O My Darling

O My Darling

2.89 of 5 stars 2.89  ·  rating details  ·  117 ratings  ·  19 reviews
O My Darling tells the story of a devoted young couple whose marriage begins to implode when they move into their first house. The external lives of Clark, a high school guidance counselor, and Charlotte, a bookkeeper, are utterly ordinary, but their interior lives are as bold and complex as abstract paintings colored by imagined possibilities, childhood joys and, more dar...more
Published May 17th 2006 by Other Press (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about O My Darling, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about O My Darling

Tq
I don't know where Sarah Shun-Lien Bynum and Adam Haslett- from the cover blurb- got "bristling with humor" out of this book because there is no real humor to be had, nor any "scalpel-sharp sentences". What you will get is a vague story about a yuppie couple with no personality moving into a town full of equally yuppie old people and kids with no personality, and a father who is both gruff and old-fashioned and yet spouts of silly things better suited to an episode of "Everybody Loves Raymond".

N...more
Abbie
Such a charming little story. I don't know if I understand how the dad fits into it - the lesson he wanted Clark to learn, i don't quite get - but I loved the melody of the writing and the interactions between Clark and Charlotte.

I wish there'd been more of a linear telling - less little events - but it worked for this kind of novel.

Leesmenu
Ieder huis zijn kruis. Het is een keukenwijsheid die jonggehuwden Clark en Charlotte Adair aan den lijve mogen ondervinden in Amity Gaiges Alledaagse Wanen, de vertaling van de roman waarmee de auteur van het veelgeprezen Schroder in 2005 debuteerde.

We ontmoeten Clark en Charlotte wanneer ze net hun intrek hebben genomen in hun eerste huis samen, het geelste hoopje bakstenen in het idyllische Clementine. De locatie mag dan met honing overgoten lijken, zeemzoeterigheid is een smaak die Gaige – de...more
Lo
A sweet romance novel. Though I'm not really sure what the shadows they saw were, I loved reading about Charlotte and Clark throughout this book.
Jasmin Garcia
The book was about this two newly wedded cuplel, that has resontly movie to a town where they live in a "yellow dream house". Clark, is a tall and skinny man,curly heair, with blue eyes. Charlotte is a young women, long blond hair,and blue eyes. They are both starinng out there new life married. in the second Chapter explanes Clark's family. then it gose in to a flash back of the day his mother died. Clark mother was a very crazy women. she would tell him story about the way things where; for ex...more
Chrystal Hays
This is a very good novel that deals beautifully with human relationships and at the same time has a creepy, supernatural feel. I enjoyed it very much. It does not tie up all the loose ends at the finish....as in life we don't get pat answers, either. VERY well-written.
Heather
What a lack of follow through. You could have stopped reading mid novel and it would have been just as good as the ending.
Boring story of a boring marriage trying to sell itself as a "ghost story"
Angela Wade
The writing was beautiful. I'm just not sure what the point of the story was?
Adrienne
By a college roommate of mine! I didn't love it overall -- not enough plot and the characters were just too unsympathetic for me. But I did appreciate much of the imagery and phrasing.
Julie
A lovely little first novel about the state of a young marriage. Very well written- I just read "Schroder" by Gaige, but liked this much better.
Rebecca Kaplan
Started off with promise but left me feeling confused and wondering if I missed something.
Fay
This is the author's debut novel. It reminds me of Anne Tyler at her very best!!!
Marian
Slightly strange story (not a lot actually happens) but Gaige can certainly write.
Shauna
Nice use of language, originally descriptive. A fast read. Not much depth.
Cynthia
Not as good as The Folded World, but still pretty good.
Courtney Milford
Boring and confusing but not scary.
Diana
It reads almost like a long poetic meditation or a very long short story. Some of the images and sentences are glowing. The plot wasn't the strongest I've read, but it didn't matter that much because I wanted to keep reading and I appreciated that it was in no way formulaic. The writing is lovely.
PWRL
Jul 10, 2012 PWRL marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012-new
SM
Alex
Alex marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2014
Cheryl
Cheryl marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2014
Rosie
Rosie marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2014
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2014
Nathalie De neve
Nathalie De neve marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2014
Svenden86
Svenden86 marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2014
  • Rustication
  • Famine
  • Last Last Chance
  • Doktor Glass
  • Misdiagnosis And Dual Diagnoses Of Gifted Children And Adults: ADHD, Bipolar, OCD, Asperger's, Depression, and Other Disorders
  • How to Escape from a Leper Colony
  • Incarnate
  • One More Year: Stories
  • Buddhism for Mothers of Young Children: Becoming a Mindful Parent
  • Project-Based Homeschooling: Mentoring Self-Directed Learners
  • Bound (The Nevermore Trilogy, #2)
  • Good Kids
  • Once the Shore
  • Home Learning Year by Year: How to Design a Homeschool Curriculum from Preschool Through High School
  • Masques And Wolfsbane (Sianim, #1 and #4)
  • The Sweet Relief of Missing Children
  • Third Class Superhero
  • The Gathering Dead (The Gathering Dead, #1)
Amity Gaige is the author of the acclaimed novel, O My Darling, for which she was chosen by the National Book Foundation for its “5 under 35” recognition. She teaches at the University of Rhode Island’s Feinstein Providence Campus and at Mt. Holyoke College in Massachusetts.
More about Amity Gaige...
Schroder The Folded World We Are a Thunderstorm