Start by marking “The Visual Arts: A History” as Want to Read:
The Visual Arts: A History

The Visual Arts: A History

An authoritative, balanced, and enlightening history of world art, this new Sixth Edition of The Visual Arts: A History is a worthy successor to the critically acclaimed earlier editions. From a 30,000-year-old statuette to digital art of the 21st century, this book offers the most up-to-date and wide-ranging history of art available in a single volume.

The Visual Arts is

Published August 1st 1991 by Prentice Hall (first published September 30th 1971)

To ask other readers questions about The Visual Arts, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Visual Arts

Dec 05, 2011 Kieraanne rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
This was our text for my Art History Survey I class. We only had through chapter nine, so I can't speak of any chapters following. I found the quality of writing distracting. Run on, convoluted sentences abounded and the Christian chapter at the end seemed to assume that the reader knew the basic premises of Catholicism which was annoying. The author also seemed to write in a very opinionated way which surprised me since textbooks are supposed to be written from an unbiased third party perspecti ...more
Dec 09, 2012 July rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: home-library
This is one huge Art history book, everything from prehistoric, cave art, to the turn of the Millennium. Every artist known to have made a name from himself or herself has made it into this huge book. The writing is dull, although I'm sure that if you read this book more than once it probably would not be. I do not think anything was left out about art history. Although I am not a History major. Pictures are quite good it makes you want to see some of the places in person.
Mar 18, 2007 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: art, nonfiction
One of my favorite textbooks from my favorite course in college. This book goes through all of the visual arts, architecture, fine art, photography, crafts, set within the major movements of civilization (Greeks, Romans, Buddists, Islamic, Byzantine, I could go on and on). The book makes a valiant effort to explore art from a variety of civilizations and I like how well Honour places everthing within a historical context.
Mar 11, 2013 Caroline rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Note: I think I read the 5th or 6th edition as I originally bought this book in 2003.

The only thing I think it needed, was more on prehistoric and early historic architecture and art. Chatal Huyuk, ancient Inca, other early civilizations.

Read this straight through like a novel when I really needed an absorbing diversion (I was in jail. Just kidding.).
Becky Frost
Feb 26, 2015 Becky Frost rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This has probably been one of my favorite art books of all time. It has EVERYTHING. I keep it and two other art books on my shelf for reference.
Carolyn Schofield
Jul 04, 2011 Carolyn Schofield rated it really liked it
Covers pretty much everything, including good sections on non Western art, but so big it's a bit daunting to actually read for pleasure.
Apr 23, 2007 Susannah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I pretty much memorized this book in preparation for my comprehensive exam in the History of Art for my BA. How could I not love it?
Kimberly marked it as to-read
Oct 23, 2016
Kimberley is currently reading it
Oct 04, 2016
Laura Karr
Laura Karr marked it as to-read
Oct 04, 2016
Giuliamore marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2016
reachback rated it it was amazing
Sep 11, 2016
Kate added it
Sep 08, 2016
Andrea marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2016
Preet Bhinder
Preet Bhinder marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2016
Danny Rit
Danny Rit marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2016
Trần Khánh Linh
Trần Khánh Linh marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2016
Zsintaya Johnston
Zsintaya Johnston marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2016
BookDB marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2016
Shauna marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2016
P. marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2016
jacqueline marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2016
Brandon marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2016
Robert Cross
Robert Cross marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2016
Tomek marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2016
Maureen marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2016
Niela marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2016
Lesinka marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2016
  • Believing Is Seeing: Creating the Culture of Art
  • Isms: Understanding Art
  • Vision and Art: The Biology of Seeing
  • A Short Guide to Writing About Art (The Short Guide Series)
  • Halbzeit
  • The Trust: The Private and Powerful Family Behind the New York Times
  • John Singer Sargent
  • How Art Made the World
  • The Printing Press as an Agent of Change
A self-taught British art historian.
More about Hugh Honour...