My False Heart (Lorimer Family & Clan Cameron, #1)

My False Heart (Lorimer Family & Clan Cameron #1)

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  641 ratings  ·  33 reviews
When Elliot Armstrong, the dissolute marquis of Rannoch, pursues a spiteful mistress into the wilds of Essex to sever their relationship, he is surprised to find himself hopelessly lost -- in more ways than one. Inexplicably drawn to a warmly fit house along an isolated country lane, he is mistaken for an overdue guest -- but he dares not reveal his identity for fear of be...more
Published November 1st 1999 by Pocket Books

To ask other readers questions about My False Heart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My False Heart

Keri
Loved this! I really enjoyed Elliot and Evangeline's story. Elliot decides one night that he is going to break it off with his mistress that night. Only problem is, she is in the country and it is pouring rain. No matter, he takes off on his horse after her. Once he realizes he is lost, he decides to stop and ask for directions.(This is where you know it is fiction, because as we know, men don't ask for directions, when they can drive around and waste gas instead.)

When the door is opened they h...more
Kathy
I tried. Really, I did. I am definitely not one to endure pages and pages of a character pondering all their conflicting thoughts. It's confusing. I definitely like to get into the head of a character to understand where they're coming from but this read didn't give me that. I was like "OK, already!!"

This was also one of those where the hero was huge, in all respects, and the heroine, a small wee thing, realized that if she were to get close, her head would match the place where his heart was a...more
Julianna
Aug 24, 2008 Julianna rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Regency Romance Fans
Reviewed for www.thcreviews.com

"4.5 stars" My False Heart was the first book Liz Carlyle wrote and the first book by her that I have read. All I could think of throughout the story and especially after finishing it was that if this is her debut novel, I can't wait to see what else she has to offer in her later works. Ms. Carlyle wrote two absolutely wonderful characters in Elliot and Evangeline, as well as a full complement of secondary characters from friends and relatives to servants. I loved...more
Crista
I have heard raves about this book and this author. I bought this book and several others by Carlyle "knowing" that I had found another gem author. Boy I tried to like this book...I struggled through each chapter hoping the next would get better...it didn't. I read for enjoyment and the words "struggle" and "tried" should not be on my radar when I am reading for an escape!

I love this book premise. Reformed Rake stories are my favorite and the premise of a disillusioned Lord finding a family is...more
FreeNightFalls
The whole book could have been better if the family dinners and boring stories had been avoided, and if more attention had been paid to the main characters. I didn't really like Elliot Armstrong, but probably because he wasn't even presented as a likeable character - he left his 8-year-old daughter to live on her own while he was pursuing whores and gambling the nights away. Then he accidentally finds himself in the sweet and warm home of a talented artist Evangeline whom he ends up deceiving an...more
Bianca
I really liked the beginning of this book. But by the middle I just started skimming whole pages. There was way too much time spent in characters heads. Sometimes the characters would get so lost in the own thoughts that I would forget they were in the middle of a conversation and what that conversation was about! I did really like all the characters and I wanted to see them all happy! It was just a little (or a lot) boring in parts!
Denise
This is Liz Carlyle's first book and one of my favorites. I read this first and am glad I did. Many of the characters appear in her later works. I loved the whole story of Elliot and Evangeline. You could feel the warmth that Elliot felt when he stumbled upon Evangeline's house. I found myself rooting for Elliot, that he would become part of this loving family, something he desperately needed.
Gisele
Libertinos também tem coração
Começei esse ano com o pé direito nas leituras! Só livros ótimos :D

My false heart, é de uma autora que nunca li nada na vida, peguei a dica do livro dela no mesmo lugar que peguei a indicação de To Have and to Hold, no blog da Rosario (http://rosario.blogspot.com/) blog em inglês, que só tem dicas porretas!

Mas voltando ao livro, aqui temos a história de Elliot, Marquês de Rannoch - escocês, lindo, rico e enooorme - que na sua juventude amou muito uma mulher, mas foi...more
Abby
Excellent debut novel from Liz Carlyle. She's a new author for me, recommended by my coworker Kim, so even though this series has been out for a while, I'm just discovering it.

Briefly, Evangeline is a Flemish refugee who escapes to England with the remains of her family and sets up a quiet life in the countryside where she supports her family by painting. (She's very talented and beautiful - of course.) Elliot, the very dissolute Marquis of Rannoch gets to know Evie by a long-winded case of mist...more
Oleta Blaylock
Even though I had read this story some years ago some parts of it still stuck with me and at this point in my life that is saying something. The biggest thing that sticks in my mind is Elliot finding Chatham Lodge in the rain. He is soaked through to the skin and he is for all intents and purposes heart sick. The glowing windows in the house call to him and show him that families can be happy and rowdy and loving. It is something that he has longed for all his life. Elliot Armstrong is a rake of...more
Brenda (b)
Oct 06, 2008 Brenda (b) rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Brenda (b) by: Julianna
My first book by Liz Carlyle. I loved Elliot and Evangeline and wanted them to work things out. I felt Elliot was ready for a change in his life and meeting Evie was the catalyst that started it. The secondary characters were wonderful too. I felt that these were real people and wanted to know more about them.
Cyndi
I'm following Goodreads suggestions with regards to stars. This book was okay. I didn't think it was fantastic or bad. I liked it okay; however, I wasn't impressed with it. Carlyle's writing was skillful, and she seems to recreate the era admirably.

I found the supporting characters in the story far more interesting than the main players. The Weyden-Stone household was lively and fun. Kemble was intriguing. Zoe was darling. Elliot and Evie? Eh. Boring. I didn't get their supposed "passion." Why...more
Edna Lyn
I believe this is Liz Carlyle's debut novel and I have to say it was very good! It was full of intriguing characters, both the main and secondary ones. It had a nice family feel to it which I absolutely love. Quite a few of these characters I know are in The Devil You Know and it's one of the big reasons I'm going through her backlist. The mystery was well written, I didn't even know who was behind it. It's rare when that happens because I do think many authors just dangle the answer right in fr...more
Daneesha
"Oh, Jesus. He loved her. Beyond reason."

The hero of this book really made it for me. It started off good, got a little slow in the middle, and then picked up the pace at the end. Elliot is one of my favorite heroes. He is described as a big hulking titled Scotsman with a vicious reputation and a glower that could make grown people shake. Deep inside, he's not sure if he can feel anymore. He is emotionally vulnerable because of events from his past. Ms. Carlyle takes you on a journey of self-ref...more
LJ
My False Heart - VG
Liz Carlyle
Bitter, vengeful Elliot Armstrong, whose provincial ways once left him vulnerable to the cruelties of the Ton, stumbles upon an isolated country estate that overflows with warmth, love, and innocence things completely foreign to him. He quickly tumbles head over heels in lust with Evangeline van Artevalde, a complex and passionate artist who lives with her boisterous family at the estate. And while the passion between them is undeniable, neither is completely honest...more
Karen Wilson
I hedge between a 3 and 4 here. While the writing, characters, secondary characters, and story were all well done, I don't find this story as gripping.

On the other hand, thus far the author seems to have an excellent way of creating stories with very believable and realistic characters and love story. No sudden HEA, love grew slowly and the obstacles were understandable and dealt with in a more believable fashion. The characters were not paragons of virtue but more realistic.

Dangermousie
I am growing quite attached to Carlyle's stuff. This one involves the Earl of Rannoch, a bitter and disillusioned man with an awful reputation who accidentally stumbles over the rambling, warm, loving house of Evangeline, a portrait painter (and her eccentric family), is mistaken for a client, and cannot help but want to be drawn into all that warmth. It's just so darling and lovely and I love the hero and heroine and want them to be happy so desperately. It's really good!
Kit
After thoughly enjoying the Devil series by Liz, I've gone backwards to read her stories from the start. My False Heart, Liz' first books sets the stage for well written, engaging stories that Liz goes on to write. Liz' stories a great reads wherever you start, but I do recommend that you read them in order of publish date. She has become one of my favorite writers and I appreciate that her stories have a tie in to characters and families that I have come to love.
Cheap and Lazy
Classic, not cliche. All of the elements I expect from a good historical romance were here: Vivid description without boring detail. Period dialogue and customs. Witty repartee. The most resolute and miserable rake. Steadfast heroine consistent with the times. Believable conflict. A bit of mystery. Steamy love scenes that were built toward. A happy ending with questions answered. There was also a large and colorful cast of characters, and better than average plot.
Huma Rashid
Is this one of Liz Carlyle's earlier books? Because it didn't feel quite *as* polished as her later ones. It felt like it dragged a bit at some parts. But whatever, because it's a GREAT story, and the hero and heroine are awesome. Don't get me wrong - Elliott is a douche extraordinaire, but holy crap, it just works. And Evangeline is just adorable and awesome. And the supporting cast, especially her family, is amazing.

Loved it.
Miki
This was okay. I like her later books better - less...well this one is not exactly purple prose, but it definitely leans toward a deepish sort of lavender, and more story. But, as I said, it's not bad, and it introduces many characters that show up again later.
Jenn
I like Liz Carlyle. Her writing is fast and sensual, her characters not too stereotypical. This is a solid entry in her literary list and if you like this, you will like the others on my list by her. She writes great love scenes.
RIF
Catching up on a lot of reviews means i wont remember the details of many books in this batch (sorry). I do remember liking this one, but I guess not enough for 4 stars (a re-read for me) or 5 (very fave)
Samantha
What a start to the twist and turns of such interesting families and their dark skeletons. Kemble will be a name that springs up a lot further in Liz Carlyle's novels but he keeps me entertained.
Sabrina Jeffries
You won't find more well-developed characters anywhere. Liz's lush style captivated me from the beginning, and I adore her characters, especially the intelligent and strong-willed women.
Ilze
Julie (Mom2lnb)'s excellent review says everything (but I always round my X.5 ratings up to X+1 instead of down to X).
Netanella
I loved the whole Scottish bad boy thing going on here. More, more, more.
Melanie (Moviemavengal)
Good book, but somehow didn't drive me to stay up late to finish it quickly.
Karen Darling
This book started out good but got dull after a wile.
Lisa Swett
A fun, good old fashioned bodice ripper!
  • That Scandalous Evening (Governess Brides, #.5)
  • Scoundrel (Montagues, #3)
  • Shattered Rainbows (Fallen Angels, #5)
  • His Lordship's Mistress
  • Untie My Heart
  • Wicked Promise (Clayton #1)
  • To Love and to Cherish (Wyckerley Trilogy #1)
  • Like No Other Lover (Pennyroyal Green, #2)
  • The Secret Pearl
  • Claimed By a Scottish Lord (Mystical Bliss, #2)
  • Lord Perfect  (Carsington Brothers, #3)
  • Seven Secrets of Seduction (Secrets, #1)
  • The Saint (Seducers #2)
  • A Lady's Lesson in Scandal
  • Red Roses Mean Love
  • The Fortune Hunter (Lord Rival, #2)
  • The Edge of Impropriety
21944
Dear Readers,

The awful truth about novelists is that we are mostly dull, introverted homebodies who only write in order to live our fantasies vicariously. I came to writing rather late in life, and I’m still amazed I can get paid for doing something I love, and that I get to stay home while I do it.

My favorite comedian Steve Martin once said, "I believe entertainment can aspire to be art, and ca...more
More about Liz Carlyle...
The Devil You Know (Rutledge Family #3) Never Lie to a Lady (Neville Family #1) Tempted All Night (Neville Family #4) Never Deceive a Duke (Neville Family, #2) Never Romance a Rake (Neville Family #3)

“Oh, aye. I'm the devil all right. And last night, you were begging to step into the fire.” 13 likes