Start by marking “Survivor” as Want to Read:

Survivor

A beautiful photographer is driving home one night when a car swerves past her and kills two pedestrians. Although she escapes the accident without harm, she has trouble shaking off the after effects...and comes to unsettling crossroads in her life. Soon she marries a local hockey star whose raucous lifestyle leads to a divorce. Then a scheming local cop, who has pursued h ...more
Published April 1st 1998 by Signet (first published 1982)

To ask other readers questions about Survivor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Survivor

Apr 20, 2012 Laura rated it did not like it
My one and only, true, one-star book according to the Goodreads rating system. I had found this marked down in a drug store bin back when you could buy books in a drug store.
So horrible I threw it under my bed, unfinished, and there it sat until I finished school and moved out of my parents' house to live on my own. I've been terrified to try any other Tabitha King book since.
Cody
Aug 27, 2016 Cody rated it liked it
Shelves: tabitha-king
What happened to Tabitha King? Specifically, what happened to Tabitha King between 1988 and 1993? 1988 saw the publication of Pearl, Stephen King's wife's fourth novel and (in my opinion) her crowning achievement. A sublime meditation on small-town life and personal achievement, I finished that book in two days with tears in my eyes and a new sense of optimism about my fellow friends and neighbors. It was one of those books -- the kind that sticks with you forever. That's not to say the books th ...more
Elle Esse
Jun 04, 2014 Elle Esse rated it it was amazing
My Original Post

Warning: SPOILERS!

Tabitha King
Pub. February 1, 1998

First and foremost, I have to say that from the very first time I read this book [on a pane from St. Louis to Ontario CA], I fell in love. I am not a fan of either of the Kings work, but this one spoke to me on some strange level that I have not encountered before. It sucked me in and I tend to reread it several times a year. Even more so now, I feel that this book speaks to me. Here's why:

Summary: Narrated from the autho
Haley
Jun 30, 2012 Haley rated it it was ok
This was my first Tabitha King read and I was highly disappointed. An unusual love story to say the least. I, as others, finished the book because I had a slight interest in the main character. King lost her way after the first chapter. The story just keeps circling around the same premise until King finally decides to mercifully put it to an end. I imagine Kissy and Junior's twisted love story continued making the same depressing loops long after the book ended.
Noelle
Jun 22, 2008 Noelle rated it did not like it
I almost finished the book, but it was so bad I couldn't stand it anymore and just flipped through the last few pages to see if anyone died.
Heather
Dec 01, 2016 Heather rated it it was ok
Shelves: 1990s
I wouldn't recommend this unless you enjoy frustrating characters.
Bianca
Feb 25, 2017 Bianca rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I don't get it. I struggled through this entire thing, and nothing about it was particularly compelling. By the end, I hated pretty all of characters. Maybe that was the point...but this is the first book I read this year that I really wouldn't recommend bothering with.
Jen
Apr 10, 2010 Jen rated it really liked it
I was mostly interested in reading my first Tabitha King because I really like her husband, Stephen King's, stuff. I think it must be hard to work in the same craft as your super successful and famous spouse, so I was wondering what I could glean through her writing. Mostly what I learned was that she can be as wordy as her husband.

I agree with the other reviewers that the story lacked plot, but I read to the end because I really wanted to know what happened to the main characters. Who needs pl
Kendall Schuldt
Oct 13, 2014 Kendall Schuldt rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Karli
Nov 21, 2013 Karli rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library
this is a very character driven novel, and follows the life of Kissy Mellors from the date of a fatal car crash through the next 7 years of ups, downs and questionable decisions. I love the writing, and how flawed the characters are. no one is without blame in the story, but its also hard not to relate to some of the thoughts, motivations and justifications that occur.
Jen
May 17, 2007 Jen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I've read this book more than once, and I love it everytime I reread it. How many messed up relationships can one girl get into?? And throughout it all I still want her in one of those problematic relationships, with Junior! :) Not sure why, but they are two ruined people that are truly meant for one another.
Joyce
Oct 31, 2008 Joyce rated it liked it
This is a strange book by the wife of Stephen King. She writes nothing like him and although this cover and title looks like its going to be a mystery or scary read its actually the story of a college girl who has many "experiences" with men most of them fairly bizarre. I kept reading it because it was like a train wreck....I couldn't stop myself from looking.
Heidi
Feb 04, 2011 Heidi rated it liked it
Interesting character study - not an action packed adventure as the title/cover would suggest, but very real characters that I've been thinking about for days since finishing. I had no idea the author was Stephen King's wife...
Kristine
Sep 15, 2010 Kristine rated it liked it
Not bad, but there were some slow spots that took me a while to get through. Some days I just couldn't get into this novel and others I couldn't put it down. It's one of those novels that you just need to be in the right mood for.
Amy
Apr 29, 2010 Amy rated it really liked it
This book turned out to be a odd epic love story. I have known love like their's. I have love like that now. No matter what the circumstances, if you are both soul mates, you will always love each other. I really enjoyed this book.
Leslie Jefferson
Jan 25, 2016 Leslie Jefferson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not clear on some of the connections on some plot threads. Chunks of time skip by without clarifying how much time has elapsed between events. Puzzled by characters actions at times. Compelling but unpolished.
Erin
Mar 31, 2010 Erin rated it it was ok
I kept reading this because the lead character was interesting, but there is no plot to keep the reader turning the page.
Loralie
Apr 16, 2013 Loralie rated it it was amazing
my only thot, why did tabitha stop writing in the 80's? she's very good.
Nancy Stewart-Kozak
Feb 20, 2008 Nancy Stewart-Kozak rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Roxanne
Recommended to Nancy by: Nancy
This is a very deep and darkly disturbing book but the characters within move you!
Mripma
May 10, 2009 Mripma added it
Unfair to say that I read it because I lost interest quickly.
Tami Droese
Dec 27, 2010 Tami Droese rated it really liked it
This is a crazy story. Tabitha King is a perfect match for her hubby. Another story I often think about years after the read.
Tracy Keirns
Jul 25, 2008 Tracy Keirns rated it really liked it
Another one of my favorites by Tabitha King.
Cat
Jan 25, 2010 Cat rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ultimate-faves, own
I have re-read this a few times now I enjoyed it so much.
I need a new copy though so if anyone has one...
Denise M.
Aug 25, 2009 Denise M. marked it as to-read
Shelves: king-tabitha
Wife of Stephen King
Cindy Smith
Feb 05, 2015 Cindy Smith rated it did not like it
I just couldn't get into this book. The main character was just strange and I felt the author just couldn't bring her to life. It was a bit all over the place too. Would not recommend.
Daryl
Jan 06, 2009 Daryl rated it it was amazing
i loved this book... its not your standard love story but it is. the characters are real, the plot is involving. bottom-line ... i loved it
Tanja
Aug 25, 2012 Tanja rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novels
Yes, it's Stephen King's wife, but don't expect an SK novel. It's a very interesting and at times dark love story with compelling characters who don't always act the way you'd expect them to.
Fran Johnson
this book reads very much like life.
Lee Nespor
Aug 23, 2007 Lee Nespor rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: no one
Shelves: fiction, crap
Yawn . . . . .
Ben Visel
May 06, 2007 Ben Visel rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: nobody
I hated this book, but kept reading to see if it would go anywhere. I figured, "she's married to Stephen King, it can't be that bad." I was wrong.
  • Revolution #9
  • The Intruder
  • A Firing Offense
  • Why Sinatra Matters
  • Speed Queen
Tabitha King (née Tabitha Jane Spruce) is an American author, the wife of author Stephen King and the mother of authors Joe Hill and Owen King (her daughter is Naomi King).

Tabitha King was born Tabitha Jane-Frances Spruce in Old Town, Maine. She was born to Raymond George and Sarah Jane White Spruce and is one of eight children.

Her primary education took place at St. Mary’s Grammar in Old Town, fr
More about Tabitha King...