Pontius Pilate

Pontius Pilate

3.51 of 5 stars 3.51  ·  rating details  ·  138 ratings  ·  24 reviews
The foil to Jesus, the defiant antihero of the Easter story, mocking, skeptical Pilate is a historical figure who haunts our imagination. For some he is a saint, for others the embodiment of human weakness, an archetypal politician willing to sacrifice one man for the sake of stability. In this dazzlingly conceived biography, a finalist for the Samuel Johnson Prize, Ann Wr...more
Published March 6th 2001 by Modern Library (first published 1999)

Nicholas Whyte
http://nhw.livejournal.com/540718.html[return][return]So little is known about the historical Pilate that Ann Wroe has bulked out the book considerably with stories told about him (the Copts seem to have had a lot). A couple of points I hadn't realised - the image of the emperor on Roman coins made them unacceptable for use in Temple rituals, which adds extra point to "Render unto Caesar" and also explains what the money-changers were doing at the Temple. But most of the book reflects on the sto...more
Benjamin
Pontius Pilate is where the classical world meets the Biblical, a pagan European man in the monotheistic Middle East, the Imperial governor over a notoriously rebellious region, and a player in perhaps the most famous execution in history. "What is truth?" Pilate says in the Book of John, a retort to Jesus' claim, "The reason I was born and came into the world is to testify to the truth." I have often thought of that conversation, wondered what Pilate really thought, how he viewed Jesus, the Jew...more
Nathan
I approached this book with a fair amount of ambivalence. Speculative history is generally not something I have any interest in. Wroe does her share of grasping at straws and makes no excuse for the necessity to conjecture, surmise, even fabricate. Every solitary detail is noticed and given some significance, from the political climate to the type of thorns that Jesus wore. What saves her, and what made the book sort of grow on me, was her willingness to let the importance of the story carry the...more
Suzanne
This is an excellent book, precisely, and absolutely, as its title says, the "biography of an invented man". Who was Pilate? He could, as Wroe suggests, be any one of three individuals: born of the tribe of Pontii, the Samnite nobility in the ancient Roman empire, relative of Gavius Pontius; a Spaniard, born in Seville, whose "residents had the right of Roman citizenship", "saturnine and ingratiating, [who:] hung around Rome, and especially round the court of the emperor; or, thirdly, A German,...more
Cappy
This book tries to navigate twenty centuries' worth of contradictory (and mostly imaginary) stories of Pilate's life - struggling, at times, to articulate a plausible one of its own.

"We do not even know [Pilate's:] praenomen, the name his mother and wife and friends called him by." (pg. xii)

"To have a faceless bureaucrat at the heart of [The Passion:] was unacceptable: something had to be made of this man." (pg. xii)

"But biography is often more specualtive, more selective - even more fictional -...more
Knot Telling
Saint Pontius Pilate? Ever since I learned that Pilate is venerated as a saint in the Ethiopian Orthodox Church, the figure of Pilate has intrigued me. On the one hand, bad man! Bad, bad man! On the other - wait a minute. Wasn't he a key figure in the working out of our salvation? After all, he sent Jesus to the cross, where in one explosive moment zenith became nadir became zenith, where the suffering and exhausted "it is finished" became words of triumph.

So it was with great curiosity and exci...more
Lesley
Oct 21, 2007 Lesley rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: exceptionally patient religious historians
Shelves: couldnt-finish
I really, really wanted to like this book, but I couldn't get past the first 30 pages. Ann Wroe was all, "Maybe Pontius Pilate did this. Maybe Pontius Pilate did that. Maybe Pontius Pilate did a little bit of this and a little bit of that." Snoresville.

Maybe I'll try to read it again someday. Maybe I won't.
John
Oh, how I wish more historical biographies were written to be so engaging! I would love to see Ann Wroe try her hand at a similar biography of Judas Iscariot.
Leif Erik
Sep 07, 2007 Leif Erik rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people who ponder the meaning of betrayal.
Shelves: religion
This is more of a history of an idea of what is Pilate than a biblical study ala Pagels or Armstrong. Interesting stuff, but not groundshaking.
John Cain
Anne Wroe is a fine writer and historian. She brings new life into the Passion of Christ by looking at it from the prespective that Pntius Pilate might have had. The book discusses the medival passion plays and the various interpertations of Pilate.

In some Copic churches he is a saint. The views of Pontius Pilate range from sainthood to the devil's helper by way of being mere tool of the Jews and an ineffective representative of Rome.

Perhaps the greatest question is how would the reader act if...more
Carrie
A really lovely and thought-provoking of the little we know about Pilate for sure and the huge amount of legend and myth surrounding him. Wroe explores a wide variety of sources, from ancient Roman documents to medieval mystery plays, to investigate why certain versions of Pilate have appealed to people at various times in history. She also does a wonderful job setting the scene in Judaea and explaining the core conflicts between the Roman governors, the established Jewish leaders, and Jesus's t...more
[Name Redacted By Goodreads Because Irrelevant to Review]
This book is a fine example of what you get when a non-academic tries to seriously engage an academic subject. That is to say, a mess. It's main appeal is the exploration of the traditions and beliefs which emerged surrounding the figure of Pontius Pilate in popular Western Christian culture over the centuries -- in that respect, it is interesting and rather fun. But as a serious examination of the historical figure of Pontius Pilate it is a large failure.
Alicia
Mar 09, 2009 Alicia rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Alicia by: Rebecca McCullers
Shelves: biography
Combining historical truth and speculation was never this interesting in college. Both the content and the writing were enjoyable.

P. 230 of the book speaks to Pilate's appeal: "...people continue to cling to Pilate as the great equivocator. Like an audience at a show, they love to watch him teeter, struggle, almost save himself, and fall. In some sense, they feel they are watching themselves."
Joshua
An interesting examination of Pilate as an historical figure, how he fits into the Bible, and the many different ways he has been interpreted and presented through history from medieval German Passion plays to Communist Cuba.
MikeFromQueens
Pretty good from a historical perspective. This clears up any misunderstandings that might have been intuited about this very roman citizen who was capable of and performed some good works.
Tarotemp
A plodding, ponderous read, to be sure. So dry I half expected the very same Galilean sand Jesus trod upon while preaching the gospels to spill forth from the book each time I opened it up.
Stephanie
An attempt to write the history of a man with an unknown history. Interesting but I couldn't keep my interest sustained. Gave up. (Nominated for the Samuel Johnson Prize.)
Robert Wechsler
A fascinating history notof a man (he may not have even existed), but essentially of a literary character who became very important to many religious and racist myths.
Julia
I tried to read this book for book club and could get no further than the first few pages. To me it was like reading a text book.
Daniel
Took a long time to read, but so glad I did. Highly recommended to folks interested in Christianity and theology.
Garrett
It's an almost entirely speculative enterprise, which is what makes it interesting.
Melody
Tediuos but thought-provoking. I enjoyed it.
Denise
It is insightfull about the times and customs.
Matthew Sutton
really engaging.
Jonathan
Nov 21, 2009 Jonathan added it
Shelves: history, classical
None
Kyle Mcdanell
Kyle Mcdanell is currently reading it
Jul 08, 2014
Luis
Luis marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2014
Gayle
Gayle is currently reading it
Jun 20, 2014
  • Daily Life in Ancient Rome: The People and the City at the Height of the Empire
  • Pompeii: The Living City
  • Chronicle of the Roman Emperors: The Reign-By-Reign Record of the Rulers of Imperial Rome
  • Cicero: The Life and Times of Rome's Greatest Politician
  • Scipio Africanus
  • Charles Dickens
  • Clark Gable: A Biography
  • Peter, Paul & Mary Magdalene: The Followers of Jesus in History & Legend
  • Ho Chi Minh: A Life
  • Greek Fire, Poison Arrows & Scorpion Bombs: Biological and Chemical Warfare in the Ancient World
  • The Trial of Gilles de Rais
  • In the Footsteps of Alexander the Great: A Journey from Greece to Asia
  • The Lost Gospel: The Book of Q and Christian Origins
  • John Adams: A Life
  • Caesar: A Biography
  • The Chief: The Life of William Randolph Hearst
  • Official and Confidential: The Secret Life of J. Edgar Hoover
  • The Roman History: The Reign of Augustus
Ann Wroe is a journalist and author - working as Briefings and Obituaries editor of The Economist. She is a Fellow of the Royal Historical Society, the Royal Society of Literature and the English Association.
More about Ann Wroe...
The Perfect Prince: The Mystery of Perkin Warbeck and His Quest for the Throne of England Being Shelley: The Poet's Search for Himself A Fool and His Money: Life in a Partitioned Town in Fourteenth-Century France Orpheus: The Song of Life Lives, Lies and the Iran-Contra Affair