Start by marking “My False Heart (Lorimer Family & Clan Cameron, #1)” as Want to Read:
My False Heart (Lorimer Family & Clan Cameron, #1)

My False Heart (Lorimer Family & Clan Cameron #1)

When Elliot Armstrong, the dissolute marquis of Rannoch, pursues a spiteful mistress into the wilds of Essex to sever their relationship, he is surprised to find himself hopelessly lost -- in more ways than one. Inexplicably drawn to a warmly fit house along an isolated country lane, he is mistaken for an overdue guest -- but he dares not reveal his identity for fear of be ...more
Published November 1st 1999 by Pocket Books

To ask other readers questions about My False Heart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My False Heart

Keri
Aug 14, 2010 Keri rated it really liked it
Loved this! I really enjoyed Elliot and Evangeline's story. Elliot decides one night that he is going to break it off with his mistress that night. Only problem is, she is in the country and it is pouring rain. No matter, he takes off on his horse after her. Once he realizes he is lost, he decides to stop and ask for directions.(This is where you know it is fiction, because as we know, men don't ask for directions, when they can drive around and waste gas instead.)

When the door is opened they h
Kathy
I tried. Really, I did. I am definitely not one to endure pages and pages of a character pondering all their conflicting thoughts. It's confusing. I definitely like to get into the head of a character to understand where they're coming from but this read didn't give me that. I was like "OK, already!!"

This was also one of those where the hero was huge, in all respects, and the heroine, a small wee thing, realized that if she were to get close, her head would match the place where his heart was a
Melissa
Jun 09, 2016 Melissa rated it really liked it
One of the worst feelings in the world has to be believing you've made so many mistakes and taken so many wrong turns in life that you've irrevocably destroyed any chance for happiness you might've had. Elliot Armstrong, the Marquess of Rannoch, finds himself in just this situation in My False Heart, and watching him find his way out of the darkness and into the light is at the center of this really lovely book by Liz Carlyle.

Ten years before the story begins, Elliot was a naive young man from S
Julianna
Feb 09, 2008 Julianna rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Regency Romance Fans
Reviewed for www.thcreviews.com

"4.5 stars" My False Heart was the first book Liz Carlyle wrote and the first book by her that I have read. All I could think of throughout the story and especially after finishing it was that if this is her debut novel, I can't wait to see what else she has to offer in her later works. Ms. Carlyle wrote two absolutely wonderful characters in Elliot and Evangeline, as well as a full complement of secondary characters from friends and relatives to servants. I loved
Crista
May 19, 2010 Crista rated it did not like it
I have heard raves about this book and this author. I bought this book and several others by Carlyle "knowing" that I had found another gem author. Boy I tried to like this book...I struggled through each chapter hoping the next would get better...it didn't. I read for enjoyment and the words "struggle" and "tried" should not be on my radar when I am reading for an escape!

I love this book premise. Reformed Rake stories are my favorite and the premise of a disillusioned Lord finding a family is
Kathleen
Sep 22, 2014 Kathleen rated it really liked it
I remember LOVING the first part of this book, when the hero — wet, cold, hungry, and totally lost — sits on his horse looking at the glowing windows of a country estate. A portrait of yearning.

Dare he approach the strangers? Surely they might offer him directions, soup, and a bed for the night? Perhaps some space in the barn?

He's a lonely man, and when this warmhearted woman and her fun-loving family welcomes him wholeheartedly, (mistaking him for another) he cannot resist.

If memory serves, t
Denise
Oct 23, 2010 Denise rated it it was amazing
Shelves: hot_hero
This is Liz Carlyle's first book and one of my favorites. I read this first and am glad I did. Many of the characters appear in her later works. I loved the whole story of Elliot and Evangeline. You could feel the warmth that Elliot felt when he stumbled upon Evangeline's house. I found myself rooting for Elliot, that he would become part of this loving family, something he desperately needed.
Corduroy
Feb 23, 2014 Corduroy added it
Shelves: dnf, on-kindle
I should probably stop trying to read books about men with scandalous, dark pasts who fall in love and try to reform. That whole trope is really my catnip, but I find the execution often not what I want. I want the hero to actually be dissolute and scandalous and dark and I want him to actually be tortured by his past and how maybe that makes him unworthy for TWU LOVE. Instead very often the hero is not that dissolute or unworthy. Part of why I think this trope is potentially compelling is that ...more
Bianca
I really liked the beginning of this book. But by the middle I just started skimming whole pages. There was way too much time spent in characters heads. Sometimes the characters would get so lost in the own thoughts that I would forget they were in the middle of a conversation and what that conversation was about! I did really like all the characters and I wanted to see them all happy! It was just a little (or a lot) boring in parts!
Fiordiligii
So beautiful. I just LOVE Elliot's and Evangeline's story. I have a weakness for broody moody Scottish noblemen. A+
Sonia189
Oct 06, 2014 Sonia189 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's good but there's too much time spent on things that could have been summarized. Some parts were a little bit boring.
Gisele
Jul 12, 2013 Gisele rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Libertinos também tem coração
Começei esse ano com o pé direito nas leituras! Só livros ótimos :D

My false heart, é de uma autora que nunca li nada na vida, peguei a dica do livro dela no mesmo lugar que peguei a indicação de To Have and to Hold, no blog da Rosario (http://rosario.blogspot.com/) blog em inglês, que só tem dicas porretas!

Mas voltando ao livro, aqui temos a história de Elliot, Marquês de Rannoch - escocês, lindo, rico e enooorme - que na sua juventude amou muito uma mulher, mas foi
Abby
Jan 09, 2009 Abby rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance
Excellent debut novel from Liz Carlyle. She's a new author for me, recommended by my coworker Kim, so even though this series has been out for a while, I'm just discovering it.

Briefly, Evangeline is a Flemish refugee who escapes to England with the remains of her family and sets up a quiet life in the countryside where she supports her family by painting. (She's very talented and beautiful - of course.) Elliot, the very dissolute Marquis of Rannoch gets to know Evie by a long-winded case of mist
Brenda (b)
Sep 07, 2008 Brenda (b) rated it really liked it
Recommended to Brenda (b) by: Julianna
My first book by Liz Carlyle. I loved Elliot and Evangeline and wanted them to work things out. I felt Elliot was ready for a change in his life and meeting Evie was the catalyst that started it. The secondary characters were wonderful too. I felt that these were real people and wanted to know more about them.
Molly
Jul 07, 2015 Molly rated it it was amazing
Good lord, this one gave me ALL THE EMOTIONS. It was fantastic, epic even.
Priscilla  Waller
Nov 19, 2016 Priscilla Waller rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I started this book many, many years ago. I read it when it was new. I loved so much I bought the ebook so I would always have it. I read it every several years when I can't find a new book that interest me.

This a book where I really liked the heroine and thought the hero was a jerk. He gets better as the book goes on. It's a DIK for me.
Metis-dite
Feb 20, 2017 Metis-dite rated it liked it
It took me about 3 weeks to read this book. However I don't think the book was the real problem. I think the inauguration stole my concentration.

This is my second Liz Carlyle (the first was The Earl's Mistress which has been on my re-read list for a couple of years now). Her novels have complex familial relationships, which sometimes I can't follow even though she explains multiple times.

"Oh you know how they're related: It's his first wife's brother's sister-in-law's cousin." Huh? Also, this
Mary Kate
Dec 28, 2016 Mary Kate rated it liked it
Let's begin.

We have Elliott who's introduced as this charming young man who is completely besotted with his betrothed.

Like annoyingly so.

I almost chose not to read this book because the characters in the first chapter were so outrageously cheesy with their need for each other.

We then find out Elliot's betrothed is preggo with someone else's child and obviously the engagement is called off.

Thus leads to Elliot's debauched life where he's constantly whoring & drinking.

In an attempt to find
Heroes & Heartbreakers
Let's talk about the Dark Side of Romance. Those moments of hopelessness, when our hero and heroine are at their lowest point; they feel they've lost the love of their lives, or death is approaching with so much left unsaid, and loneliness is a vast, open chasm of pain. Ah! the angst, the pain, the despair!

I love it.

It's a cliché, but suffering—in romance, at least—makes one a better person. I make a distinction between your run-of-the-mill romance novel torment: an abusive childhood, being tort
Cyndi
Jan 30, 2012 Cyndi rated it it was ok
I'm following Goodreads suggestions with regards to stars. This book was okay. I didn't think it was fantastic or bad. I liked it okay; however, I wasn't impressed with it. Carlyle's writing was skillful, and she seems to recreate the era admirably.

I found the supporting characters in the story far more interesting than the main players. The Weyden-Stone household was lively and fun. Kemble was intriguing. Zoe was darling. Elliot and Evie? Eh. Boring. I didn't get their supposed "passion." Why
Oleta Blaylock
Feb 27, 2014 Oleta Blaylock rated it really liked it
Even though I had read this story some years ago some parts of it still stuck with me and at this point in my life that is saying something. The biggest thing that sticks in my mind is Elliot finding Chatham Lodge in the rain. He is soaked through to the skin and he is for all intents and purposes heart sick. The glowing windows in the house call to him and show him that families can be happy and rowdy and loving. It is something that he has longed for all his life. Elliot Armstrong is a rake of ...more
Edna
Apr 17, 2009 Edna rated it really liked it
I believe this is Liz Carlyle's debut novel and I have to say it was very good! It was full of intriguing characters, both the main and secondary ones. It had a nice family feel to it which I absolutely love. Quite a few of these characters I know are in The Devil You Know and it's one of the big reasons I'm going through her backlist. The mystery was well written, I didn't even know who was behind it. It's rare when that happens because I do think many authors just dangle the answer right in fr ...more
Daneesha
Feb 23, 2013 Daneesha rated it really liked it
Shelves: highlanders
"Oh, Jesus. He loved her. Beyond reason."

The hero of this book really made it for me. It started off good, got a little slow in the middle, and then picked up the pace at the end. Elliot is one of my favorite heroes. He is described as a big hulking titled Scotsman with a vicious reputation and a glower that could make grown people shake. Deep inside, he's not sure if he can feel anymore. He is emotionally vulnerable because of events from his past. Ms. Carlyle takes you on a journey of self-ref
Sharyn
Sep 18, 2014 Sharyn rated it really liked it
I did not know this was Carlyle's first book, I am usually very good about reading series in order, and have read many other books by her, so the characters were familiar as they show up in other book. I loved Elliot and actually didn't mind reading about his constant turmoil. I was reading along and suddenly 2 murders!! Quite surprised. And there were many other surprises, in a good way. Evangeline is also a wonderful character and enjoyed her also. We also meet Kemble, who plays such an import ...more
LJ
Sep 21, 2007 LJ rated it really liked it
My False Heart - VG
Liz Carlyle
Bitter, vengeful Elliot Armstrong, whose provincial ways once left him vulnerable to the cruelties of the Ton, stumbles upon an isolated country estate that overflows with warmth, love, and innocence things completely foreign to him. He quickly tumbles head over heels in lust with Evangeline van Artevalde, a complex and passionate artist who lives with her boisterous family at the estate. And while the passion between them is undeniable, neither is completely honest
Cheap and Lazy
Classic, not cliche. All of the elements I expect from a good historical romance were here: Vivid description without boring detail. Period dialogue and customs. Witty repartee. The most resolute and miserable rake. Steadfast heroine consistent with the times. Believable conflict. A bit of mystery. Steamy love scenes that were built toward. A happy ending with questions answered. There was also a large and colorful cast of characters, and better than average plot.
Huma Rashid
Nov 24, 2012 Huma Rashid rated it it was amazing
Is this one of Liz Carlyle's earlier books? Because it didn't feel quite *as* polished as her later ones. It felt like it dragged a bit at some parts. But whatever, because it's a GREAT story, and the hero and heroine are awesome. Don't get me wrong - Elliott is a douche extraordinaire, but holy crap, it just works. And Evangeline is just adorable and awesome. And the supporting cast, especially her family, is amazing.

Loved it.
Kit
Mar 17, 2009 Kit rated it really liked it
After thoughly enjoying the Devil series by Liz, I've gone backwards to read her stories from the start. My False Heart, Liz' first books sets the stage for well written, engaging stories that Liz goes on to write. Liz' stories a great reads wherever you start, but I do recommend that you read them in order of publish date. She has become one of my favorite writers and I appreciate that her stories have a tie in to characters and families that I have come to love.
Karen Wilson
May 30, 2013 Karen Wilson rated it really liked it
I hedge between a 3 and 4 here. While the writing, characters, secondary characters, and story were all well done, I don't find this story as gripping.

On the other hand, thus far the author seems to have an excellent way of creating stories with very believable and realistic characters and love story. No sudden HEA, love grew slowly and the obstacles were understandable and dealt with in a more believable fashion. The characters were not paragons of virtue but more realistic.

Dangermousie
Apr 08, 2013 Dangermousie rated it really liked it
I am growing quite attached to Carlyle's stuff. This one involves the Earl of Rannoch, a bitter and disillusioned man with an awful reputation who accidentally stumbles over the rambling, warm, loving house of Evangeline, a portrait painter (and her eccentric family), is mistaken for a client, and cannot help but want to be drawn into all that warmth. It's just so darling and lovely and I love the hero and heroine and want them to be happy so desperately. It's really good!
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Jun 24, 2015 08:26PM
  • Untie My Heart
  • Scoundrel (Montagues, #3)
  • Wicked Promise (Clayton, #1)
  • That Scandalous Evening (Governess Brides, #1)
  • Thunder & Roses (Fallen Angels #1)
  • After the Kiss (Notorious Gentlemen, #1)
  • The Secret Pearl
  • The Edge of Impropriety (Signet Eclipse)
  • A Lady's Lesson in Scandal
  • Wings of a Dove
  • Like No Other Lover (Pennyroyal Green, #2)
  • To Love and to Cherish (Wyckerley Trilogy #1)
  • The Matchmaker (Maker, #1)
  • Seven Secrets of Seduction (Secrets, #1)
  • Wicked Seduction (Wicked, #2)
  • Claimed By a Scottish Lord (Mystical Bliss, #2)
  • His Every Kiss (Guilty, #2)
  • Compromised
21944
Dear Readers,

The awful truth about novelists is that we are mostly dull, introverted homebodies who only write in order to live our fantasies vicariously. I came to writing rather late in life, and I’m still amazed I can get paid for doing something I love, and that I get to stay home while I do it.

My favorite comedian Steve Martin once said, "I believe entertainment can aspire to be art, and ca
More about Liz Carlyle...

Lorimer Family & Clan Cameron (5 books)
  • A Woman Scorned (Lorimer Family & Clan Cameron #2)
  • A Woman of Virtue (Lorimer Family & Clan Cameron #3)
  • A Deal With the Devil (Lorimer Family & Clan Cameron #4)
  • Wicked All Day (Lorimer Family & Clan Cameron #5)

“Oh, aye. I'm the devil all right. And last night, you were begging to step into the fire.” 16 likes