Start by marking “The daily practice of painting : writings and interviews 1962-1993” as Want to Read:
The daily practice of painting : writings and interviews 1962-1993

The daily practice of painting : writings and interviews 1962-1993

4.38 of 5 stars 4.38  ·  rating details  ·  180 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Born in Dresden in 1932, Gerhard Richter studied wall-painting at the socialist Dresdner Akademie, before settling in Dusseldorf in 1961. It was here that he began painting from photographic sources, a method which by his own admission allowed him to make a stand against the academies and the oppressive prototypes of the time, from which he had to free himself to find his ...more
Published (first published December 5th 1995)

To ask other readers questions about The daily practice of painting , please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The daily practice of painting

Andre
This book's influence far outweighs its actual content. It is foremost a meditative experience. It could be that it just feels good to be reading Gerhard Richter, and that his gravitas rubs off through the book. Whatever the reason, I inexplicably often reach for this book when I'm stuck and, inexplicably, it works.
Nolan
Cool and focused -- Richter's writings over this span of 30 years display a remarkable consistency, one I have a hard time believing anyone actually experiences. His writings on ideology are a great way into the work (though, it's fair to say that his anti-ideological stance exhibits itself through the language of ideology). His explanations of his choices feel very familiar, though I couldn't help but wonder if, based on his criteria -- criteria I feel I can agree with on most occasions -- Rich ...more
Stephen
I picked this up after listening to a lecture at the National Museum of Art in D.C. which inspired me to attempt to paint again. Unfortunately, I deployed to Iraq before I was able to read the book, so I read it while there, but all I had were pencils and a notebook. I need to re-read it and pick up the brush again.
Nic
This is an ongoing read. We share a fair amount of motivations, intentions, POV as artists save the notoriety
Lance
If you are an artist, this is a must.
Tessa
Aug 11, 2007 Tessa rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of gerhard richter, painters
Shelves: half-read, art, nonfic
I'm generally a fan of letters & notes, and Richter is definitely funny & paradoxical. Getting this book for the photos alone is worth it. But he does tend to repeat himself, as anyone would in their private philosophizing, so I'm not sure if I'll make it the whole way through.

edit: I didn't make it.
Wayne
The first half of the book is a little tedious - he's younger and combative/defensive. The interviews are mostly repetitious, but then around 1980 things get more interesting...
BakuDreamer
Not a single picture of a painting in this. Just wierd interviews.
Elise
contradicts himself a lot, pretty repetitive
Ben
i love this book. you should too.
Linda
Richter is cocky, but honest.
Cynthia
Cynthia marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2015
Robert Luxama
Robert Luxama marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2015
Deepak Madane
Deepak Madane marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2015
Hami Bahadori
Hami Bahadori marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2015
Kody
Kody marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2015
Cecile Milano
Cecile Milano marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2015
Sle1784853
Sle1784853 marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2015
Laura Volkening
Laura Volkening marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2015
Sameen Agha
Sameen Agha marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2015
Nicholas
Nicholas marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2015
Odessa
Odessa marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2015
Ariel Desouza
Ariel Desouza marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2015
  • The Craftsman's Handbook
  • Remote Control: Power, Cultures, and the World of Appearances
  • Gustav Klimt: The Complete Paintings
  • One Place After Another: Site-Specific Art and Locational Identity
Gerhard Richter: Atlas Gerhard Richter: Panorama Gerhard Richter: Writings: 1961-2007 Gerhard Richter: Portraits Gerhard Richter: October 18 1977