Start by marking “The Trap” as Want to Read:
The Trap

The Trap

3.39 of 5 stars 3.39  ·  rating details  ·  411 ratings  ·  28 reviews
There were three of them - breaking into the isolated Maine cottage where Livia Russell had fled with her four-year old son to figure out why her marriage had gone wrong. Three animal-like youths, burning with lust, bet on destruction, and totally without conscience. Now they held her child hostage and her in their power. And even she could not guess how far she would subm ...more
Published March 4th 1986 by Signet (first published 1982)

To ask other readers questions about The Trap, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Trap

Kit★
I've been on a King-family reading kick lately, and I wasn't sure what to read next. This one had been sitting on my shelf, patiently waiting to be discovered for months now. As soon as I opened this one as read the first page, I wanted to keep going. I knew from the inside flap and from reading reviews on here that there was a bad part coming, and I had an almost sick-to-my-stomach feeling reading, waiting for the ball to drop. The writing is great, I was drawn into the characters and their liv ...more
Kandice
I admit, I only read this because she is HIS wife, but it was really, very good! I feel a bit guilty, because I did not expect it to be. It's always refreshing to read about women in a bad situation who shine. Very believable and entertaining.
Meen
One of the most intense (and yes, erotic) rape scenes I've ever read.
Space
I started reading The Trap by Tabitha King the other night, and immediately had to invoke my Rules of Fairness, Article 15; Column 2; Section 9A, which states that when reading a book I must give it a fair chance of being a potential Full Finish. Compliance with this article says the reader shall finish no less than fifty (50) pages of any book to be read unless the eyes combust or turn to acid in the sockets, whereby the reader has the option to either A) rent the book on audio cassette or CD a ...more
wally
read this one a few years back...the trap has to do w/the prologue and then some...a trap where an animal would be trapped. set on a lake...in maine, i believe. winter scenes, frozen lake...parting is all we know of heaven, as emily wrote, and all we need of hell....people get separated, physically, because that's what people do, all the time, and one falls prey to animals...as i recall anyway...and fights back....seemed like there was a happy ending.

this one fits nicely on the shelf with gerald
Lennie
This is the first Tabitha King book that I've read and I went into it with an open mind because first and foremost, she's an author in her own right and not just the wife of Stephen King (I'm sure she hates being constantly compared to her husband--I know I would). I thought this book was well written and although there is a graphic scene involved that gets pretty intense, I think it adds to the suspense of the story.
Christi
Anyone ever see the reprehensible drive-in movie from the late 70's called "I Spit on Your Grave"?? Well, "The Trap" is basically this movie with fewer rapists. No character development or unpredictable plot twists here. Very poorly written with graphic scenes of violence and rape.
Missie
Oct 09, 2012 Missie rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2012
I was pleasantly surprised by this book. Good story line with some surprises along the way. I didn't know that Tabitha was an author herself even though I have read her husband's stuff for years.
Maryann
I picked up this book because of her husband's writing. I didn't really expect her writing to be up to his caliber, but I was very disappointed. It was an OK read but the major plot lines were telegraphed by the set-up in the first half of the book. And the first half of the book seemed to have too much unnecessary set-up just to make the book longer. I don't think I'll be looking for other books by this author.
Janet
I read this book years and years ago but I remember how are riveting it was. I read it because it was written by Steven King's wife. But this novel and its author stand in no one's shadow. It was very believable and I loved the character development. I was totally caught up in that cabin in the woods.
Sherrie
Wow-- my first book of Tabitha's. She is just as scary as her husband, without any supernatural elements. Very tense -- had me on the edge of my seat. The two stories simultaneously was kind of unnecessary, though...think it would have been fine without the movie script inserted. I didn't really see the point of that. Good book, nonetheless.
Dita di Polvere
In certi tratti si vede l'influenza del marito, ma la prima parte è un po' troppo lenta. Un ottimo libro, con dei momenti davvero crudi, ma nulla di eccezionale.
Deanna
I just couldn't get into this one at all! I thought the writing style was horrible... someone recommended this book to me, said it was one of the best they'd ever read. Needless to say, I won't be taking any more recommendations from this person!
Jason Vedder
Iread this so long ago, and only because who she is married to. Didn't really get into it much, but I finished it. I remember it being okay... The other book I tried, by Mrs. King, was Small WOrld, that I never finished
Sara
This was the first of Tabitha King's books that I've read & still remains one I think of as being most intense. This book won't be for everyone, there is a rape scene that......well, I don't want to spoil anything!
Prairie78
This is a pretty terrifying book. Tabitha King has a way of laying out a realistic scene and then introducing events of terror and desperation that, unlike her famous husband's stories, can and do really happen.
Robbin Blow
After all the years since I read this book I still think about it......and it scares me. A real life kind of scare that makes me not want to ever be alone in a deserted place.....
Shannon
My first and only Tabitha King so far. I know I finished it, so that means I must have liked it okay, but nothing about it really stands out in my memory.
Dave
Later was changed to the title the trap.
Women with kids takes refuge at holiday home away from hubby
only to find a worse senario

One of her better books
Lori
There's a scene in this book that is disturbing and scary because it could happen.
Linda
definitely not her best work, nowhere near the caliber of Survivor
Chris
Very well written book .... a pleasure to read
Meredith Cockrell
sooooo disturbing and upsetting but good
Karl Steffey
Jun 21, 2009 Karl Steffey marked it as to-read
Shelves: fiction, owned
The Trap by Tabitha King (1986)
Denise M.
Aug 25, 2009 Denise M. marked it as to-read
Shelves: king-tabitha
Wife of Stephen King
Karen
Sep 04, 2012 Karen added it
I like tabbys thinking
Erin Ahn
Erin Ahn marked it as to-read
May 19, 2015
Aaron(Reblast)
Aaron(Reblast) is currently reading it
May 19, 2015
21st Century Ghos...: 4/12: The Trap - Tabitha King / Marked Spoilers 11 19 Jan 09, 2013 09:55PM
  • Vespers
  • The African Safari Papers
  • Serious Girls: A Novel
  • The Last Kestrel
  • Last Dance with Valentino
  • The War (Blackwater, #4)
  • Homesick
  • The Tsar's Dwarf
  • All My Sisters
  • The Devil on Her Tongue
  • An Instant in the Wind
  • Fatale, Vol. 5: Curse the Demon
  • Red Dog, Red Dog
  • The Beast of Chicago: An Account of the Life and Crimes of Herman W. Mudgett, Known to the World As H.H. Holmes
  • Gunpowder (Gunpowder, #1)
  • Little Daughter: A Memoir of Survival in Burma and the West
  • Skin (The X-Files)
  • It's Now or Never
Tabitha King (née Tabitha Jane Spruce) is an American author, the wife of author Stephen King and the mother of authors Joe Hill and Owen King (her daughter is Naomi King).

Tabitha King was born Tabitha Jane-Frances Spruce in Old Town, Maine. She was born to Raymond George and Sarah Jane White Spruce and is one of eight children.

Her primary education took place at St. Mary’s Grammar in Old Town, fr
More about Tabitha King...
One on One Candles Burning Pearl The Book of Reuben Small World