What Do You Do When Something Wants To Eat You?

What Do You Do When Something Wants To Eat You?

4.17 of 5 stars 4.17  ·  rating details  ·  131 ratings  ·  28 reviews
What would you do if something wanted to eat you? Walk on water? Stick out your tongue? Play dead? Animals in the wild use all kinds of methods to protect themselves from their enemies. Using dynamic and intricate cut-paper collages, Steve Jenkins explores the many fascinating and unique defense mechanisms creatures use to escape from danger.
Published September 24th 2001 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about What Do You Do When Something Wants To Eat You?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What Do You Do When Something Wants To Eat You?

Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakTurtle Wish by Murielle CyrLove You Forever by Robert MunschThe Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleThe Tale of Peter Rabbit by Beatrix Potter
Best Books for a New Child's Library
147th out of 263 books — 151 voters
George's Secret Key to the Universe by Lucy HawkingIf You Lived Here by Giles LarocheBalloons Over Broadway by Melissa SweetChemistry by April Chloe TerrazasSnowflake Bentley by Jacqueline Briggs Martin
Best Children's Nonfiction
151st out of 166 books — 45 voters

More lists with this book...

Kaethe
Every week I try to find a favorite children's author, and grab whatever picture books are available. Just to keep my hand in, and to see what new work the author has done since I stopped reading picture books aloud. This week it was Jenkins, whose art is so compelling.

***

I really love Jenkin's art, which is only funny because I don't care for Carle at all. Anyway, fun book of factoids of defensive methods of the animal world. Good choice for a kid who likes nonfiction.

Library copy.
Kellee
Full review at: http://www.unleashingreaders.com/?p=2903

Steve Jenkins just has a way of making nonfiction more interesting than other authors, and this book is no different than his others. This book takes different animals and shows the different ways they protect themselves: from squirting ink to camouflage. The illustrations are done in Steve Jenkins’s paper-cut style and are done as well as his other books. The text, though simple, is full of information and definitely makes the reader want...more
Linda
This book from Steve Jenkins is alive with examples of animal response to danger, some camouflage, but many actions too. The illustrations are created in Jenkins’ usual collages, and the information is both informative and inviting. When reading, I immediately wanted to know more! One example: A hover fly protects itself from predator by mimicking a wasp which birds don’t like to eat. It’s a good beginner’s book is animal survival, adaptation.
Cemeread
The title pretty much says it with this book. One page shows the animals giving it's name and a few words more and the next how it escapes. Most of the animals have unusual ways of escaping predators which makes this one especially fun. image the ooh and cool exclamations from the audience. The illustrations are the typical wonderful color filled paper collages Steve Jenkins ahs made famous.

preschool and up
Deborah
In Robb's book, Teaching Nonfiction Writing, there is a quote from David Quammen about good nonfiction finding the intersection between what's interesting and what's important. This book is a good example of that. It tells what animals do to protect themselves, but it finds the most interesting protective responses found in nature. Then the author explains them in two ways that I think are effective: first he sets up the beginning of the sentence with the animal and the potential threat. . . but...more
Mrs. Knott
Steve Jenkins does not go wrong. I love the simple pattern of the animal and illustration on one side and the way the animal avoids its predator on the other side. Love the last page, Jenkins poses the question "What would you do if something wanted to eat you?"
Krista Vogt
This was a great picture book that tells about different wild animals and what different defense techniques they use to defend from the predators that try to eat them. The book shows through pictures predators that creep up on their prey and then the text describes what the prey does to defend themselves. Jenkins does a wonderful job showing and explaining the various wild animals.
This picture book is a great book for students to learn more about the various wild animals and their predator. The...more
Jodi
I love Steve Jenkins' artwork, and the subject matter is always interesting and educational as well. This one wasn't as good as some of his others -- I missed the descriptions of the animals he usually includes in the last pages, and I thought the glass snake losing his tail was actually a bit disturbing. But there were also some fascinating tidbits: the pangolin can roll itself into an armor-plated ball to protect itself, and the flying fish can glide as far as a thousand feet!
Cindi
Amazing! Love it! With each animal example, you are introduced to the animal on one page and then must turn the page to see what that animal does in defense or offense. It was fun to read with the kids because I could ask them if they knew what that particular animal did. Sometimes they knew and sometimes not. As always, some really amazing facts from Steve Jenkins, represented by his excellent art work!
Jessica Lowery
Each page of this vivid book shows a predator species and a prey species; each page highlights a defense mechanism in the prey and teaches readers how animals adapt to survive. Jenkins uses an illustration technique that looks like cut paper scrap collage; I think it’s really effective. The colors are bold and the contrast is very strong.
Karen
Steven Jenkins hasn't failed us yet. A non-fiction book has definitely done it's job when the reader wants to explore the topic more, which is exactly what happened here- when he finished, Hugh wanted to find out more about the bombardier beetle and the "Jesus Christ" lizard. Love it when a book sparks a kid's curiosity.
Susan
Like all of Steve Jenkins' books, his illustrations and ability to choose obscure and interesting animals really engage readers. A great book to talk about animal adaptations, camouflage, and the food chain. The book ends with the question: what would you do if something wanted to eat you?
Krystal
Linc liked this one, but it was a little over his head. I think it could have been better if they'd chosed to use photographs instead of illistrations, and also showed a before and after picture. Still good and informative though. But I do think Linc will like it better in a few years.
Sue Pak
I think this is a cute book.
This book shows paper collage illustrations so it's appealing to the eyes.
I would use this book to have a lesson on survival/extinction.

This could also be used to branch out onto food webs/food chains.
Grades 1-3.
Naomi
Nov 16, 2011 Naomi added it
Shelves: animals, science
An interesting book on preditors and prey in the animal kingdom. It shows how the animals defend themselves. This would be a good starting point to learn more about these animals.
Carol Royce Owen
A great non-fiction book by Steve Jenkins. Rates right up there with What Do You Do With a Tail Like That, this book shares great facts about what animals do when they are in danger.
Cassie
Angela
Grade: 2-5
Topic: survival, food chain

This book looks at the many different techniques and strategies animals have developed over time that help with their safety and survival.
Ashley Massa
Picture Book 37
Another great nonfiction picture book! Very informative in telling what different animals do to escape being attacked by prey. Fun and colorful pictures, too!
Matthew
Setting aside the humorous title, this is a great piece of children's nonfiction that anyone could enjoy and would be especially entertaining to children. Nicely done.
Sydney
Wonderful text to compliment a lesson on the food chain or animal adaptations. Could be a little long for younger students but beneficial for so much information.
Kristiina Hurme
Feb 21, 2011 Kristiina Hurme rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents, biologist, artists
Recommended to Kristiina by: amazon
wonderful art with great accurate natural history!! i love it and have ordered even more Steve Jenkins books! seem great for kids!! i love it!
Angie
Steve Jenkins writes amazing non-fiction books for your animal lover children. I love him!
Ladonna
I love this book. It has interesting facts about how an animal protects itself from danger.
Michelle
Love Steve Jenkins...love cut paper collage...and I actually learn things from his books.
Janine Weston
What Do You Do When Something Wants to Eat You? by Steve Jenkins (K-3 NF)
Marissa Garcia
Steve Jenkins brings us another marvelous book of non-fiction.
Jen
Jun 02, 2012 Jen added it
Shelves: pb
cute!
Natalie Jenkins
Natalie Jenkins marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2014
  • Owen and Mzee: The True Story of a Remarkable Friendship
  • Saving Sweetness
  • Raising Dragons
  • Outside Your Window: A First Book of Nature
What Do You Do With a Tail Like This? Actual Size The Beetle Book Bones: Skeletons and How They Work Down, Down, Down: A Journey to the Bottom of the Sea