Start by marking “The Heroes of Asgard” as Want to Read:
The Heroes of Asgard

The Heroes of Asgard

This is a complete telling of the Norse Gods of Asgard from their mythical creation to Ragnarok (The Twilight of the Gods). This is an action pack tale with giants and elves Gods and mortal men.

Kindle Edition
Published (first published 1870)

To ask other readers questions about The Heroes of Asgard, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Heroes of Asgard

I have to shelve this as a tale retold because having read the Edda and some of the myths behind this edition it just isn't the same. It's sort of fun how they've made these into children's tales with Odin the noble King and Loki the Wicked demon and Frey the Ever-Kind... And Disney dwarves and silly little flower-elves. It makes me kind of laugh and kind of cry inside. It was just too simple and one-dimensional. Even as a child I don't think I'd have liked it much. I always preferred the origin ...more
Jun 22, 2010 Natasha rated it it was amazing
Classic! Makes me want to have children, so that I may read these fantastic stories to them over and over.
JD Estrada
Jul 26, 2015 JD Estrada rated it really liked it
A rich mythology, at times confusing and begging a second read though always rewarding.
Sep 13, 2012 Max rated it it was amazing
A childhood favorite, The Heroes of Asgard taught me to love mythology.
Stacie (MagicOfBooks)
"Tales of Mythology" by A & E Keary is a retelling of the myths of Norse mythology. Discover epic heroes, dastardly villains, and larger than life monsters.

Well, that's a pretty lame summary, but that's essentially all this book is. I shelved this as "imaginative retelling," but I'm still not quite sure if this is a retelling. I think what my problem with this little book was had to do with a few things:

1. Very tiny book. Not the complete stories. Much more condensed versions of the stories
Feb 10, 2016 Sara rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Ick. I've read several different tellings of the same stories, and I realize they'll all vary considering how old these myths are. But all except this one carry the most important lesson we can learn from Norse mythology: Never admit to murder at the dinner table.

The best stories from Norse mythology weren't included in this volume. Some of them were uncomfortably altered just a bit. I should have saved my money.
Stephen Byron
Feb 16, 2016 Stephen Byron rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
very good book tells all about Norse mythology and how Asgard was built a page turner, This book has the dark side of Loki and the light side of Thor
May 27, 2014 Dallin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good, but too brief. Doesn't properly disentangle competing narrations/sources/ethnonyms.
David Melbie
Apr 22, 2013 David Melbie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Lovers of story
Recommended to David by: Picked myself
These tales are great. I really liked the way these authors translated these stories, making them easier to read. Pretty good now, as I am sure it was in 1857 when it was first published as Heroes of Asgard.
Dan Weiss
Nov 18, 2010 Dan Weiss rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a children's book from the 19th century, but I loved it. Pure and simple. I just like the old illustrations and the straightforward text.
Jan 07, 2012 Kari rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is where the pictures came from that were in my schoolbooks. The stories were entertaining enough to my 7 year old brother.
Mar 06, 2014 Bettie☯ marked it as to-read
Recommended to Bettie☯ by: Laura
In my dim and distant past ...

I shall have another look, thankee Brazilliant!

New York

In the beginning of ages there lived a cow, whose breath was sweet, and whose milk was bitter. This cow was called Audhumla, and she lived all by herself on
Jun 15, 2014 Maiya rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautifully told stories in a beautiful edition of the book. I love this sort of thing.
Mar 02, 2013 Frank rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good introductory book.
Beth Alsmeyer
Beth Alsmeyer marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2016
Nathanael Rogers
Nathanael Rogers marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2016
BookDB marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2016
Caleb Wright
Caleb Wright marked it as to-read
Oct 13, 2016
Christina Baze
Christina Baze rated it it was amazing
Oct 07, 2016
Mike rated it liked it
Oct 03, 2016
Eliza Jake
Eliza Jake rated it it was amazing
Sep 30, 2016
Chris Bridges
Chris Bridges marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2016
Mandy marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2016
Smee marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2016
Clare marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2016
Caristy Olson
Caristy Olson marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2016
Jess marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2016
Diamond Sanabria
Diamond Sanabria rated it liked it
Aug 31, 2016
  • The Book of Nature Myths
  • The Golden Bough: The Roots of Religion and Folklore
  • Dictionary of Celtic Myth and Legend
  • Gods and Fighting Men: The Story of the Tuatha De Danaan and the Fianna of Ireland
  • The Welsh Fairy Book
  • The Book of Dreams and Ghosts
  • The Fairies in Tradition and Literature
  • British Goblins: Welsh Folk Lore, Fairy Mythology, Legends and Traditions (1881)
  • The Lore of the Unicorn
  • Greek and Roman Ghost Stories
  • The Illustrated Encyclopedia of Signs and Symbols: Identification, Analysis and Interpretation of the Visual Codes and the Subconscious Language That ... and Describes Our Thoughts and Emotions
  • Rewards & Fairies
  • Myths and Legends of China
  • Daughter of Necessity
  • The Book of Werewolves
  • Encyclopedia of Gods: Over 2,500 Deities of the World
  • Ancient Egyptian Myths and Legends
  • The Saga of Grettir the Strong
Annie Keary (March 3, 1825 - March 3, 1879) was an English novelist.

She was born near Wetherby, Yorkshire, the daughter of an Irish clergyman. Two of her younger sisters are Eliza Keary and Maud Keary. She was the author of several children's books and novels, of which the best known is Castle Daly, an Irish story. She also wrote an Early Egyptian History (1861) and The Nation Around (1870). She d
More about Annie Keary...