Start by marking “Mary Anne's Makeover (The Baby-Sitters Club, #60)” as Want to Read:
Mary Anne's Makeover (The Baby-Sitters Club, #60)

Mary Anne's Makeover (The Baby-Sitters Club #60)

3.61  ·  Rating Details ·  1,265 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
When Mary Anne sees a picture of a haircut that she really likes, the Baby-sitters don't pay much attention to it. They like good old Mary Anne just the way she is.

But Mary Anne really wants to get the haircut. So she goes ahead and gets it - along with some new clothes and a little makeup. Mary Anne can't wait for her friends to see her.

What a mistake! The Baby-sitters ca

Published February 2nd 1993 by Scholastic Paperbacks (first published December 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Mary Anne's Makeover, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mary Anne's Makeover

Shira
Jun 17, 2016 Shira rated it really liked it
this is my first time reading this book!

in this tolerable mary anne book (I know, how could it be tolerable and be narrated by mary anne?) written by ghostwriter Peter Lerangis, mary anne gets what sounds like a louise brooks-style haircut. her dad takes her to the mall for the haircut and lets her buy some new makeup and new clothes too. the baby-sitters all hate her new look, mostly because dawn tells them to/they're the worst, and mary anne gets weirdly popular with the shallow crowd at schoo
Individualfrog
Identity is a trap. We are all living under the weight of our own pasts, and the expectations that this has set in the minds of the people we know. I think Thomas Jefferson said something about rewriting all the laws every few years, so that the past should have no tyranny over the present; I would settle for some kind of periodic personal amnesty where we could change styles and pop-music tastes without comments from friends and loved ones. These days the past is more tyrannical than ever in ...more
sj
Jun 09, 2012 sj rated it liked it
Oh, man. I'm kind of glad I stopped reading these before this one came out.

Long story short, Mary Anne decides she's tired of being the same old her, so she asks her dad to take her to get her hair cut. He does, and takes her shopping for new clothes and make up at the same time.

Of course, this is enough for ALL OF THE BSC MEMBERS to act like total snapebags toward her for most of the book.

Not because they're jealous, no. Because they're hurt that she didn't invite them along.

Jeez. When I was
Allison Floyd
OMG, the babysitters are such total b-words to Mary Anne in this book, and she ends up apologizing to them! All because she had the nerve to get a new look—after many derisive comments from the BSC that she wouldn't dare. And then when she does dare? More derision!

Oh, hell, no.

She does show more of a spine in this one, but damn if she isn't also simultaneously reverting to her old invertebrate ways.

If you aren't rooting for Mary Anne to get some real friends and for Dawn to choke on an alfalfa
Sarah B
Jun 10, 2011 Sarah B rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
08/30/2009
Mary Anne gets a make-over and her so-called "friends" treat her like crap because she didn't consult them. I pretty much hated everybody in this book except the Arnold twins.
Passive-aggressive douchery FTL.
Ciara
Dec 04, 2010 Ciara rated it liked it
the book opens with mary anne babysitting for the arnold twins, & you can tell right away that it's a lerangis book, because when carolyn tries to communicate something up the stairs from the basement, it is written in phonetic gibberish. lerangis loves his allergy-speak & muffle-speak. carolyn is in the basement because she is building a time machine. this is our babysitting B-plot.

the A-plot gets going on the babysitters club meeting that afternoon, when mary anne pages through one of
Laura Hughes
Apr 07, 2013 Laura Hughes rated it it was ok
Shelves: babysitters-club
Mary Anne gets a haircut.
That is the plot of this book.

The BSC, for some reason, is 100% opposed to Mary Anne’s new look. Mary Anne is so upset by their disapproval that she cancels plans with them and stops going to meetings (she just can’t face them), opening her up to renewed BSC criticism that she is a slacker and ditches her girlfriends for her boyfriend. Finally they talk things out, of course. A subplot where Carolyn Arnold claims to be building a real time machine and goes so far as to t
April
May 01, 2013 April rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed, childrens

Awesome books that girls will love! And the
Heatherblakely
Dec 16, 2015 Heatherblakely rated it liked it
I never liked this one because a) I didn't like Mary Anne and b) I'm sure she looked awful with short hair and c) when I was a kid I hated when girls cut their hair at all (always into the femmes, even as a small child) (when Hannah from S Club 7 cut her hair, I was ENRAGED) and since I already disliked Mary Anne, this one threw me into all out hatred.

"Her friends weren't supportive of her haircut" WELL I'M SURE SHE LOOKED HORRIBLE
Sally
Oct 03, 2011 Sally rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens, bsc
Mary Anne gets a haircut and a makeover and a new wardrobe and the other girls totally freak out and act all bitchy towards her and WTF, what happened to friends saying "you look great!" even when you don't?! Did they not get that memo? They act like it's the worst disaster ever that she's "changed"... wow. Loved the drama, though! (It's beside the point that I think Mary Anne's hair looks crap on the cover of this. I'm not one of her BFFs and if I was, I'd tell her she looks rad.)
Kate
Mary Anne gets an update from her braids and schoolgirl outfits to leggings and a short haircut. New and improved? Eh. But now she's getting more attention at school and Logan is jealous, and so is Dawn? For me the part that stands out most is when some hair falls in her eyes and she thinks a spider landed on her head.
Jenny
May 10, 2015 Jenny rated it liked it
19/25
3 opinion

I must have skipped around in reading these.... what happened to BSC #26-59?
Rhiannon1220
Aug 06, 2008 Rhiannon1220 rated it really liked it
This whole series is great for girls between 11-15 years old. I read every last one of them as I was growing up.
Hadia
Never get a huge makeover and buy a lot of things if you are meaning it to be a surprise to all of your family and friends.
Aspen Scafa
Aspen Scafa rated it really liked it
Nov 26, 2011
Marissa
Marissa rated it liked it
Dec 11, 2010
Jenica E Eder
Jenica E Eder rated it really liked it
Nov 26, 2015
Rebecca
Rebecca rated it liked it
Apr 10, 2016
Isabella Neho
Isabella Neho rated it it was ok
Oct 12, 2015
Lettie
Lettie rated it it was amazing
Jan 21, 2008
Krystal
Krystal rated it really liked it
Jun 09, 2014
Aubree Bowling
Aubree Bowling rated it liked it
Sep 24, 2016
Sheena
Sheena rated it did not like it
Jan 12, 2009
Melanie
Melanie rated it really liked it
Feb 12, 2013
Ceren
Ceren rated it it was ok
Nov 17, 2013
Rileyprimrose
Rileyprimrose rated it it was ok
Aug 01, 2015
Becky
Becky rated it liked it
Mar 27, 2012
Hunter Collins
Hunter Collins rated it it was amazing
Jun 25, 2015
Amanda
Amanda rated it really liked it
Jan 15, 2012
Mykayla
Mykayla rated it liked it
May 15, 2011
  • First Place (Sweet Valley Twins, #8)

More about Ann M. Martin...

The Baby-Sitters Club (1 - 10 of 132 books)
  • Kristy's Great Idea (The Baby-Sitters Club, #1)
  • Claudia and the Phantom Phone Calls (The Baby-sitters Club, #2)
  • The Truth About Stacey (The Baby-Sitters Club, #3)
  • Mary Anne Saves the Day (The Baby-Sitters Club, #4)
  • Dawn and the Impossible Three (The Baby-Sitters Club, #5)
  • Kristy's Big Day (The Baby-Sitters Club, #6)
  • Claudia and Mean Janine (The Baby-Sitters Club, #7)
  • Boy-Crazy Stacey (The Baby-Sitters Club, #8)
  • The Ghost at Dawn's House (The Baby-Sitters Club, #9)
  • Logan Likes Mary Anne! (The Baby-Sitters Club, #10)

“Did you do something crazy, like cut it all off?” “Well,” I said, “not all.” “But it’s real short, right?” “Yeah, but —” “Why did you do it?” 1 likes
“Dawn be so rotten?” 1 likes