Start by marking “Decorating Is Fun!: How to Be Your Own Decorator” as Want to Read:
Decorating Is Fun!: How to Be Your Own Decorator

Decorating Is Fun!: How to Be Your Own Decorator

4.07 of 5 stars 4.07  ·  rating details  ·  42 ratings  ·  4 reviews
This is a book about how to have a good time decorating. - Dorothy Draper After being out of print for more than sixty years, Decorating Is Fun! is finally being reissued with its original illustrations. Amazingly, the book which was originally published in 1939 on the eve of World War II, is still practical, amusing, and inspirational. Draper's earnest enthusiasm feels fr ...more
Published January 16th 2007 by Shannongrove Press, Inc. (first published 1939)

To ask other readers questions about Decorating Is Fun!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Decorating Is Fun!

Alix
I bought this book years ago, after staying in a hotel decorated by a Dorthy Draper devotee, and have picked it up from time to time. Well, I finally got serious and read the whole thing. It is less a book about how to as it is a combination of practical advise and flights of fancy that I really enjoyed.

For a book published in 1939, it is interesting to read of style trends that have come back around (a few times).
Amy
Another fun read but not as much fun as her book on Entertaining. A few suggestions had me recoiling in horror (she suggests removing any stained glass windows you have and I adore stained glass), some had me laughing (her suggestion on wallpapering your ceilings), and others were great (suggestions on sizing lamps was very useful).
Susan
In the middle of this witty "how to" book by Dorothy Draper (originally published in 1939). Ms. Draper decorated the Greenbrier in WV and had a vibrant, bold style. Interesting to note how home decorating styles have -- and haven't -- changed over time.
Gail
It is an oldie, but classic goodie. Some decorating ideas are dated, but many of Dorothy Draper's tips and suggestions are timeless. Wish I had know about this book much earlier.
Lisa Twedt
Lisa Twedt marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2015
Katie Rose
Katie Rose marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2015
Kathy Emmerling
Kathy Emmerling is currently reading it
Feb 14, 2015
Ingrid Ioana
Ingrid Ioana marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2015
Hisela Arzu
Hisela Arzu marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2015
Erin
Erin marked it as to-read
Jan 06, 2015
Wqwqw
Wqwqw marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2014
Amy Scholer
Amy Scholer marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2014
Debra Winslow
Debra Winslow marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2014
Scarlett
Scarlett marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2014
Debbie Fleming
Debbie Fleming marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2014
Yancy
Yancy marked it as to-read
May 15, 2014
Maureen
Maureen marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2014
Pelagia
Pelagia marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2014
Jamie
Jamie marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Entertaining is Fun: How to Be a Popular Hostess Entertaining Is Fun: How to Be a Popular Hostess Signed By Carelton Varney

“I believe in doing the thing you feel is right. If it looks right, it is right.” 6 likes