Start by marking “Getting in the Game” as Want to Read:
Getting in the Game

Getting in the Game

3.39 of 5 stars 3.39  ·  rating details  ·  28 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Seventh-grader Joanna Giordano wants to play ice hockey, but the only game in town is the boys' middle school team. Everyone tries to talk her out of playing--from the principal and the coach to the class bully, and even her best friend, Ben. But Jo is as determined as she is talented, and even a grandfather with Alzheimer's and a father who needs anger-management classes ...more
Published December 26th 2007 by Square Fish (first published April 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Getting in the Game, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Getting in the Game

Christine
Getting in the Game is basically about a seventh grader named Joanna who is totally different than the other girls in her school. Usually the girls in her school love figure skating, but Joanna likes ice-hockey.There were no girls-ice hockey games, which to Joanna she thinks its completely unfair. The only game in the town were the boys-middle school ice hockey team. Everyone tries to talk Joanna out of playing such as the principal, the coach, class bully, her bestfriend, and her family, but ev ...more
Calvin
A middle school girl wants to play hockey, but the problem is that there's no girls hokcey team. So Joanna Giordano is forced to play with the boys. After hearing criticism for almost everybody, she still chooses to to play with the boys only team. But problems happen along the way losing best-friends, bad luck, treated unfairly, Derek and Valarie enemies of Jo.

I picked this book up because it relates to my passion/life.
I finished this book because i wanted to see a girls point of view of hockey
Ace
GettingintheGame

Blurb From Goodreads:

"I'd rather kiss Derek's padded butt than leave the ice right now with everyone thinking that it's too rough out here for a girl."

Seventh grader Joanna Giordano wants to play ice hockey, but the only game in town is the boys' middle school team. Everyone tries to talk her out of playing--from the principal and the coach to the class bully, and even her best friend, Ben. With humor and a feisty spirit, Joanna fights for her place both on and off the ice.

starstarstarstarhalfstar2

A girl named Britt
Ash R.
This book is about a very unique seventh grade girl that is different from the other girls. Instead of makeup and dresses she likes sports and guys stuff. That's why her passion for ice hockey is slowly coming through. Joanna wouldn't give that us for anything, its her hobby and life! Read this book to find out the struggles she goes through to stay on the team, and prove everyone shes a great girl hockey player.

I can make a text to world connection to this because some girls fight to be on c
Telka
This book is about a girl named Joanna but goes by Jo. She is very different from the other girls in her town. Instead of being a figure skating princess, she's more like a hockey princess. Being on the boys hockey team is extreamly hard for Jo. Not only is it the teasing, but her older brother is also on the team, and is going to do anything to get her off. With lots of courage and strength, Jo is hangin in there, but that's not the only problem. Gramps is getting really sick, and Jo doesn't k ...more
Aaron
Joanna is a girl who wants to play on an all boy hockey team. However, she must prove how much she loves the game in order to play. Many things such as her grandfather being hospitalized affects the game. She just wants to play the sport, but everything seems to get in her way, which stops her from actually in joying anything.

I feel as if I can relate to Joanna. Joanna and I both want to be in certain areas and teams, but do not feel comfortable being there. When I hang out with some friends, I
Loren
I read this book back in 5th grade, the curse words and raunchiness surprised me a bit, but it was really good, and I'll probably read it again someday.
Susan
I might have given this a "three" rating, but it rates a five for concept. The main character battles for a place on the (all male) school hockey team and contends with tension that has cropped up in her friendship with boy. Unlike so many books for this audience, the tension turns out to have nothing to do with "special feelings" that have cropped up between the two. It's refreshing to see a very contemporary and realistic picture of a male-female friendship, and just a little bit satisfying to ...more
Jaylaun G.S.
Didn't enjoy it all that much.
Kate
Joanna Giordano wants to play ice hockey, but the only team in town is the all boys middle school team. Everyone from the school principal, to the class bully and even her best friend try to get her to change her mind. But Joanna isn't going to quit and she's willing to fight for her right to play the game she loves.
Catherine
I picked this one up because I liked the retro, badass cover, and because it was about a girl playing hockey. The cover is attractive, but as it becomes clear in the book, it is misleading. Joanna has to work hard to play the sport she loves, and she is not primping in any mirrors after a tough practice.
Isabella
Isabella marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2015
Andy
Andy marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2015
SK
SK marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2015
Jocelyn Crouthamel
Jocelyn Crouthamel marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2015
Shafi
Shafi marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2015
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2015
Katelynn Welch
Katelynn Welch marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2015
Reggie Shanala
Reggie Shanala marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2014
Chellie
Chellie marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2014
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Oct 29, 2014
Booker
Booker marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2014
Giselle
Giselle marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2014
Terri
Terri added it
Apr 20, 2014
Candice Nishimura
Candice Nishimura marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Dawn FitzGerald lives in Ohio with her husband and two children. She teaches high school English and—as Coach Fitz—coaches the girls’ varsity soccer team.
More about Dawn FitzGerald...
Soccer Chick Rules Vinnie and Abraham Julia Butterfly Hill Robert Ballard: Discovering The Titanic And Beyond Ben Stiller (Gos)