Start by marking “The Duchess, Her Maid, The Groom & Their Lover” as Want to Read:
The Duchess, Her Maid, The Groom & Their Lover

The Duchess, Her Maid, The Groom & Their Lover

Wretched be the woman of wealth and fortune who fails to produce a suitable heir....

And wretched is what Duchess Camille feels living with the cruel and debauched duke. But that soon turns to desperation when she learns her lecherous husband is plotting to have her killed to make way for a more nubile and fertile companion. Knowing she cannot sit idly by and wait for death
Trade Paperback, 384 pages
Published December 2008 by Spice

To ask other readers questions about The Duchess, Her Maid, The Groom & Their Lover, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Duchess, Her Maid, The Groom & Their Lover

Saskia Walker
Apr 18, 2010 Saskia Walker rated it really liked it
Victoria Janssen's novel, THE DUCHESS, HER MAID, THE GROOM, AND THEIR LOVER, is an unusual read. This one doesn’t fit easily into genre classification, which will be problematic for some readers. To my mind the novel is closer to a comedy of manners than anything else. It satirises the society it is set in, as well as our own society and our genre expectations. It is erotic, but with a literary edge. It is also a historical fantasy, but the fantasy angle is not immediately apparent. The story al ...more
Karla
Nov 28, 2011 Karla marked it as did-not-finish  ·  review of another edition
Not sure where Harlequin gets its audiobook talent, but they should start looking elsewhere. The narrator had a totally inept variety of voices and sounded like Kate Winslet (really eerily similar) rushing through the text to get to a more important gig somewhere else. If I come across it in text form, then I might give it another go.
Kelli
I feel utterly depressed that I even bothered wasting the time to read this.... I stupidly thought it sounded like a bit of fun, but ended up losing hours I will never get back for a story I kept tutting and frowning at, having to force myself to carry on or pick it back up.
The characters were flat ( they had tohe potential for sooo much more ) the heroine was.... well I didn't like her, the hero was half her age, something that could have been interesting, but sadly wasnt. The story had no dept
Kara
Jan 22, 2015 Kara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance-novel

With a title like that – you know what you are getting into, straight out the gate. A word of warning – the Duke is EVIL so scenes involving him are non-consensual. Icky. But all the others are VERY VERY consensual and VERY VERY steamy.

High grade smut of the finest quality, like 93% Peruvian Dark Chocolate good, and I’m not ashamed to say I read it. Good characterization, plot, and a very original setting – the same her Pirate Queen story is set in.

Biggest drawback is this is a world the author
Miss
Mar 19, 2017 Miss rated it liked it
lotta reviews here questioning the balance of sex to plot here. as someone who is very picky about her fictional sex i actually thought the duchess' numerous partnerings worked quite well as a bodily reclamation thing. overall the whole book felt very good natured; it's one of the better erotic romance i've come across

Jean
Jun 30, 2009 Jean rated it liked it
Shelves: erotica
This book was just ok for the first 3/4, but then I thought it really picked up in the last 1/4. It had lots of steamy sex scenes, with all sorts of couples and situations, but the characters didn't really sink in for me until the last part of the book. That being said, it was still very enjoyable. (I'd give it 3.5 stars if I could)
Risa
Nov 26, 2009 Risa rated it liked it
Shelves: own
"I could eat them like apples."
Maleka
Nov 15, 2008 Maleka rated it liked it
There was definitely some fun scenes in the book, but there were definitely some parts that dragged slowly.
comfort
Dec 20, 2014 comfort rated it liked it
My goodness, not only all of the above characters "doin it" but a plethora of assorted side characters getting rogered, almost non-stop.

It was the title that attracted me, it is an OK story with lots of f*****.
Camille is married to an awful Duke. She is in her 40's and has not gotten pregnant yet to supply the heir. She takes to her bed the Groomsman as his colouring resembles the Dukes and she hopefully can ghet pregnant by him. He of course falls head over heels for her.

Her Maid is a "right go
Betsy Cole
Jan 21, 2015 Betsy Cole rated it it was ok
The pacing of this book felt completely off. It felt like the first two thirds of the book was a series of disconnected sex scenes, each with different participants, connected loosely by a plot that couldn't really sustain them. I wondered a bit, while reading it, whether the sex scenes had all been written as standalone pieces, and then tweaked and tied together with the framework of a story. In the final third, we finally started to see real action, and a plot that coalesced a bit, but I had l ...more
Claire Mojieski
Claire Mojieski rated it liked it
Sep 18, 2010
Lesley
Jul 24, 2011 Lesley added it
Not a genre (erotic romance) that I normally read, but I found this very enjoyable - well-worked out setting, interesting characters, and subverting what I have always supposed to be the usual romance tropes.
Stefanie
This was a great read. The storyline kept you right in. Didn't want to put the book down. But had to :-) The end was a little slow but overall a very good fast read. Hopefully I can get more of this authors books at the library.
Cindy
Jul 09, 2012 Cindy rated it it was amazing
My first taste of erotic fiction. Now I know what was missing in all of those romance novels I used to read.
Kay
Feb 27, 2012 Kay rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks
This was a fun, fast read ... you'll need a fan as some of the pages are scorching!
Cferjani
(blank)
Ju
Nov 07, 2012 Ju added it
e-book
Elise Logan
Dec 20, 2010 Elise Logan rated it really liked it
Interesting with a twisty plot and a strong female lead. Not your ordinary romance.
Lynne
Lynne rated it it was ok
Dec 23, 2014
Manoel Ferreira
Manoel Ferreira rated it it was amazing
Aug 25, 2016
Karmen
Karmen rated it liked it
Aug 08, 2011
Cat
Cat rated it really liked it
Dec 15, 2008
Heather Ray
Heather Ray rated it it was ok
Jan 15, 2010
Shell
Shell rated it it was ok
Dec 07, 2010
Kate
Kate rated it it was amazing
Feb 11, 2010
Keely
Keely rated it liked it
Mar 29, 2009
Reader
Reader rated it it was ok
Aug 21, 2012
Katherine O'Grady
Not your standard plot, interesting world, lovely HEA.
Jennifer Conner
Jennifer Conner rated it really liked it
Jan 18, 2010
  • The Mistress / Wanted: Mistress and Mother
  • Mistress of the Storm
  • The Red Diary
  • Seduction by the Book
  • Bonds of Desire (Wicked Play, #3)
  • Erotic Deception
  • A is for Anal (The ABCs of Erotica, #1)
  • Lancelot And The Wolf (The Knights Of Camelot, #1)
  • Cantarella, Volume 7
  • Crimson Snow (Akanure goyou ni furu shimoyuki wa)
  • Simon Says: Mine (Mountain Masters & Dark Haven, #2)
  • Bound To Please