Start by marking “Survivor” as Want to Read:

3.6 of 5 stars 3.60  ·  rating details  ·  344 ratings  ·  29 reviews
A beautiful photographer is driving home one night when a car swerves past her and kills two pedestrians. Although she escapes the accident without harm, she has trouble shaking off the after effects...and comes to unsettling crossroads in her life. Soon she marries a local hockey star whose raucous lifestyle leads to a divorce. Then a scheming local cop, who has pursued h ...more
Published April 1st 1998 by Signet (first published 1982)

To ask other readers questions about Survivor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Survivor

My one and only, true, one-star book according to the Goodreads rating system. I had found this marked down in a drug store bin back when you could buy books in a drug store.
So horrible I threw it under my bed, unfinished, and there it sat until I finished school and moved out of my parents' house to live on my own. I've been terrified to try any other Tabitha King book since.
Elle Ess
My Original Post

Warning: SPOILERS!

Tabitha King
Pub. February 1, 1998

First and foremost, I have to say that from the very first time I read this book [on a pane from St. Louis to Ontario CA], I fell in love. I am not a fan of either of the Kings work, but this one spoke to me on some strange level that I have not encountered before. It sucked me in and I tend to reread it several times a year. Even more so now, I feel that this book speaks to me. Here's why:

Summary: Narrated from the autho
Haley
This was my first Tabitha King read and I was highly disappointed. An unusual love story to say the least. I, as others, finished the book because I had a slight interest in the main character. King lost her way after the first chapter. The story just keeps circling around the same premise until King finally decides to mercifully put it to an end. I imagine Kissy and Junior's twisted love story continued making the same depressing loops long after the book ended.
Noelle
I almost finished the book, but it was so bad I couldn't stand it anymore and just flipped through the last few pages to see if anyone died.
Kendall Schuldt
Jen
I was mostly interested in reading my first Tabitha King because I really like her husband, Stephen King's, stuff. I think it must be hard to work in the same craft as your super successful and famous spouse, so I was wondering what I could glean through her writing. Mostly what I learned was that she can be as wordy as her husband.

I agree with the other reviewers that the story lacked plot, but I read to the end because I really wanted to know what happened to the main characters. Who needs pl
Judith
I read Tabitha King's first book (actually I tried to read it) and it was one of the worst books I ever read. I avoided her work for years. Someone gave me "Survivor" and I girded my loins and attempted it. In short, it was wonderful! She has come a long way as a writer. Her character development is outstanding. It's the story of a young woman whose life is irrevocably changed when she witnesses a fatal car accident. I truly enjoyed this book.
Karli
this is a very character driven novel, and follows the life of Kissy Mellors from the date of a fatal car crash through the next 7 years of ups, downs and questionable decisions. I love the writing, and how flawed the characters are. no one is without blame in the story, but its also hard not to relate to some of the thoughts, motivations and justifications that occur.
Joyce
This is a strange book by the wife of Stephen King. She writes nothing like him and although this cover and title looks like its going to be a mystery or scary read its actually the story of a college girl who has many "experiences" with men most of them fairly bizarre. I kept reading it because it was like a train wreck....I couldn't stop myself from looking.
Jen
I've read this book more than once, and I love it everytime I reread it. How many messed up relationships can one girl get into?? And throughout it all I still want her in one of those problematic relationships, with Junior! :) Not sure why, but they are two ruined people that are truly meant for one another.
Amy
This book turned out to be a odd epic love story. I have known love like their's. I have love like that now. No matter what the circumstances, if you are both soul mates, you will always love each other. I really enjoyed this book.
Kristine
Not bad, but there were some slow spots that took me a while to get through. Some days I just couldn't get into this novel and others I couldn't put it down. It's one of those novels that you just need to be in the right mood for.
Heidi
Interesting character study - not an action packed adventure as the title/cover would suggest, but very real characters that I've been thinking about for days since finishing. I had no idea the author was Stephen King's wife...
Daryl
i loved this book... its not your standard love story but it is. the characters are real, the plot is involving. bottom-line ... i loved it
Ben Visel
May 06, 2007 Ben Visel rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: nobody
I hated this book, but kept reading to see if it would go anywhere. I figured, "she's married to Stephen King, it can't be that bad." I was wrong.
Tami Droese
This is a crazy story. Tabitha King is a perfect match for her hubby. Another story I often think about years after the read.
Erin
I kept reading this because the lead character was interesting, but there is no plot to keep the reader turning the page.
Stacy
It had some interesting moments, but the ending just leaves you hanging. The story is also very scattered in places.
Cat
I have re-read this a few times now I enjoyed it so much.
I need a new copy though so if anyone has one...
Nancy Stewart-Kozak
Feb 20, 2008 Nancy Stewart-Kozak rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Roxanne
Recommended to Nancy by: Nancy
This is a very deep and darkly disturbing book but the characters within move you!
Loralie
my only thot, why did tabitha stop writing in the 80's? she's very good.
Mripma
May 10, 2009 Mripma added it
Unfair to say that I read it because I lost interest quickly.
Debra
Nov 13, 2011 Debra marked it as to-read
Stephen King recommended book. Stephen King's wife.
Lauren Jones
Simply amazing, extremely unforgettable characters.
Tammy
I liked this book but am still processing.
Tracy Keirns
Another one of my favorites by Tabitha King.
Fran Johnson
this book reads very much like life.
Denise M.
Aug 25, 2009 Denise M. marked it as to-read
Shelves: king-tabitha
Wife of Stephen King
Lee Nespor
Aug 23, 2007 Lee Nespor rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: no one
Shelves: fiction, crap
  • Joe Hill
  • The Dick Gibson Show
  • A Firing Offense
  • The Intruder
  • Right to Life (Cemetery Dance Novella Series, #4)
  • Why Sinatra Matters
  • The Speed Queen
  • Our Guys: The Glen Ridge Rape and the Secret Life of the Perfect Suburb
  • Zeke and Ned
  • The Ax
Tabitha King (née Tabitha Jane Spruce) is an American author, the wife of author Stephen King and the mother of authors Joe Hill and Owen King (her daughter is Naomi King).

Tabitha King was born Tabitha Jane-Frances Spruce in Old Town, Maine. She was born to Raymond George and Sarah Jane White Spruce and is one of eight children.

Her primary education took place at St. Mary’s Grammar in Old Town, fr
More about Tabitha King...
One on One Candles Burning Pearl The Book of Reuben Small World