Start by marking “Layer Cake, Jelly Roll & Charm Quilts” as Want to Read:
Layer Cake, Jelly Roll & Charm Quilts

Layer Cake, Jelly Roll & Charm Quilts

17 beautifully diverse quilting projects show you how to get the most from the latest irresistible pre-cut fabric bundles. Created from one layer cake jelly roll or charm pack each quilt offers ingenious ideas to use pre-cut fabric collections with little or no waste. Softcover F&W Media Inc
Published June 15th 2009 by David & Charles (first published May 18th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Layer Cake, Jelly Roll & Charm Quilts, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Layer Cake, Jelly Roll & Charm Quilts

Sylvia
Mar 24, 2017 Sylvia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Would have given it 5 stars but

The Jitterbug quilt appears twice. Wants, in the early part of the directions it morphs into some other quilt, and then appears again as the next quilt which following the directions you then get an actual jitterbug. Anybody else have this snafu?
JayeL
Aug 20, 2011 JayeL added it
Shelves: quilt, 2011, borrowed
This is almost a pure project book and I wouldn't even have picked it up if Frances and Sandy hadn't talked about it over and over. Frances has definitely picked my favorites out of the quilts in this book.

One pattern I can't get out of my mind is Stepping Stones, pg.72-79. It is one of the more complex patterns and includes four patches. If I made it, I would want to use fabric on hand, so I have spent some commute time daydreaming about various color variations, whether I would start cutting
Emily
Dec 08, 2012 Emily rated it really liked it
Shelves: craft-quilting
I've come a little late to the pre-cut party but lately I've become obsessed. I enjoyed looking through all the ideas here. There are a few things I especially like about the book : 1)they tell you what pre-asembled pre-cuts you can use, but they also tell you how many pieces to cut if you are making your own and not buying a pre-asembled pack. Since I have quite a bit of stash, I like the idea of cutting my own. They also mention somewhere that you can cut fat quarters to make 2 layer cakes and ...more
Nonnie
Sep 20, 2011 Nonnie rated it liked it
There are some lovely quilts in here made with pre cuts.

I did have a problem making a block using their directions for a couple of the quilts. I would want the size of the units written in the directions that would save me trying to figure it out and give me a check to make sure I am making the units correctly. I think all patterns/ book should have sizes for their units.

I cut my strips from my stash or add self cut strips in neutral / lights and darks to the precuts to make the blocks. My bigg
Katie
Sep 17, 2014 Katie added it
Shelves: quilting
Love the Hidden Stars and Diamonds at Large. Worth buying.
Candy
May 26, 2015 Candy rated it liked it
Shelves: quilting
The hexagon quilt where you sew half-hexagons together in strips and then sew the strips together was pretty interesting. Mostly I just enjoyed looking at the pictures!
Leslie Hickman
Oct 25, 2012 Leslie Hickman rated it really liked it
Shelves: hobbies
There is a couple I might consider trying, just not sure which first.
Thorn MotherIssues
Mar 26, 2012 Thorn MotherIssues rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2012
I probably won't do any projects directly from this (still only interested in English paper piecing) but I'm trying to learn the basics of building a quilt.
Sherri
Nov 22, 2011 Sherri rated it liked it
Shelves: quilting
Like the raspberry ripple and a few other patterns.
Tracy
Jan 22, 2012 Tracy rated it really liked it
Interesting combinations of blocks. Easy designs but visually interesting.
Susie
Feb 14, 2016 Susie rated it really liked it
There are at least 4 quilts in this book that appeal to me.
Liz
Jitterbug
Stepping Stones
Stormy Weather
Mary Matejcek
Mary Matejcek rated it it was ok
Oct 07, 2015
Candielouhoo
Candielouhoo rated it it was amazing
Jan 07, 2011
Michelle Hendrix
Michelle Hendrix rated it liked it
Jul 08, 2014
Clare
Clare rated it liked it
Jan 15, 2016
Susan
Susan rated it it was amazing
Feb 17, 2015
Jennifer (JC-S)
Jennifer (JC-S) rated it it was amazing
Jun 26, 2009
Mona
Mona rated it it was amazing
May 15, 2014
Rebekka
Rebekka rated it really liked it
Sep 09, 2011
Sharon L. Gilman
Sharon L. Gilman rated it it was amazing
Dec 16, 2015
lmold44
lmold44 rated it really liked it
Nov 02, 2015
Kim
Kim rated it really liked it
Mar 31, 2010
Vera
Vera rated it liked it
Jan 28, 2010
Sylwia
Sylwia rated it really liked it
Sep 05, 2014
Stitchcraftcreate
Stitchcraftcreate rated it it was amazing
Jan 21, 2013
Judith Mosconi
Judith Mosconi rated it it was amazing
Dec 23, 2014
April T. Verne rated it liked it
Dec 26, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Material Obsession Two: Shared Inspiration
  • Material Obsession: Modern Quilts with Traditional Roots (Stc Craft)
  • The Practical Guide to Patchwork: New Basics for the Modern Quiltmaker: 12 Quilt Projects
  • Make a Quilt in a Day: Log Cabin Pattern
  • The Modern Quilt Workshop: Patterns, Techniques, and Designs from the FunQuilts Studio
  • Sunday Morning Quilts: 16 Modern Scrap Projects Sort, Store, and Use Every Last Bit of Your Treasured Fabrics
  • Fresh Quilting: Fearless Color, Design, & Inspiration
  • Quilts from the House of Tula Pink: 20 Fabric Projects to Make, Use and Love
  • The Farmer's Wife Sampler Quilt: 55 Letters and the 111 Blocks They Inspired
  • Quilter's Complete Guide
  • Heirloom Machine Quilting: A Comprehensive Guide to Hand-Quilting Effects Using Your Sewing Machine
  • Block Party: The Modern Quilting Bee: The Journey of 12 Women, 1 Blog & 12 Improvisational Projects
  • Modern Log Cabin Quilting: 25 Simple Quilts and Patchwork Projects
  • Scrap Therapy Cut the Scraps!: 7 Steps to Quilting Your Way through Your Stash
  • Free-Motion Quilting with Angela Walters: Choose & Use Quilting Designs on Modern Quilts
  • Quilting Modern: Techniques and Projects for Improvisational Quilts
  • Sylvia's Bridal Sampler from Elm Creek Quilts: The True Story Behind the Quilt - 140 Traditional Blocks
  • Machine Quilting Made Easy!: Perpetual Calendar