Start by marking “Snow in Jerusalem” as Want to Read:
Snow in Jerusalem

Snow in Jerusalem

3.47 of 5 stars 3.47  ·  rating details  ·  38 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Avi and Hamudi are two boys who live in Jerusalem's Old City -- Avi in the Jewish Quarter and Hamudi in the Muslim Quarter. To each boy, the other's neighborhood is an alien land. And although neither boy knows it, both are caring for the same beautiful white stray cat.One day the boys follow the cat as she travels the winding streets and crosses the boundaries between the...more
Published December 3rd 2005 by Albert Whitman & Company (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Snow in Jerusalem, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Snow in Jerusalem

Rebecca Owen
It tells the story of two boys, Avi and Hamudi, one Jewish and the other Arabic, living in Jerusalem, who unknowingly share a pet cat. When Avi one day follows the cat he discovers her with Hamudi and is immediately angry. While the boys fight over the cat, she runs off as snow begins to fall. The boys chase her together in fear of her freezing, and their joint fear momentarily overcomes their anger. When they finally catch up to her they discover she has four new kittens. They begin to fight ov...more
Lisa Vegan
I picked this up on impulse off the children’s picture book winter books shelf.

Well, if only it was so easy. I know this is supposed to be a kind of parable but it was too didactic and unrealistic for my taste. So, it’s about a white street cat that two boys, one Jewish and one Muslim, care for and share, at first not knowing of the other’s involvement.

I’ve never been to Jerusalem but I did appreciate the map and the illustrations, and the one author & two illustrators collaboration. I also...more
Elizabeth
In Snow in Jerusalem, by Deborah da Costa, a snow-white cat shuttles between the Jewish Quarter and the Muslim Quarter of Jerusalem’s Old City. The cat is being fed and cared for by boys - one from each side of the city. One day they both see her and follow her into the Armenian Quarter of the city. An argument ensues – whose cat is this after all? When they discover she has a litter of kittens, they acknowledge that it is too dangerous for the kittens to be left on the streets, “they could be k...more
Kara
Avi and Hamudi are (Jewish and Arab) boys living in separate parts of Jerusalem and unbeknownst to them, both taking care of the same cat. When the cat takes them through the streets of Jerusalem the boys follow it crossing through many boundaries in the city. As snow begins to fall, they discover the cat has four kittens and they realize their friendship through a shared love for this cat and kittens despite their many other differences.
Alice
This is a very nice book about getting along. The Stronger tone,is that a Jewish Boy and a Muslim boy, both love the same stray cat, and then they come together and decide to share the cat. Also, the rarity of snow in Jerusalem is a parallel of getting along in a place where there should be peace but rarely is...I thought it was a very nice book...and if nothing else...if you don't want to take the social and politically theme...it is about a cute cat... :-D
Liz
At first I was pessimistic towards reading this book. However, it turned out to a great book. I definitely learned to not judge a book by the cover. This book would be great for young students to relate to other children around the world. Also, the book teaches students to get along and work together. I might have students write to pen pals somewhere around the world to see what they have in common and learn about differences. It would be a fun writing assignment.
Matthew
This book taught me a lot about the division that exists in Jerusalem. The division of the city into isolated quarters really drove the plot of this story. The cat, that traveled freely between the different quarters of the city brought a small sense of unity between two boys from different quarters who were unknowingly caring for the same cat. The text and pictures are both exceptional here. I really enjoyed the watercolor illustrations.
Tiffany Tilton
This is a wonderful book to use if introducing children to other cultures and trying to teach that other children in other countries have similarities to children in America. This book also is good to use if teaching about the Middle East. Hopefully this book will help fight the current discriminations Middle Eastern people are fighting today.
Marla Clayman
Having lived in Jerusalem, and even having seen snow there, I appreciated some things about this book. If only it was this easy to bring peace. Even so - a reminder that politics is personal - and a lot of things can be made simpler if we take the time to listen to one another.
Claire
This book is about two boys, one Jewish and one Islamic, growing up in Jerusalem. Through the love of a stray cat they find out that they have much more in common than either would have guessed.

Ages 6-8
Sheila
I like the idea behind this story. But I wasn't crazy about the illustrations, and that poor momma cat is going to be tired going back and forth to keep the kitties fed!
Hester Thorpe
This was a sweet book...if only we could work out the Middle East problem as easily...
Maybe we just all need more kittens!
Maryc
young children's book - was expecting more - it was ok
Stefani Alcazar
Stefani Alcazar marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2014
Hannah Hoarau
Hannah Hoarau marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2014
Gary Masskin
Gary Masskin marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2013
Jennifer Coggins
Jennifer Coggins marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2013
Deborah da Costa was born in Jersey City, New Jersey and raised in Verona, New Jersey. Da Costa is a pen name she uses for children's books, though she claims it does have family significance. She attended Ohio State and then Columbia University's Teacher's College in New York. She is married with two grown children and two grandchildren and lives in Maryland with her husband, Warren, and three fo...more
More about Deborah Da Costa...
Hanukkah Moon