Start by marking “The daily practice of painting : writings and interviews 1962-1993” as Want to Read:
The daily practice of painting : writings and interviews 1962-1993

The daily practice of painting : writings and interviews 1962-1993

4.38 of 5 stars 4.38  ·  rating details  ·  172 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Born in Dresden in 1932, Gerhard Richter studied wall-painting at the socialist Dresdner Akademie, before settling in Dusseldorf in 1961. It was here that he began painting from photographic sources, a method which by his own admission allowed him to make a stand against the academies and the oppressive prototypes of the time, from which he had to free himself to find his...more
Published (first published December 5th 1995)

To ask other readers questions about The daily practice of painting , please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The daily practice of painting

Andre
This book's influence far outweighs its actual content. It is foremost a meditative experience. It could be that it just feels good to be reading Gerhard Richter, and that his gravitas rubs off through the book. Whatever the reason, I inexplicably often reach for this book when I'm stuck and, inexplicably, it works.
Nolan
Cool and focused -- Richter's writings over this span of 30 years display a remarkable consistency, one I have a hard time believing anyone actually experiences. His writings on ideology are a great way into the work (though, it's fair to say that his anti-ideological stance exhibits itself through the language of ideology). His explanations of his choices feel very familiar, though I couldn't help but wonder if, based on his criteria -- criteria I feel I can agree with on most occasions -- Rich...more
Stephen
I picked this up after listening to a lecture at the National Museum of Art in D.C. which inspired me to attempt to paint again. Unfortunately, I deployed to Iraq before I was able to read the book, so I read it while there, but all I had were pencils and a notebook. I need to re-read it and pick up the brush again.
Nic
This is an ongoing read. We share a fair amount of motivations, intentions, POV as artists save the notoriety
Lance
If you are an artist, this is a must.
Tessa
Aug 11, 2007 Tessa rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of gerhard richter, painters
Shelves: half-read, art, nonfic
I'm generally a fan of letters & notes, and Richter is definitely funny & paradoxical. Getting this book for the photos alone is worth it. But he does tend to repeat himself, as anyone would in their private philosophizing, so I'm not sure if I'll make it the whole way through.

edit: I didn't make it.
Wayne
The first half of the book is a little tedious - he's younger and combative/defensive. The interviews are mostly repetitious, but then around 1980 things get more interesting...
BakuDreamer
Not a single picture of a painting in this. Just wierd interviews.
Elise
contradicts himself a lot, pretty repetitive
Ben
i love this book. you should too.
Linda
Richter is cocky, but honest.
Stine
Stine marked it as to-read
Oct 13, 2014
Rafael Marquez
Rafael Marquez marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2014
Hanna
Hanna added it
Sep 16, 2014
Christina
Christina marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2014
Sreeja Pallam
Sreeja Pallam marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2014
Angela Rose
Angela Rose marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2014
Steven Chang
Steven Chang marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2014
Lydia
Lydia marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
Gerhard Richter: Atlas Gerhard Richter: Panorama Gerhard Richter: Writings: 1961-2007 Gerhard Richter: Portraits Gerhard Richter: October 18 1977