Start by marking “Death by Meeting: A Leadership Fable...about Solving the Most Painful Problem in Business” as Want to Read:

3.99  ·  Rating Details ·  6,209 Ratings  ·  361 Reviews
"Casey McDaniel had never been so nervous in his life." "In just ten minutes, The Meeting, as it would forever be known, would begin. Casey had every reason to believe that his performance over the next two hours would determine the fate of his career, his financial future, and the company he had built from scratch."

""How could my life have unraveled so quickly?" he wonder
Published March 4th 2004 by Jossey-Bass (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Death by Meeting, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Death by Meeting

Parcoast
May 27, 2011 Parcoast rated it really liked it
Pros for this title are easy to come up with: It was a quick read. The information is easily consumable. The resulting recommendation is fairly specific and easy to implement. The concept behind this strategy for your meetings seems solid.

Cons are that the information, while easy to test, does not seem to come from any sort of empirical source. Most of it sounds like Lencioni conjured it up from nothing. I'm OK with that, since that is how I have come up with some of my best work, but it is an e
Brian Cassada
May 20, 2014 Brian Cassada rated it liked it
It was a good book with great intentions. I think the allegory that the information was set upon was good and applicable. However, I found that it got in the way for me. I read for growth and information. I was looking for the information to come to light and had to wait until the end. Everything the book was about could have been summed up in 5 or 6 pages.
Thelma
May 21, 2013 Thelma rated it it was amazing
"Death by Meeting" was my first Lencioni book and I am definitely a fan. Having seen him first at the Willow Creek Global Leadership Summit when he was a last-minute fill-in for Howard Schultz of Starbucks, I was immediately impressed by his humor and insights. I wasn't surprised that he was invited back the following year and again this year for the 2013 lineup.

The book is an engaging tale on what spells the difference between meetings that are alive and dead. Do not expect a linear narrative;
Justin de la Cruz
Apr 09, 2014 Justin de la Cruz rated it it was ok
This is fiction book that tells a whole story just so the author can hit you with some practical knowledge about a certain subject. The subject here is business meetings: Lencioni has some good tips on how to conduct meetings - different types of meetings for different purposes, let conflict come out, don't plan for tactical meetings - but I didn't need an entire story about an ex-golfer-turned-manager, filled with completely flat characters to get these tips. The appendices included (that come ...more
Piotr Uryga
Jan 11, 2016 Piotr Uryga rated it it was amazing
This is one of the books that are giving perspective on most dreaded topic of corporate world: meetings.

Funny thing is it advertise to have more of them and even though it's counterintuitive it makes sense.
Simple division based on context and not mixing tactical day by day topics with strategy changes is something that makes all the sense.

On top of it, it's fable with real characters which for me is always refreshing and more enjoyable to read / listen.
Chase Dougherty
Nov 16, 2016 Chase Dougherty rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book for certain people

Phenomenal writer who is great at capturing the internal thoughts people have in life. I felt like I was literally in the room for some of the moments. However, I almost wish I would have just read the last chapter and went on with life haha. Time is precious!
Marjorie Elwood
Oct 11, 2015 Marjorie Elwood rated it liked it
Shelves: business
I'm not sure why business authors feel compelled to write book-long fables instead of concise articles about their ideas, but at least this one has some compelling thoughts about how to make meetings more useful, interesting, and profitable to the organization. You can skip to the end of the book, where Lencioni delineates his suggestions.
Natalie
Mar 23, 2015 Natalie rated it really liked it
At first, I was not into the fact that this was a fable.... However, as the story progressed, I found myself interested. It was a quick read with some good takeaways on different types of meetings, the goals of each, and the role that leaders should play in making the meetings worthwhile.
David
Feb 25, 2009 David rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2009
Great lessons for preparing meetings. The leadership fable is well-written and engaging and the meeting model, although not necessarily applicable to all business models and organizations certainly introduces some issues that can (and probably should) be addressed by any organization.
Vikram Chalana
Mar 05, 2016 Vikram Chalana rated it it was amazing
Awesome book about how to make meetings more interesting. Meetings are a super important part of the job for most business folks -- we all need to learn how to make these meetings better -- both as an attendee and as a meeting leader. Key to good meetings, in one word --- Drama!
Ernesto Salce
Jul 18, 2016 Ernesto Salce rated it it was amazing
Liz S
Mar 09, 2016 Liz S rated it did not like it
Painfully outdated and 200 pages too long. Felt like being in a bad meeting about meetings.
Tim
May 10, 2015 Tim rated it it was amazing
Excellent book. Should be required for everyone at the management level.
John Browning
Aug 29, 2016 John Browning rated it it was amazing
Such a true book. Read it and apply it. No other words necessary.
Xiang Luo
Dec 21, 2016 Xiang Luo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good suggestion on meeting

Covered fairly good ground on meetings and made interesting and provocative suggestions on how to structure meetings and keep them interesting. However, it does not provide enough coverage on how to facilitate the meeting and bring out the mines or conflict among participants.
Christopher Anderson
Feb 08, 2017 Christopher Anderson rated it liked it
Shelves: audio, hardcopy
I liked the lessons from the books and believe there are things that can be extracted out of it to make meetings more successful. With that, I was not a fan of the Fable part of the story and felt much of it was irrelevant to the lesson(s) being taught.
Mary Kinietz
Feb 18, 2017 Mary Kinietz rated it it was ok
Very disappointing.
Mark Manderson
Oct 19, 2016 Mark Manderson rated it it was amazing
Truly appreciate this book as it unveils how important it is to mine for conflict in meetings. Breaks down the ideal 4 meetings that should take place and how to do them and why.
1. Daily check in.
2. Tactical weekly.
3 Strategic Monthly.
4. Quartly off-site review.
Shom Biswas
Good. Not as good as the previous 'Five Dysfunctions...', and a little tedious at times - but the lessons are accurate and helpful. Was required to write a summary of this for office - am printing it below:

Observations:
1. Some meetings are bad. Why?
a. Some meetings are bad because they lack proper context. They become a mélange of varying types of discussions with a wide-range of importance to the organization (with most being not-very-much).
2. Conflicts are a good thing.
a. This is true for ever
Stephanie Allgood
Jan 06, 2017 Stephanie Allgood rated it it was amazing
Shelves: leadership, own
This is a book that left an impression. Though I read this one several months ago I still remember it vividly. I HIGHLY recommend it!
Andrea Hill
Sep 27, 2016 Andrea Hill rated it really liked it
I dig these leadership fables by the author. Easy reads with clear direction to evoke change. I've already found myself trying to put some of it to practice at work.
Terri Griffith
Dec 25, 2016 Terri Griffith rated it it was amazing
A wonderful fictional account of an organization changing from meet to meet, to meeting to work and create commitment -- and knowing the difference.
Galaxiant
Mar 05, 2008 Galaxiant rated it really liked it
Shelves: leadership
Tigran Mamikonian
Jan 15, 2014 Tigran Mamikonian rated it really liked it
Quite interesting and relevant book for all managers who want to improve effectiveness of teamwork. If you were ever stressed by multy-party or face-to-face meeting and ever wondered if there are ways to make meetings more pleasant and productive, you should definitely look into this book.

Patrick Lencioni has presented this book in his classic style - first the model is illustrated in the form of fable and then the model described itself.

So the Model described in the book addresses both - compos
Idival Amaro
Mar 22, 2016 Idival Amaro rated it really liked it
Roger Miller
Dec 12, 2016 Roger Miller rated it liked it
I wanted to read the book because, I wrongly assumed it was a book against meetings. Instead, I recieved a fresh perspective on why meetings are important and how to make them more effective. My background is church meetings, the author writes of corporate America. I was fascinated how many similarities corporate America and the church hold's when it comes to meetings. Both too often avoid conflict, take on too much and lose their focus. Even executives grumble about meetings, and find excuses t ...more
Cathy Allen
Nine times out of 10, when someone says "we need our nonprofit board to be more 'business-like,'" what they are really saying is "we need these meetings to suck less." That's one reason why I enjoyed this book. The other reason is this: I love meetings. Working collaboratively with others is a big thrill for me, one of my strengths, something that gets me going in the morning. But good collaboration requires face time, sometimes in large-ish groups, and it can be difficult to convince others to ...more
Beth Peninger
Apr 27, 2016 Beth Peninger rated it really liked it
Another leadership fable. It's the title that caught my attention - Death by Meeting. How many hallelujahs are being said upon reading that title? We all know how it feels to be stuck in a meeting in which we can feel our very life being sucked out of us. I read this in my CE of the workplace.
This was a really interesting and informative way of looking at the problem of meetings and how to solve them. I realized while reading this that the current ELT at my workplace has either read this book a
Janet
Mar 16, 2008 Janet rated it really liked it
The book, like his previous ones, is cleverly structured in two large parts: The Fable and The Model. It's a quick read. The first part lays out a sort of novel, where the characters could pretty much be you and me, taking part in management meetings in our own companies, and tells the story of how implementing his methodology (brought about by a "consultant in disguise", impersonated by the CEO's personal assistant) helped put the company's steering team out of its meeting "misery", by turning ...more
Sharon
Mar 11, 2014 Sharon rated it liked it
First Lesson: Always look beyond the title in Bold print, you might find more information about the book in your hands if you venture further and read the small print.

Case in point. This book.
I saw the title (Death by Meeting) and immediately thought, 'a mystery! Haven't read one of those in a while!' Had I ventured to look further I would have seen in smaller print 'A Leadership Fable.' And in yet smaller print,'...about solving the most painful problem in business.'

Needless to say, I have lea
  • Good to Great and the Social Sectors: A Monograph to Accompany Good to Great
  • High Five!: The Magic of Working Together
  • Axiom: Powerful Leadership Proverbs
  • Crucial Confrontations: Tools for Resolving Broken Promises, Violated Expectations, and Bad Behavior
  • The Wisdom of Teams: Creating the High-Performance Organization
  • Encouraging the Heart: A Leader's Guide to Rewarding and Recognizing Others
  • The Oz Principle: Getting Results Through Individual and Organizational Accountability
  • The One Thing You Need to Know: ... About Great Managing, Great Leading, and Sustained Individual Success
  • The 17 Indisputable Laws of Teamwork: Embrace Them and Empower Your Team
  • Strengths Based Leadership: Great Leaders, Teams, and Why People Follow: A Landmark Study of Great Leaders, Teams, and the Reasons Why We Follow
  • The Deming Management Method
  • The Contrarian′s Guide to Leadership (J-B Warren Bennis Series)
  • Primal Leadership: Realizing the Power of Emotional Intelligence
  • A Sense of Urgency
  • The Starfish and the Spider: The Unstoppable Power of Leaderless Organizations
  • Leadership on the Line: Staying Alive Through the Dangers of Leading
Patrick Lencioni is a New York Times best-selling author, speaker, consultant and founder and president of The Table Group, a firm dedicated to helping organizations become healthy. Lencioni’s ideas around leadership, teamwork and employee engagement have impacted organizations around the globe. His books have sold nearly three million copies worldwide.

When Lencioni is not writing, he consults to
More about Patrick Lencioni...

“When a group of intelligent people come together to talk about issues that matter, it is both natural and productive for disagreement to occur. Resolving those issues is what makes a meeting productive, engaging, even fun.” 2 likes
“The hard truth is, bad meetings almost always lead to bad decisions, which is the best recipe for mediocrity.” 1 likes