Start by marking “The Devil You Know (Rutledge Family #3)” as Want to Read:
The Devil You Know (Rutledge Family #3)

The Devil You Know (Rutledge Family #3)

3.87  ·  Rating Details ·  2,328 Ratings  ·  112 Reviews
Frederica d'Avillez is sure she will never marry. She's had a disastrous London season, and now her longtime beau has thrown her over for a more eligible miss. But if Freddie can't have a husband, she's hell-bent on experiencing at least one night of unforgettable passion. Where better than in the arms of the dashing rogue Bentley "Hell-Bent" Rutledge? So what if he's a ra ...more
Published April 1st 2003 by Pocket Star (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Devil You Know, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Devil You Know

Julianna
Feb 09, 2008 Julianna rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fans of Regency Romance & Liz Carlyle
Reviewed for www.thcreviews.com

The Devil You Know is quite possibly the most truly romantic book I have ever read. It is a poignant story of love in the face of seemingly impossible odds, redemption, and facing the pain of the past so that recovery can begin. There is so much to love about this book, I hardly know where to start. The beautiful romance of the hero and heroine began as a beautiful friendship, yet it was a somewhat different friendship than what has been present in some of Liz Carl
Fani *loves angst*
My hopes for The Devil You Know were set too high because of the great reviews I had read here and in Amazon. However, I had only read one book by Carlyle so far, My False Heart, and I wasn't impressed with her style.

It turns out I was right to be wary after all; the book had so much potential but finally it did not deliver, not for me at least. The premises were interesting: The hero, Bentley, and the heroine, Frederika=Freddie, spent a night of passion which results in her pregnancy. When Ben
Daniella
Jun 18, 2015 Daniella rated it liked it
The Devil You Know is not something that you read for pleasure, because I felt so many things while reading the novel--pain, agony, shock, frustration--and pleasure was definitely not one of them. I'm putting this out in the open right now: this is not a happy story (at least not my idea of happy). The angst here is so intense that it seemed over-the-top already.

It is devastatingly dark, and so overwhelmingly realistic, that it will make you cry. God knows I cried enough while reading it.
description

Both
Keri
Aug 14, 2010 Keri rated it it was amazing
This entire series was very good and Bentley's book was no exception. He and Freddie made a fantastic couple. You knew throughout the book that there was something a bit off with Bentley, but he hid it so well. Then we started figuring it out that he had a secret that was going to possibly tear the family apart.

Meanwhile, he keeps a cool distance from his new wife, but he can't keep his distance or his hands to himself in the bedroom. Those scenes were very hot! This was a great ending to the t
Heather
May 22, 2014 Heather rated it did not like it
Julia
Feb 18, 2009 Julia rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, romance, historical
This is one of the best historical romance I've read in years. It's also the first book I've read in months that I simply couldn't put down; I read it straight through late into the night. The writing, dialogue and setting are all nearly flawless, and I loved the Hero and Heroine, though secondary characters could have been better developed. Much, if not most, of the book reads from Bentley's perspective, which I greatly enjoyed and made for some exceedingly hot sex scenes. At this point I'm a b ...more
Zumbagirl
Liz Carlyle is one of my favorite new authors - I enjoyed this one as much as the previous one I read by her - The Devil to Pay (MacLachlan Family, #1) by Liz Carlyle. She has a great writing style - everything flows very well, the story development and characters. Only problem with this one - tons and tons of names. Didn't realize it was the third in a series and you really need to know the history between everyone. So I was somewhat lost.

The main couple - Freddie and Bentley - are great together - friends to lovers. They knew each other forever
Netanella
Nov 26, 2009 Netanella rated it it was amazing
"Better the devil you know than the devil you don't." With these words, Freddie is reconciled to marry Bentley "Hell-Bent" Rutledge after she becomes pregnant following a passionate night together.

Normally I am not that big on romances where the heroine becomes pregnant early on or the couple weds now and falls in love later, but this story just did it for me. Of course, Carlyle is a superb writer, and the story just flows from the page like so much magic. Purely lovely.
Tonileg
Dec 19, 2011 Tonileg rated it liked it
I've always believed that men are different from the ladies. Men don't plan elaborate weddings nor imagine clouds in the sky romantic moments nor stress out if their beloved is thinking about them right at that second. So when marriage does get on their brains, it happens quickly and they are almost immediately ready, so if you are that lucky girl that passes by when the moment is right... much like a Taxi that has its available light suddenly light up on top... a man 'BING' is ready to become a ...more
Dangermousie
Frederica d'Avillez is young, high-tempered and upset that her long-time beau ditched her. Still, there were perhaps wiser courses of actions open to her than an impulsive one-night stand with Bentley Rutledge, a family friend, a gorgeous charmer, and a totally unpredictable, carefree rake. To his credit, Bentley writes her a proper proposal of marriage before he leaves, but it's misplaced and Frederica never gets it, assuming the one-night stand was the beginning and the end. Only she finds her ...more
Abby
Jan 30, 2009 Abby rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance
I have been waiting for Bentley's story since he was introduced! What an interesting, complex, fascinating character. I loved his contradictions - the ultimate bad boy with a heart of gold. His past trauma made sense of his later actions, as did his confusion and reluctance to understand what happened.

Pairing up Bentley with Freddie, who we met in Carlyle's first novel My False Heart was a stroke of linking genius. I loved seeing Freddie all grown up and standing up for herself. Her compassion
Hudson0624
Nov 07, 2010 Hudson0624 rated it it was ok
Hero was not believable for me. The author kept telling me he was this bad boy rake but all I got was lovesick/tortured soul. The heroine I know was supposed to be good intentioned and weary of marriage to Bentley but I felt she came across as sanctimonious. She kept telling him how she needed him be and things he needed to do to be good enough to be w/her. I have to say I did enjoy the first few chapters but then it went steadily downhill. Basically skimmed the last 1/2 of the book.
Melanie
I loved Bentley... He was such a tortured hero.. His secret is awful and heartbreaking, and although he's never wanted a woman for himself before, he refuses to give Freddie up. I loved Freddie who didn't take any sh** from Bentley, and who pushes him until she figures out his secret.. 5*
Janet
Feb 12, 2010 Janet rated it really liked it
There really needs to be a grade between Liked it and Really Liked it :) but I did, I really did, liked it!
Wyrdness
Jan 21, 2015 Wyrdness rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
If you've read one historical romance featuring Dark Secrets and Tragic Pasts you've read them all, and such was the case with this one. There was nothing outright wrong with it, the writing was decent and the characters were fairly pleasant if not very deep (since they spent a great deal of time acting like numpties to fill the dictates of the story), but the plot was so very meh.

I liked the first chapter or two where the innocent girl pretty much seduces the devilish rake and then forthrightl
Jessi
Frederica d'Avillez is positive she's never going to get married. She's illegitimate and didn't "take" in her first season. Now, her safety option, Johnny, has informed her that he's marrying his cousin.
Bentley Rutledge is positive he's never going to get married. He's mad and bad and a womanizer. Besides, he doesn't want to.
But when Freddie, a girl he's only noticed is a woman, comes home upset when he's just come in drunk, he can't stop her advances. He tries several times (despite saying he'
Ladiibbug
Jan 14, 2009 Ladiibbug rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Historical Romance Fans
#1 Devil trilogy

Oh, the pure reading bliss and deep contentment of a Liz Carlyle book!

From the quirky chapter headings "In Which We Commence Our Tale of Woe", to dissolving into her expertly crafted historicals, to the amusing author bio on the inside back covers " ... Liz Carlyle always packs her pearls, her dancing slippers, and her whalebone corset, confident in the belief that eventually she will receive an invitation to a ball or to a rout."

Liz opens her "Devil" trilogy with Miss Frederica
LaFleurBleue
Feb 02, 2014 LaFleurBleue rated it liked it
Shelves: romance-histo, e-book
I might have to try it again some time, as I'm not sure I gave a full chance to this book.
The beginning seemed fairly complicated, with rather too many characters especially in Frederica's motley family. I thought some came from previous books in the series, but it did not seem so, as the previous 2 were about the hero's brother and sister.
There were a few moments with too much hints of what had happened in previous books for me to be able to say that this specific book can really be read on it
Desiree M ~*~*~ LiveReadCollect
3-3.5 stars. First Liz Carlyle I've read.

I really enjoyed the first 200 pages. It was a solid 4 stars up until then. After the two got married I lost interest in the story. It was still ok but I wasn't as invested as I was with the first half.

One thing that bugged me was that there was a good amount of characters and information from previous books that wasn't explained in this one. There were relationships between people and why they react to them the way they do that wasn't explained in a ea
Erika Walls
Oct 12, 2009 Erika Walls rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone... hella good!
I loved this book and had a really hard time putting it down I stayed up till 3 am reading it from start to finish. Wow ! Loved it!
I want a copy of this book if anyone is willing to sell theirs it's just one of those that i randomly chose from the library and was really hesitant to return it.
Sabrina Jeffries
Dec 28, 2009 Sabrina Jeffries rated it it was amazing
You won't find more well-developed characters anywhere. Liz's lush style captivated me from the beginning, and I adore her characters, especially the intelligent and strong-willed women.
Danette Steward
Feb 09, 2010 Danette Steward rated it really liked it
Shelves: carlyle-liz
I liked this story. The hero is emotionally tortured. You won't find out exactly why until the end. It's a story you'll remember. I recommend this book.
Marisha Reed
Oct 29, 2016 Marisha Reed rated it really liked it
i have never read a book where i felt the pain of hero jump out of the pages of a book before, the hero hides behind meaningless sex to hide his pain from the world, it was a roller coaster of a book and one of my favorite hero's of all time. loved it!!
_inbetween_
Apr 10, 2008 _inbetween_ added it
Recommended to _inbetween_ by: alex
It would be unfair to give it only one point (esp. since my new friend might read this), but ... the heroine cries a lot and is simply pretty, like every single other one, and the hero, and their relationship, supposedly so right, so real, TOLD to be ... see my other Carlyle reviews, and see below amazon review of "Romancer" about Carlyle's duke for confirmation of the horrid practice of FORSAKING her characters in their own books.

Bentley, one of the four (4) men who overshadowed David in his b
Elaina
I read this way back in high school (okay, it wasn't that long ago) and loved it. Recently I've been rereading favorites because 1) it's so hard to find decent historicals these days (harrumph) and 2) I'm curious to see how some books hold up over time. Some books didn't, I have to say. But this one did. I loved it as much as I did as a 17-year-old.

Frederica d'Avillez is the bastard daughter of an English soldier and Portuguese mother. Orphaned young, she goes to live with her English cousin and
Oleta Blaylock
Mar 13, 2014 Oleta Blaylock rated it really liked it
I have waited a long time to finally understand why Bentham Rutledge has been so angry with Cam, Earl Treyhern. I will say that I was more than a little shocked when I found out what had been going on. I will warn those that find abuse hard to take you might want to avoid this story. The subject doesn't come up until the last few chapters of the book. There aren’t many details just a discussion between Cam and Bentley. I have to say that Cam’s first wife and his father were two of the most evil ...more
Lucy Herondale
Well, this book would sure have more stars if it weren't for some things that I found absolutely ridiculous.
First, I cannot possibly believe that a woman, even a 18-year-old gently bred lady, would have no idea that by having sex she could get pregnant! o.O
Frederica was a young, respectful lady and then she decided to have sex with rogue Bentley "Hell-Bent" Rutledge and then when she knew she was pregnant she was all "How would I know that I would get pregnant? I couldn't possibly know that this
Georgie
I didn't not like this - and there were some very affecting scenes - but it felt a little artificial.

The plot, like most of the best romances, is very definitely subordinated to the characters, so the focus remains on a really very young heroine, Freddie, and her older (rather shop-worn) love, Bentley. In many ways, the book reminded me of a darker version of Georgette Heyer's Friday's Child. In both books, the H & h "get together" right at the start, without really knowing each other - Hey
 Mummy Cat Claire
I was looking for a specific kind of book and found this listed on goodreads. It came highly recommended so I thought I would pay, download it on kindle and give it a try. The book cost me about 8 bucks.
Boy was I disappointed. The beginning of the book was exciting and fast paced then the book really slowed down.
It's not much of a secret that the heroine becomes pregnant in the first part of the book. After that, the hero and heroine marry and move in with his brother. From here the book slows a
  • Lessons From a Scarlet Lady (Northfield, #1)
  • Devil Takes a Bride (Knight Miscellany, #5)
  • England's Perfect Hero (Lessons in Love, #3)
  • Not Quite a Lady (Carsington Brothers, #4)
  • One Week As Lovers (Somerhart, #3)
  • Bound by Your Touch
  • Heartless (Georgian, #1)
  • My Pleasure (The Rose Hunters Trilogy #2)
  • The Wedding Trap (The Trap Trilogy, #3)
  • His Captive Lady (Devil Riders, #2)
  • Wicked Angel
  • To Love a Thief
  • The Lady in Question (Effingtons, #7)
  • Seize the Fire
  • Winter Garden (Winter Garden #2)
  • One Night Is Never Enough (Secrets, #2)
  • Goddess of the Hunt (The Wanton Dairymaid Trilogy, #1)
21944
Dear Readers,

The awful truth about novelists is that we are mostly dull, introverted homebodies who only write in order to live our fantasies vicariously. I came to writing rather late in life, and I’m still amazed I can get paid for doing something I love, and that I get to stay home while I do it.

My favorite comedian Steve Martin once said, "I believe entertainment can aspire to be art, and ca
More about Liz Carlyle...

Rutledge Family (4 books)
  • Beauty Like the Night (Rutledge Family, #1)
  • No True Gentleman (Rutledge Family, #2)
  • The Bride Wore Scarlet (Fraternitas Aureae Crucis, #2)