Start by marking “Deadly Stranger” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Deadly Stranger

Peg Kehret

Deadly Stranger

When twelve-year-old Shannon is kidnapped by a psychopath, her new friend, Katie, finds her life in danger when she unknowingly becomes the kidnapper's only witness.
Published April 1st 1987 by Dodd Mead (first published January 28th 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Deadly Stranger, please sign up.

Autum Willems
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

YARITZA SANTIAGO
Oct 12, 2016 YARITZA SANTIAGO rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this book was amazing. This book is about this girl named Katie and her family move to a new town and she go to a new school but she doesn't want to. But on Katie's first day she meets this girl named Shannon and they start talking and becoming good friends. Then and the end of school they walk home together and when Shannon gets home she starts eating an apple when someone grabs her and closes her mouth and tells her not to speak or scream or she dies and then he starts looking around ...more
Bailey Van Sickle
The setting of this book is modern day, in Shannon's house, and a barn out in the middle of no where. The conflict is Shannon has been kidnapped by this man who claims to be her brother. Katie shows and up and see's this man ,but since she just met Shannon she didn't know who this man really was. The main characters are Shannon Lindstorm, Katie Osborne, and the kidnapper (never really use his real name a lot mostly call him "he" or "him"). Shannon has been kidnapped by someone who is convinced ...more
Alison
Oct 31, 2011 Alison rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The reading intervention class I work in just finished the book. I liked how the book takes a very real, yet delicate topic - the kidnapping of a young girl - and keeps it PG. The kids in the class, all very reluctant readers, were sucked into the book and would complain when it was put down for the day. Any book that can do that for kids like these deserves to be shared. Great story.
Selena Chandler-williams
This is the first "grown up" book I ever read. I read this book when I was in the 5th grade. As I was reading this book when I was 11 years old I felt like I was in the story. It sparked my love for reading and the total escape from reality that a good book offers it's reader. I hope to find it so I can add it to my bookshelf at home.
Kira
Mar 17, 2015 Kira rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought it was really good.
Paige Horrie
If you like books with suspenseful cliff-hangers this is definitely the book for you! It all starts when Katie Osborne moves to a new town. On her first day she meets a girl named Shannon Lindsrtom when they begin to become friends Shannon asked for Katie to go shopping later that day with her. It all falls apart when Katie gets stuck babysitting her little brother. When Katie goes over to Shannon's to tell her she cant go shopping some guy answers the door.. Katie does remember Shannon talking ...more
Gina
Sep 30, 2015 Gina rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Katie has just moved to town and is starting a new school where she meets Shannon, who ends up getting kidnapped. Before the kidnapping, Katie and Shannon tell the other what they want to do for a living. Katie wants to work with animals, and Shannon wants to be a Psychiatrist. Katie likes to refer to people as the various animals mostly dogs, that she sees them as, and this is cute.
The book tells alternating chapters of both Shannon, and Katie. Shannon spends a lot of the book trying to figu
G Perez
Nov 19, 2014 G Perez rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The book Deadly stranger Katie Osborne was going to a new school and wasnt sure if she would fit in.She went to school and made a new friend Shannon Lindstrom, Shannon helps katie find all her classes and even lets her sit at her table for lunch,the next day Shannon was missing.Katie didnt even think that she ran away because she knew Shannon didnt seem like thjat type of person.Later on in the story Katie got hit by a car and that gave eveyone ven more suspicion if Shannon really ran away or go ...more
Mariah Dickerson
In the book "Deadly Stranger" Katie Osborne is going to a new school and town! Katie moved from Mill Valley to the town of Franklin. Katie did not think she was going to fit into her new school but she did! When Katie arrived she met a young girl named Shannon Lindstrom. Katie and Shannon became good friends, maybe even true friends. One day, Katie went to class but Shannon was nowhere to be found. The teacher had given an announcement that Shannon Lindstom went missing the day before. If you wa ...more
Abigayle Hulslander
Feb 23, 2015 Abigayle Hulslander rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wjhs, mystories
Katie moved to a new school and then meet a girl named Shannon who was kidnapped the first day they met. Katie seen the stranger who played as Shannon's brother so Katie never told the police about her meeting Shannon's "brother". Shannon real brother is only two years old. Katie was hit by the man who took Shannon, he wanted her dead, so the police can't find him because Katie knows what he looked like. The man who took Shannon thought that she was his sister who died in a crash like his mom, h ...more
Kaleigh
well, this book was scary. even as much as i hate to admit it. but i mean ya. it was good. i did it for a book thing in mr. romrell's class even though it wasnt my FAVORITE book i had to think of one and i was totally brain dead that day. but i suggest it to people who like intense or scary things.
Izzy Book Queen
As with every Peg Kehret book, it was crazy. Same routine: The beginning was sort of slow, then there was action, then a stupid character made a mistake, then the action packed addicting climax, then the character development and resolution, and finally a reflection of the lesson/moral.
So basically, every one of her books is exciting but also has a greater meaning.
Jordyn
Feb 08, 2014 Jordyn is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I love this book! It's awesome and I just love the books this author creates! She has so much passion for kidnapping and close to the heart stories! Not finished reading yet but I think this is one of my favorite books by peg!
GO PEG!!!!!! How do you read your books!?!?!
Jessica
Oct 14, 2010 Jessica rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of my favorite books of all time! It is about a girl who gets kidnapped. She doesn't know why, and she doesn't even know the guy. He comes in and takes her from her house. Read the book to find out what happens. I suggest for eveyone to read this book! :)
Ninfa
Feb 02, 2010 Ninfa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a very good book ,this book makes u feel like your in the story like for reals. Its really that good.This is a girl who has a mind and dosent completely shut down once something bad happens she thinkS and looks for clues and possible answers to what shes loking for ....Read this book!
Emma Roth
Feb 01, 2016 Emma Roth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
this book was good!
Catherine  Mustread
Aug 29, 2009 Catherine Mustread rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, childrens
Suspenseful middle-grade fiction.
Anna
Mar 16, 2015 Anna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
this was a really good action packed book. I could not stop reading this book over the weekend, so i gad to finish it.
Jessie
Jul 09, 2010 Jessie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: usa
A good kidnapping novel for young readers.
Mattie
Feb 15, 2011 Mattie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
AWSOME BOOK LOVED IT
Heather Williams
i think it is asome i luv it who ever write this book i will give them 100 dollers that how good this book was...
Shay Debeer
Apr 30, 2014 Shay Debeer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome and totally suspenseful..
J~a~z~z~i~e
Mar 18, 2015 J~a~z~z~i~e rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Omg when i found out that David was going to kill Kate i couldn't stop reading the book but i had to..
Debbie
Jan 20, 2012 Debbie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
Katie is a new girl in school, and meets Shannon. But Shannon goes missing that very afternoon.
Cece
Mar 12, 2013 Cece rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was totally awesome! I would suggest it if you like kidnapping stories. I know I definitely do...
Chelsey
Aug 30, 2012 Chelsey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked it how it the author made it go back and forth between the two girls, but I really didn't like how it started and how it ended.
Jeremiah N.
Deadly stranger one of the best books I have ever read.
LeAnne
fast paced and well-written, but not particularly profound. 2 POVs
Brittany
Jan 12, 2015 Brittany rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think I was in the fourth grade when this book first caught my eye, and I read it a few times more after that. It was the 'gateway' book that put me onto the mystery/thriller novels I LOVE to read!
A
A rated it liked it
Jan 27, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Beauty
  • The Last Algonquin
  • The Bears' House
  • Help! I'm Trapped in the First Day of School
  • Who Really Killed Cock Robin? (Eco Mysteries)
  • The Burning Questions of Bingo Brown (Bingo Brown, #1)
  • Broken Date
  • Shadow in Hawthorn Bay
  • Twenty Pageants Later
  • Who Killed Mr. Boddy? (Clue, #1)
  • The Haunting
  • Anastasia's Chosen Career (Anastasia Krupnik, #7)
  • Where's Wally? The Totally Essential Travel Collection
  • Bad Kitty Does Not Like Dogs
  • Far North
  • Kim: Empty Inside: The Diary of an Anonymous Teenager
  • The Village by the Sea
  • Climb or Die
Peg Kehret writes middle grade fiction and nonfiction. She's won dozens of state children's choice awards, where kids vote for their favorite book.

When she was twelve, Peg was paralyzed with polio. Most of her protagonists are the age she was then.

A volunteer with animal rescue groups, three of Peg's books are co-authored by Pete the Cat."
More about Peg Kehret...