The Visual Arts: A History

The Visual Arts: A History

3.48 of 5 stars 3.48  ·  rating details  ·  42 ratings  ·  5 reviews
An authoritative, balanced, and enlightening history of world art, this new Sixth Edition of The Visual Arts: A History is a worthy successor to the critically acclaimed earlier editions. From a 30,000-year-old statuette to digital art of the 21st century, this book offers the most up-to-date and wide-ranging history of art available in a single volume.

The Visual Arts is

Published August 1st 1991 by Prentice Hall (first published January 1st 1982)

Kieraanne
This was our text for my Art History Survey I class. We only had through chapter nine, so I can't speak of any chapters following. I found the quality of writing distracting. Run on, convoluted sentences abounded and the Christian chapter at the end seemed to assume that the reader knew the basic premises of Catholicism which was annoying. The author also seemed to write in a very opinionated way which surprised me since textbooks are supposed to be written from an unbiased third party perspecti...more
July
This is one huge Art history book, everything from prehistoric, cave art, to the turn of the Millennium. Every artist known to have made a name from himself or herself has made it into this huge book. The writing is dull, although I'm sure that if you read this book more than once it probably would not be. I do not think anything was left out about art history. Although I am not a History major. Pictures are quite good it makes you want to see some of the places in person.
Elizabeth
One of my favorite textbooks from my favorite course in college. This book goes through all of the visual arts, architecture, fine art, photography, crafts, set within the major movements of civilization (Greeks, Romans, Buddists, Islamic, Byzantine, I could go on and on). The book makes a valiant effort to explore art from a variety of civilizations and I like how well Honour places everthing within a historical context.
Craroline
Note: I think I read the 5th or 6th edition as I originally bought this book in 2003.

The only thing I think it needed, was more on prehistoric and early historic architecture and art. Chatal Huyuk, ancient Inca, other early civilizations.

Read this straight through like a novel when I really needed an absorbing diversion (I was in jail. Just kidding.).
Carolyn Schofield
Covers pretty much everything, including good sections on non Western art, but so big it's a bit daunting to actually read for pleasure.
Perceived Fallaciously
Perceived Fallaciously marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2014
Felicia
Felicia marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2014
Sam Flores
Sam Flores marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2014
Suki Sun
Suki Sun marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2014
Kathleen
Kathleen marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2014
Jamarcus Creeks
Jamarcus Creeks marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2014
Lucille
Lucille is currently reading it
Mar 05, 2014
Max Anderson
Max Anderson marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2014
Heathers Feathers
Heathers Feathers marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2014
Fatah Aziz
Fatah Aziz marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2014
Rakshanda
Rakshanda marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2014
Lina
Lina is currently reading it
Jan 11, 2014
Angela
Angela marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2014
Bree Mclaren
Bree Mclaren marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2014
Gravey
Gravey added it
Dec 15, 2013
Рози
Рози marked it as to-read
Oct 09, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
A World History Of Art Romanticism Neo-Classicism (Penguin Style and Civilization) The Companion Guide to Venice The Image of the Black in Western Art, Volume IV, Part 2,