Start by marking “The Duchess, Her Maid, The Groom & Their Lover” as Want to Read:
The Duchess, Her Maid, The Groom & Their Lover

The Duchess, Her Maid, The Groom & Their Lover

3.27  ·  Rating Details  ·  74 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
Wretched be the woman of wealth and fortune who fails to produce a suitable heir....

And wretched is what Duchess Camille feels living with the cruel and debauched duke. But that soon turns to desperation when she learns her lecherous husband is plotting to have her killed to make way for a more nubile and fertile companion. Knowing she cannot sit idly by and wait for death
Trade Paperback, 384 pages
Published December 2008 by Spice

To ask other readers questions about The Duchess, Her Maid, The Groom & Their Lover, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Duchess, Her Maid, The Groom & Their Lover

Saskia Walker
Apr 18, 2010 Saskia Walker rated it really liked it
Victoria Janssen's novel, THE DUCHESS, HER MAID, THE GROOM, AND THEIR LOVER, is an unusual read. This one doesn’t fit easily into genre classification, which will be problematic for some readers. To my mind the novel is closer to a comedy of manners than anything else. It satirises the society it is set in, as well as our own society and our genre expectations. It is erotic, but with a literary edge. It is also a historical fantasy, but the fantasy angle is not immediately apparent. The story al ...more
Karla
Dec 12, 2011 Karla marked it as did-not-finish  ·  review of another edition
Not sure where Harlequin gets its audiobook talent, but they should start looking elsewhere. The narrator had a totally inept variety of voices and sounded like Kate Winslet (really eerily similar) rushing through the text to get to a more important gig somewhere else. If I come across it in text form, then I might give it another go.
Kara
Feb 10, 2015 Kara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance-novel

With a title like that – you know what you are getting into, straight out the gate. A word of warning – the Duke is EVIL so scenes involving him are non-consensual. Icky. But all the others are VERY VERY consensual and VERY VERY steamy.

High grade smut of the finest quality, like 93% Peruvian Dark Chocolate good, and I’m not ashamed to say I read it. Good characterization, plot, and a very original setting – the same her Pirate Queen story is set in.

Biggest drawback is this is a world the author
Kelli
I feel utterly depressed that I even bothered wasting the time to read this.... I stupidly thought it sounded like a bit of fun, but ended up losing hours I will never get back for a story I kept tutting and frowning at, having to force myself to carry on or pick it back up.
The characters were flat ( they had tohe potential for sooo much more ) the heroine was.... well I didn't like her, the hero was half her age, something that could have been interesting, but sadly wasnt. The story had no dept
Jean
Jul 15, 2009 Jean rated it liked it
Shelves: erotica
This book was just ok for the first 3/4, but then I thought it really picked up in the last 1/4. It had lots of steamy sex scenes, with all sorts of couples and situations, but the characters didn't really sink in for me until the last part of the book. That being said, it was still very enjoyable. (I'd give it 3.5 stars if I could)
comfort
Dec 20, 2014 comfort rated it liked it
My goodness, not only all of the above characters "doin it" but a plethora of assorted side characters getting rogered, almost non-stop.

It was the title that attracted me, it is an OK story with lots of f*****.
Camille is married to an awful Duke. She is in her 40's and has not gotten pregnant yet to supply the heir. She takes to her bed the Groomsman as his colouring resembles the Dukes and she hopefully can ghet pregnant by him. He of course falls head over heels for her.

Her Maid is a "right go
Maleka
Dec 10, 2008 Maleka rated it liked it
There was definitely some fun scenes in the book, but there were definitely some parts that dragged slowly.
Betsy Cole
Jan 29, 2015 Betsy Cole rated it it was ok
The pacing of this book felt completely off. It felt like the first two thirds of the book was a series of disconnected sex scenes, each with different participants, connected loosely by a plot that couldn't really sustain them. I wondered a bit, while reading it, whether the sex scenes had all been written as standalone pieces, and then tweaked and tied together with the framework of a story. In the final third, we finally started to see real action, and a plot that coalesced a bit, but I had l ...more
Risa
Nov 26, 2009 Risa rated it liked it
Shelves: own
"I could eat them like apples."
Cferjani
(blank)
Claire Mojieski
Oct 19, 2010 Claire Mojieski rated it liked it
Shelves: 2010, erotica
The first half of this book was ALL sex. I'm not complaining...I'm just saying! Then once we got to the second half it was almost all plot. I think the author could have figured out a way to mix them a little better. Overall it was a good, quick, spicy read but after a while I wanted to read something other than just sex.
Stefanie
This was a great read. The storyline kept you right in. Didn't want to put the book down. But had to :-) The end was a little slow but overall a very good fast read. Hopefully I can get more of this authors books at the library.
Lesley
Jul 24, 2011 Lesley added it
Not a genre (erotic romance) that I normally read, but I found this very enjoyable - well-worked out setting, interesting characters, and subverting what I have always supposed to be the usual romance tropes.
Cindy
Jul 09, 2012 Cindy rated it it was amazing
My first taste of erotic fiction. Now I know what was missing in all of those romance novels I used to read.
Elise Logan
Dec 20, 2010 Elise Logan rated it really liked it
Interesting with a twisty plot and a strong female lead. Not your ordinary romance.
Kay
Feb 27, 2012 Kay rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks
This was a fun, fast read ... you'll need a fan as some of the pages are scorching!
Katherine O'Grady
Not your standard plot, interesting world, lovely HEA.
Ju
Nov 07, 2012 Ju added it
e-book
Jessica
Jessica is currently reading it
May 03, 2016
Chelsea Hanna
Chelsea Hanna marked it as to-read
May 02, 2016
Monique
Monique marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2016
Er1ka
Er1ka added it
Apr 08, 2016
Jodi
Jodi marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2016
melida
melida marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2016
Kat
Kat marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2016
Meghan
Meghan marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2016
April
April rated it it was amazing
Feb 24, 2016
Annette
Annette marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Duty and Desire: Military Erotic Romance
  • The Diary Of Cozette
  • Dare to Surrender
  • Love Me Tonight
  • Mistress of the Storm
  • Bonds of Desire (Wicked Play, #3)
  • Seduction by the Book
  • The Mistress / Wanted: Mistress and Mother
  • Simon Says: Mine (Mountain Masters & Dark Haven, #1.5)
  • Erotic Deception
  • The Red Diary
  • Lancelot And The Wolf (The Knights Of Camelot, #1)
  • A is for Anal (The ABCs of Erotica, #1)
  • Cantarella, Volume 9
  • Crimson Snow (Akanure goyou ni furu shimoyuki wa)
  • Bound To Please