Start by marking “Deadly Stranger” as Want to Read:
Deadly Stranger

Peg Kehret

Deadly Stranger

4.24 of 5 stars 4.24  ·  rating details  ·  136 ratings  ·  24 reviews
When twelve-year-old Shannon is kidnapped by a psychopath, her new friend, Katie, finds her life in danger when she unknowingly becomes the kidnapper's only witness.
Published April 1st 1987 by Dodd Mead (first published January 28th 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Deadly Stranger, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Deadly Stranger

Bailey Van Sickle
The setting of this book is modern day, in Shannon's house, and a barn out in the middle of no where. The conflict is Shannon has been kidnapped by this man who claims to be her brother. Katie shows and up and see's this man ,but since she just met Shannon she didn't know who this man really was. The main characters are Shannon Lindstorm, Katie Osborne, and the kidnapper (never really use his real name a lot mostly call him "he" or "him"). Shannon has been kidnapped by someone who is convinced ...more
Paige Horrie
If you like books with suspenseful cliff-hangers this is definitely the book for you! It all starts when Katie Osborne moves to a new town. On her first day she meets a girl named Shannon Lindsrtom when they begin to become friends Shannon asked for Katie to go shopping later that day with her. It all falls apart when Katie gets stuck babysitting her little brother. When Katie goes over to Shannon's to tell her she cant go shopping some guy answers the door.. Katie does remember Shannon talking ...more
Alison
The reading intervention class I work in just finished the book. I liked how the book takes a very real, yet delicate topic - the kidnapping of a young girl - and keeps it PG. The kids in the class, all very reluctant readers, were sucked into the book and would complain when it was put down for the day. Any book that can do that for kids like these deserves to be shared. Great story.
Selena Chandler-williams
This is the first "grown up" book I ever read. I read this book when I was in the 5th grade. As I was reading this book when I was 11 years old I felt like I was in the story. It sparked my love for reading and the total escape from reality that a good book offers it's reader. I hope to find it so I can add it to my bookshelf at home.
Kira
I thought it was really good.
G Perez
The book Deadly stranger Katie Osborne was going to a new school and wasnt sure if she would fit in.She went to school and made a new friend Shannon Lindstrom, Shannon helps katie find all her classes and even lets her sit at her table for lunch,the next day Shannon was missing.Katie didnt even think that she ran away because she knew Shannon didnt seem like thjat type of person.Later on in the story Katie got hit by a car and that gave eveyone ven more suspicion if Shannon really ran away or go ...more
Mariah Dickerson
In the book "Deadly Stranger" Katie Osborne is going to a new school and town! Katie moved from Mill Valley to the town of Franklin. Katie did not think she was going to fit into her new school but she did! When Katie arrived she met a young girl named Shannon Lindstrom. Katie and Shannon became good friends, maybe even true friends. One day, Katie went to class but Shannon was nowhere to be found. The teacher had given an announcement that Shannon Lindstom went missing the day before. If you wa ...more
Abigayle Hulslander
Katie moved to a new school and then meet a girl named Shannon who was kidnapped the first day they met. Katie seen the stranger who played as Shannon's brother so Katie never told the police about her meeting Shannon's "brother". Shannon real brother is only two years old. Katie was hit by the man who took Shannon, he wanted her dead, so the police can't find him because Katie knows what he looked like. The man who took Shannon thought that she was his sister who died in a crash like his mom, h ...more
Jordyn
Feb 08, 2014 Jordyn is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I love this book! It's awesome and I just love the books this author creates! She has so much passion for kidnapping and close to the heart stories! Not finished reading yet but I think this is one of my favorite books by peg!
GO PEG!!!!!! How do you read your books!?!?!
Brittany
I think I was in the fourth grade when this book first caught my eye, and I read it a few times more after that. It was the 'gateway' book that put me onto the mystery/thriller novels I LOVE to read!
Anna
this was a really good action packed book. I could not stop reading this book over the weekend, so i gad to finish it.
J~a~z~z~i~e
Omg when i found out that David was going to kill Kate i couldn't stop reading the book but i had to..
Shay Debeer
Awesome and totally suspenseful..
Kaleigh
well, this book was scary. even as much as i hate to admit it. but i mean ya. it was good. i did it for a book thing in mr. romrell's class even though it wasnt my FAVORITE book i had to think of one and i was totally brain dead that day. but i suggest it to people who like intense or scary things.
Ninfa
This is a very good book ,this book makes u feel like your in the story like for reals. Its really that good.This is a girl who has a mind and dosent completely shut down once something bad happens she thinkS and looks for clues and possible answers to what shes loking for ....Read this book!
Jessica
This is one of my favorite books of all time! It is about a girl who gets kidnapped. She doesn't know why, and she doesn't even know the guy. He comes in and takes her from her house. Read the book to find out what happens. I suggest for eveyone to read this book! :)
Chelsey
I liked it how it the author made it go back and forth between the two girls, but I really didn't like how it started and how it ended.
Heather Williams
i think it is asome i luv it who ever write this book i will give them 100 dollers that how good this book was...
Cece
It was totally awesome! I would suggest it if you like kidnapping stories. I know I definitely do...
Debbie
Katie is a new girl in school, and meets Shannon. But Shannon goes missing that very afternoon.
Jeremiah N.
Deadly stranger one of the best books I have ever read.
Jessie
A good kidnapping novel for young readers.
Catherine  Mustread
Suspenseful middle-grade fiction.
Mattie
AWSOME BOOK LOVED IT
David Brown
David Brown marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2015
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2015
Decker Family
Decker Family marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2015
  • Beauty
  • Who Really Killed Cock Robin?
  • The Last Algonquin
  • The Burning Questions of Bingo Brown (Bingo Brown, #1)
  • The Bears' House
  • Other Bells for Us to Ring
  • Help! I'm Trapped in the First Day of School
  • Wind Dancer
  • Broken Date
  • Flash Fire
  • Shadow in Hawthorn Bay
  • Who Killed Mr. Boddy? (Clue, #1)
  • Someday Dancer
  • Anastasia's Chosen Career (Anastasia Krupnik, #7)
  • Time for Andrew: A Ghost Story
  • The Summer I Saved the World . . . in 65 Days
  • Far North
  • The Haunting
Peg Kehret writes middle grade fiction and nonfiction. She's won dozens of state children's choice awards, where kids vote for their favorite book.

When she was twelve, Peg was paralyzed with polio. Most of her protagonists are the age she was then.

A volunteer with animal rescue groups, three of Peg's books are co-authored by Pete the Cat."
More about Peg Kehret...
Stolen Children Small Steps: The Year I Got Polio Runaway Twin Abduction! Escaping The Giant Wave