Start by marking “The Age of Chivalry (Bulfinch's Medieval Mythology)” as Want to Read:
The Age of Chivalry (Bulfinch's Medieval Mythology)

The Age of Chivalry (Bulfinch's Medieval Mythology)

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  678 ratings  ·  10 reviews
This masterpiece of history and fable recounts the timeless tales of Arthur and the Round Table, and discusses the historical events and the worldview of the civilization that created them.
Kindle Edition
Published (first published 1858)

To ask other readers questions about The Age of Chivalry, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Age of Chivalry

9) The Adventure of the Cart
10) The Lady of Shalott
11) Queen Guenever's Peril
12) Tristram and Isoude
13) Tristram and Isoude (continued)
14) Sir Tristram's Battle with Sir Lancelot
15) The Round Table
16) Sir Palamedes
17) Sir Tristram
18) Perceval
19) The Sangreal, or Ho
Ensiform
This edition included a third section on "The Knights of English History" by Edward Everett Hale, added 17 years after Bullfinch's death. There was also a short into by Beryl Rowland. The two parts by Bullfinch were about King Arthur and his men, Tristam and Isolde and the quest for the Holy Grail (or Sangreal); and tales from the Mabinogeon, "tales" in Welsh.

I found the latter section to be the most fascinating, because the characters within were so human and humorous. The tale of Owain's roman
Jake
Ok, to be fair i am not much of a King Arthur type of guy so maybe this book wasn't for me to begin with, but with that said, I found the writing boring, the stories a little hard to follow, and the magic of the the legend not even there. I did learn a few things about King Arthur and the Round Table but wasn't much impressed with Bulfinch's description of it. I know this book is a holy grail (pun intended) to chivalry lovers but i don't think this book is for much anybody else.
Kellylynn
Took me a long time to read this. The first section was rough with all of the battles. But I rather enjoyed reading about Charlemagne. Most of those stories were not like I expected them to be.

Also the stories of Robin Hood were rather raw and completely full of battles, more so than expected.
Heather
I didn't finish reading it--it's too dry. It's a good reference book and it could be helpful if you needed to brush up on any Arthurian stories, but it's just so boring that it doesn't matter how many times you re-read a passage, you can be sure to fall asleep.
Jackie
Dry, no excitement. Not a big fan of Bullfinch. However, it is concise and gives the information on the myths.
Depending on what you are looking for, an interesting read or information, will determine whether or not you like it.
Danielle
interesting, although a bit crusty at times. i couldn't keep track of who was doing what, as various persons were presented in something of a blur. but i like reading on knights and chivalry and machismo.
Mike (the Paladin)
Again, not the edition I have.

Good read. Nice introduction to the ledgends of Arthur and the age of chivalry. Especially for young readers this is good.
Julie Unruh
It gives you theories, myth's, or the truth, what ever you believe. Got great names from that book for the character's in my stories.
Tana
Enjoying this because it is bringing me "up to speed" on English mythology and such. My eyes are being opened. :)
Jennifer Gott
Jennifer Gott marked it as to-read
Oct 29, 2014
Christina Barrett
Christina Barrett marked it as to-read
Oct 26, 2014
Molly Harty
Molly Harty marked it as to-read
Oct 26, 2014
Suzanne
Suzanne marked it as to-read
Oct 25, 2014
William Schram
William Schram marked it as to-read
Oct 23, 2014
Newreadman
Newreadman marked it as to-read
Oct 23, 2014
Camsshel
Camsshel marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2014
Debbie
Debbie marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2014
Rebekah
Rebekah marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2014
Andrew Appleton
Andrew Appleton marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2014
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2014
Alfred
Alfred marked it as to-read
Oct 14, 2014
L.A. Little
L.A. Little marked it as to-read
Oct 13, 2014
Miranda Kalhorn
Miranda Kalhorn marked it as to-read
Oct 10, 2014
Josefina Myrman
Josefina Myrman marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2014
Kiana
Kiana marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2014
  • Tanglewood Tales: A Wonder-Book for Girls and Boys
  • Sylvie and Bruno Concluded
  • Myths & Legends of the British Isles
  • Faeries (Magical Worlds of Fantasy)
  • Lancelot: The Knight of the Cart
  • Hrafnkel's Saga and Other Icelandic Stories
  • Children of the Frost
  • Chivalry
  • The Unabridged Mark Twain
Bulfinch's Mythology The Age of Fable Bulfinch's Mythology: The Age of Chivalry/Legends of Charlemagne Golden Age of Myth & Legend (Wordsworth Reference) Legends of Charlemagne