Tank Girl: The Gifting

Tank Girl: The Gifting (Tank Girl)

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  220 ratings  ·  10 reviews
In these days of ultra-serious mega-crossovers, comics gets exactly what it's been needing - a jolt of adrenaline courtesy of the too-long-absent Tank Girl! Co-creator Alan C. Martin is back to offer redemption to anyone who sat through the Tank Girl movie, and what's more, this time the book's art chores will be handled by artist/painter Ashley Wood! Get ready for a fun a...more
Published November 20th 2007 by IDW Publishing (first published January 1st 2005)

Rachel Searcey
Just kind of mediocre. The writing isn't bad but the art style doesn't suit Tank Girl at all. It's too constrained and forced, without any of the liveliness found in older Tank Girl. It was almost too serious, and often dragged. I skipped some pages because the dialog was going nowhere, and the action scenes unreadable.
Kellie
ashley wood makes these awesome sexy paintings of nekkid girls and robots (together at last!) this though, not so much. the art sucks and i could beat up this version of tank girl. sheesh. look to D'Airain Aventure or his art books instead.
Shanna
It starts off a bit dry, but once getting to the end of the second issue, I at least ran into the best quote I've ever come across that totally relates to my personal life. "I'm a whole different kind of cunt from what you're used to dealing with.. I'm from The League of Extraordinary Cuntywomen." This phrase resonates with me at the moment.

Despite that little fun factoid though, it does get more fascinating after realizing I hadn't missed an issue and I w...more
Darian
Disappointing.

The toilet humour (of which there is aplenty) is lame.

Ashley Wood does nice covers, but he sucks at interiors and rendering action. Perhaps if he used a few more colours instead of a monochromatic approach, it might improve the visual clarity of the panels. As it is, it's a mess; that's true here, and it's true also of Zombies vs Robots.

Can't believe I made it through the whole volume, but then again I skipped plenty of pages. It's a steaming pile of sh*te (with only a few hidden...more
Ariane
Oh, I am SO happy that Tank Girl & Co. are back, aren't you? This volume was just as much fun as the originals. I miss Jamie Hewlett's raunchy art but Ashley Wood and Rufus Dayglo make a pretty good team. The pencils and colors are excellent, and I'm happy to report that there is a cover gallery in the back. Damn, this book looks good! And Martin is still at the top of his game as a writer. He really makes the characters who they are; Tank Girl just didn't feel the same in The Odyssey and Ap...more
Alice Urchin
The art is totally fantastic. I love all of the different panel layouts, the drawing style, and the way it's colored. It makes me want to experiment more with the way that I draw and layout comics. The stories are mostly short and funny—a little too much bathroom humor for my taste, but Tank Girl is still pretty awesome.
Jamil
i think i've decided tank girl as a concept is just lost on me. or maybe i'm just not steeped in scatalogical brit humour (like benny hill?) enough to actually get it. that said I really dig the cartooning by ashley wood & rufus dayglo. yeah, sure, they ain't jaime hewlett, but i think the lads make a go of it.
Furu
I was weary of this new Tank Girl incarnation, but I like Ashley Wood's style, and it's nice that Jamie Hewlett had to be replaced, he was replaced with a talented lady! Pretty awesome!
Nicole
Pretty good, but the first half felt out of touch.. The action and dialogue livens up in the second half of the book and you start to feel like Tank Girl has come back.
Lindsay
Illustrations are beautiful, story line... not anywhere near as good as the older Tank Girl comics.
Georgia
Georgia is currently reading it
Jul 18, 2014
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2014
Johnny Zombie-writer
Johnny Zombie-writer marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2014
Lesley
Lesley marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2014
Isis Lee
Isis Lee marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2014
Andrewj11
Andrewj11 marked it as to-read
May 27, 2014
Shëëy Ramone
Shëëy Ramone marked it as to-read
May 15, 2014
Steve
Steve added it
Apr 27, 2014
Buck
Buck marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2014
  • Noir: A Collection of Crime Comics
  • I Saw You...: Comics Inspired by Real Life Missed Connections
  • The R. Crumb Handbook
  • Love and Rockets, Vol. 22: Ghost of Hoppers
  • Zero Girl (Zero Girl, #1)
  • The Abandoned, Volume 1
  • Meow, Baby!
  • Daredevil, Vol. 2
  • The Art of Jaime Hernandez: The Secrets of Life and Death
  • Graphic Novels: Everything You Need to Know
  • Miniature Sulk
  • The Goon, Volume 9: Calamity of Conscience
  • Black Blizzard
More about Alan Martin...
Tank Girl (Tank Girl, #1) Tank Girl 2 (Tank Girl, #2) Tank Girl 3 (Tank Girl, #3) Tank Girl The Collection Tank Girl Armadillo!: A Novel

“4 million volts course like lovers through her body. Eerie rays eliminate from bulbous cathodes to caress her skin penetrating deep. Also somewhat like lovers, actually. Chemicals so secret they don't even have names and bubbles and spurts in her vein.” 4 likes