Start by marking “The Visual Arts: A History” as Want to Read:
The Visual Arts: A History

The Visual Arts: A History

3.6 of 5 stars 3.60  ·  rating details  ·  50 ratings  ·  5 reviews
An authoritative, balanced, and enlightening history of world art, this new Sixth Edition of The Visual Arts: A History is a worthy successor to the critically acclaimed earlier editions. From a 30,000-year-old statuette to digital art of the 21st century, this book offers the most up-to-date and wide-ranging history of art available in a single volume.

The Visual Arts is

Published August 1st 1991 by Prentice Hall (first published September 30th 1971)

To ask other readers questions about The Visual Arts, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Visual Arts

Kieraanne
This was our text for my Art History Survey I class. We only had through chapter nine, so I can't speak of any chapters following. I found the quality of writing distracting. Run on, convoluted sentences abounded and the Christian chapter at the end seemed to assume that the reader knew the basic premises of Catholicism which was annoying. The author also seemed to write in a very opinionated way which surprised me since textbooks are supposed to be written from an unbiased third party perspecti ...more
July
This is one huge Art history book, everything from prehistoric, cave art, to the turn of the Millennium. Every artist known to have made a name from himself or herself has made it into this huge book. The writing is dull, although I'm sure that if you read this book more than once it probably would not be. I do not think anything was left out about art history. Although I am not a History major. Pictures are quite good it makes you want to see some of the places in person.
Elizabeth
One of my favorite textbooks from my favorite course in college. This book goes through all of the visual arts, architecture, fine art, photography, crafts, set within the major movements of civilization (Greeks, Romans, Buddists, Islamic, Byzantine, I could go on and on). The book makes a valiant effort to explore art from a variety of civilizations and I like how well Honour places everthing within a historical context.
Caroline
Note: I think I read the 5th or 6th edition as I originally bought this book in 2003.

The only thing I think it needed, was more on prehistoric and early historic architecture and art. Chatal Huyuk, ancient Inca, other early civilizations.

Read this straight through like a novel when I really needed an absorbing diversion (I was in jail. Just kidding.).
Carolyn Schofield
Covers pretty much everything, including good sections on non Western art, but so big it's a bit daunting to actually read for pleasure.
Badr
Badr marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2014
Karim
Karim is currently reading it
Dec 09, 2014
Arumfaerie
Arumfaerie marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2014
Booklover87
Booklover87 marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2014
Ann
Ann marked it as to-read
Nov 06, 2014
Edilson
Edilson marked it as to-read
Nov 01, 2014
Hannah Peters
Hannah Peters marked it as to-read
Oct 14, 2014
Jessica  Lia
Jessica Lia marked it as to-read
Oct 09, 2014
Sally Wijaya
Sally Wijaya marked it as to-read
Altemel
Altemel marked it as to-read
Maria
Maria marked it as to-read
Ars Longa Vita
Lucero Mtz esqueda
Lucero Mtz esqueda marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2014
Gabriel Strzepek
Gabriel Strzepek marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2014
Aimee
Aimee added it
Aug 10, 2014
Gregory
Gregory marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2014
Ifeoluwa Ehondor
Ifeoluwa Ehondor marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
A World History Of Art Romanticism Neo-Classicism (Penguin Style and Civilization) The Companion Guide to Venice The Venetian Hours of Henry James, Whistler, and Sargent