Start by marking “Extras (Uglies, #4)” as Want to Read:
Extras (Uglies, #4)

Extras (Uglies #4)

3.59  ·  Rating Details ·  87,955 Ratings  ·  4,866 Reviews
[10 Discs, 11.75 hours, read by Carine Montbertrand]
In the a few years since Tally Youngblood dismantled the social structure based on uglies, pretties, and specials, a new order has emerged. Popularity is what matters now, and with cameras everywhere, all the world is a stage. People do whatever they want to get more votes from whoever's watching, and more votes means a h
Audio CD
Published 2007 by Recorded Books, LLC (first published May 10th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Extras, please sign up.

Lindsay Yes, the book was set in Asia (I think Japan?) about 3 years after Tally and the Diego war. I almost set it aside because I was expecting the others…moreYes, the book was set in Asia (I think Japan?) about 3 years after Tally and the Diego war. I almost set it aside because I was expecting the others in the beginning. I'm glad I kept reading because it did tie in eventually.(less)
Ju I think you could read this book on it's own. It is from a different pov than the trilogy and describes the world after what happened in the first 3…moreI think you could read this book on it's own. It is from a different pov than the trilogy and describes the world after what happened in the first 3 books. It is set in a different city with new technologies and the main character doesn't really know what happened in the first 3 books.(less)

Abby
Jan 01, 2008 Abby rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: teen, dystopia, sf
Like the other books in the Uglies trilogy, Extras is fun and a very fast read. I read this book in about 2 and 1/2 hours, pretty much non-stop.

However, Extras raised the same prickly issues for me that the other books in the series did. My years as a student steeped in cultural studies and gender theory make it pretty much impossible for me to read works of popular fiction without subjecting them to critical analysis, and Westerfeld's books certainly lend themselves to this sort of critique. E
Christina
I really struggled to finish this book, and I thought it was significantly worse than the others in the series. A lot of the dialogue was agonizingly stilted. The characters actually said things like "Not good!" and "uh, oh!" to react to approaching falling objects and other imminent bumps-on-the-head. AAAAAARGH. Those lines drive me crazy enough in movies. I was horrified to find them in a book.
At one point, characters from two different countries meet and have some communication difficulties.
Paige [eastIndies.]
Honestly, this book was kind of a disappointment. I liked how it was all accumulated around the Japanese society, but other than that, I was expecting much more of this book. In my opinion, Aya is a very whiny, self-absorbed suck up. I don't like the way Scott Westerfeld portrays Tally in this either because he renders her as a know-it-all b word, to say the least. Which, I don't think Tally has ever been. Her character is not put to justice in this book.
Kat (Lost in Neverland)
Ugh. Finally done.

This is how this book made me feel;

description

because it was such a disappointment.

and maybe a bit of this;

description

because it was so boring.

and also;

description

because...well, it fucking sucked.

I've noticed that I've been rating these 'Uglies' books in a pattern:

Uglies: 5 Stars
Pretties: 4 Stars
Specials: 3 Stars
Extras: 2 Stars

Too bad they don't have a fifth one. If that had sucked as bad as this one, I would have loved to give that a one star, then the pattern would be complete.
Emma
Jan 24, 2015 Emma rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
Extras is the fourth book in Scott Westerfeld's critically acclaimed, New York Times bestselling series (originally it was a trilogy). The first three books Uglies, Pretties, and Specials follow Tally Youngblood, a fifteen-year-old girl living in a futuristic world so dominated by plastic surgery that anyone who looks normal is ugly. Extras is set three years after the events of the trilogy unfold, in a different city, with different main characters. The trilogy, however, sets the framework for ...more
Kelly
Jan 30, 2009 Kelly rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
You know this book started out okay but it quickly went down hill. I was actually annoyed to see Tally in this one and her attitude. I mean this book was not about her so I don't understand why she HAD to be in it. I didn't like how she was portrayed at all. I also quickly got annoyed at Aya.

The Uglies series was my first exposure to Westerfeld and though I really liked Uglies and liked Pretties and pretty much liked Specials I gotta say i'm noticing a pattern with his characters. They all want
Christina
Finishing a series always makes me feel like I'm losing a friend. I've spent a good week or so reading these four books, absorbed in the pages and the characters and their lives, and now I just feel lonely.

Extras is set a few years after the huge finale of Specials, or the "mind-rain" as they now call it. It's also a bunch of new characters (although Tally, Shay, David and Fausto make a reappearance which I'm extremely happy about!), a new city, and a spanking new economy known as the "reputati
Bridget
I can't believe that I am finished with this series. (What to start on next, hmmm.)

This was my least favorite of the series. I really liked it for the first half. I liked Aya Fuse (cool name) and her brother, Hiro, and his friend, Ren. I liked the whole premise of popularity and fame being a commodity for living.

I can't believe that I am saying this, but I didn't really like Tally in this book! Once, she came on the scene, I thought the writing became very sloppy. The whole second half of the st
Clara
When is it ever a good idea to add a fourth installment to a trilogy?
Phoenix2
Jun 23, 2016 Phoenix2 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: uglies fans
Extras is not a Tally Youngblood story, but she appears in it. It takes place in Japan, where the economy is based on popularity. Aya Fuse wants to become famous by "kicking" a story that will attract everyone's attention, just like her brother, Hiro. So she goes undercover, and she stumbles on a very "kickable" story that will make her famous but also set her in danger.
To be honest, I liked Aya better than Tally. Tally was a great heroine and one of my favs in Uglies, but in Extras she is hard
Trin
May 28, 2008 Trin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, ya, american-lit
The fourth, surprise volume in the Uglies no-longer-a-trilogy. I liked this way more than Specials, the last book in the series (which I actually kind of hated). This novel doesn't center around Tally, the protagonist of the previous three books, but around a new character, Aya Fuse, who's growing up in a post-Pretties world. The Important Teen Topic Westerfeld is tackling this time is fame, not beauty, as following Tally's act of liberation, the world has evolved into one where wealth and soc ...more
Mery
Sep 11, 2013 Mery rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I am just going to pretend that this book doesn't exist! ALIENS????? ALIENS??????? ALIENS?????????? That's a cruel joke. I got so pissed I erased it off my Kindle.It's one of the few books I have abandoned in my life but it was spoiling the thrill and excitement that had built up in me. It's such a disappointing ending to the Uglies series - as if a completely different person came up with it. Even the writing is not at paar with the previous books. The action is abrupt. At one moment the charac ...more
Sam
May 24, 2014 Sam rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Can I give this no stars?

What was that? What was the purpose of this book? Ugh. I kind if hated Aya. She was whiny and no matter what situation came up, no matter how dire, ALL SHE CARED ABOUT WAS IF HER CAMERA WAS CATCHING IT. All she cared about was being a kicker. And what happened to Tally? She just seemed really annoyed the whole time, and not anything like her previous self. The plot, I felt, was also pretty loose. It's just about a fame obsessed girl who finds out about these "freaks" th
Jul 29, 2012 Sarah rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Sorry, Scott. I'm gonna have to throw in the towel this time. I just give up. I loved all of your other books (Peeps, Uglies, Pretties, Specials, the Midnighters series) but I just can't, and I mean CAN'T, understand how this book wormed its way into existence.

Why, Scott? Why?

Why make such a despicable protagonist? You know, I actually felt antagonistic towards Aya, so I don't think the term "protagonist" even applies. I tried to love her, and try I did. But try as I might, I JUST HATED HER GUTS
Izlinda
Andrea ❤Ninja Bunneh❤
So,

*******Spoilers ahead******although not many since I don't feel like writing much about this fuckery*******

Welcome to the world of Aya Tally 2.0. Aya has one focus in life which is to become famous. In the new post-Tally world (of Japan), the goal is to become as noticed as you can. Think of it as YouTubers being ranked according to how many hits they get. The higher the hits, the more famous you are. Fame gets you out of being any type of normal productive member of society. You just run aro
Darbus
Dec 29, 2008 Darbus rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Colleen Houck
I think this novel was so creative. The constant monitoring of your stats reminds me of all the stuff I do with Facebook and Twitter and blogging. It's easy to see how this could happen in the future. What a strange world.
Caryn
There is an interesting arc to my appreciation of Extras.

I wasn't so sure at first. The girl on the front is obviously not Tally Youngblood, and so I was rather nervous about starting a Westerfeld book that wasn't about Tally Youngblood. But start it I did, and for the first half or so I was in young adult fiction bliss.

Extras does it all right when it comes to futuristic fiction with a bit of a social commentary. Insert Aya Fuse, a fifteen-year-old in post-mind-rain (see Specials) Japan, where
I would give this 2.5
It was no where near as good as Uglies-though it was just as enjoyable as 'Specials'.
If you're a fan of the original three books, I strongly recommend reading this one as well!
If you thought the first three were just so-so, then give this one a miss.
Airiz C
Think of an ultramodern city where everything that matters is fame and reputation. Think about a society where everyone can be “kickers” or journalists, where everyone can be “tech-heads” or inventors, where everyone can be “surge-monkeys” and undergo as many surgeries as they can in the name of fashion. Think of a city swathed in big futuristic bubble, eyed 24/7 by a mechanical Big Brother.

Sounds like the world just became a blown-up version of American Idol, eh?

Extras, the fourth installment i
Peter Meredith
Despite that Extras was written for an audience of teenage girls I rather enjoyed it. It was a quick, easy read that kept me interested as it moved splendidly along...until we came nigh of its conclusion and then the floor sort of just dropped out of the story.
*Here there be spoilers*
The story revolves around Aya Fuse, who at the tender age of fifteen is desperate for attention--fame being the only way to become rich in the city of the future's "Reputation Economy."
You heard that right.
I know
Cathy
Dec 05, 2010 Cathy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Okay, this is the very LAST book I am going to read by Scott Westerfeld! I love his dystopic world in the future with all the imaginative people and ways to be. His mysteries and conflicts which send the protagonists, whether they are uglies, pretties, specials, or extras, are quite exciting and keep you reading to see the solution. But the last two books, Specials and Extras, have now put him into the writing genre of Eco-Novelist. His message of it would be better to change your body to a zero ...more
Cara
Jan 30, 2016 Cara rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!*
AWESOME!!! :D
I was sooooo excited when I found out there was a fourth book, although it took me forever to get my hands on it; I'm so glad that I did! I liked the way Westerfeld combined the new characters w/ the characters from uglies/pretties/specials. OMG, and the very end made me SO HAPPY XD lol.
Jessica
Nov 16, 2014 Jessica rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This series definitely should have stopped with the third book. I enjoyed the series until this book, and then it just got ridiculous. Alien creatures, really? COME ON. The entire plot was so over the top and unbelievable, I was just waiting for it to be over. So disappointed that the author got greedy trying to make more money and threw this terrible book together.
Ahmad Sharabiani
Extras (Uglies #4), Scott Westerfeld
Navi
Jul 23, 2011 Navi rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult, sci-fi
Jess Zahra
Jun 22, 2016 Jess Zahra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am so proud of you Scott - you have FINALLY learned, after 3 whole books of trial and error, how to grasp the fine art of writing for the young adult genre! Congratz!!

description

I am so pleased that my investment in this series paid off - eventually.

Extras was significantly more enjoyable than its predecessors. The plot was executed much better, the characters actually had a bit of development and there was a satisfying ending with no loopholes.
I think that the reason that I enjoyed this novel so much m
YA Buddy Readers'...: Extras (Uglies #4) by Scott Westerfeld - Restarting August 8th 2016 36 69 Aug 12, 2016 11:48AM
Would you live here? 2 7 Sep 11, 2015 03:44PM
YA Apocalyptic an...: April 2015: Extras by Scott Westerfeld. 3 14 Apr 25, 2015 08:02AM
Aya Fuse or Tally Youngblood? 74 323 Feb 15, 2015 06:46AM
  • Crashed (Cold Awakening, #2)
  • Among the Enemy (Shadow Children, #6)
  • The Bar Code Rebellion (Bar Code, #2)
  • The Resistance (The Declaration, #2)
  • Truth (XVI, #2)
  • The Keepers of the Flame (Fire-us, #2)
  • The Dark and Hollow Places (The Forest of Hands and Teeth, #3)
  • Magic's Child (Magic or Madness, #3)
  • Endurance (Razorland, #1.5)
  • Hunger (Gone, #2)
  • The Sweet Far Thing (Gemma Doyle, #3)
  • Sever (The Chemical Garden, #3)
  • Red is for Remembrance (Blue is for Nightmares, #4)
  • Outside In (Insider, #2)
  • In the Age of Love and Chocolate (Birthright, #3)
  • Valiant: A Modern Faerie Tale (Modern Faerie Tales, #2)
Scott Westerfeld is a New York Times bestselling author of YA. He was born in the Texas and now lives in Sydney and New York City. In 2001, Westerfeld married fellow author Justine Larbalestier.

He is best know for the Uglies and Leviathan series, and his next book, Afterworlds, comes out September 23, 2014.

His book Evolution's Darling was a New York Times Notable Book, and won a Special Citation f
More about Scott Westerfeld...

Uglies (4 books)