Goodreads helps you keep track of books you want to read.
Start by marking “O My Darling” as Want to Read:
O My Darling
Enlarge cover
Rate this book
Clear rating
Open Preview

O My Darling

2.96 of 5 stars 2.96  ·  rating details  ·  149 ratings  ·  24 reviews
O My Darling tells the story of a devoted young couple whose marriage begins to implode when they move into their first house. The external lives of Clark, a high school guidance counselor, and Charlotte, a bookkeeper, are utterly ordinary, but their interior lives are as bold and complex as abstract paintings colored by imagined possibilities, childhood joys and, more dar ...more
Paperback, 248 pages
Published May 17th 2006 by Other Press (first published 2005)
more details... edit details

Friend Reviews

To see what your friends thought of this book, please sign up.

Reader Q&A

To ask other readers questions about O My Darling, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about O My Darling

This book is not yet featured on Listopia. Add this book to your favorite list »

Community Reviews

(showing 1-30 of 503)
filter  |  sort: default (?)  |  rating details
Tq
I don't know where Sarah Shun-Lien Bynum and Adam Haslett- from the cover blurb- got "bristling with humor" out of this book because there is no real humor to be had, nor any "scalpel-sharp sentences". What you will get is a vague story about a yuppie couple with no personality moving into a town full of equally yuppie old people and kids with no personality, and a father who is both gruff and old-fashioned and yet spouts of silly things better suited to an episode of "Everybody Loves Raymond".

N
...more
Annemarie
Wel aardig voor een debuut, sommige hoofdstukken zijn een stuk sterker dan andere.

De introductie van de vader van Clark aan het einde van het verhaal voegt weinig toe. Het 'inzicht' dat Clark op het einde krijgt, had misschien ook zonder Wallace gekund. Het personage van Charlotte had beter kunnen worden uitgewerkt in het begin, zodat de parallel en de tegenstelling duidelijker en aangrijpender zou worden.
Leesmenu
Ieder huis zijn kruis. Het is een keukenwijsheid die jonggehuwden Clark en Charlotte Adair aan den lijve mogen ondervinden in Amity Gaiges Alledaagse Wanen, de vertaling van de roman waarmee de auteur van het veelgeprezen Schroder in 2005 debuteerde.

We ontmoeten Clark en Charlotte wanneer ze net hun intrek hebben genomen in hun eerste huis samen, het geelste hoopje bakstenen in het idyllische Clementine. De locatie mag dan met honing overgoten lijken, zeemzoeterigheid is een smaak die Gaige – de
...more
Angela Wade
The writing was beautiful. I'm just not sure what the point of the story was?
Jasmin Garcia
The book was about this two newly wedded cuplel, that has resontly movie to a town where they live in a "yellow dream house". Clark, is a tall and skinny man,curly heair, with blue eyes. Charlotte is a young women, long blond hair,and blue eyes. They are both starinng out there new life married. in the second Chapter explanes Clark's family. then it gose in to a flash back of the day his mother died. Clark mother was a very crazy women. she would tell him story about the way things where; for ex ...more
Ief Stuyvaert
Mooie zinnen vormen kleine hoofdstukjes in het alledaagse (jawel) leven van een jong stel. De emoties zijn vaak herkenbaar, maar de zeer Amerikaanse kleinstedelijke omgeving misschien net iets te ver van mijn (ons) bed. En wat erger is: het kan je op het einde niet echt veel meer schelen hoe het met Charlotte en Clark afloopt. Neen, dan liever 'Schroder', want schrijven kan Gaige.
Chrystal Hays
This is a very good novel that deals beautifully with human relationships and at the same time has a creepy, supernatural feel. I enjoyed it very much. It does not tie up all the loose ends at the finish....as in life we don't get pat answers, either. VERY well-written.
Cajou
Un roman bizarre à tous points de vue. L'ambiance, les personnages, et surtout l'histoire, un peu sans queue ni tête...
Heather
What a lack of follow through. You could have stopped reading mid novel and it would have been just as good as the ending.
Sarah
Boring story of a boring marriage trying to sell itself as a "ghost story"
Matthew
Perhaps I enjoyed this more than I normally would have coming off the back of reading a real stinker but I completely loved this book. I loved it's ambiguity and the depth of the characterisation. I totally believed in every person in the story and their relationships, some of the passages were just beautifully written. The possible 'supernatural' element, the unclear ending, the central married couple, everything just felt really nicely put together and real. Some achievement for a debut novel.
Paul Degrande
Claustrofobisch inkijkje van een idylle tussen jonggehuwden dat de eerste scheurtjes begint te vertonen. Algauw verworden hun neurotische trekjes tot heuse wanen die vanuit de pas ingetrokken woning lijken te komen. - En zo zijn ze voor elk van hen met zijn drieën, voor de lezer met zijn vieren.
Benieuwd hoe de woning er uitziet?
Abbie
Such a charming little story. I don't know if I understand how the dad fits into it - the lesson he wanted Clark to learn, i don't quite get - but I loved the melody of the writing and the interactions between Clark and Charlotte.

I wish there'd been more of a linear telling - less little events - but it worked for this kind of novel.

Adrienne
By a college roommate of mine! I didn't love it overall -- not enough plot and the characters were just too unsympathetic for me. But I did appreciate much of the imagery and phrasing.
Julie
A lovely little first novel about the state of a young marriage. Very well written- I just read "Schroder" by Gaige, but liked this much better.
Lo
A sweet romance novel. Though I'm not really sure what the shadows they saw were, I loved reading about Charlotte and Clark throughout this book.
Rebecca Kaplan
Started off with promise but left me feeling confused and wondering if I missed something.
Fay
This is the author's debut novel. It reminds me of Anne Tyler at her very best!!!
Marian
Slightly strange story (not a lot actually happens) but Gaige can certainly write.
Shauna
Nice use of language, originally descriptive. A fast read. Not much depth.
Cynthia
Not as good as The Folded World, but still pretty good.
Courtney Milford
Boring and confusing but not scary.
Diana
It reads almost like a long poetic meditation or a very long short story. Some of the images and sentences are glowing. The plot wasn't the strongest I've read, but it didn't matter that much because I wanted to keep reading and I appreciated that it was in no way formulaic. The writing is lovely.
PWRL
Jul 10, 2012 PWRL marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012-new
SM
Kristen Soles
Kristen Soles marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2015
Elizabeth Hisle
Elizabeth Hisle marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2015
Ann Crisi
Ann Crisi marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 16 17 next »
There are no discussion topics on this book yet. Be the first to start one »
  • Rustication
  • Left with the Dead (The Gathering Dead, #1.5)
  • That Bird Has My Wings: The Autobiography of an Innocent Man on Death Row
  • Exiles
  • The Obsidian Key (The Legend of Asahiel, #2)
  • Get Down: Stories
  • Famine
  • Guiding the Gifted Child: A Practical Source for Parents and Teachers
  • Gifted Grownups: The Mixed Blessings of Extraordinary Potential
  • Different Minds: Gifted Children with Ad/Hd, Asperger Syndrome, and Other Learning Deficits
  • Circles Around the Sun: In Search of a Lost Brother
  • When the Brain Can't Hear: Unraveling the Mystery of Auditory Processing Disorder
  • Last Last Chance
  • One More Year: Stories
  • Doktor Glass
  • One for the Morning Glory
  • Buddhism for Mothers of Young Children: Becoming a Mindful Parent
  • How to Escape from a Leper Colony
273348
Amity Gaige is the author of the acclaimed novel, O My Darling, for which she was chosen by the National Book Foundation for its “5 under 35” recognition. She teaches at the University of Rhode Island’s Feinstein Providence Campus and at Mt. Holyoke College in Massachusetts.
More about Amity Gaige...
Schroder The Folded World We Are a Thunderstorm O My Darling: A Novel

Share This Book