Start by marking “The Chariot Makers: Assembling the Perfect Formula 1 Car” as Want to Read:
The Chariot Makers: Assembling the Perfect Formula 1 Car

The Chariot Makers: Assembling the Perfect Formula 1 Car

Join Steve Matchett--racing broadcaster, columnist, and longtime Formula 1 mechanic for the championship Benetton team--on a quest to build the ultimate racing machine. During a fogbound evening in an airport lounge, Matchett and some fellow enthusiasts began a discussion of racecar design, a conversation which evolved into a detailed examination of the teams and technolog ...more
Published August 1st 2005 by Orion (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Chariot Makers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Chariot Makers

Mar 22, 2014 Anthoney rated it liked it
F1 tech has always been fascinating and lately it all seems tech. It's not about the better driver, it's just about having the better car. F1 driving skills seems to be who has better mastery of the tech. earlier the driver's used to be brash, cool and colourful, now the tech is cooler.
So it was good to get a deeper insight of the tech. The evolution has been just as cool.
Having said that, inspite of all the ugly noses this season, the McLaren Mercedes is a beauty
Herwin Thole
Feb 16, 2015 Herwin Thole rated it it was ok
Shelves: f1
Less gripping than the previous two books Matchett wrote on life in the F1 paddock. The premise of the book is simple: let's construct a Formula One car part by part. From the monocoque and wings to the engine and gearbox, Matchett explains why certain choices or compromises are made by F1 constructors. He avoids technical details and terms, and rightfully so. But he also never really dives into a topic. I feel the book is best suited for the uninitiated, who want to gain a basic technical under ...more
Aug 24, 2012 Mike rated it really liked it
Not that I wish Mr. Matchett to put out another book merely for the sake of putting out another book, & I respect his position at the conclusion of The Chariot Makers that he always envisioned his story in three parts—the first two being Life in the Fast Lane & The Mechanic's Tale—but listening to him on Speed's F1 broadcasts I believe he has much more of merit still to say about this sport we love, more than enough to fill a fascinating & insightful book.
Jan 21, 2008 Andre rated it liked it
Former F1 mechanic turned TV broadcaster, Steve Matchett, looks at how a modern F1 is designed and put together - explaining and putting in perspective the technological advances we've witnessed since the dawn of modern Grand Prix racing. F1 fans will find quite a few revelations, while newcomers might develop a new appreciation for the things that make F1 a whole lot more than two dozen cars running in circles. Despite the emphasis on technology, the book is an easy and entertaining read.
Chris Welbon
Jan 09, 2013 Chris Welbon rated it really liked it
Lots of good info about F1 car design woven into a needlessly contrived backstory of getting to fly back to Paris on the Concorde with a couple of other milquetoast Brits. The history of composites and chassis construction is especially good, and the secret behind McLaren's ridiculous model naming is revealed. Steve needs to back off on weird mix of early 20th century uppercrust Anglo-slang and Francophilia. A much better commentator than a writer.
Ciarán Bohane
Took Me A Year But A Good Read For Motorheads

I started this in the way to Silverstone last year. I finished it on the way this year. A great read for those interested in behind the scenes of F1. It would be great to see a similar book detailing today's cars.
Doug Wilkerson
Dec 09, 2012 Doug Wilkerson rated it really liked it
Steve Matchett is a former F1 mechanic and long time commentator on the speed channel. Read only if you're interested in Forumula 1.
Matt Russell
Matt Russell rated it it was amazing
Aug 14, 2016
Barclay Loftus
Barclay Loftus rated it really liked it
Feb 08, 2013
Patrick rated it liked it
Jul 23, 2011
Nathan Bell
Nathan Bell rated it liked it
Jun 18, 2016
Graeme rated it really liked it
Aug 06, 2014
Jason rated it really liked it
Mar 25, 2012
Joey rated it really liked it
Mar 04, 2009
Ciarán Bohane
Ciarán Bohane rated it really liked it
Jul 04, 2015
Dave Walls
Dave Walls rated it really liked it
Nov 19, 2013
Rob Ingersoll
Rob Ingersoll rated it really liked it
Jul 02, 2014
Weston rated it it was amazing
Aug 15, 2016
Michael Roberts
Michael Roberts rated it really liked it
Dec 13, 2014
Adam rated it really liked it
May 09, 2015
Joshua rated it really liked it
Jan 10, 2014
Marcus rated it really liked it
Jan 05, 2012
Chumpzilla rated it it was amazing
Nov 30, 2011
Terrell Olvera
Terrell Olvera rated it really liked it
Oct 29, 2014
Rg77 rated it liked it
Feb 06, 2012
Pete Finlay
Pete Finlay rated it liked it
May 31, 2015
Andy rated it it was amazing
Aug 08, 2012
Charles rated it it was amazing
Aug 01, 2012
Acecil rated it it was ok
Oct 20, 2010
Inky rated it really liked it
Sep 09, 2016
  • It Is What It Is: The Autobiography
  • Murray Walker: Unless I'm Very Much Mistaken
  • Aussie Grit: My Formula One Journey
  • Winning Is Not Enough
  • Going Faster!: Mastering the Art of Race Driving: The Skip Barber Racing School
  • Go Like Hell: Ford, Ferrari, and Their Battle for Speed and Glory at Le Mans
  • Life at the Limit: Triumph and Tragedy in Formula One
  • The Limit: Life and Death on the 1961 Grand Prix Circuit
  • Beast: The Top Secret Illmor-Penske Race Car That Shocked the World at the 1994 Indy 500
  • Black Noon: The Year They Stopped the Indy 500
  • Race Car Vehicle Dynamics
  • Storm Center: The Supreme Court in American Politics
  • Wall Street: A History: From Its Beginnings to the Fall of Enron
  • Born to be Riled
  • Inside the Postal Bus: My Ride with Lance Armstrong and the U.S. Postal Cycling Team
Steve Matchett is currently a commentator for American cable TV station SPEED Channel on its various F1 programs. Notably, he hosts F1 races with David Hobbs, Peter Windsor and Bob Varsha.
He is also a columnist for the Speed Channel website, and is a contributor to and technical editor of F1 Racing magazine.
He has published a semi-autobiographical trilogy based around his years in the F1 pit lane.
More about Steve Matchett...

“I remember standing against the bar in Budapest’s airport with a couple of workmates, some chaps from McLaren too, waiting for our homeward flight to be called after the ’92 race weekend. The chap behind the counter was doing the exact same thing: halving and squeezing oranges. Funny how these things spark memories. It was an exceedingly hot afternoon that day, and I remember seeing James Hunt walk through the door with Murray Walker. We were waiting for the same flight, a charter to London; I think pretty much the whole of the paddock’s British contingent was on it. Murray looked perfectly normal . . . like Murray really . . . open-necked shirt, briefcase, what have you; but James was wearing nothing but a pair of red shorts. He carried a ticket, a passport and a packet of cigarettes. That was it. There wasn’t even a pair of flip-flops to spoil the perfect minimalist look.
The thing that really made the event stick in my mind, though, was that James was absolutely at ease with himself, perfectly comfortable. This was real for him, no stunt or affectation designed to impress or shock, this was genuine: James Hunt, former world champion driver, current commentator for the BBC; work done for the day . . . going home. Take me, leave me; do what you bloody well want, just don’t give me a hard time about your own petty hang-ups. He became a hero of mine that day. Sadly, his heart gave out the following summer and that was that. He was only forty-five. Mind you, he’d certainly packed a lot of living into those years.”