Tank Girl: The Gifting

Tank Girl: The Gifting (Tank Girl)

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  233 ratings  ·  11 reviews
In these days of ultra-serious mega-crossovers, comics gets exactly what it's been needing - a jolt of adrenaline courtesy of the too-long-absent Tank Girl! Co-creator Alan C. Martin is back to offer redemption to anyone who sat through the Tank Girl movie, and what's more, this time the book's art chores will be handled by artist/painter Ashley Wood! Get ready for a fun a...more
Published November 20th 2007 by IDW Publishing (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Tank Girl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tank Girl

Rachel Searcey
Just kind of mediocre. The writing isn't bad but the art style doesn't suit Tank Girl at all. It's too constrained and forced, without any of the liveliness found in older Tank Girl. It was almost too serious, and often dragged. I skipped some pages because the dialog was going nowhere, and the action scenes unreadable.
Kellie
ashley wood makes these awesome sexy paintings of nekkid girls and robots (together at last!) this though, not so much. the art sucks and i could beat up this version of tank girl. sheesh. look to D'Airain Aventure or his art books instead.
Shanna
It starts off a bit dry, but once getting to the end of the second issue, I at least ran into the best quote I've ever come across that totally relates to my personal life. "I'm a whole different kind of cunt from what you're used to dealing with.. I'm from The League of Extraordinary Cuntywomen." This phrase resonates with me at the moment.

Despite that little fun factoid though, it does get more fascinating after realizing I hadn't missed an issue and I w...more
Darian
Disappointing.

The toilet humour (of which there is aplenty) is lame.

Ashley Wood does nice covers, but he sucks at interiors and rendering action. Perhaps if he used a few more colours instead of a monochromatic approach, it might improve the visual clarity of the panels. As it is, it's a mess; that's true here, and it's true also of Zombies vs Robots.

Can't believe I made it through the whole volume, but then again I skipped plenty of pages. It's a steaming pile of sh*te (with only a few hidden...more
Ariane
Oh, I am SO happy that Tank Girl & Co. are back, aren't you? This volume was just as much fun as the originals. I miss Jamie Hewlett's raunchy art but Ashley Wood and Rufus Dayglo make a pretty good team. The pencils and colors are excellent, and I'm happy to report that there is a cover gallery in the back. Damn, this book looks good! And Martin is still at the top of his game as a writer. He really makes the characters who they are; Tank Girl just didn't feel the same in The Odyssey and Ap...more
Alice Urchin
The art is totally fantastic. I love all of the different panel layouts, the drawing style, and the way it's colored. It makes me want to experiment more with the way that I draw and layout comics. The stories are mostly short and funny—a little too much bathroom humor for my taste, but Tank Girl is still pretty awesome.
Jamil
i think i've decided tank girl as a concept is just lost on me. or maybe i'm just not steeped in scatalogical brit humour (like benny hill?) enough to actually get it. that said I really dig the cartooning by ashley wood & rufus dayglo. yeah, sure, they ain't jaime hewlett, but i think the lads make a go of it.
So it’s completely psychotic, so what? It requires ridiculously long set-ups for the most retarded jokes, and it’s all done with a certain flair and disregard for the human race. A lovely blend of satire, ultra-violence, semi-nudity and humor borne of elementary school play yards.
Furu
I was weary of this new Tank Girl incarnation, but I like Ashley Wood's style, and it's nice that Jamie Hewlett had to be replaced, he was replaced with a talented lady! Pretty awesome!
Nicole
Pretty good, but the first half felt out of touch.. The action and dialogue livens up in the second half of the book and you start to feel like Tank Girl has come back.
Lindsay
Illustrations are beautiful, story line... not anywhere near as good as the older Tank Girl comics.
Zack360
Zack360 marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2014
softgrungecersei
softgrungecersei marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2014
Alyska
Alyska added it
Aug 27, 2014
Hannah
Hannah added it
Sep 04, 2014
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2014
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2014
Marie
Marie marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2014
Georgia
Georgia is currently reading it
Jul 18, 2014
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2014
Johnny Zombie-writer
Johnny Zombie-writer marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2014
  • Noir: A Collection of Crime Comics
  • I Saw You...: Comics Inspired by Real Life Missed Connections
  • The R. Crumb Handbook
  • Love and Rockets, Vol. 22: Ghost of Hoppers
  • Zero Girl (Zero Girl, #1)
  • The Abandoned, Volume 1
  • Meow, Baby!
  • Daredevil, Vol. 2
  • The Art of Jaime Hernandez: The Secrets of Life and Death
  • Graphic Novels: Everything You Need to Know
  • Miniature Sulk
  • The Goon, Volume 9: Calamity of Conscience
  • Black Blizzard
More about Alan Martin...
Tank Girl (Tank Girl, #1) Tank Girl The Collection Tank Girl Armadillo!: A Novel The Cream of Tank Girl Tank Girl: Visions of Booga

“4 million volts course like lovers through her body. Eerie rays eliminate from bulbous cathodes to caress her skin penetrating deep. Also somewhat like lovers, actually. Chemicals so secret they don't even have names and bubbles and spurts in her vein.” 4 likes