Start by marking “Oh Pray My Wings Are Gonna Fit Me Well” as Want to Read:
Oh Pray My Wings Are Gonna Fit Me Well

Oh Pray My Wings Are Gonna Fit Me Well

3.96  ·  Rating Details  ·  194 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
This collection of thirty-six poems is, once again, eloquent evidence of Maya Angelou's continuing celebration of life: Here are poems of love and memory; poems of racial confrontation; songs of the street and songs from the heart.
Published August 12th 1975 by Random House (first published 1975)

To ask other readers questions about Oh Pray My Wings Are Gonna Fit Me Well, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Oh Pray My Wings Are Gonna Fit Me Well

Cornerofmadness
Feb 16, 2012 Cornerofmadness added it
Shelves: poetry
I wanted to read something by an African-American author for Black History month and what is readily available here (in genres that don’t make me want to run screaming) were three mystery authors, including Al Roker and Blair Underwood, neither of which write things I enjoy. Then it occurred to me, I hadn’t reread Maya Angelou in ages so I grabbed this book of the shelf.

The book I divided into several parts but in my eyes, it’s really two parts: the struggles and pain of relationship and lonelin
Sarah Ansani
A book of poetry highly inspired by her life in Africa, it is interesting to see her craft become more practiced with each book she writes. These poems relish in her street life, as well. I particularly liked the poem "Communication I". I find myself having a difficult time writing this review because not many of the poems were very memorable. I can sense her urgency to "write/of lovers false/and hate/and hateful wrath/quickly". I found it difficult to be emotionally involved with this book. Whe ...more
Andy Hickman
“Oh Pray My Wings Are Gonna Fit Me Well” by May Angelou.

Maya Angelou writes her poetry with lateral thought, or more like sub-lateral thinking with perspectives from the underside. James Baldwin describes her work as, “Black, bitter and beautiful, she speaks of our survival.”
My favourite poem in this book is “Take Time Out” which challenges our acceptance of the status quo and suggests that “we'd better see.” The latter half of the poems goes:

Use a minute
feel some sorrow
for the folks
who think to
missy jean
Nov 17, 2008 missy jean rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
I heard Maya Angelou read once, years ago, in Salt Lake City... one of the most amazing literary experiences of my life. I have never forgotten the timbre of her voice, and remembering it makes me love her poetry even more. I think Maya Angelou's poems are better suited for the human voice than for the printed page.
Christina
Jan 02, 2009 Christina rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009-reads
Scott Whitney
Nov 02, 2015 Scott Whitney rated it really liked it
There are many poems in this collection which strike a cord in me. There is a lot of passion in this book and there is a lot of introspection.
Linda
Dec 30, 2014 Linda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Maya Angelou had such a way of writing. Not every poem touched me but she sure could paint a picture with words.
Zoey Wyn
Mar 13, 2015 Zoey Wyn rated it it was ok
I've liked other poetry collections by Maya Angelou more than this one.
Cassie Eacker
Book #13 completed for Book Riot Challenge:"A collection of poetry" Maya Angelou is master of words and emotions. This was the most inspiring and beautiful 1 hour's worth of reading (due to many many interruptions and re-reading a few selections that really hit me).
Mike Jensen
“Song of the Old Ones” is a brilliant poem. I found nothing else in Angelou’s second book worth reading. There is less of the anger that I liked about her first book, the rhymes are just as trite, poetic conceits seem commonplace and so do the ways she expresses herself, at least most of the time. The thing I like most about this book is that it is short. Either I am blind to something wonderful, or Angelou will blossom into greatness in a latter book.
Margaret Sisu
Jan 16, 2012 Margaret Sisu rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Maya Angelou will always be one of my favorite poets, not because of awards she has garnered, but simply because she reaches into the human and female souls and guides her finger unflailingly and unfailing straight to their pulse.
Vickie
Nov 07, 2013 Vickie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I do love Maya's poems. This was an audio book so the enjoyment of her poems was enhanced by the author reading them herself! Wonderful.
Pamela(AllHoney)
Found this at the library. There were a few poems I liked but overall it just wasn't my cup of tea.
Thaomy
Jul 11, 2008 Thaomy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The inspiration for a majority of my creative writing in high school. Maya Angelou rocks my world.
Corey Regalado
Feb 09, 2012 Corey Regalado rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Poignant set of poems. My favorite is "Wonder."
Joanne
Jan 03, 2009 Joanne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I go back to this often.
Sherri
Sherri rated it it was amazing
May 01, 2016
Lori
Lori marked it as to-read
May 01, 2016
Meg121475
Meg121475 rated it really liked it
Apr 28, 2016
Marsha Jones
Marsha Jones marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2016
Sladjana
Sladjana marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2016
Fatemeh M
Fatemeh M marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2016
Jen
Jen marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2016
Pat Winter
Pat Winter marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2016
Rebekah
Rebekah rated it liked it
Mar 23, 2016
Irma
Irma marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2016
Sarah rated it it was amazing
Mar 09, 2016
Shateik Butler
Shateik Butler rated it it was amazing
Letitia
Letitia marked it as to-read
Salina Shahi
Salina Shahi marked it as to-read
  • Kissing God Goodbye: Poems 1991-1997
  • Selected Poems
  • Homegirls and Handgrenades
  • My House
  • The Marvelous Arithmetics of Distance: Poems, 1987-1992
  • ANTIGRAVITY PROPULSION: Human or Alien Technologies? (The Underground Knowledge Series, #2)
  • Beginning with O
  • Many Thousand Gone: African Americans from Slavery to Freedom
  • A Man Most Worthy
  • The Best Loved Poems of Jacqueline Kennedy-Onassis
  • Jung on Mythology
Maya Angelou, born Marguerite Ann Johnson April 4, 1928 in St. Louis, Missouri, was an American poet, memoirist, actress and an important figure in the American Civil Rights Movement. In 2001 she was named one of the 30 most powerful women in America by Ladies Home Journal. Maya Angelou is known for her series of six autobiographies, starting with I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings, (1969 which was n ...more
More about Maya Angelou...

“The gold of her promise
has never been mined

Her borders of justice
not clearly defined

Her crops of abundance
the fruit and the grain

Have not fed the hungry
nor eased that deep pain

Her proud declarations
are leaves on the wind

Her southern exposure
black death did befriend

Discover this country
dead centuries cry

Erect noble tablets
where none can decry

"She kills her bright future
and rapes for a sou

Then entraps her children
with legends untrue"

I beg you

Discover this country

from America”
1 likes
“I couldn't tell fact from fiction
or if my dream was true,
The only sure prediction
in this whole word was you.
I'd touched your features inchly,
heard love and dared the cost.
The scented speil reeled me unreal
and found my senses lost.

from Senses of Insecurity”
0 likes