Start by marking “Les Miserables” as Want to Read:
Les Miserables

Les Miserables

4.41 of 5 stars 4.41  ·  rating details  ·  1,907 ratings  ·  59 reviews
(Big Note Vocal Selections). 14 favorites from the Broadway sensation arranged for beginning pianists. Titles include: At the End of the Day * Bring Him Home * Castle on a Cloud * I Dreamed a Dream * In My Life * On My Own * Who Am I? * and more.
Published April 1st 1994 by Hal Leonard Publishing Corporation (first published July 1st 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Les Miserables, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Les Miserables

Gabrielle Martin
Gabi... is... obsessed... with... Javert... Aaaaak!
I just played Cosette in the musical, and I decided to read the non abridged book. Everyone told me not to, but I didn't listen and boy, am I glad!
I am in 7th grade and Les Miserables is the best book I have ever read. Jean Valjean is such a deep person to learn from and so are all of Victor Hugo's other characters. This book truly shows people the power of all kinds of love, and that what's "right" is not always "right" and "wrong" is not alway
Jared
Wow! What a such amazing book! I am sad to say that I only read the abridged version of Les Miserable. The full novel (over 1000 pages!!) was waaaayyyy too long for me, and Hugo went into such depth while explaining everything that it bored me. But the abridged version was fantastic! I saw the musical, and loved it even more. I have the piano book and I play out of it often.

My favorite character is Javert, because he is determind, and he is just all out amazing. Even though he is the bad guys.
Matt Moran
This musical masterpiece was adapted from Victor Hugo's novel, Les Miserables. The music delicately and gracefully retells the tale of an ex-convict Jean ValJean, and his extraordinary journey to redemption and peace. Not one note is missed, as every word goes hand in hand in creating the world, life, and adventures of Jean ValJean.

The story begins in 1815, France, although the book spans over a very long time. The protagonist, Jean ValJean, in pursued by Javert, an inspector, and police officia
Susannah
Kathleen
Has a lot of great songs from the show. Great for the nerd who really wishes she could sing "I Dreamed a Dream" and "On My Own." Super useful for home-alone showstopper belting.
Elizabeth Qualia
Being a singer and someone who loves musicals, of course I love this book. I bought a copy in England after I watched the Queens theater production of the show.
Jill
This book is more than just a read - it is a journey through the lives of many complicated characters as well as a journey for the reader himself.
Andi Norris
Jan 12, 2011 Andi Norris is currently reading it
Slow moving at first, but by page 85 it's a masterpiece. Worth the nearly 1500 pages.
Donielle
An amazing musical with a powerful message.
Aaron Rauschhuber
Les Miserables has to be one of the very best reads in its class. Hugo composed compelling prose which set the mind to thinking and the heart to feeling. Indeed, at times the eyes to weeping. The sheer depth of the characters and the themes reverberate in a seemingly endless echo of emotion and truth. There is a character for everyone to relate to, and really all the characters are relatable. That is one of the greatest strengths of the book. One cares for almost every character, or at least des ...more
Watoozi
I tried to read this book several times over several years, and (quite honestly) could never get past the bishop. Frankly, I was bored stiff.

Then I tried it again this year - and was astounded. I could not put this book down. Victor Hugo is a master with words. I found myself marking page after page - wanting to memorize whole paragraphs by heart, so I can call them up at a moment's notice. The characters - they breathe. The lessons and morals - they think and live and question.

I will admit tha
∞ Theresa
I rate the Les Miserables: Sheet Music five stars. I rate it this because the music is amazing, and it includes a storyboard. The storyboard in the beginning of the book is very helpful if you are not familiar with the story of Les Miserables. Also, the storyboard tells you the time period, and when the songs are in relative to the story. Pictures are also included of the characters, and scenery so you can visualize the entire story. The music is beautiful, and the lyrics fit the story perfectly ...more
Kate
From everything I'd head about the play, I was expecting more out of this book than I did. The author seemed to love to just talk and thought his readers wouldn't catch on-- or needed to hear the same story told at least two times. I understand getting a character's different perspective, but he didn't have to spend a whole other chapter explaining the exact same thing again. And Jean Valjean never looks/acts like himself-- did the author think we, as the readers, wouldn't figure out when it was ...more
Brendan Fugere
Absolutely love the music to this incredible play!
Chie Kawai
1.Publisher:Jenniger Bassett
Company:Oxford
Level:1

2.Time: 120min

3.poor,love,change,thief,war,escape,death

4.Do you want to change myself?
Yes. I have a passionate nature, so I make my friends bad feeling.
I want to change this charactor.

5.I like this story very much. I watched this movie once, so it was easy to understand. I'm impressed. Especially, the scene that Jean Valjean is getting better person.

Kika MacFarlane
SOB SOB MY face looks just like the girl's face on this cover. BUMMED. It's so darn long. Yes, it's okay...and an epic novel and all that, but we already read THE ILLIAD... SIGH. UGH. See you in a couple of months GoodReads pals, bc. after this it's finals. And, NO, no one asked me, or STRAW, or PLUM, or PEACH to prom either. Just an FYI. Pity party starts now... (insert violins and sad sad music here). WE are LES MISERABLES too.
Terri
OK so my book group decided to read the unabridged. I agreed. I was shocked to receive the book!!!! around 1200 pages with very small type (get out your glasses if you are over 40) I thought, "how am I going to read this book". Well one round trip flight to pittsburgh PA and I am 600 pages in and LOVING it!!!
Ruth Learn
THIS IS THE OTHER ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Brenda Cregor
"But the tigers come at night. With their voices soft as thunder, as they tear your hope apart, and they turn your dream to shame!"

Clang! Clang! Bash! Bang!---I don't care if I get the notes wrong and totally jack up the piano. I love belting out this tune!

GREAT MUSIC!
Amy
Great collection of hits from the show. I wouldn't buy it for performance since it's not voice-part-specific and there are many group songs/duets, but it's great if you just like to play for fun or for family. Has piano and vocal parts, and I believe also has guitar chords.
Sara
Easy to see why it is considered the "great French novel." The characters are complex, it is well written and it draws you into the psyche of its most famous character, Jean Valjean, who is seeking redemption and along the way becomes an 'angel' to others.
Alexis
This wonderful music, as well as being very true in it's representation of France during this time period.Which was during the early french revolution, pre-Bastille day. However, the music does not mean as much if you have not seen the musical for yourself.
Nicole Barney
I thought this was a pretty good book but it wasn't my favorite. I like books that are more happy and this one is kind of a downer. I think that it is a good book for alot of people though, just not me.
Heidi
I would consider myself well familiar with this book, able to play every song in the book now. Except for one song that I purposefully avoid because of its content, etc.
Rebecca
I first read this book at the same time I discovered the musical and cannot separate the two However, the book gives so much more foundation that there’s more to love!
Briana
I *used* to like Les Miserables...before my family got into it and set our cd player to repeat it over and over and over again..."One Day More" indeed...
Nicole
A great way to bring the music of Les Miserables to the average piano (and any other C instrument) player. Not the orchestral score though, so be prepared.
Jasmin
I was thinking of this book as I wandered through the bookstore today and remembered how much I loved it. Just adored it. Cosette haunted me forever...
Kbmaxwell Maxwell
Oct 06, 2010 Kbmaxwell Maxwell rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who can get through it
Currently reading and trying to keep from underlining too much, but there is so much wisdom in this book, along with very apt descriptions.
Does Les Miserables need a sequel? 3 10 Sep 25, 2014 12:55PM
  • Children's Songbook
  • Spring Awakening
  • Spring Awakening: In the Flesh
  • Grease
Les Miserables: Selections from the Movie Les Miserables: Easy Piano Martin Guerre - New Edition Vocal Selections Les Miserables - Instrumental Solos from the Movie: Cello Les Miserables - Piano Solo Songbook