Start by marking “The Jerusalem Bible” as Want to Read:
The Jerusalem Bible

The Jerusalem Bible

4.47 of 5 stars 4.47  ·  rating details  ·  207 ratings  ·  24 reviews
When it comes to Bible translations, readability and reliability are what count; and on both counts, the original JERUSALEM BIBLE stands alone. A product of the age of the Second Vatican Council (1962-1965), THE JERUSALEM BIBLE (published in 1966) was the first truly modern Bible for Catholics. Using definitive original language texts such as the Dead Sea Scrolls, biblical ...more
Hardcover, Popular Edition, 337 pages
Published 1974 by Darton Longman and Todd (first published 1966)

To ask other readers questions about The Jerusalem Bible, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Jerusalem Bible

Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
I read the entire Bible for 2 courses I took in college--Old Testament studies and New Testament studies. Having taken both Biblical Greek and Hebrew, I feel that this translation is one of the most accurate that exists, along with the Knox Bible.
Miriam
Jul 19, 2014 Miriam marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
"The first truly modern Bible for Catholics."

Translators include... J.R.R. Tolkien? What?

Well, I know what translation of the Bible I'm reading next!
Forest
Apr 17, 2008 Forest is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
In my opinion, the best English translation of the Bible.
Erik Graff
Jun 16, 2015 Erik Graff rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Erik by: Dennis Haas
Shelves: religion
This, the scholarly version of The Jerusalem Bible, the one with all the side- and footnotes, is the first translation of the bible I read from cover to cover. I did this while enrolled in Chaplain Dennis Haas' two-semester sequence on the Hebrew and Christian Scriptures at Grinnell College. Later, in the nineties, while at the Institute of Pastoral Studies at Loyola University Chicago, I purchased The New Jerusalem Bible, giving my older version away.

My method of studying the Judeo-Christian ca
carl
(For my overall thoughts read my comments on the NIV bible.)

Be sure to get the original, not the more recently made printings, especially the 'New Jerusalem' bible. Primarily because I have found this particular translation to be fluid in its prose, graceful in its poetry, and as comprehensive as can be had in a one volume translation of the entire christian scriptures.

If I could have one bible translation, this would be it.
jimstoic
This was the second Bible I read from cover to cover. (The first was the RSV.) It's a lively but not overly colloquial translation. Having the verse numbers in the margin makes it much easier to read.
Jessica Massler
The most inspiring book ever written!
Keith
This is one of the rare Bibles to make the many sections of poetry into poetry on the page. The Book of Job and much of the prophets are poetry, and poetry plays a key role in the other books as well.

Barnstone’s The Restored New Testament does the same. (You can see my review of his book here: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/....) As does Robert Alter’s various translations (my reviews are here http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/... and here http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/... and he
Rick
This bible has many footnotes and annotations, which is nice. However, they do not go deep enough for my tastes and I can't shake the feeling that they are less than objective and far from complete.

The book itself appears to be a mish-mash of stories, which often conflict with each other. Themes presented are largely internally inconsistent. In some cases, stories appear to be directly borrowed from other cultures. As the story goes, I find it nearly impossible to believe that an omnipotent and
Cnikola
Excellent version for every catholic, very inspiring.
Best book ever!!!
Bill
It interested me that J. R. R. Tolkien contributed both with advice and actual translation work on this version. He's credited with the book of Jonah, and with Job in some of the stories of it's making--he was even given the title of Editor in a few articles. He only admits to Jonah and giving of advice on the rest. Apparently he was consulted a great deal on Job however, and due to his humble words on the subject, we'll never know how much impact he truely had on the finished product. A good ch ...more
Lawrence Sterling III
On June 21, 2013 I completed my goal of reading the Bible from cover to cover. I am a Baptist Christian and was brought up reading the King James version of the Bible. The King James version is very confusing because it is translated into Old English. The Jerusalem Bible had additional Books like Tobit, Maccabees and Wisdom. Reading and understanding it was a lot easier because the language was more contemporary.
Susan Keraus
First read this, when working with children, at Youth Club. Easy to understand text & a great "read it through'" Bible. It does have additional books not included in my other Bibles - interesting!

Lisa Radloff
This was my Grandmother's Bible I was able to obtain after she passed this year. WOW! It is not only a well edited version but the history she recorded in it as it is a 1966 edition.
Jaret
Really beautiful translation. I loved the flow of the text, especially in the Psalms. Great footnotes too.
CD
One of several Christian Bibles I am going to add to the database that are in my library.
Doug Mcquirter
If you want to read the Bible as literature, go with this fine translation.
Dan Mac
By Anonymous?? Please, Larry David did not write the Bible.
Msgrv Csicablenet
Read this one several years ago. It was easy to read.
Marcelle
Excellent transliteration from the Greek and Hebrew texts.
rachel
Really good. One of the best books I've ever read, easy.
Arthur Sumual
it's the bible, what else can I say? :)
Sara Umrit
Sara Umrit marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2015
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2015
Nayra Caballero
Nayra Caballero marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2015
  • The New Testament in Modern English
  • Compendium: Catechism of the Catholic Church
  • The Philokalia, Volume 4: The Complete Text; Compiled by St. Nikodimos of the Holy Mountain & St. Markarios of Corinth
  • Tanach: The Torah, Prophets, Writings -- The Twenty-Four Books of the Bible, Newly Translated and Annotated (The ArtScroll Series)
  • The Triads (Classics of Western Spirituality Series)
  • Understanding the Old Testament
  • The Divine Milieu
  • When the Well Runs Dry: Prayer Beyond the Beginnings
  • The Spirit of the Liturgy
  • Gift and Mystery: On the fifteth anniversary of my priestly ordination
  • The Gospel Of Luke (New Daily Study Bible)
  • Letter and Spirit: From Written Text to Living Word in the Liturgy
Books can be attributed to "Anonymous" for several reasons:

* They are officially published under that name
* They are traditional stories not attributed to a specific author
* They are religious texts not generally attributed to a specific author

Books whose authorship is merely uncertain should be attributed to Unknown.
More about Anonymous...
Holy Bible: King James Version The Arabian Nights Holy Bible: New International Version The Epic of Gilgamesh The Quran