Start by marking “Chicken Butt!” as Want to Read:

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  314 ratings  ·  84 reviews
You know what?
What?
Chicken butt!

The classic schoolyard joke has been recast as an irreverent picture book, with call-and-response parts for parent and child. The word repetition in Erica S. Perl’s text, and wonderfully comic illustrations by beloved artist Henry Cole, make this a particularly inviting book for new readers, as does the opportunity to “trick” a parent or oth
Published April 1st 2009 by Abrams Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Chicken Butt!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chicken Butt!

Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! by Mo WillemsClick, Clack, Moo by Doreen CroninElias Zapple's Rhymes from the Cabbage Patch by Elias ZappleKnuffle Bunny by Mo WillemsThere is a Bird on Your Head! by Mo Willems
Funny Books for Kids
121st out of 366 books — 304 voters
Fishing Into Potato Salad by Othen Donald Dale CummingsTurtle Wish by Murielle CyrFetch by Adam Glendon SidwellWhere the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakAlexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day by Judith Viorst
Boy Friendly Picture Books
49th out of 164 books — 72 voters

More lists with this book...

Carolina
If you love the sound of your child laughing until you think he just might pee his pants

If you love the feel of your little four year old’s pudgy fingers on your cheeks, while she shouts, “You know what!” into your face

If you love to see your kid running around the room, flailing his arms in the air, singing “monkey butt, duckie butt, elephant butt, any-animal-I-can-think-of butt”

Then, CHICKEN BUTT! is for you.

Okay, so this book can be exhausting. It’s a bit like giving kids noisy toys—you give
Scope
So here’s the question: How do you feel about a raucous storytime? Are you pro or con? Cause that’s what you’re going to have if you pull this one out during read-aloud. There are children’s books that work well when shared, then you have books like Chicken Butt, that are created for group settings. Say goodbye to the “fouth wall”, as readers are invited into the story from page one. While the central joke isn’t new, this winning combination of humor and the element of surprise will make for a m ...more
babyhippoface
Want to laugh yourself silly with a 5-year-old? Want to hear a child quoting a picture book back to you (for days on end, and quite possibly, weeks)? Then this book is for you, my friend.

The immaturity of this book is simultaneously ridiculous, hilarious, and contagious. Three 'ous'es. Stellar.

Designed for two voices to read in tandem, this is the perfect book to read on a bummer day, or any time when you're hoping for a tickle fight. Because tickle fights are so going to happen with this
The Library Lady
Horrified by the word "butt" are you?
Well: BUTT! BUTT! BUTT! BUTT! BUTT!
Still with me?

Fine if you've got a toddler/preschooler and don't want them saying "butt". But if you've got a grade schooler and live in anything but a hermetically sealed bubble, odds are it's in their playground vocabulary. And "Guess what? Chicken BUTT!" may be one of their playground call and responses.

This was NOT the case in my long ago NYC playground, but apparently it is in my daughter's Northern Virginia one. Found
Kris
I got to watch two little girls in my library read this book to each other. I worried that they'd pee the chairs, they were laughing so hard. That, in my opinion, is one of the highest accolades a picture book can get. They read the book out loud, read it again, made their mom listen to them read it - a treat for me to see. While I may find the plot on the simple side (boy bugs his dad with the old "know what?" joke), I can totally see why some kids will love this one. And Henry Cole's art gets ...more
Michele Knott
There is nothing academic to say about this book..... it's just plain, fun!! I can't help but laugh when we read it!
Crystal
This is pretty hilarious and I can't believe I haven't read it before today. I'm guessing I need to make a purchase.
Kate Hastings
Feb 03, 2010 Kate Hastings rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: PreK-1, humor, boys
Shelves: picturebooks
I'm regretting bringing this one home. Conversation at our house:
"Mommy-- you know what?"
"What?"
Damera Blincoe
I don't know why I love books about tushies and underwear, lol.
Benjamin Miller
“Chicken Butt” by Erica S. Perl is a patterned book that is meant for Nursery to Primary children. This book was about the joke when you say “Guess what?” the person answers “What?”, and then you say “Chicken Butt!” The book begins with a father reading his newspaper, and his son asks “you know what?” The father answers “what?” And the son replies “Chicken butt!” and then he keeps asking questions that have references to answers with chicken in them. The father finally has had enough, and tells ...more
Dolly
Mar 04, 2011 Dolly rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: 2011, childrens, humor
I first heard of the Chicken butt joke when I saw Macaully Culkin perform the skit on SNL. My husband and I thought it was hilarious and we have been using that gag on our girls forever. When I saw this book at our library, I thought it would be a very funny book.

Except that it isn't. I know that comedy is all about timing, so perhaps it is just my delivery that is bad. I even had our oldest play one part and I played the other. But the book just fell flat.
We often laugh when we catch our girl
Karen
My five-year-old son learned to read a new word today: "Butt". And I couldn't be prouder.

He thought this book was hil-AR-ious, and he didn't even know the original "chicken butt" joke. There is not much of a plot to this book -- one pretty much is not needed -- but it is still a very fun read.

The illustrations are perfect for such an irreverent book. (And I mean that in a very good way.)
Catz
If you like the sound of children laughing and seeing them having fun. This book is for you. They will also use any animal with butt at the end and fun with it for weeks to come!

My oldest grandson found this at the library. We read it over and over with his younger brother. We kept switching it to different library cards. Kept it out for 2 months! Finally broke down and ordered it for Christmas. They are now 8 & 4. Still enjoy it! Took it to school and read it to my Pre-k and kindergarten c
Joy
My cooperating teacher picked this up from the book order along with its sequel. I was paging through it at the end of the day and I was like "this is so not appropriate for a read aloud." It turns out she got the same impression.

Boys might like it because of the chicken butt jokes.
Melanie
Guess what? Chicken butt!!! This age-old adage is taken to the nth degree in this new picture book by Perl. Illustrated by Henry Cole's comical drawings, this book is a delight to read in storytime and truly invites participation. I would suggest apologizing to parents beforehand as to what the rest of their daily conversation with their child is going to sound like.

As we open the book the initial illustration show us a boy and presumably his father at a newsstand. The father is purchasing a pap
Cheryl Weinrich
I don't care if this is a classic playground joke or not. It is not appropriate to talk that way and that is what I teach my prekindergarteners - and I am sad to see Scholastic Books offering this as a book this month.
Jane
This book was so funny my daughter made me read it to her twice. It's just pure fun and silly, silly pictures. A little boy tricks his older brother quite a few times!
Katie (Katrina) Means
Definitely a book for those kids who love to joke and need to learn better ways to express that. Very funny and easy to read with great illustrations.
Bill Feldhaus
This page-turner lost a star for replacing "chicken poo" with "chicken tattoo." Other than that, I have no complaints.
Aidyle
It's ok. I may use it for CANDORA and see if the pre-schoolers will enjoy this story.
James
Three stars from my perspective, undoubtedly five from my kids.
Denise
Just plain fun... my kids were laughing the whole time we read. :)
Mckinley
This could have been taken from my childhood home; some things don't change.
Peacegal
You know what? Chicken butt!

Weirdly enough, I went all through childhood without ever having heard this schoolyard chant. However, Perl wants to make sure you won’t forget it!

The whole story centers on a kid tormenting his dad with “chicken” jokes, with the help of a wacky fowl who is probably imaginary. The refrain of CHICKEN BUTT is shouted from the rooftops.

The storyline wasn’t really what I expected. From the cover, I was anticipating an obnoxious chicken who walks around sitting on things
Jill Pickle
I don't know if y'all have heard, but chickens are the new penguins. But this is more than a new picture book featuring cute chickens... it's about chicken butts! Well, specifically, it's an expanded version of the age-old silly response to "Guess what?" The next time one of those goofy moods strikes, grab your big or little person and the two of you can follow along with the book's call-and-response format until you're both rolling on the floor with laughter. Don't forget to stay tuned for the ...more
Carol
Don't deny it, every one of you at one point in your elementary school years said, "Guess what?". Then after your victim said, "What?", you gleefully responded, "CHICKEN BUTT!" That is exactly what one young boy does to his older brother in the first few pages of this book. The rest of the book is variations upon the same phrase. The illustrations are fun. Overall I wasn't too impressed with this book. Kids will love it because it will give them the excuse to say "CHICKEN BUTT!!!!" over and over ...more
Jennifer Morgan
Alex loved this book.
Shelli
Silly, fun and often times stupid humor is something that appeals to me. Reading should be fun. There is not even a fine line for me on exceptable funny and not - more like a street wide expanse of line. For me this book was leaps and bounds in the stupid, unfunny, DUMB humor. If you want to encourage your children to be repetitive annoying idiots... this is the book for you!
Yellowpagesgirl
Oh yes, there is a book of it. Oh yes, my kid did find it on the shelf at the library. Guess what?

Ooof...I'm too tired to play chicken butt with you people because I had to read this book so many times at bedtime. It was good fun, though. And truthfully, this mom had already sprung the chicken butt thing but now can say "chicken thigh" and "chicken eyebrow" every now and then too.
Kaethe
Why, yes, I must be fundamentally childish. I laughed like all hell. the PandaBat got to read the father's half of the dialogue, and I read the kid's half. I probably cackled, too. A very short read aloud, but it got raucous when I got to say "Chicken Butt!". Let me just add, that the Offspring did a marvelous job with the father's steadily mounting exasperation.
  • A Dog Is a Dog
  • Oh No, George!
  • Beware of the Frog
  • Forever Friends
  • Punk Farm on Tour
An accomplished and versatile writer, Erica S. Perl wears many hats literally and figuratively. Her middle grade novel, WHEN LIFE GIVES YOU O.J., is "a must read for all 8-12 year olds" (modernjewishmom.com). It was named a Sydney Taylor Award Notable Book, and was a finalist for state book awards in VT and RI. The sequel, ACES WILD, came out in Summer, 2013.

She is also the author of several pictu
More about Erica S. Perl...
When Life Gives You O.J. Vintage Veronica Dotty Goatilocks and the Three Bears Chicken Butt's Back!