red shoes for Karen out of some leftover scraps. Unfortunately she fell ill and died when the shoes were almost ready to be worn. Grieving Karen would wear the shoe each time she thought about her mother. A princess passing through the village admired Karen's red shoes an ...more
Ashley Sites
I thought that this was a nice story. I've never heard the original story, but I glance at some of the other reviews, it seems to be a pretty horrific one. I'm actually quite interested in knowing what the original is like. This book had very nice illustrations. Though, I thought that they had a Japanese/anime/something kind of feel to them and I found that a little odd for some reason. The story never said as to why the shoes became stuck on the girl's feet. I thought that it was cool that she ...more
Jess
Dec 30, 2010 Jess rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Jess by: Marjie
Leslie
I was curious how a children’s picture book would base their story upon a tale that had been written with an older audience in mind; especially a tale that is quite disturbing. What follows is not a negative review, but neither is it easy. The short of it: but for the first paragraph, ignore the jacket copy and do not compare it to Hans Christian Andersen’s “The Red Shoes.”

"Artistically stunning, The Red Shoes, as envisioned by Susan Young Yoo, creates a magical world of beautiful shoes, ornamen
Meghan
In this fractured version of Hans Christian Anderson's The Red Shoes, the story differs from the original just slightly, but in all the good ways. In the original, it was overbearing with Christian themes of "you need to repent or else..." and all that good stuff, but in this version, it teaches kids to be optimistic and clever and to stand up for themselves. I loved that the main character, Karen, is creative and strong and clever for a child. In my opinion, this teaches a better lesson than th ...more
Christina
A much tamer version of this Andersen-inspired fairy tale than the one I had read previously. The threat of cutting off the girl's feet for her shoes still looms in the story, but the girl overcomes the threat through her own cleverness and hard work. I liked the sparse, pen and ink illustrations, but they might not hold all kids' interests.
This version of the red shoes is a heart tugging tale about a daughter's quest to honor her mother. Through the story, you can gain a spiritual uplifting because of the mother/daughter bond that is connected beyond the grave. The mom's legend of the shoes she made for her daughter inspired the girl to out-wit the spoiled princess and eventually create her own happy life. The pen-work illustrations were awe-inspiring. While there is no color to the pages, the drawings are still every bit as excit ...more
Karen
My five-year-old son picked this book out from the library this week. I might have helped him -- my first name is Karen, and I was so enthralled with and terrified of Andersen's version as a child that I was twenty before I owned a pair of red shoes.

The pen and ink illustrations are delightful, but lacking one thing: Red. Just that touch of color could have made this book so much more visually powerful.

The story may have been "based on" Andersen's "Red Shoes", much like "Frozen" is based on An
Susie
i agree with this review that stated "The illustrations were beautiful, but the story read like a parable for indie designers." As an indie designer, I didn't see that as a drawback — I liked how the newly interpreted text taught the lesson that cleverness and honing of your (potentially inherited) skills could help carve your path in life and help you preserve the memories of your teachers. The story was what it was, but the illustrations? They're gorgeous. Think Edward Gorey meets George Barbi ...more
Rachel Rouleau
Boring story and boring illustrations. Couldn't figure out if this was based on some sort of actual fairy tale or just set up to sound like one.
Christine Turner
A retelling of the Hans Christian Andersen fairy tale in which a girl's desire for a pair of red dancing shoes almost dooms her to dance forever.
www.hcpl.net

This is modern version of Hans Chrisian Andersen's orginal fairytale. I must say,I perfer this version of the story. The main character uses her creativity, passion and problem solving skills to overcome the challenges that she faces. This version shows that inner strength and hard work provide a positive outcome. A wonderful message for any
Sam Bloom
This somewhat bizarre take on Hans Christian Anderson's tale is, as the inner book jacket explains, a "new interpretation... [with:] a postive message" of empowerment and self-worth for the young heroine. The "positive message" is handled kind of strangely, and after finishing I found myself looking back a few pages to try to figure out exactly what the heck happened... it was very odd. Anyway, the pencil illustrations are really very lovely, but the book itself is a bit of a head-scratcher.
Joanna
Stunning illustrations by Sun Yung Yoo--5+ stars for the art; I will be eagerly awaiting any future book illustrations in her career. The story itself is retold/reinvented from the original, and although I like the plot changes, the telling by Gloria Fowler is just okay. Even worse, the spoiled princess catches "site" of the red shoes, and I am obsessive enough about grammar and spelling that it may prevent me from purchasing this beautifully-illustrated volume.
Satia
Gorgeous illustrations but no red . . . not even on the shoes. (An interesting choice on the artist's part. As a child I would have grabbed a red crayon or shoes and fixed the artist's mistake.) This is a changed version of the classic tale. Less gruesome which begs the question: Is this an improvement? For more:

Mary Meldrum
I love this book. I enjoyed the way the author changed the story and made it happy! The art work was very nice too.
Amanda
This was beyond my 3 1/2 yr old DS and I probably wouldn't have read it to him had I pre-read it. Mostly because her mother dies in the beginning. And then there is a sort of Cinderella-esque deal with a spoiled princess. The illustrations are beautiful and the creativity of the girl would appeal to little girls (primarily), especially those who like a fashionable pair of shoes.
Terri
These illustrations are marvelous--very inspiring.
Jennybeast
The illustrations were beautiful, but the story read like a parable for indie designers. I was honestly surprised to find that it was based on Hans Christian Anderson, as it had none of the flow or charm of his work.
Tessa
The illustrations were awesome!!! The text was only ok; the words simply didn't match the flowing pencil drawings. Still a good read, if for no other reason than to see the pictures.
thistle
Terrible proofreading, both typos and grammar. Interesting as an attempt to recuperate the Andersen version of death, but not quite compelling. Lovely illustrations, however!
Sarah Kiesche
Cute folk tale about an orphaned girl who is faced with having to part with her red shoes. Love the female lead in this story and it has a great message!
Kathleen
This picture book for older readers is like a Grimm fairy tale without the magic but the beautifully unique pen and ink drawings suffice for pixy dust.
Andd Becker
The disappointment is that the colorless drawings lack the color red to illuminate the shoe-star of the story.
Stephanie
This is a beautifully illustrated book, but more for adults or older kids interested in picture books.
Emily
A beautifully illustrated version of the Hans Christian Anderson story, very modern and contemporary.
Rachelle
Gorgeous. I don't know if this is a book for children, but it is a book for me.
Samantha
This is a cool book that has an appealing story for girls, like me!
Tina
revised andersen fairytale, shoes, creativity, mementoes
Alison
5 stars for the illustrations
Maysarf
Maysarf marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Modern Art Deluxe Memory Game Materials Alphabet (Chunky Edition) Charley Harper ABCs: Chunky Edition Alexander Girard Color Eames: Beautiful Details