Start by marking “The Wind on the Moon” as Want to Read:
The Wind on the Moon

The Wind on the Moon

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  425 ratings  ·  35 reviews
Winner of the Carnegie Medal

In the English village of Midmeddlecum, Major Palfrey asks his two daughters to behave themselves while he is off at war. Sighs Dinah, "I think that we are quite likely to be bad, however hard we try not to be," and her sister Dorinda adds helpfully, "Very often, when we think we are behaving well, some grown-up person says we are really quite b
Published June 30th 2004 by New York Review of Books (first published January 1st 1944)

To ask other readers questions about The Wind on the Moon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Wind on the Moon

The Little White Horse by Elizabeth GoudgePippi Longstocking by Astrid LindgrenMake Way for Ducklings by Robert McCloskeyThe Hundred Dresses by Eleanor EstesBetsy-Tacy by Maud Hart Lovelace
Best Children's Books of the 1940s
11th out of 95 books — 17 voters
The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. LewisHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingThe Hobbit by J.R.R. TolkienCharlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald DahlSwitch! The Lost Kingdoms of Karibu by Karen  Prince
Best Children's Fantasy
202nd out of 548 books — 823 voters

More lists with this book...

I read this firstly when I was in my last year in Junior school. I absolutely loved it then. When I met my now husband, I found out he had read it in school and loved it too, so we bought a copy and read it again. It had lost none of its charm and we both really enjoyed it despite being in our twenties. I would urge any parent or teacher to encourage children to read this book which is clever, bewitching and very funny!

PS. I bought a first edition of The Wind on the Moon for my husband for a sp
Maria Elmvang
My school library back in primary school had this book, and it was one of my absolute favourite books. I think I must have taken it out about once every 6 months on average. Then I left primary school, and somehow didn't think about it in years. When my grandparents died, I inherited their copy of the book, but just never got around to rereading it. All in all, I think it's been 15-20 years since I read it last.

Somehow I got thinking about it recently, and got an urge to reread it. I was a tiny
This was not what I was expecting! I picked it up at the library, intrigued by the cover first and illustrations second. I assumed I would be reading a story of British school-girl highjinks during WWII. ..... And it was ..... Kind of.

The adventures in which Dinah and Dorinda find themselves are totally fantastical. Even more so because Linklater writes about these 2 young girls turning into kangaroos as if it were the usual thing to write about...and even the usual thing to do.

There are talki
I read this out loud to my kiddos and we really enjoyed it! Even my 7 year old begged to listen to it! They giggled a lot and enjoyed trying to see if they could figure out the mysteries, or figure out how they would get out of certain situations. An enjoyable thing to read all together.
Another great title from this excellent series put out by the NY Review of Books.
This starts off a bit stodgy, and it feels as if it started as one of those "tell me a
story, Daddy" things that somehow, in the 30s and 40s, got turned into books.
Don't try that today - it won't work. But the two heroines are engaging, real, funny
and brave. Their adventures fall into two distinct stories, one in a zoo and the other
in Mittel-Europa, where they rescue their father from a dungeon. A pair of Crimean-War
Katy Noyes
These books really need reissuing again. Lately the well-known ones (Wizard of Oz, Treasure Island, Anne of Green Gables) have been spruced up for a new generation with some lovely covers. The Wind on the Moon and others like it need the same. It's every bit the classic the three mentioned are. But it won't stand a chance unless a lucky child has a parent who remembers it from childhood.

I only discovered it after seeing it won the Carnegie back in the 1940s and decided to try it. And it's perfec
At the start of The Wind on the Moon, Dinah and Dorinda are watching their father, Major Palfrey, pack his trunk: he's getting ready to go to war. He tells them to be good while he's gone, but no one's very sure the girls will be able to: Major Palfrey says the ring of mist around the moon outside the window is a dangerous sign:
'There is a wind on the moon,' he said. 'I don't like the look of it at all. When there is wind on the moon, you must be very careful how you behave. Because if it is an
I don't think it unreasonable to couple this book with Alice. Both weave fictional and impossible worlds that reveal a great deal about our own world when explored by headstrong female juvenile leads. Both take time to make philosophical observations about the world and how we can know it. Epistemology, metaphysics and logic all get a runaround in here, as does philosophy of education and political philosophy. One of the main themes is freedom and confinement, both in terms of imprisonment (ofte ...more
Miriam Wakerly
Written during World War II this children's classic took me back to my childhood, not because I was alive at that time but I remember reading and loving this book in the 1950s. I was probably about 8 or 9, not sure. I could remember the two girls turning into kangaroos, and having adventures with their friend the Puma, but the rest just rang faint bells as I re-read it as an adult. What an imagination Eric Linklater had! Loved it all over again.
"The Wind on the Moon is a wartime book - it was published in 1944 - and it dwells on those elements of life in short supply or under threat in Britain, such as food, and liberty, and fun. It is not a prisoner of the time, though, and one of its delights is the cavalier way in which Linklater swings between pure fantasy and the everyday made fantastic."

James Meek in the Guardian

Mar 03, 2011 Logan marked it as to-read
Shelves: to-buy
WHY: I'm currently picking through the New York Review's children's re-issues and this sounded good. "In the English village of Midmeddlecum, Major Palfrey asks his two daughters to behave themselves while he is off at war. Sighs Dinah, 'I think that we are quite likely to be bad, however hard we try not to be,' and her sister Dorinda adds helpfully, 'Very often, when we think we are behaving well, some grown-up person says we are really quite bad. It's difficult to tell which is which.' A tale ...more
I read this when I was little, with my mom, I remember that I thought that it was very good then. Now I've kind of forgotten it so I think I might read it again.
I read this when I was about 10 or 12 I think. I absolutely loved it. But I can't remember many details.
Julie Greenstreet
Read it as a child and loved it then read it to my children loved it then will read it to my Grandchildren
Esmeralda Billinghurst
Jan 10, 2015 Esmeralda Billinghurst rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Kids 8-12
I adored this book when I was younger, reread it several times.
This was my favourite book as a young child and it's just such an adorable and charming story about two sisters and their adventures.
It's nothing like you would imagine when you first pick up the book, but i promise that it is a joy to read it even as an adult.
Jenny Gustafsson
Apr 03, 2015 Jenny Gustafsson added it
Shelves: 2015
Omläsning, går inte att betygsätta nu 30 år senare :-)
Someone recommended this book as the best children's book she ever read. I was disappointed. Very childish plot, characters that did not appeal to me at all. Looked like parody about children books by very bad author.
Lisa Houlihan
Dec 08, 2014 Lisa Houlihan marked it as to-read
GR link
Kathy Hale
This was a very silly dated book.
The first section of the book took some getting used to, with what I'll describe as some brutal absurdity. Once I got used to the characterizations common to the earlier 20th century (a la Three Stooges, Red Skelton, etc.), the story turned largely away from pathetic protagonists into Homeric heroines. It was ultimately an uniquely narrated caper that I found enjoyable.
I read this for the first time when I was 8, and I loved it. A few years later, I bought my own copy and read it again. I loved it none less. (But the book had somehow mysteriously got thinner, even if it was the exact same content. Probably an illusion since I had gotten used to thicker books during the years, but I don't know...)
It's quite beautiful this book.
I loved this book. (I have a hard time rating books 4 or 5?) It was published in 1944. One of the reviews said it belonged beside "Alice in Wonderland", "The Jungle Book," and "Wind in the Willows." I haven't actually read any of those - so I couldn't say! But I am looking forward to trying out more of The New York Review Children's Collection.
Sofia Jernberg
This is probably the book I remember most vividly from when I was a child. It's just amazing, I think I must have read it five times at least. I adore how it's several stories in one, and how much you learn about being human reading it. I don't think I'll ever forget it.
I love this book, and I loved it 50 years ago. Dinah and Dorinda, the best of role models. There are some sad parts, unfortunately. Some of the books I read or heard read as a child made such an impression, in terms of brilliance of idea, and this is one of them.
A lovely, absurd story - and I have to wonder why I never read it when I was actually a kid (the length wouldn't have put me off and I was a frequent visitor to the local library, I can't imagine it wasn't there)!
This book is meant to be read on lazy summer days. It is full of adventure and mischief. The pace is a little slow, but a patient young reader will be rewarded with a thrilling ending.
Qiana King
It was a good read. I don't know whether the more in the book is silliness or fun, but it had it's faults.
As far as I can recall, this was one of The Great Books of my childhood. I have to re-read it someday soon!
  • The Little Book Room
  • Uncle
  • The Turbulent Term of Tyke Tiler
  • The Haunting
  • The Family from One End Street: And Some of Their Adventures
  • The Little Grey Men
  • Circus Shoes (Shoes, #3)
  • Mistress Masham's Repose